View Full Version : Antiques in oklahoma city and other areas

Jesseda
10-16-2013, 10:02 AM
My wife and I have started collecting frankoma and we have visited antiques stores in Norman, Purcell and the antique co-op place in okc, does anyone have anymore more interesting places to try, I am planning on going to Stillwater next weekend to look around but I am hoping to find something in the metro that has a good selection of frankoma

Bellaboo
10-16-2013, 10:29 AM
Bethany has a multitude of antique stores. Scattered everywhere, but several on 39th street downtown.

Romulack
10-16-2013, 10:55 AM
The I-44 Antique Mall in Tulsa (I-44 & S. Peoria) has a ton of Frankoma Pottery.

jmpokc1957
10-16-2013, 11:15 AM
My wife and I have started collecting frankoma and we have visited antiques stores in Norman, Purcell and the antique co-op place in okc, does anyone have anymore more interesting places to try, I am planning on going to Stillwater next weekend to look around but I am hoping to find something in the metro that has a good selection of frankoma

I remeber my mother bought a Frankoma pottery set from the factory in the late 60's or early 70's. I still use it. I don't know the name of the design but I have the classic wagon wheel design pieces. I use the coffee mugs, plates, bowls, etc.

jmpokc1957
10-16-2013, 11:20 AM
Bethany has a multitude of antique stores. Scattered everywhere, but several on 39th street downtown.

Off subject, but your mention of 39th st. in Bethany made me think of Driver Music. I rented band instruments and took music lessons there( short lived! ) in the the late 60's. I Loved the guitars and electric instruments like the Vox keyboards and big Fender Amps. It all seemed so "mod" at the time.

Drive Music probably deserves its own thread. A shame it burned down in 92.

Blaze at Driver Music Ignites Bethany Memories | News OK (http://newsok.com/blaze-at-driver-music-ignites-bethany-memories/article/2397300)

Roger S
10-16-2013, 12:19 PM
Driver Music was where I began my stint as an aspiring musician just a couple of years before it burned down. Still have a Peavey TNT 150 amp that I bought there.

Back on topic.... Don't know if the Norman Farmer's Market is still open but if it is you might hit the flea market there. I collect cast iron and have found several nice pieces out there. Don't recall if anyone had any Frankoma but I wasn't looking for it either.

Mr. Cotter
10-16-2013, 12:37 PM
There are several stores in Guthrie that have a good size Frankoma collection. I don't collect Frankoma, but for the things I do buy, Guthrie tends to be significantly less expensive than the six or eight OKC antique stores I check regularly.

Jesseda
10-16-2013, 12:41 PM
Driver Music was where I began my stint as an aspiring musician just a couple of years before it burned down. Still have a Peavey TNT 150 amp that I bought there.

Back on topic.... Don't know if the Norman Farmer's Market is still open but if it is you might hit the flea market there. I collect cast iron and have found several nice pieces out there. Don't recall if anyone had any Frankoma but I wasn't looking for it either.

I was there this past weekend with my son to go to the farmers market and we checked out the flea market. I found one dealer and they wanted $22.00 for a common trivet that you can find at a lot of places from $7-$12. So it wasn't that great for me but they did have a lot of other neat things. I was thinking gurthrie but that is a tourist area and the antique stores are probably double in price then what you would find in other towns. so far I found a good place called the antique warehouse on south 89th and I-35 and a place in Purcell that I like. just hoping to find some more places in the metro area to check out. I might go to the Bethany ones next week to look around

jdcf
10-16-2013, 01:43 PM
Jesseda, we go fairly often to area antique shops and I do not recall seeing much Frankoma at any of them. I probably know the shop in Purcell you mentioned but not the shop on I-35 and 89th. The last time I bought some Frankoma was at a shop in Marlow. We have the GOP mugs but nothing else. I may visit the Tulsa shop that was mentioned.

Jesseda
10-18-2013, 06:45 AM
Went to Bethany after work yesterday and Looked at a couple antique stores, I really like one that is on 39th street in downtown they had a good collection of Frankoma and the owners are really nice people, place was clean and full of great antiques. I also went to the Rink antique place on Rockwell and around 26th street, the place is big but it was lacking something Im not sure what it was, it didn't have that many Frankoma pieces and what they did have was prices higher then the antique store downtown. I recommend the downtown Bethany antique stores thanks to Bellaboo who mention Bethany on here. I am heading to Stillwater next week to look around.