View Full Version : A sad statistic for OK

kelroy55
10-22-2013, 09:30 AM
Oklahoma ranks No. 3 in number of women killed by men | News OK (http://newsok.com/oklahoma-ranks-no.-3-in-number-of-women-killed-by-men/article/3896304)

jerrywall
10-22-2013, 11:22 AM
Hopefully HB 1912 that was passed earlier this year helps with some of this.

kelroy55
10-22-2013, 11:25 AM
I hope so too

Bellaboo
10-22-2013, 11:40 AM
This is not good, but in the charts, it is lower than 5 during the previous 15 years, per capita wise.

Bunty
10-22-2013, 01:21 PM
Oklahoma women seem to be hard to get along with, since the state is no. one for imprisonment of women. But some of that is due to Oklahoma having a lower level of value than for most states for what you shoplift when it becomes a felony.

Plutonic Panda
10-22-2013, 01:28 PM
They YMCA just raised $15 million dollars to fund a new shelter for victims of domestic violence: YWCA Oklahoma City completes $15M capital campaign » Local News » The Edmond Sun (http://www.edmondsun.com/local/x703143889/YWCA-Oklahoma-City-completes-15M-capital-campaign)

'YWCA Oklahoma City completes $15M capital campaign
Special to The Sun

OKLA. CITY — Jan Peery, YWCA Oklahoma City chief executive officer, announced Monday that the $15 million capital campaign goal has been reached with the support of just more than 500 donors.

“We are so appreciative of the generosity and support of our community and those who are passionate about ending domestic violence,” Peery said.

“The YWCA Oklahoma City would like to express our deep appreciation for every dollar that helped us reach the goal and to our lead gift donors, Phyllis and Allen Pease and The Valentine Charitable Trust, which helped us kick off in January 2012,” Peery said. “The Mabee Foundation helped us close out the campaign in October 2013. Each dollar in between helped us reach our goal. We also want to thank our Capital Campaign Committee for all of their work to ensure our success, especially the campaign leaders: Rita Moore, Tricia Everest, Lela Sullivan, Charlotte Richels, Kris Frankfurt, David Hudiburg.”

Funds raised by the YWCA Oklahoma City Capital Campaign will build a new shelter for victims of domestic violence. The current shelter holds 52 beds while the new shelter will sleep 120, more than doubling the number of individuals currently receiving shelter. The current shelter will be transformed to an extended stay facility that gives victims the time they need to work toward self sufficiency.

“The new shelter will provide a sanctuary for those trying to rebuild and heal,” said Marilyn Chambers, YWCA board chairwoman.

The YWCA Oklahoma City is the only certified domestic violence, sexual assault and stalking shelter in Oklahoma County'

- See more at: YWCA Oklahoma City completes $15M capital campaign » Local News » The Edmond Sun (http://www.edmondsun.com/local/x703143889/YWCA-Oklahoma-City-completes-15M-capital-campaign#sthash.nmF8ynIy.dpuf)

MustangGT
10-22-2013, 01:42 PM
Way too many women tolerate and even allow themselves to be abused. Until all abuse victims come forward, prosecute, and dump the brutal louts then it will continue. When a women goes back into an abusive relationship sympathy will not be forthcoming from me.

Plutonic Panda
10-22-2013, 01:46 PM
I agree, it can be so frustrating watching a woman stay with a guy who beats her, the feeling is indescribable unless you've felt it about someone you care about. Almost makes you want to blow the guys head off, but then there is that pesky prison thing :/ Lucky that experience is over now and she eventually left him; only after being arrested on a complaint of armed robbery, with her dads weapon I might add.

okcboomer
10-22-2013, 02:08 PM
If only we were in the Bible Belt. Oh wait.........

Dubya61
10-22-2013, 02:44 PM
Way too many women tolerate and even allow themselves to be abused. Until all abuse victims come forward, prosecute, and dump the brutal louts then it will continue. When a women goes back into an abusive relationship sympathy will not be forthcoming from me.

I fully understand your mindset, but disagree completely. Some people just can't avoid an abusive relationship and it's a mystery to me as to why. Hope springs eternal that this person or this time will be different.

MustangGT
10-22-2013, 02:48 PM
I fully understand your mindset, but disagree completely. Some people just can't avoid an abusive relationship and it's a mystery to me as to why. Hope springs eternal that this person or this time will be different.

Then maybe the smart play is to avoid ALL romantic relationships that could lead to domestic abuse.

Dubya61
10-22-2013, 02:54 PM
Then maybe the smart play is to avoid ALL romantic relationships that could lead to domestic abuse.

You could be right, but then one day our hapless victim-to-be will be in Hallmark and read a card that says, "It's better to have lost in love than to never have loved at all," and not realize that an abusive relationship isn't just "losing" in love, it's much worse.

RadicalModerate
10-22-2013, 06:08 PM
You could be right, but then one day our hapless victim-to-be will be in Hallmark and read a card that says, "It's better to have lost in love than to never have loved at all," and not realize that an abusive relationship isn't just "losing" in love, it's much worse.

this may account for much of the alleged anger in the countries controlled by Islam.
(hey . . . religion/politics was already mentioned at Post #9 . . . give a guy a break fer cryin' out loud.)