View Full Version : Singles support group

mranderson
07-18-2005, 12:27 PM
I have toyed with the idea of creating OKC Talk Singles, which would be a support group outside the board. This would be with the blessing of the OKC Talk monitors and staff.

What it would be is as follows.

Organized speakers on Saturday or Sunday night. These speakers would speak on a variety of topics ranging from singles issues (like speed dating) to very intense controversial topics. We would invite people from various speakers bureaus such as the local television stations, legislators, professional people (example. A real estate professional speaking on singles and home ownership). There would be a social hour thereafter where we would have snacks and drinks.

This meeting would also include game nights, theme nights, and other fun things.

On Saturday or Saturday nights we would have an organized outing such as a trip to Bricktown or bowling (or whatever).

This would be an organization that would have no dues, but would eventually have officers. The members would volunteer to coordinate activties and speakers. This would include selection of the topic, booking the guest, follow up, greeting the guest and introducing the guest. During the outing, they would be responsible for planning. All singles and probably a few others would have automatic invitations.

I think this would be a great way to get to know singles. We could ask Todd to help with advertising it through links and other ways. Plus, we could do "word of mouth." This would also be a good way to help overcome the misery of the breakoff (ie: dump). Who knows. Maybe we will even have some marriages as a result.

We would need to find a permanant location such as an apartment complex clubhouse to meet. So suggestions and help are also needed.

Any input and ideas are appeciated.

Leon
07-18-2005, 04:17 PM
Yep, but I think you may want to reconsider dues even if just a very small amount, or optional donations....if there are more than a half dozen or so people, those snacks could add up.

I'm happy to see someone post such an idea. More than one of us is willing to set something up. I have a few more ideas for ya: An optional social roster with b'days, hobbies, contact info, background, etc; an occassional wiennee or burger roast at a local park so singles with children can bring them. (I have my son only part time but always am looking for something cheap convienient and fun things for us both to do, I'd jump on something like that. I'm sure other single parents would too.)

mranderson
07-19-2005, 08:57 AM
Yep, but I think you may want to reconsider dues even if just a very small amount, or optional donations....if there are more than a half dozen or so people, those snacks could add up.

I'm happy to see someone post such an idea. More than one of us is willing to set something up. I have a few more ideas for ya: An optional social roster with b'days, hobbies, contact info, background, etc; an occassional wiennee or burger roast at a local park so singles with children can bring them. (I have my son only part time but always am looking for something cheap convienient and fun things for us both to do, I'd jump on something like that. I'm sure other single parents would too.)

I thought about donations or rotating refreshment duties. The small dues may be a good idea. In fact, it could be run as a club with membership cards which would have to be shown to gain entrance to events. One guest per person would be allowed unless it is a birthday party or something special.

Yes. Family events are important. So are alone time events. The lecture nights would not be family nights.

I like the idea of the bio and background sheet on the membership. It can be used as a tool to ask people for help when needed. Like photgraphy is one of my hobbies. I could be asked to shoot the event. If someone likes party decorating, they could be in charge of that.

When I was in the singles group at St. Lukes United Methodist (which the early days is what the model for this is), we had "bring your own" steak nights, theme parties, dinner and a movie nights (second run and a favorite eating place), swim parties, and more. We had fun.

We could have "membership applications" that would give written permission to release personal info to the group. Name, address, phone, dob, work, plus a short bio including hobbies. We could also include a short "personals" ad in the bio with a picture. This would be gradually implimented as funds warrant. Plus, an annual yearbook can be a future goal.

OK. People. Keep the ideas rolling.:congrats: :yourock:

floater
07-19-2005, 11:01 AM
I think this a great idea. I like the speaker concept and the optional release of personal info to share interests. How about an e-mail newsletter or website to trade recipes, home decorating tips, navigating the club and restaurant scene, career advice, etc. Along with dinners together, how about day/weekend trips, concerts, theater, museums, sports events together as well?

But does it have to be limited to OKCtalk people? We can use the singles group to attract more forum members, at the least.

mranderson
07-19-2005, 11:07 AM
No. As long as they are single (divorced,widowed, etc) they can join. I like the idea of the website. That could either be rapid or a goal. It would take someone with the talent to design a good one.

Since it would be with the blessing of OKC Talk, and share the name, I think it is fair to let the administration consult on this as well. Plus right of refusal to design and content.

Leon
07-19-2005, 04:33 PM
OK, the donations, I think should be voluntary and non-attributional.

You might consider a small amount of research into establishing an organization. If you have a recurring meeting of a regular group of people with a recognizable name that groups them together (I'm a member of...."), you have an organization or entity. Now, if someone gets hurt (a child maybe) or a facility gets damaged, that entity may bear some level of responsibilty. I hate to be the one to bring it up, but there are enough ideas, and I like them, that this sounds like it'll need a charter and a membership agreement. Please don't jeer me out the door but the membership will need to be proteced from itself.

Leon
07-19-2005, 07:02 PM
Ya have six affirmatives. :)