View Full Version : Cox High Speed Internet speed increases?

bchris02
10-15-2013, 07:04 PM
About a month ago I got a letter in the mail saying they would be increasing my Internet speeds. I have yet to see it. Does anybody know anything about this? What are the speeds supposed to be increased to and does anybody know when it is supposed to happen?

Bunty
10-15-2013, 07:49 PM
Some time ago Suddenlink increased its middle speed offering from 10 to 15mbps for $40. Surely Cox, as much bigger of a company as it is, can top that, if not already.

Achilleslastand
10-15-2013, 08:55 PM
Some time ago Suddenlink increased its middle speed offering from 10 to 15mbps for $40. Surely Cox, as much bigger of a company as it is, can top that, if not already.

Suddenlink isn't in the OKC metro are they? I thought the only ISP here were Cox and ATT?

OKCDrummer77
10-15-2013, 09:00 PM

I have Cox, and my download speed typically falls in that range. I got an email from Cox a few weeks ago plugging a speed increase (up to 100mbps, IIRC). Like bchris02, I have not noticed a change yet.

Bunty
10-15-2013, 09:16 PM
Suddenlink isn't in the OKC metro are they? I thought the only ISP here were Cox and ATT?

No, not that I know of.

SoonerDave
10-15-2013, 10:07 PM
I have Cox, and my download speed typically falls in that range. I got an email from Cox a few weeks ago plugging a speed increase (up to 100mbps, IIRC). Like bchris02, I have not noticed a change yet.

The Ultimate tier is going to go up to 150Mbps down, and the Premiere tier is going to 50Mbps down. Got the same email myself, and asked a friend who works for Cox on the tech side and he wasn't sure of the timetable of the change/upgrades. I'm assuming it was part of why I just saw my new Docsis 3 modem move to full 8x4 channel bonding, so I figure the speed bump can't be too far away. We'll see.

bchris02
10-16-2013, 09:42 AM
The Ultimate tier is going to go up to 150Mbps down, and the Premiere tier is going to 50Mbps down. Got the same email myself, and asked a friend who works for Cox on the tech side and he wasn't sure of the timetable of the change/upgrades. I'm assuming it was part of why I just saw my new Docsis 3 modem move to full 8x4 channel bonding, so I figure the speed bump can't be too far away. We'll see.

That sounds really good.

Cox in OKC has recently lagged behind their other markets in terms of speed upgrades. I usually get 12-15mbps which is "fast enough" but it will be cool to get faster.

RadicalModerate
10-16-2013, 11:02 AM
Is Cox Communications financing the speed upgrades--to attract noobs at half the price ($79, down from $99, bundled)--by the faithful contributions of long-term buyers-in (that are more than double that amount)?

I know that I, for one, would feel a lot better about the whole situation if that was the case.

"From each according to his ability, to each according to his greed."
"(and as a penalty for inertial laziness regarding changing providers) "

That's what I always say . . .
(Well . . . Not "always". But at least one more time. =)

Plutonic Panda
10-16-2013, 07:25 PM
OKC really needs to get out of the Cox monopoly. I know there are a few options though

MWCGuy
10-16-2013, 08:56 PM
I bailed after over ten years with them and switched over to AT&T. I am down to just basic phone and internet for $53 a month. The AT&T connection is slower but, I can't say I notice a real difference for what I do. I don't do online gaming. I only download an occasional song on iTunes and my television watching is down to Netflix, HuluPlus, Network Apps (ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox) and local TV. I just got tired of paying $200 a month to watch maybe 20 channels. Most of my favorite shows have been cancelled and the few reality shows I enjoyed can be bought through iTunes for $25.

Achilleslastand
10-16-2013, 09:06 PM
Just signed up with Uverse today and got basic phone service, 300+ uverse channels and a 18 mpbs dl for 130 a month for 2 years. But ya i really wish the OKC area had more competition.

RadicalModerate
10-16-2013, 09:38 PM
I think that the next annoying/disconcerting TV ad for Cox Bundling--with The Annoying Redundant Guy (you know who I mean)--at $79 (down from $99, with a "guarantee" for two years, plus "free" HBO) that my "extra" $99 a month is helping to support, should require a PSA via the FCC for Direct TV/ATT/etc. that starts with something like . . . "Have you ever considered being a Cox-Shucker?"

(I know, I know . . . old joke . . . new app . . .)

All of that sorta stuff should be addressed before [we] start demanding "speed increases" from The Provider.
Right? No? What did I miss?

Dang. Yer rite. I done fergot: The FCC is gubmint and they be all shut down. Gawrsh.

bchris02
10-16-2013, 09:42 PM
OKC really needs to get out of the Cox monopoly. I know there are a few options though

Everywhere in the US has a near monopoly because of the way franchising agreements are set up. Most areas have a single cable company and a single ILEC phone company. Anybody else who wants to compete must purchase bandwidth from either the cable company or the phone company (procedure known as CLEC) and resell it. Because of the higher cost, CLEC service is usually only offered to business customers. The only way a majority of the US is going to start seeing more competition in telecommunications is to outlaw the current method of franchising.

SoonerDave
10-18-2013, 12:54 PM
Per a reliable Cox source, the speed increases are slated to take effect Oct 24th. I was off just a bit on one item I posted earlier - Ultimate will go up to 100Mbps, not 150.

From what I understand, your cablemodem will get reset at some point on that date, and when they come back on line, FOOM!!! Instant speed increase. :)

The frustrating thing about the "cheap guaranteed Cox bundle" is that, at least the last time I explored it, doesn't include DVR service - which is $8.99/mo for the HD DVR and $10/mo (I think?) for the DVR "service" (which really is just code for "arbitrary additional profit").

Prunepicker
10-18-2013, 02:04 PM
I bailed after over ten years with them and switched over to AT&T. I am
down to just basic phone and internet for $53 a month. The AT&T
connection is slower but, I can't say I notice a real difference for what I
do. I don't do online gaming. I only download an occasional song on iTunes
and my television watching is down to Netflix, HuluPlus, Network Apps
(ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox) and local TV. I just got tired of paying $200 a month
to watch maybe 20 channels.
Almost the same, here. Antennae TV, Netflix and not so high speed
Internet. Pretty happy.

onthestrip
10-18-2013, 02:05 PM
Per a reliable Cox source, the speed increases are slated to take effect Oct 24th. I was off just a bit on one item I posted earlier - Ultimate will go up to 100Mbps, not 150.

From what I understand, your cablemodem will get reset at some point on that date, and when they come back on line, FOOM!!! Instant speed increase. :)

The frustrating thing about the "cheap guaranteed Cox bundle" is that, at least the last time I explored it, doesn't include DVR service - which is $8.99/mo for the HD DVR and $10/mo (I think?) for the DVR "service" (which really is just code for "arbitrary additional profit").

Correct. It is like $10 for DVR service and about another $10 for the DVR box. Such a sham, Ive probably paid for that box 8 times over.

Also, I have the lowest internet speed/tier, will that be getting a boost?

SoonerDave
10-19-2013, 08:58 AM
Correct. It is like $10 for DVR service and about another $10 for the DVR box. Such a sham, Ive probably paid for that box 8 times over.

Also, I have the lowest internet speed/tier, will that be getting a boost?

Doesn't look like it. The four higher tiers - Essential, Preferred, Premiere, and Ultimate - are getting the increase.

I'd really like to dump Cable eventually - and the primary thing keeping us there is ESPN and its variants. Think episodes from other networks, like TNT, Food Network, TLC, could be streamed from some of the other sources.

Snowman
10-24-2013, 06:03 PM
So internet speed doubled today :)

SoonerDave
10-25-2013, 09:09 AM
Yup....speed increases were on the money with the schedule I'd been given.

Bad news department: Speed increases rolled out by Cox earlier this year in AZ have been followed up with price increases, up to $74/mo for "premier". No word when/if this will hit OKC, but it seems inevitable.

shawnw
10-30-2013, 07:44 PM
I'm displeased with the price increase. I didn't have any issues with my speed before and never got anywhere near close to my bandwidth allocation, and that's with no cable TV and a Roku in every room with lots of streaming going on by every member of the family.

Here is how my bill has tracked:
Aug 39.99
Sep 49.99
Oct 54.99
Nov 60.99 (there was a notice about this on the October bill, but not the others)

I have made no service changes, so not sure why they started escalating when they did, but that's a 50%+ increase in a short period of time!

Prunepicker
10-30-2013, 09:08 PM
Mine didn't go up but I don't have the fastest service they offer, either.

shawnw
10-30-2013, 09:46 PM
Mine didn't go up but I don't have the fastest service they offer, either.

I have the middle tier. Or I guess had. I'm actually not entirely sure now.

Bill Robertson
10-31-2013, 06:36 AM
My bill hasn't gone up. I have noticed the speed increased a few days ago.

SoonerDave
10-31-2013, 06:59 AM
Please note that the price increase I mentioned was specific to Cox in Arizona, which occurred some time after applying their latest round of speed increases. There is no specific notice of any corresponding increase in OK right now, but I think it is safe to assume that, at some point in the near future, Cox OKC HSI customers will get zapped as well.

LakeEffect
10-31-2013, 07:10 AM
Please note that the price increase I mentioned was specific to Cox in Arizona, which occurred some time after applying their latest round of speed increases. There is no specific notice of any corresponding increase in OK right now, but I think it is safe to assume that, at some point in the near future, Cox OKC HSI customers will get zapped as well.

It applies to Oklahoma too: Cox to increase its Internet speeds - Tulsa World: Technology (http://www.tulsaworld.com/business/technology/cox-to-increase-its-internet-speeds/article_5ef71fa8-5195-5f0a-9bf2-68feb935ab59.html)

LakeEffect
10-31-2013, 07:11 AM
I have the middle tier. Or I guess had. I'm actually not entirely sure now.

How old is your internet package? This is from the Tulsa World article I linked above: "Christine Martin, a spokeswoman for Cox, said "the vast majority" of customers will get the increase with no price change, though a small number of customers on an older package of services may see an increase."

SoonerDave
10-31-2013, 09:57 AM
It applies to Oklahoma too: Cox to increase its Internet speeds - Tulsa World: Technology (http://www.tulsaworld.com/business/technology/cox-to-increase-its-internet-speeds/article_5ef71fa8-5195-5f0a-9bf2-68feb935ab59.html)

I think we're crossing up a few things. My fault.

I was originally referring to the fact that Arizona received a speed increase earlier this year, that was later followed by a full, formal rate increase. Separate events.

I was making the inference that, based on the same speed increase here in OKC, that it stands to reason we'll probably see the same or similar full, formal rate increase "at some point in the near future." I have zero knowledge of this as a fact; its a "reading of the tea leaves." The incidental increase arising on some older packages or service options isn't the same as the general price increase I've read about in AZ.

Sorry if I created confusion.

I have no problem with Cox HSI service. But I'm getting increasingly cranky parting with another $95 or so per month for four billion channels that, on average, include only about 10 with worthwhile content. And I just got my billing notice this month about three or four new music channels being added that provide exactly *zero* additional benefit. Whooppeee. If they discontinued every music channel in existence tomorrow I don't know that I'd ever notice it.

daddycaddy
12-16-2013, 11:19 AM
I am thinking about switching fro UVerse Internet to Cox Internet because of the increased bandwidth. How solid is the streaming from Netflix on Cox? Streaming Netflix on Uverse has gotten bad from my expierence. I am a cord cutter so I am not interested in any TV packages.

shawnw
12-16-2013, 11:25 AM
I am also a cord cutter, have two kids and a roku in every room and have never noticed a problem when we're all streaming at once.

SoonerDave
12-16-2013, 11:49 AM
Have plenty of increasing gripes about the proliferation of worthless content to hike their channel count, but I honestly can't complain at all about the Internet service. Kids do quite a bit of web streaming, and I use it (for now) to host an in-house VOIP, and its been very reliable. I know Cox is getting nervous about how many channels it can offer while also squashing/compressing the crapola out of some (all?) of its HD offerings, but from my little knothole the HSI aspect has been very reliable. And about the only thing that keeps me tied to TV cable is ESPN; but I know that value is even diminishing for me these days!

daddycaddy
12-16-2013, 01:05 PM
Have plenty of increasing gripes about the proliferation of worthless content to hike their channel count, but I honestly can't complain at all about the Internet service. Kids do quite a bit of web streaming, and I use it (for now) to host an in-house VOIP, and its been very reliable. I know Cox is getting nervous about how many channels it can offer while also squashing/compressing the crapola out of some (all?) of its HD offerings, but from my little knothole the HSI aspect has been very reliable. And about the only thing that keeps me tied to TV cable is ESPN; but I know that value is even diminishing for me these days!

I agree with you. Paying $100 for cable became deal break for me when i had DirecTV. I only watched the ESPN and the Golf Channel. Which cable modem do you guys have? I am thinking about getting the Motorola SurfBoard SB6141. I work in IT and with me being on 2 VPN for work and streaming on 2 devices I need more bandwidth.

Plutonic Panda
04-21-2014, 02:16 PM
Interesting graphic

https://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/t1.0-9/10294396_10152434333488128_3472067569851373576_n.j pg

bchris02
04-21-2014, 02:44 PM
I've had Internet over the years from Cox, Comcast, Time Warner, and Windstream. Cox has definitely been my best experience when it comes to speed. Windstream was by far the worst.

Achilleslastand
04-21-2014, 02:55 PM
Been a Uverse customer for 6 months and couldn't be happier. I am paying for the 18 Mbps DL speed but every speed test ive ran is actually in the 22-24 Mpbs range

RadicalModerate
04-21-2014, 04:44 PM
Every time I see a thread title with the word Cox or Cox Communication in it my blood begins to boil and the pressure goes up. I guess I need to get over it and just be thankful for the fact that they are actually fairly responsive to stuff. I also need to get up off my lazy ass and confront them about their bull****e Newbie Freebies and the Penalty for Loyalty . . . maybe manana . . .

Prunepicker
04-21-2014, 09:32 PM
I've been a member of Cox for about 30 years and have been perfectly
happy. I thought about changing a few years ago but after that weekend
in the ER I decided not to.

Seriously, what's the beef with Cox Internet? I've noticed some have
posted TV. I don't have Cox TV. I don't want it. I only want the
Internet and it's been perfect for my needs. By the way, I'm using the
second tier.