View Full Version : Edmond Restaurants

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

pedmond
10-11-2013, 04:44 PM
My wife and I enjoy going to the new restaurants in Oklahoma City, but we also enjoy eating at a number of restaurants in Edmond. Three of the Edmond restaurants we tried over the last few weeks have been very good.

Café Icon, located just west of Target, is owned by the couple who used to own Tropical Café. It's sort of an out of the way location, but the food was good and the restaurant is beautiful. We both had sushi, but they also have steak and fish. It is a little pricey, but we will be going back.

Just down a few doors is a Mediterranean restaurant called Simply Falafel. The prices are very reasonable and we both felt the food was some of the best Mediterranean food we've had. We split a vegetarian platter and both had tomato basil soup. The falafel they serve is the best I've had....excellent flavor and texture.

We both like Ethiopian food and have eaten at Queen of Sheba numerous times, but Edmond now has one on Second Street just west of Broadway....it called Haiget's It's in the same location that Nick's Thai Palace was in. Here we also split a vegetarian platter and some appetizers...and it was very good. Their menu is half Ethiopian and half Kenyan and the next time we go we plan on trying some Kenyan food. For the most part, Edmond is a steak and potato type of city, so I hope Haiget's can make it....the Blue Nile Ethiopian restaurant at 33rd and Broadway only lasted about year. The owners of Haiget's are great and it's worth a try if you haven't had Ethiopian food.

Zarate's, Sushi Bar, Thai Delight and Los Arcos are some others we also like.

Pete
10-11-2013, 05:03 PM
Thanks for the thorough post and reviews!

Signature Grill is excellent, if you haven't tried it.

Simply Falafel on Blackwelder is another very good Med place.

The Cow Calf-Hay is good, simple food, as is The Garage (mini-chain).

Have heard good things about Lemongrass Thai (Santa Fe) but haven't tried it.

pedmond
01-13-2014, 01:04 PM
Wanted to plug Café Icon again for the folks that live in Edmond. My wife and I ate there again over the weekend and once more it was very good. We had the Kaboom Sushi, Shrimp Hibachi and Pot Stickers, all very tasty.

jbkrems
01-13-2014, 03:28 PM
I went to Café Icon once for lunch, and I thought that the sushi was too sweet. I thought my server was arrogant, and he told me I ordered the wrong sushi rolls when I told them they were "just OK."

Signature Grill is the best restaurant in Edmond, by far. Its also one of the Top 5 restaurants in the metro, if you ask me.

Not a big fan of Simply Falafel, but Cow Calf Hay has great burgers. I have not been to Lemongrass Thai in a long time, but it was good back when I went there.

BBatesokc
01-13-2014, 03:34 PM
So far in Edmond we frequent Thai Delight, Garage, Johnnies, Signature Grill, 501, Boulevard, Zen and Phobulous. We've been to Cafe Icon probably 5 times now. I really want this to be my favorite restaurant, but it just isn't there..... When the food is great the service is lousy and when the service is great then the food seems to suffer. I've had great meals there, but also not very good ones. And for the price, it should be consistent. But I keep going back because I know so many people who like it. I just don't go unless others insist.

Rajah
01-13-2014, 03:38 PM
Humble Pie hands down has the best Chicago style pizza around.

Rajah
01-13-2014, 03:39 PM
The Sushi Bar is a trek but it's great.

BBatesokc
01-13-2014, 03:39 PM
Humble Pie hands down has the best Chicago style pizza around.

Forgot about them and Famous Joe's - we like them both (though all we ever get from Joe's is the Taco pizza and boxed salad).

Plutonic Panda
01-13-2014, 04:47 PM
So far in Edmond we frequent Thai Delight, Garage, Johnnies, Signature Grill, 501, Boulevard, Zen and Phobulous. We've been to Cafe Icon probably 5 times now. I really want this to be my favorite restaurant, but it just isn't there..... When the food is great the service is lousy and when the service is great then the food seems to suffer. I've had great meals there, but also not very good ones. And for the price, it should be consistent. But I keep going back because I know so many people who like it. I just don't go unless others insist.Have you ever thought of becoming a food critic? Seriously, you'd probably be very good and you seem to really remember every single aspect of your restaurant experiences(which is a good thing).

OKCisOK4me
01-13-2014, 05:17 PM
I'm certain Brian is a food critic...

Pete
01-13-2014, 05:20 PM
The Bricktown Brewery in Edmond is worthwhile.

Nice place, good beer and food in the whole mini-chain is much improved under the new management.

Plutonic Panda
01-13-2014, 08:05 PM
The Bricktown Brewery is cool and all, and maybe I'm alone in thinking this way, but should the Bricktown Brewery really be in Edmond? It just doesn't seem fit anywhere else than Bricktown. I know they have restaurants like Texas Roadhouse, Chicago Pizza, etc. but it just sounds weird saying ok family, lets go to the Bricktown Brewery and drive to Danforth/Kelly for it. I suppose this is good for their business and means they plan in expanding in more areas though. Maybe they'll grow into a national chain one day.

BTW, excuse me knowing this, but are they locally owned?

BBatesokc
01-14-2014, 05:26 AM
Have you ever thought of becoming a food critic? Seriously, you'd probably be very good and you seem to really remember every single aspect of your restaurant experiences(which is a good thing).

Thanks - and I have no idea why people keep suggesting this to me. I'm beginning to think I'm on the receiving end of a cruel joke. I like to eat, I have a strong opinion (that often differs from others), and I use social media. Maybe that's all that's required. So far I've had my balls broken in the Gazette and TLO for posting my restaurant opinions..... oh yeah, and the Jokelahoman referenced a critical review I wrote once in an in-depth article (but didn't name me).

I think I'll just stick to occasionally annoying people here at OKCtalk with my foodie reviews.

jerrywall
01-14-2014, 09:22 AM
The Bricktown Brewery is cool and all, and maybe I'm alone in thinking this way, but should the Bricktown Brewery really be in Edmond? It just doesn't seem fit anywhere else than Bricktown. I know they have restaurants like Texas Roadhouse, Chicago Pizza, etc. but it just sounds weird saying ok family, lets go to the Bricktown Brewery and drive to Danforth/Kelly for it. I suppose this is good for their business and means they plan in expanding in more areas though. Maybe they'll grow into a national chain one day.

BTW, excuse me knowing this, but are they locally owned?

Bricktown Brewery has 4 locations now, and I believe they are planning on more over time.

Assuming nothing has changed, they're owned by Enduring Brands LLC out of Edmond.

At this point, Bricktown Brewery is a brand, so I don't see nothing wrong with that name outside of Bricktown.

Plutonic Panda
01-14-2014, 02:50 PM
Wow, I didn't realize they had that many locations, thought it was just in Bricktown.

Anyhow, it just kind of seems just having a special restaurant like that is more unique when it stays in one location and is located in the place where its name derived from. I suppose though, they could always tout going to the original Brewery in Bricktown for the most authentic taste.

Roger S
01-14-2014, 03:07 PM
Thanks - and I have no idea why people keep suggesting this to me. I'm beginning to think I'm on the receiving end of a cruel joke. I like to eat, I have a strong opinion (that often differs from others), and I use social media. Maybe that's all that's required. So far I've had my balls broken in the Gazette and TLO for posting my restaurant opinions..... oh yeah, and the Jokelahoman referenced a critical review I wrote once in an in-depth article (but didn't name me).

I think I'll just stick to occasionally annoying people here at OKCtalk with my foodie reviews.

LOL... You were even credited as the author of my two-bit, hack, wannabe blog.... Not sure whether you should be offended about that association or not. :)

Plutonic Panda
01-14-2014, 03:20 PM
Here is a picture of the new Qdoba Mexican Grill

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/1090894_10202115309436769_2009695729_o.jpg

Couldn't get a good picture though. :/

It also now listed as one of their locations to: http://www.qdoba.com/locations

Covell and Kelly
1300 West Covell Road
Edmond, OK 73003

OklahomaNick
01-21-2014, 11:00 AM
I am still VERY disappointed that Fuji Sushi in Edmond shut down..
Has anyone heard why? Their Sushi seriously rivaled any place in OKC.

BBatesokc
01-21-2014, 11:35 AM
I am still VERY disappointed that Fuji Sushi in Edmond shut down..
Has anyone heard why? Their Sushi seriously rivaled any place in OKC.

Wow, didn't realize they were closed. We'd eat there from time to time. Really liked their food.

benjenn
01-21-2014, 03:51 PM
We lived in Edmond until moving downtown last month and always enjoyed Lottinville's Wood Grill south of 15th on Kelly. I agree that Signature Grill is probably the best restaurant in the entire metro area. We also loved Garbanzo Grill on 15th near Bryant... sort of a Mediterranean Chipotle. Their cilantro sauce is out of this world.

hipsterdoofus
01-23-2014, 05:17 PM
Pedmond, thanks for your comments about Haiget's. I had seen it there before and assumed it was Ethiopian, but didn't know about the Kenyan portion. I would love to go check it out at some point. Was sad to see Thai Palace go, Nick was a character.

Plutonic Panda
02-07-2014, 03:18 PM
Here is another picture of Qdoba Grill from The Edmond Sun

http://d6673sr63mbv7.cloudfront.net/archive/x1782779950/g00025800000000000032d9d31027fd3dbf6cbad9314863e20 52f346de6.jpg
Timber Crest earns 5-0 vote » Local News » The Edmond Sun (http://www.edmondsun.com/local/x1280777328/Timber-Crest-earns-5-0-vote)

hipsterdoofus
02-20-2014, 09:46 PM
I'm going to carry over some info that was in the del taco thread. Alvarado's has now re-opened (as of Wednesday the 19th) in the old Fuji Japanese place on Broadway (2805 S bdway I think).

jbkrems
02-21-2014, 12:18 AM
Is anything going to open in the former Alvarados location then ?

hipsterdoofus
02-21-2014, 06:18 PM
Is anything going to open in the former Alvarados location then ?

That's where Del Taco is going to go. The building has already been gutted and will be demolished.

My understanding was that Alvarado's a wait time for tables tonight, which makes me happy that a local business like that seems to be doing alright after being closed and changing locations.

Jettmiester
03-07-2014, 07:31 PM
Del Taco? I was hoping for something more interesting where Alvarados was. Wasn't Alvarado's an Italian restaurant back in the day?

Rom
03-12-2014, 08:33 PM
Was sad to hear Grille 16 closed its doors. I'm hoping I received bad info on that.

TheTravellers
03-13-2014, 01:06 PM

Have heard good things about Lemongrass Thai (Santa Fe) but haven't tried it.

Lemongrass is the Thai place we eat at. Admittedly, we haven't tried every Thai place in the metro (tried a few, and also eaten at lots of other Thai places not in OK), but they are consistently good. Duck curry, four-flavor cod, tom kha soup, pad thai, other curries, pretty much everything we've had there has been really good - full of flavor, spicy (I like things quite hot, so I get it at the top of their scale and it doesn't disappoint), fresh ingredients. The spring rolls used to be good, but they were a completely different thing last time we were there, and not in a good way (too fat, not fried enough, just not as good). Their mango sticky rice is wonderful, enough to split between 2 people, though.

Rom
03-13-2014, 01:31 PM
Lemongrass is fantastic

hipsterdoofus
03-22-2014, 09:16 PM
Del Taco? I was hoping for something more interesting where Alvarados was. Wasn't Alvarado's an Italian restaurant back in the day?

I think it was maybe a pizza place (if that qualifies as italian?)

Also, from what I have seen thus far, the move appears to have not had a negative affect on Alvarado's. They appear to be pretty busy at least at the times I am there. I haven't talked to Carlos much since they've been in there a few weeks, but they seem to be doing alright.

Also as far as the Thai Food discussion, I liked Lemongrass okay, but it was no Thai Palace. Lemongrass always seemed a little stingy on portions to me but the food was alright.

blink
03-25-2014, 02:48 AM
I've been to Alvarado's a few times in the past couple weeks and it's been the busiest I've ever seen it. I was there not exactly at busy times (2, 3 PM) and there were still at least a few tables of people there. By the time I left one of the times, there was a wait, which never happened at the old location. Glad to see it's doing well since it definitely deserves it.

Plutonic Panda
06-20-2014, 01:37 PM
Pepperoni Grill coming to Covell and Kelly

Site plan for a new Pepperoni Grill Restaurant approved

The commercial site plan for a new Pepperoni Grill Restaurant was approved 5-0 this week by the Edmond Planning Commission. No further action is required by the City of Edmond on this matter, Moore said.

Pepperoni Grill will be constructed on the south side of Covell Road, west of Walgreens Pharmacy at Kelly Avenue and Covell Road, Schiermeyer said.

The 5,437-square-foot brick veneer building will be 24 feet tall with 30 parking spaces with cross-access parking agreements, Schiermeyer said.

About 3,500 square feet of the building will make up the restaurant and the remainder of the building will be reserved for retail, he said.

- See more at: Commercial site plan approved for Davis Pump » Local News » The Edmond Sun (http://www.edmondsun.com/local/x1760108509/Commercial-site-plan-approved-for-Davis-Pump#sthash.8yKP5RC5.dpuf)

Will
06-20-2014, 02:47 PM
There are also signs for a restaurant called Cove Park in one of the spaces adjacent to Uptown Market. It's from the people who did Guernsey Park in Uptown, so I suspect an asian fusion concept.

Roger S
06-20-2014, 03:02 PM
Pepperoni Grill coming to Covell and Kelly

Could that mean they are moving out of PSM and Texas de Brazil would be moving in that location?

Plutonic Panda
06-20-2014, 03:06 PM
I don't think that will be case. Could be though.

rezman
07-01-2014, 11:34 AM
We had lunch at the new Qdoba at Covell & Kelly on Sunday. .. Pretty darn tasty.

Will
07-30-2014, 08:34 AM
There are also signs for a restaurant called Cove Park in one of the spaces adjacent to Uptown Market. It's from the people who did Guernsey Park in Uptown, so I suspect an asian fusion concept.

So I misread the sign originally, the name is "Covell Park". Signs are now up, and construction is underway inside.

Filthy
08-07-2014, 09:50 AM
I guess Guersney Park is opening an Edmond location. Cant get enough of that place. Definitely looking forward to smashing on some chicken lollipops. Not sure on exact location.

Pete
08-07-2014, 10:01 AM
I guess Guersney Park is opening an Edmond location. Cant get enough of that place. Definitely looking forward to smashing on some chicken lollipops. Not sure on exact location.

Where did you hear this?

pedmond
08-07-2014, 12:35 PM
Where did you hear this?

It was in The Oklahoman about a month ago. My wife and I have eaten at Guernsey Park several times, so we are really looking forward to having something similar in Edmond.

Grilling Oke-Asian | News OK (http://newsok.com/grilling-oke-asian/article/4925151)

"Covell Park, in Edmond, will be a sister restaurant to Guernsey Park. Nguyen said all signs point to a September opening in a space adjacent to Uptown Grocery"

OklahomaNick
08-07-2014, 02:47 PM
I had to post about a recent awesome Edmond restaurant experience. Cafe Icon in Edmond off 2nd by Target. It's a little bit off the path, but it is WELL worth it! I was told that it's the same people that ran (but shut down) tropical cafe on Edmond Road & Kelly. It's a sushi place and it's PHENOMENAL! We tried it because so many people raved about it, but it met our very high expectations for sushi! And the inside of the place is really cool and modern too. I really hope this place sticks around because it's excellent!

loveOKC
08-07-2014, 03:01 PM
My personal favorite restaurant in Edmond Is Fish City in the Spring Creek Shopping center off 15th and Bryant. They have daily fresh fish specials and a excellent fried seafood platter. Their Oyster Nachos are worth the drive in itself.

Plutonic Panda
08-07-2014, 06:30 PM
My personal favorite restaurant in Edmond Is Fish City in the Spring Creek Shopping center off 15th and Bryant. They have daily fresh fish specials and a excellent fried seafood platter. Their Oyster Nachos are worth the drive in itself.we've probably seen each other at one point or another because I eat there all the time.

GoOKC1991
08-08-2014, 03:36 PM
Fish City is awesome

Will
08-08-2014, 03:58 PM
Where did you hear this?

Probably read it in post #33 and #37 of this thread. ;)

Richard at Remax
08-13-2014, 12:36 PM
As I was going to lunch I saw that Snow Pea is putting in a restaurant in the old Del Rancho location on the SW corner of 2nd and Kelly. Does anyone know if its the same SP that's been on Western across from Nichols Hills Plaza for the longest time? And are they moving or just expanding? Regardless I cant wait.

Filthy
08-13-2014, 01:40 PM
Probably read it in post #33 and #37 of this thread. ;)

Interestingly enough..I didn't see those posts. I just eat there quite a bit, and the night before posting had actually had a quick conversation with the owner. My wife told him how much we love it, but that's its such a pain to drive from Edmond to eat there. He then said "Well...You're in luck, because I'm opening a restaurant in Edmond." We gave each other high fives, and took 7 shots together. It was the next day before I remember anything....and although it was a bit fuzzy...I guess I didn't pick up on the fact that it wouldn't be called Guernsey Park. But calling Covell Park obviously makes sense......since you know...its on Covell, and not on Guernsey Street.

boscorama
08-13-2014, 08:51 PM
We went to Ken's Pizza last week at lunchtime. Pizza was fair enough. However, the service was slightly weird. There was a hostess stand, attended by an employee who directed us to the counter to place our order. After ordering and paying in advance (buffet), we waited, literally, about 10 minutes before someone delivered our drinks. I noticed other tables having finished their salads with still no drink. Seriously, I'd just as soon get my own drink! Oh, and the napkins were the absolute cheapest, most worthless pieces of tissue ever, a throwback to some sorry-azz days.

On another note, Ken's in Guthrie is "temporarily closed", according to signage on the door.

jerrywall
08-14-2014, 09:46 AM
On another note, Ken's in Guthrie is "temporarily closed", according to signage on the door.

From the Ken's Pizza Facebook...

Someone Asked: Are you closing your Guthrie store?

Kens Pizza "The Pizza That Brings You Back": Yes.

Will
08-14-2014, 10:53 AM
Interestingly enough..I didn't see those posts. I just eat there quite a bit, and the night before posting had actually had a quick conversation with the owner. My wife told him how much we love it, but that's its such a pain to drive from Edmond to eat there. He then said "Well...You're in luck, because I'm opening a restaurant in Edmond." We gave each other high fives, and took 7 shots together. It was the next day before I remember anything....and although it was a bit fuzzy...I guess I didn't pick up on the fact that it wouldn't be called Guernsey Park. But calling Covell Park obviously makes sense......since you know...its on Covell, and not on Guernsey Street.

That's funny. My wife and I high-fived when we first saw the signs too. And then we made fun of ourselves for high-fiving over a restaurant. Haha.

Will
03-06-2015, 07:45 AM
Anyone tried Covell Park yet? We're planning on going, just haven't gotten the chance yet.

Plutonic Panda
03-06-2015, 07:47 AM
Passed by and looked to see how it was. Cool atmosphere. Haven't tried it though.

pedmond
06-05-2015, 02:41 PM
My wife and I have eaten at Gurnsey Park a number of times and have always liked it, so today we ate lunch at Covell Park. Bottom it's outstanding. The food, decor and atmosphere are all first class and Edmond is fortunate to have them here.

We had house salad, Pork Belly Mac & Cheese and Smoked Salmon appetizer. The food was excellent, the presentation was outstanding and the service was friendly and attentive.

Friday and Saturday nights they have live jazz from 7-10 and on Saturday and Sunday they serve brunch from 10am - 2pm. Both their dinner and brunch menus look delicious, so I know Covell Park will become part of our rotation.

BBatesokc
06-07-2015, 05:58 AM
Yeah, the wife and I and some friends have eaten at Covell Park a few times now and really like it (atmosphere, staff, food - all spot on). We usually do a mixture of sushi and appetizers.

I just wish they had the Scotch Egg on the menu like they have at Guernsey Park.

soonermike81
06-07-2015, 12:22 PM
Yeah, the wife and I and some friends have eaten at Covell Park a few times now and really like it (atmosphere, staff, food - all spot on). We usually do a mixture of sushi and appetizers.

I just wish they had the Scotch Egg on the menu like they have at Guernsey Park.

I heard the Scotch Egg was removed from Guernsey's menu as well. My wife loves it, and someone told her it's gone.

boscorama
06-11-2015, 08:44 PM
Friend tells me Delta Cafe has closed.

Debzkidz
06-11-2015, 09:25 PM
Yes I saw it in the paper this week.

jerrywall
06-12-2015, 10:28 AM
I heard the Scotch Egg was removed from Guernsey's menu as well. My wife loves it, and someone told her it's gone.

Wonder if this has to do with the egg shortage.

Dubya61
06-16-2015, 02:37 PM
Friend tells me Delta Cafe has closed.

If they're anything like the Delta Cafe in Shawnee, good riddance!

BBatesokc
06-16-2015, 06:48 PM

Well, that stinks! That was the only reason I could talk her into driving all the way there for dinner. Guess I'll have to check it off my list (too bad).

Doubt it has to do with the egg shortage. How many of these could they possibly have been making on any given day? Probably a problem with preparation and getting it right every time. No idea though.