10-10-2013, 02:10 PM
Any canners out there? I'm looking for a pressure canner and would
like to hear from those who own one.

Prunepicker
10-11-2013, 11:23 PM
Does anyone on this forum can?

I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy a Presto 23 quart canner. At one time
I had an All American pressure canner. It was awesome. I just can't
afford one. However, if someone has one for sale...

I'm going to start canning beef stew then green beans and corn. Soups
and sauces are next in line.

No jelly until Christmas. Jelly makes a good gift.

jerrywall
10-12-2013, 12:19 AM
I can, but I do boiling water cannon, so don't know anything about pressure canning.

I do pickles, apple butter, and jelly (when I get fresh fruit).

I go nuts at Christmas and use these for gifts.

Prunepicker
10-12-2013, 12:59 AM
I can, but I do boiling water cannon, so don't know anything about pressure canning.

I do pickles, apple butter, and jelly (when I get fresh fruit).

I go nuts at Christmas and use these for gifts.
Pressure canning is for meats and vegetables that are low acid.
You know. things such as beef stew, green beans, corn, chicken,
and the like.

Just to brag, I've won some first place ribbons in the County and
State fairs. My cimmanon (my spelling for personal reasons) rolls are
legendary. Never less than a blue. The recipe is so simple that nobody
will duplicate it.

At any rate, I hope the Presto Pressure Canner is a good selection. I'm
confident it will be.

Prunepicker
10-12-2013, 01:05 AM
... I go nuts at Christmas and use these for gifts.
Jellies and compotes are a fave gift. Unfortunately the pickled
beets never make it as gifts. For some reason they're eaten before
anyone can give put them in a package.

Do you use the Ball canning book? I find it quite impressive. The
recipes I've used have been nothing less than spectacular.

Anyone can can. Can can? Yes.

ljbab728
10-12-2013, 01:13 AM
My mother was an absolute canning expert. Many years of living on a farm with home grown produce made her perfect. She never needed a book or recipe.

RadicalModerate
10-12-2013, 06:00 AM
Behind my grandparents house (out in Shady Nook, c. 1960, when it was still country) there was a little well house. Along one wall of the well house were several shelves. On those shelves were jar after jar of home-canned stuff. There were no dates on them, but if there were, they probably would have been back in the early '40s. Also in that well house were spiders, scorpions, centipedes and other critters. Even before I ever heard of botulism, what was on those shelves was more scary to me than any of the critters that lurked and scurried out there. They looked like displays I had seen of strange stuff in jars at Science Oddities museums except covered by decades of dust and cobwebs. Maybe even some active Fiddleback webs

Since home-canning involves Mason jars or Ball jars why didn't they originally call it "Jarring" instead of "Canning"?
That's as big a mystery as what was on the shelves of that well house of childhood.

Maybe I should have put all that on the "What Really Scares Me" thread . . .

So, it isn't exactly "canning" (or "jarring") but is it a bad idea to throw some raw onions or pepper/pepper chunks or whatever into the leftover brine from store-bought pickles that you especially like? (I'm thinking of those Gedney Zinger sliced pickles.) I estimate that it would take at least a week for the brine to work on whatever you put in there and probably another week or so to use up whatever it is. Any "safety" risks there?

jerrywall
10-12-2013, 08:39 AM
I guess you could, but I don't see the advantage of reusing the brine. It won't save any time or much money.

I use leftover pickling brine for cooking fried chicken. Soak the fried chicken in the brine for at least 30 minutes before breading. I also use it as an ingredient in BBQ sauce, and when I slow cook pork tenderloin. At any given time I have 3-4 jars of of "pickle juice" as my kids call it, in the fridge.

RadicalModerate
10-12-2013, 10:02 AM
I guess you could, but I don't see the advantage of reusing the brine. It won't save any time or much money.

I use leftover pickling brine for cooking fried chicken. Soak the fried chicken in the brine for at least 30 minutes before breading. I also use it as an ingredient in BBQ sauce, and when I slow cook pork tenderloin. At any given time I have 3-4 jars of of "pickle juice" as my kids call it, in the fridge.

I just really like the taste of the Gedney's Zingers pickle juice. It's tasty and--yes--has a "Zing" to it. If you keep it refrigerated, it probably lasts almost forever. I was just wondering about any potential hazards from simply plopping some fresh, washed and dried, veggies in there. Onion . . . carrots . . . cucumber slices . . . jalapenos . . . serranos . . . etc.

Prunepicker
11-03-2013, 12:23 PM
I received the pressure canner yesterday. A 23 quart Presto with a
dozen pint jars, lids and rings. Now I'm waiting for my food processor
to arrive, and hopefully tomorrow. Green tomato salsa is first on the
list.