View Full Version : 2 Million Year Old Rock Formation Pushed Over

Pages : [1] 2

ThomPaine
10-18-2013, 03:49 PM
Three men face felony raps after toppling ancient rock at Utah state park and cheering - NY Daily News (http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/men-face-felony-raps-toppling-ancient-rock-utah-state-park-cheering-article-1.1489632)

With their thought process, they should never let the rock pusher be in an elevated position - if he fell on a little kid, he would crush him...

HangryHippo
10-18-2013, 04:11 PM
What assholes.

RadicalModerate
10-18-2013, 04:28 PM
What assholes.

Frankly, I've never seen even an asshole perform that stupid of an act of vandalism.
But, for lack of a better term, I agree with you.

How about this: They get sentenced, by the court, to put the rock back like it was.
By hand. With no water. And no excuses. And with as much time as it takes.

kevinpate
10-18-2013, 06:17 PM
safety issue ... sa-fety issue .... safreakingty issue. You gots a big rock that has set in place for, oh, I dunno, even if one discounts science, you'd still be talking thousands of years, and some walking talking bucket of lard who makes me look slim and trim (no minor feat at all) wants to claim he struggles to unperch this ancient rock because where it is was unsafe.

Why, that's sillier than asking folks who even creep NAMBLA out to be the sponsor your son's swim team.

RadicalModerate
10-18-2013, 06:58 PM
Although this could be considered verging on "politics" (except, perhaps, in Wa****a) . . .

'Zackley when wuz it that the standards of the BSA began to erode so badly at the base that it led to a 2 Million Year Old Rock Formation being toppled as an unintended consequence?

Personally, I think that the EPA is devoting far too much time to imaginary "lead abatement" remodeling issues and far too little time to solving environmental issues like this.

Sure hope the perpetrators of this environmental outrage can't be linked back to any association whatsoever with the Tea Party and that this isn't an example of what can happen when The Government is Shut Down along with The Parks.

(not to brag, but I recently resisted the urge to pick up even one single rock in the vicinity of Runestone Park (in Heavener, former State Park, now abandoned by The State of Oklahoma, parkwise), as souveneer [sic] to add to my personal xeriscaping project in what used to be the front "lawn". =)

ThomPaine
10-18-2013, 07:11 PM
Although this could be considered verging on "politics" (except, perhaps, in Wa****a) . . .

'Zackley when wuz it that the standards of the BSA began to erode so badly at the base that it led to a 2 Million Year Old Rock Formation being toppled as an unintended consequence?

Personally, I think that the EPA is devoting far too much time to imaginary "lead abatement" remodeling issues and far too little time to solving issues like this.

Sure hope the perpetrators of this environmental outrage can't be linked back to any association whatsoever with the Tea Party and that this isn't an example of what can happen when The Government is Shut Down along with The Parks.

(not to brag, but I recently resisted the urge to pick up even one single rock in the vicinity of Runestone Park (in Heavener, former State Park, now abandoned by The State of Oklahoma, parkwise), as souveneer [sic] to add to my personal xeriscaping project in what used to be the front lawn. =)

I wondered that too. Those guys don't look like the scout leaders I know...

Utah State Park by the way, not effected by Gov't "Slowdown" (as Rep. Lankford calls it).

RadicalModerate
10-18-2013, 07:21 PM
I wondered that too. Those guys don't look like the scout leaders I know...

Utah State Park by the way, not effected by Gov't "Slowdown" (as Rep. Lankford calls it).

Yeah. That. Like you said, or implied: "Where is the 'Common Sense' here?"
Perhaps rather than answering that question, it would be easier to blame it all on too much "reality" Cable TV.
("Park Outlaws" . . . "Homey Boo-Boo" . . . "The Jerry Stringer Show" . . . "American Punkers" . . . Etc.)

(Please note that I have grown to like American Pickers and no offense to that particular educational team is intended nor implied.)

venture
10-18-2013, 08:01 PM
Can they put them on the mound of dirt as a replacement?

Just the facts
10-18-2013, 08:10 PM
Isn't it still a 200 million year old rock formation?

catch22
10-18-2013, 08:17 PM
It could be argued that I have some million year old rocks in my yard...

RadicalModerate
10-18-2013, 08:34 PM
Isn't it still a 200 million year old rock formation?

Of course it is. (that was my second thought =)
But then we would have to argue about "natural" rock formations as compared to "organic" rock formations.
Obviously, you don't watch enough HGTV.

RadicalModerate
10-18-2013, 08:35 PM
It could be argued that I have some million year old rocks in my yard...

Yes. But they aren't formatted in a proper, organic--yet natural--"Makes It Pop" configuration.

BTW: Isn't this entire "Park" named "The Gremlins" or something like that?
Maybe these bozoazzoles are simply guilty of releasing their inner gremlins?

I think that maybe a parable of perspective is in order . . .

Aruba's Natural Bridge:
0jtwM6UxufU

Aruba's Natural Bridge Reclaimed by The Sea:
1p_ak56tsfk

The difference here is that The Sea doesn't have the ability to choose.
The BozoidAzzoles in the park did. And filmed it.

I guess one way of looking at it is that while Aruba's Natural Bridge was overcome by the tides,
That weird looking ("dangerous") rock formation was overcome by the tide of human stupidity.

As I said before: Give them a chance to put it back like it was and all of the time it takes to do it.

ljbab728
10-18-2013, 08:57 PM
Actually, I saw an interview with him on the news. He was very contrite and sounded like a very nice guy. His story was that the rock seemed loose and he thought it might fall and be dangerous for someone. He acknowledged that he should have just left it to someone in authority to take care of it.

RadicalModerate
10-18-2013, 09:00 PM
Always good to give someone the benefit of the doubt . . .
After all . . . none of us is a mindreader =)

(so, just out of curiosity . . .
who IS the mysterious--and oft cited--"someone in authority"?
especially if the parks are closed?)

ljbab728
10-18-2013, 09:05 PM
Always good to give someone the benefit of the doubt . . .
After all . . . none of us is a mindreader =)

(so, just out of curiosity . . .
who IS the mysterious--and oft cited--"someone in authority"?
especially if the parks are closed?)

All you need to do is look up. :)

RadicalModerate
10-18-2013, 09:19 PM
Amen to that!
(so . . . Where's my Braum's within walking distance without the threat of toppling boulders or fallen natural bridges? =)

Note to skimmers: Don't try to figure out those last exchanges. it's tougher than . . . oh, I dunno . . . Chinese Calculus in Braille. =)

ljbab728
10-18-2013, 09:41 PM
Amen to that!
(so . . . Where's my Braum's within walking distance without the threat of toppling boulders or fallen natural bridges? =)

Note to skimmers: Don't try to figure out those last exchanges. it's tougher than . . . oh, I dunno . . . Chinese Calculus in Braille. =)

It's much too hot there for Braums. Everything would melt.

Zack232
10-18-2013, 09:56 PM
oh, I dunno, even if one discounts science, you'd still be talking thousands of years

Of course some one has to make this baseless statement.

RadicalModerate
10-18-2013, 10:23 PM

It's a given.
Ain't it?
Sort of a paradigm realignment principle 'r whatever.
(yet only in terms of substituting rock toppling for cow tipping, of course. no?)

RadicalModerate
10-18-2013, 10:36 PM
It's much too hot there for Braums. Everything would melt.

Apparently, Braum's hasn't yet ventured to Alaska (to bake stuff).
Or are we talking about Hell, cold day in?
(e.g. Something along the lines of the unintended consequences of the proposed development, just south of the westbound north half of Memorial, in the vicinity of Western Ave, around Christmastide, 2015?)

Plutonic Panda
10-18-2013, 10:45 PM
Maybe I'm in the minority here, but who the hell cares. It's a rock, and a small one at that! Maybe banning them from ever coming back to the park, but felony charges!? Really!!!!

RadicalModerate
10-18-2013, 11:05 PM
Apparently, you never read that issue of Superman involving not creating litter on the steps of the public library in the form of trash and poorly parked bicycles.

Apparently, neither did these Boy Scout Leaders creating anarchistic terrorism in the park instead of lanyards and baskets.
(and in the name of "safety" pshaw.)

Bottom Line: What if Everybody did that?

Oh! Almost forgot: "Who the hell cares?" I do.

Dude, it isn't "the rock" it's "the roll" . . .

ljbab728
10-18-2013, 11:16 PM
Maybe I'm in the minority here, but who the hell cares. It's a rock, and a small one at that! Maybe banning them from ever coming back to the park, but felony charges!? Really!!!!

Plupan, no offense but the Grand Canyon is just a big hole in the ground. I'm not saying the charge are warranted or will stick but that is a much too cavalier attitude about our natural wonders. There are very good reasons for strict rules in our parks if we want to protect them for the future.

Achilleslastand
10-19-2013, 12:10 AM
Idiots come in all shapes and sizes.......especially as in this case double xx large.
I am surprised he was away from the feed bag long enough to do anything resembling manual labor.

RadicalModerate
10-19-2013, 12:32 AM
Maybe pushing over the rock was a form of sublimated virtual masturbation?
(on account of normal masturbation would be too much like manual labor?)

Hey . . . Don't blame me . . . Talk to Sigmund . . .
(no, not Sigmund Freud . . . Sigmund Jones . . . The Sleeping Park Ranger and (supposed) Protector of The Rocks . . .)

I'm just trying to put together a rational defense for this Bozo. Geez.
Cut a guy a little slack fer cryin' out loud . . .

(ahem . . .)

Your Honor . . .
I move that the case against my client, the defendant, be dismissed on the grounds that the prosecution alleges that my client is accused of pushing over a 2 Million Year Old Rock Formation when, in reality, the former Rock Formation is at least 200 Million Years Old--according to Certified Geologists--and maybe moreso. Obviously, it can't be the same Rock Formation. Ergo, done deal.

Just the facts
10-19-2013, 06:07 AM
Seeing as how the formation was caused by erosion, and erosion is a continual process the formation was at most a few minutes old. Felony? No, as that has way to many negative side effects that will essentially punish them for the rest of their lives. I think a heafty fine and a few hundred hours of community service related to the subject would do the trick.

kelroy55
10-19-2013, 07:36 AM

I agree with you about the felony charges but I think a fine and community service would be appropriate.

ThomPaine
10-19-2013, 07:39 AM
Plupan, no offense but the Grand Canyon is just a big hole in the ground. I'm not saying the charge are warranted or will stick but that is a much too cavalier attitude about our natural wonders. There are very good reasons for strict rules in our parks if we want to protect them for the future.

Thanks, I did not reply because I was having trouble framing my response in a civil tone. Like JTF, I'm not sure a felony charge is warranted, but if those two geniuses truly are Boy Scout leaders, they should have known not to take it upon themselves to alter the landscape of a state park in a permanent way, and maybe this can be a learning experience for the Scouts they "lead."

Otherwise, some idiot in Northern California might be heard to say: "Hey! That Redwood look like it's leanin' to you? That damned thing could fall and squish some little kid, or hurt a spotted owl. Bring me my chainsaw."

I mean, it's just a tree.

RadicalModerate
10-19-2013, 08:12 AM
These guys probably think that in order to be an Eagle Scout, you need to kill and mount a Bald Eagle.
After all . . . It's just a bird. btw: "Mount" in this example means taxidermy. I think.
(And before that, you need to get some Merit Badges for Criminal Mischief.)

Rocks
by Bob Kilmer (Joyce Kilmer's sister)

I think that I shall never balk
At poems written for a rock

A rock whose lumpy wholeness stands
On ocean shores and desert sands

A rock so quiet and serene
To tip a rock is just damn mean

A rock that may in summer wear
A bit of hair scraped from a bear

Upon whose craggy features group
Lichens, bugs, and dried up bird poop

Poems are made by those who talk
But only God can make a rock.

Rock On . . . Tipped Rock

kevinpate
10-19-2013, 09:23 AM

Baseless? Are you suggesting the rocks were there for less time?

kevinpate
10-19-2013, 09:25 AM
Dude, it isn't "the rock" it's "the roll" . . .

rotcflmbo

Garin
10-19-2013, 09:41 AM
Two million years old And that's all the erosion that existed ? I'm call bulls

RadicalModerate
10-19-2013, 09:49 AM
Oh yeah? Well, I call Shenanigans! =)

FUecymQ3zxs
That Public Service Announcement brought to you by The Sierra Club
Next time you think about tipping over a rock, think again.

I hope that there is no truth to the rumor that security has been doubled at Pivot Rock, near Eureka Springs, Arkansas. If it is true it means that the eco-terrorists, posing as Boy Scout Leaders, have won.

In any case, The Rock Abides.
http://lounge.moviecodec.com/images/avatar/the-dude-33205thumbnail125x168.jpg

Bunty
10-19-2013, 10:57 AM
May God forbid someone want to move on to bigger things by toppling Balanced Rock in the Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs. I haven't seen it in over 10 years.

Zack232
10-19-2013, 01:41 PM
Baseless? Are you suggesting the rocks were there for less time?

haha no, that's an odd assumption. I'm not trying to start anything or be rude, but if one "discounts science" and believes the earth is only ~10,000 years old, they are laughably wrong. I'm not saying you fall into this category of people, because you just said the rock was in place for that length of time, but it seems you were referring to the "young vs old earth" argument. You can correct me if I'm wrong.

RadicalModerate
10-19-2013, 01:54 PM
haha no, that's an odd assumption. I'm not trying to start anything or be rude, but if one "discounts science" and believes the earth is only ~10,000 years old, they are laughably wrong. I'm not saying you fall into this category of people, because you just said the rock was in place for that length of time, but it seems you were referring to the "young vs old earth" argument. You can correct me if I'm wrong.

That is perfectly clear.
Please continue to refrain from tipping over rocks.
Especially if you are a Scout or Leader thereof.
Thank you, in advance.
For compliance.
And concern.
Amen.

RadicalModerate
10-19-2013, 01:57 PM
May God forbid someone want to move on to bigger things by toppling Balanced Rock in the Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs. I haven't seen it in over 10 years.

I'm still miffed--in fact, nearly on the verge of pissed--that I won't be able to see The Toppled Rock (pre-toppling) in (was it Utah?) featured in The Outrage du Jour. (but i'll probably get over it . . . unlike the toppled rock =)

Based only upon experience, the crew in the OP would probably fart in The Cave of The Winds.
(and they should be ashamed of that. even without a sign to wonder about)

Mel
10-19-2013, 02:45 PM
I hope the punishment is severe. Make people think a little before any copycat action starts. I have absolutely no sympathy for these cretins. The fact that they are Scout "leaders" makes it worse. What part of "Leave No Trace" do they not understand.

RadicalModerate
10-19-2013, 03:07 PM
Can they put them on the mound of dirt as a replacement?

They probably could, but then The Crack Law Team from Spiro Mounds would probably file an objection. Or injunction. Or whatever.

For the record, I only made it as far as a Lion's Badge with a couple of arrowheads (in the Cub Scouts, on the cusp of Webelo) yet I agree with CleanSkull:
When it comes to preserving the wilderness for others to enjoy leave no trace of your being there.
Unless, of course, you are a thoughtless slob, in which case you should stick to polluting the highways on the way to Walmart.
(i "hate" litter, too, but that's just a personal problem. =)

Can we agree that this sort of behavior by so-called "homo sapiens" is unacceptable?
No matter what the reason or excuse? Even if it only involved a friggin' rock (fer cryin' out loud)?
If so, then none of this has been wasted time.

(what a bunch of assholes those jerk-off, bozoid, m-fer's were. sure glad this was in Utah instead of Oklahoma.)
(if there was a nun around she should slap their knuckles with a ruler as a reminder. but there ain't. so it's a moot point. plus i ain't "roman nor roamin' catholic" anyways.)

RadicalModerate
10-19-2013, 03:38 PM
Sorry . . . Forgot to give a basis for my paradigm and bias here . . .

"And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God,
to them who are the called according to his purpose."

Forgive the schmucks fer cryin' out loud . . .
Just don't be screwing around with creation. OK? =)

Mel
10-19-2013, 04:13 PM
Clark Griswold had nothing on my butt. I use to take my Wife and 2 boys on long road trips. Visited many parks. Pictures can not invoke the same reaction as seeing wondrous works of Nature, Man, and Time up close. They stole from everybody else that ever visits that park. Of course some things don't smell as good as they look in pictures. Mono Lake stunk!

kevinpate
10-19-2013, 05:43 PM

That was sort of the point. In context: even if the world was less than 10,000 years old, the rock formation would have been around for thousands of years. So for the tipperheads to call it a safety issue would still be completely silly.

Oh well,once the rock dust settles, they'll probably end up with a fine and a blog entry or six and that'll be the end of it.

RadicalModerate
10-19-2013, 06:12 PM
That was sort of the point. In context: even if the world was less than 10,000 years old, the rock formation would have been around for thousands of years. So for the tipperheads to call it a safety issue would still be completely silly.

Oh well,once the rock dust settles, they'll probably end up with a fine and a blog entry or six and that'll be the end of it.

If I were (or wuz) an attorney at law I would be copyrighting and trademarking the word "Tipperhead" as I type.
(this may go a long way in explaining the unintended, long-term, consequences of stupid bicycle and skateboard stunts gone bad or possibly the side effects of too much cellphone usage next to the brain.)

I Salute You, Sir (Esquire?)!
No Sh!t, No Snark.
For real.

RadicalModerate
10-19-2013, 06:17 PM
Clark Griswold had nothing on my butt. I use to take my Wife and 2 boys on long road trips. Visited many parks. Pictures can not invoke the same reaction as seeing wondrous works of Nature, Man, and Time up close. They stole from everybody else that ever visits that park. Of course some things don't smell as good as they look in pictures. Mono Lake stunk!

I remember how bad Yellowstone National Park smelled as a child. Me (as a child). Not the Park. It was much older.

Mel
10-19-2013, 08:02 PM
Having two male teenagers in the back seat made everything smell funny. Driving through Lemar, CO. I almost threw them out of the car until I found out the whole town smells and it wasn't just them.

RadicalModerate
10-19-2013, 08:27 PM
Having two male teenagers in the back seat made everything smell funny. Driving through Lemar, CO. I almost threw them out of the car until I found out the whole town smells and it wasn't just them.

In reality, it was probably Lamar, CO.
And I agree with your assessment of the situation.
Lamar, CO smells even worse than Kit Carson, CO,
but not as bad as the rendering plant on the inskirts of Denver
nor the sugar beet plant somewhere up around Ft. Morgan or thereabouts.

Still . . .
Tipping over a 20,000 Million year old Rock Formation, just for the "Fun" of it, in the name of "safety," makes the olfactory offenses of either of those two little towns on the prairie pale in comparison.

Stink-wise.

Or were you referring to Lemur, CO?

boscorama
10-19-2013, 09:53 PM
Clearly, someone suffered from an olfactory malfunction. The poor victim!

Some people would do anything for a Big Mac!

Zack232
10-20-2013, 10:35 AM

Oh I know it wasn't your main point. When you said "if one discounts science" it reminds me that there's a substantial amount of Americans that believe scientists (who have been educated in their respective fields for many years) are just spewing baseless nonsense. Oh well.. I'll leave you alone about it. I just hope eventually humans will grow up.

bluedogok
10-20-2013, 10:38 AM
What a moron......

RM - They imploded the sugar beet plant in Eaton a few months ago.

RadicalModerate
10-20-2013, 12:53 PM
What a moron......

RM - They imploded the sugar beet plant in Eaton a few months ago.

Eaton (up by Greeley) has to be the (stinky) place I was thinking of.
I don't know where I came up with Fort Morgan . . .
If you can imagine the worst garbage can ever then add the smeil of rancid machine oil you might be close to the "aroma" I remember.
It stunk so bad it made me feel like finding a rock and tipping it over.

bluedogok
10-20-2013, 02:57 PM
I think Fort Morgan has some stockyards.....

RadicalModerate
10-20-2013, 03:25 PM
You reckon they have any verically sleeping cows a person could tip over . . . .?
(if one was of a mind to do something like that, say, out of a concern for the cow's safety?)

Achilleslastand
10-20-2013, 04:39 PM
Man Who Toppled Ancient Rock Suing for Disability (http://news.yahoo.com/man-toppled-ancient-rock-suing-disability-183757302--abc-news-topstories.html)

A Boy Scout leader who came under fire for pushing over an ancient boulder in a national park filed a suit last month claiming he was suffering permanent "disability" and "impairment" from an auto accident four years ago.

Glenn Taylor initially faced scrutiny after a video of him pushing over a Jurassic era rock formation in the Goblin Valley State Park in Utah went viral.

Taylor, a Boy Scout leader, told ABC News that he should have handled the incident differently but thought the boulder was dangerous and thought it would be safer to push it over.

"The Boy Scouts didn't teach me to do this," Taylor told ABC News. "Would I do it again? Yes, with a ranger standing there. That's what we should have done."

Charges Possible For Toppled Ancient Utah Rock

However Taylor is now facing additional scrutiny after it was revealed that he filed a suit claiming he has he endured "great pain and suffering, disability, impairment, loss of life" stemming from a 2009 car accident, according to ABC News affiliate KTVX-TV in Salt Lake City, Utah.

According to KTVX, Taylor said in the documents he has incurred an estimated $5,000 in medical related expenses.

Alan Macdonald, who is being sued by Taylor because it was his daughter who hit Taylor's car, told KTVX that he was "highly offended" by Taylor's actions.

"Somebody with a bad back who is disabled who can't enjoy life to me doesn't step up and push a rock right off its base," Macdonald said.

Calls to a number listed in Taylor's name and to his attorney were not immediately returned.

The Emery County Attorney's Office confirmed that it has been contacted by state park representatives and will review the case once an investigation is complete.

bluedogok
10-20-2013, 04:43 PM
Amazing how so many idiots post their misadventures on YouTube without thinking of any of the possible repercussions.

RadicalModerate
10-20-2013, 07:30 PM
It would be even MORE amazing if smart people did this rather than idiots.
(at least it would be more amazing to me)

Mel
10-20-2013, 07:43 PM
Amazing how so many idiots post their misadventures on YouTube without thinking of any of the possible repercussions.

I'm glad they do. Makes much easier for the l.e.o.'s.

Just the facts
10-21-2013, 09:09 AM
Surprise, a dirt bag in one facet of his life turns out to be a dirt bag in other facets. Who could have guessed?

BBatesokc
10-21-2013, 09:32 AM
Give him a fine, ban him from the park and scouting and move along. We're all living on a rock that is millions of years old and we all do our part to destroy it on a daily basis.

What they did was idiotic, but some people's reactions are just as idiotic.

A felony record? Way over the top. Find some misdemeanor if they want.

However, if he committed a fraud in his insurance claim, he should face charges for that as well.

bluedogok
10-21-2013, 09:36 PM
Some people really are that dumb.
Yes....yes they are.

kelroy55
10-22-2013, 05:37 AM
It keeps getting better.... The guy who pushed the rock over is trying to get disability from a car accident before this happened.

Man seen toppling boulder claims 'debilitating injuries' - CNN.com (http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/22/us/utah-boulder-boy-scouts/index.html?hpt=hp_t2)