View Full Version : Music

Prunepicker
10-18-2013, 11:02 PM
Why are so many satisfied with mediocre live music? I'm serious. The
Skirvin, about a year ago, was hiring musicians. Now it's hiring people
who can barely play a few chords and almost play Billy Joel's "Piano Man".

During the 50's the 70's you could hear a quality band any night of
the week and that included pop groups like Maya. Anyone at any
age could enjoy the music and dance with their date. The Burton's
are about the only "real music" band in town.

Years ago any place you went in Bricktown was becoming the same. 5
years ago you could hear quality jazz groups playing at Maker's or Mickey
Mantle's.You could dance with your date (even same sex) and not worry
about it. Now all you can expect is non-jazz musicians trying to play jazz
tunes without a clue as to what they're doing. I'm serious. Who can
dance to that noise unless they're so drunk they can't possibly know
the difference?

What's happened? Has the young crowd become so dumbed down that
they don't the difference between quality music? What's the deal?

Bigrayok
10-18-2013, 11:48 PM
Why are so many satisfied with mediocre live music? I'm serious. The
Skirvin, about a year ago, was hiring musicians. Now it's hiring people
who can barely play a few chords and almost play Billy Joel's "Piano Man".

During the 50's the 70's you could hear a quality band any night of
the week and that included pop groups like Maya. Anyone at any
age could enjoy the music and dance with their date. The Burton's
are about the only "real music" band in town.

Years ago any place you went in Bricktown was becoming the same. 5
years ago you could hear quality jazz groups playing at Maker's or Mickey
Mantle's.You could dance with your date (even same sex) and not worry
about it. Now all you can expect is non-jazz musicians trying to play jazz
tunes without a clue as to what they're doing. I'm serious. Who can
dance to that noise unless they're so drunk they can't possibly know
the difference?

What's happened? Has the young crowd become so dumbed down that
they don't the difference between quality music? What's the deal?

People have said that about Rock & Roll since the 1950's. "It is just a bunch of noise". I walk a lot in Bricktown and have heard a lot of good music coming from the blues club (Used to be the Biting Sow not sure of the name now), Norm's Dockside Bar, the Mantle, Bourbon Street, Whisky Chicks, and Nonna's. I think a lot of the music these days in Bricktown comes from students at the ACM@UCO. They are playing what is trendy now.

Jazz seems to go in cycles. I remember when Bianca's was in The old French Market Mall it was popular during the 80's. Smooth Jazz stations popped up all over the country during the 80's and started disappearing a few years later. In Fort Worth there was the nationally known Caravan of Dreams Jazz club that was operated by a member of the extremely wealthy Bass family that closed a few years ago as well as a very good smooth jazz station that put on great jazz concerts. New Orleans Jazz is having a kind of resurgence with brass brands since Katrina with groups like the Dirty Dozen Brass Band, the Rebirth Brass Band, Trombone Shorty, and Kermit Ruffins. Before Katrina there was only a handful of places to hear jazz in the French Quarter and Faubourg Marigny. Branford Marsalis once complained that New Orleans was not really a jazz town but a blues town.

Some of the best jazz in OKC these days can be heard at the Grand House on Friday nights. I think the demise of Makers did leave a void in places for people to hear good jazz in Bricktwon. Believe it not, Boulevard Cafeteria is a good place to hear a good piano player/singer on Thursday nights. There are old people that get up and dance. It is a hoot.

Bigray in Ok

ljbab728
10-19-2013, 12:00 AM
People have said that about Rock & Roll since the 1950's. "It is just a bunch of noise". I walk a lot in Bricktown and have heard a lot of good music coming from the blues club (Used to be the Biting Sow not sure of the name now), Norm's Dockside Bar, the Mantle, Bourbon Street, Whisky Chicks, and Nonna's. I think a lot of the music these days in Bricktown comes from students at the ACM@UCO. They are playing what is trendy now.

Jazz seems to go in cycles. I remember when Bianca's was in The old French Market Mall it was popular during the 80's. Smooth Jazz stations popped up all over the country during the 80's and started disappearing a few years later. In Fort Worth there was the nationally known Caravan of Dreams Jazz club that was operated by a member of the extremely wealthy Bass family that closed a few years ago as well as a very good smooth jazz station that put on great jazz concerts. New Orleans Jazz is having a kind of resurgence with brass brands since Katrina with groups like the Dirty Dozen Brass Band, the Rebirth Brass Band, Trombone Shorty, and Kermit Ruffins. Before Katrina there was only a handful of places to hear jazz in the French Quarter and Faubourg Marigny. Branford Marsalis once complained that New Orleans was not really a jazz town but a blues town.

Some of the best jazz in OKC these days can be heard at the Grand House on Friday nights. I think the demise of Makers did leave a void in places for people to hear good jazz in Bricktwon. Believe it not, Boulevard Cafeteria is a good place to hear a good piano player/singer on Thursday nights. There are old people that get up and dance. It is a hoot.

Bigray in Ok

Bigray, keep the source of that comment in mind. His idea of good music isn't necessarily what many agree with now. As someone older than pp, I certainly don't pretend to be an expert on that either, I just know what I like and I have a very diverse taste in music.

Midtowner
10-19-2013, 07:48 AM
He's going to the wrong venues. I don't expect amazing music in a hotel bar. If you want jazz, check out the UCO Jazz Lab.

OKCisOK4me
10-19-2013, 08:45 AM
And classical music stations are still on the FM dial... Just saying that the older that music gets the more it phases out.

Prunepicker
10-19-2013, 03:40 PM
People have said that about Rock & Roll since the 1950's. "It is just
a bunch of noise"...
I'm speaking as a professional musician and can tell whether or not
a musician is good or not. :)

I have many friends who play at the Grand House. Known them for
years. They are all fine musicians. It had music before Maker's closed.

Doc Blue owned the Biting Sow, and half of Bricktown it seems probably
still does. His band was pretty good.

Prunepicker
10-19-2013, 03:44 PM
Bigray, keep the source of that comment in mind. His idea of good music
isn't necessarily what many agree with now.
As usual you're wrong. You don't know anything about my tastes in
music which is why you made such an uninformed and unnecessary
post.

Prunepicker
10-19-2013, 03:46 PM
And classical music stations are still on the FM dial... Just saying that
the older that music gets the more it phases out.
I've not noticed classical music being phased out. KCSC has been one
since the 60's.

bchris02
10-19-2013, 03:54 PM
I've not noticed classical music being phased out. KCSC has been one
since the 60's.

I agree. Classical music is a fine art and it will always be around. On the otherhand, standards (Sinatra, Crosby, Como, etc) is not an easy radio format to sell these days. 50s and 60s oldies is close behind.

Prunepicker
10-19-2013, 04:31 PM
I agree. Classical music is a fine art and it will always be around. On the
otherhand, standards (Sinatra, Crosby, Como, etc) is not an easy radio
format to sell these days. 50s and 60s oldies is close behind.
There was a station called "The Martini" and it tried to sell the crooners.
I believe it was in Kingfisher, not sure.

Now there's a comedy station but it doesn't come in very clear. KEBC.

ljbab728
10-19-2013, 10:26 PM
As usual you're wrong. You don't know anything about my tastes in
music which is why you made such an uninformed and unnecessary
post.

Please note that I said nothing about your taste in music. I was commenting about your statement that young people today don't know what quality music is. That is a totally subjective term and means something different to each person. You may know when music is technically good but that doesn't make you an expert on what people like or why they like it. I absolutely detest anything like rap or hip hop but I know many people do. While I don't agree with them I wouldn't say they don't know what quality music is. I also would rather have a root canal than listen to Jazz. Its kind of like elevator music to me and I consider it to be totally boring but is obviously very popular with a large number of people.

I stand by my original comment entirely.

zookeeper
10-19-2013, 10:50 PM
Doc Blue's band was playing last week at this very time at the Biting Sow. I know because I was there. Bigrayok, you are right there is a sign with a "new" name outside, but I was told they still are technically The Biting Sow and, btw, Doc Blue and his band was as good as ever.

I have to agree with PP on a lot of what he said though. Here is just one anecdotal example...on New Year's Eve last year there were ZERO big bands playing in Oklahoma City. My wife just said we tried year before last, but either way, that says something about a lack of musical interest and talent in our city. What is a big city without at least several hotel ballrooms hosting Big Band New Year's Eve parties and packages? Just an example.

bchris02
10-19-2013, 11:35 PM
I have to agree with PP on a lot of what he said though. Here is just one anecdotal example...on New Year's Eve last year there were ZERO big bands playing in Oklahoma City. My wife just said we tried year before last, but either way, that says something about a lack of musical interest and talent in our city. What is a big city without at least several hotel ballrooms hosting Big Band New Year's Eve parties and packages? Just an example.

Live music is a huge weakness in OKC from what I've heard and experienced. Tulsa seems to be the all around live music capital of the state. As for big bands on New Years, when I lived in Charlotte, I usually spent that night in dance clubs so I am not familiar with the scene you are referring to.

ljbab728
10-20-2013, 12:03 AM
Doc Blue's band was playing last week at this very time at the Biting Sow. I know because I was there. Bigrayok, you are right there is a sign with a "new" name outside, but I was told they still are technically The Biting Sow and, btw, Doc Blue and his band was as good as ever.

Evidently you haven't been to or aren't familiar with the "Opening Night" activities in the downtown area. There are multiple venues with just about any kind of entertainment you can imagine. That includes the Al Good Orchestra playing big band music. It doesn't have to be in a hotel with packages. Just an example.

Performers | Arts Council OKC (http://www.artscouncilokc.com/performers)

RadicalModerate
10-20-2013, 03:14 PM
I'm troubled by the local lack of Polka Music*.

Vy, up dere in De Cities dey haf an entire Community Access Cable TV Channel dewoted to Polka music, doncha know. Dey efen haf a show sort o' like American Bandstand! All of d' songs haf a beat and yu can dance to dem! O' course, d' people dancin' in front of de cameras are much older den dem dere teenagers, but . . .

Ya, dere's a definite Polka vacuum round dese here parts. Ya shure, yu betcha.

*not really

Midtowner
10-20-2013, 04:17 PM
I know you're not serious, but last I checked, the Czech Hall in Yukon is still a place to get your Polka on.

As far as a lack of options, I hardly think the number of big bands playing around town during Opening Night is indicative of what's available. There are tons of professional, semiprofessional and amateur ensembles around town (including big bands).

As an amateur violinist, who despite being amateur, can tell as well as PP whether a group is technically any good, I can tell you we have a number of interesting local groups, even some very interesting groups like Banana Seat. While they may not be playing big band standards, there's not nearly as much demand for that these days and musicians wanting to make a living will follow the demand.

That said, if you're in need of a particular group, or interested in finding something, let me know. I do actively play in a large community group, so I know lots of people in the local music world.

Prunepicker
10-20-2013, 05:24 PM
I'm troubled by the local lack of Polka Music*.

Vy, up dere in De Cities dey haf an entire Community Access Cable TV
Channel dewoted to Polka music, doncha know. Dey efen haf a show
sort o' like American Bandstand! All of d' songs haf a beat and yu can
dance to dem! O' course, d' people dancin' in front of de cameras are
much older den dem dere teenagers, but . . .

Ya, dere's a definite Polka vacuum round dese here parts. Ya shure,
yu betcha.

*not really
Until the 90's there were a few venues that had live Polka Bands and
dancin'. Ernie's was very popular.

A friend and I listen to Polka music on Pandora.

RadicalModerate
10-20-2013, 07:56 PM
Yu hafn't liffed until yu done de Chicken Dance.

(actually, the only Polka music i care about is Yankovic's. Weird Al's that is. Not Frankie's.)
(although i have to admit that it was fairly entertaining to watch The Polka Gigolo, on that Community Access Channel, all decked out in his coolest leather Polka leisure suit, hustling those 80 year old cougars.)