View Full Version : MythBusters: 4-Way vs. Roundabout

Questor
10-09-2013, 10:52 PM
Interesting results....

OvoFjirrgYA

venture
10-10-2013, 02:58 AM
Interesting test. So a roughly 20% increase in the amount of traffic that can be moved through with a single lane roundabout versus a 4-way stop. I would like to see them do something with a traffic light in a similar setup as well to compare. It would probably still confirm that the roundabouts are much more efficient at getting higher volumes of traffic on less roadway.

OKVision4U
10-10-2013, 07:10 AM
OK, this is simple... A Yield vs. A Stop. Which one is quicker? ...answer is: The one you don't have to stop at.......

Jeepnokc
10-10-2013, 07:32 AM
Except in Oklahoma where the vast majority have no clue how to enter a roundabout. I am amazed/frustrated every time I drive through the one by St Anthonys and the people stop with no other traffic in the circle.

Anonymous.
10-10-2013, 07:43 AM
Roundabouts are better in every category, this is not a myth.

The thing is OKC already passed the point of no return, IMO. We have stubborn drivers and driving tests that do not even mention a roundabout.

I guess it is possible OKC could begin implementing them, but I doubt it will happen in our lifetime.

Indianapolis has made it a point to get people to learn these and they have began converting to roundabouts.
Roundabout Projects (http://www.indy.gov/eGov/City/DPW/RebuildIndy/Projects/Pages/Roundabouts.aspx)

OKVision4U
10-10-2013, 07:57 AM
Roundabouts are better in every category, this is not a myth.

The thing is OKC already passed the point of no return, IMO. We have stubborn drivers and driving tests that do not even mention a roundabout.

I guess it is possible OKC could begin implementing them, but I doubt it will happen in our lifetime.

Indianapolis has made it a point to get people to learn these and they have began converting to roundabouts.
Roundabout Projects (http://www.indy.gov/eGov/City/DPW/RebuildIndy/Projects/Pages/Roundabouts.aspx)

Driver's are "dumb" all across the nation. Let's get the roundabouts "NOW", and the drivers will get accustomed to whatever is placed in front of them.

Of Sound Mind
10-10-2013, 08:27 AM
Except in Oklahoma where the vast majority have no clue how to enter a roundabout. I am amazed/frustrated every time I drive through the one by St Anthonys and the people stop with no other traffic in the circle.
My experience is that most don't know how to do much better with 4-way stops.

Roger S
10-10-2013, 09:15 AM

Or they stop once they are in the roundabout to let someone in.

SoonerDave
10-10-2013, 09:41 AM
One aspect of the roundabouts/4-way discussion that was not tested (and, in all fairness, isn't really possible to test) is the accident rate for each type of intersection. I think the roundabouts would have a decidedly mitigating influence on the number of accidents caused by someone flying through a red light or stop sign at 50mph (although I suppose folks could just plow across the diameter of the roundabout).

Very interesting notion.

ThomPaine
10-11-2013, 04:51 AM

I must admit, I have had the opportunity to use some colorful language directed at the "person" driving the vehicle in front of me when they have completely destroyed the simple joy of progressing smoothly through the roundabout and getting on to McNellie's.

ThomPaine
10-11-2013, 08:16 AM
Part of it is just not good markings and signage that are universally used.

Look at a dutch roundabout: Roundabout with priority for cyclists in the Netherlands - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEXD0guLQY0)

Do you see the white diamonds? Those are used universally and for all modes of transportation where you are supposed to yield. Heavy sign usage is avoided and paint is used instead because it is much more readable to all modes.

It's a lost cause for a long time, but our dependency on signs and a lack of focusing on readability and intuitiveness within our transportation systems will always make it harder to "teach" people how to navigate through them. And yes, that goes for public transit as well. In the Netherlands, if a transit system is hard to "Read" they blame the engineers and designers, not the rider.

Another example of this principle: Vision Zero Initiative (http://www.visionzeroinitiative.com/)

So, do our drivers not know how to drive through roundabouts because they are somehow less intelligent than Dutch drivers or do we simply do a poorer job of articulating what is expected of them? Food for thought.

Good points. Personally, I don't mind putting up with short term pain for long term gain, even if I do have to stop unexpectedly once in awhile (I find myself having to do that on on-ramps as well). People will learn, but our engineers should make it as simple as possible.

As for the engineers, I curse them once I get seated at McNellie's with a cold beer.

Larry OKC
10-14-2013, 02:14 PM
OK, this is simple... A Yield vs. A Stop. Which one is quicker? ...answer is: The one you don't have to stop at.......

Then there are those that think "Yield" means "Stop" (see just about any onramp in the metro) and have no concept what it takes to actually "Merge"...made more difficult to get back up to highway speed after coming to a complete stop...

venture
10-14-2013, 02:18 PM
Then there are those that think "Yield" means "Stop" (see just about any onramp in the metro) and have no concept what it takes to actually "Merge"...made more difficult to get back up to highway speed after coming to a complete stop...

People stopping on an on ramp annoying the living stuff out of me. However, I do give a pass to those on short on ramps like I-240 people there is very limited merging room and people here are mostly tools when it comes to getting over and letting people on. Not to mention those that refuse to move over to vehicles on the side of the road...or drive while it is raining with no lights on...or...wait. This is all for the Pet Peeve thread, so I'll stop. :)

Larry OKC
10-14-2013, 02:29 PM
venture70: Poorly designed ones are problematic for sure...

wonder how adding a more complex (multilane like they showed on the table at the beginning of the clip would effect things?

Also, it certainly makes since that having multiple cars in the intersection would lead to higher numbers, didn't they say with the 4 way stop that only 1 car was there at any given time? You can get at least 2 cars (from opposite directions)...still lower than the number possible with a roundabout but not as low as mentioned.

Urbanized
10-21-2013, 09:42 PM
...So, do our drivers not know how to drive through roundabouts because they are somehow less intelligent than Dutch drivers or do we simply do a poorer job of articulating what is expected of them? Food for thought.
I vote for somehow less intelligent. Now, if you'll excuse me I hear there's a new Miley Cyrus video on YouTube.

Larry OKC
10-30-2013, 03:04 PM
No, at times two cars went "straight" through together. It wasn't a single car a time through the whole experiment.
Agree, in actuality that certainly was the case Jamie notes that in the roundabout "at any given time there are 3, 4 sometimes 5 or 6 cars in the intersection" (much higher than at the 4-way, on a consistent basis) and at roughly the 9:10 mark they said about the roundabout, something to the effect: "By allowing more than one car through the intersection at a time..."

rizzo
12-05-2013, 09:46 AM
I have been through round a bouts in sedona, az. They work quite well. So does the on ramp meter lights. They make you stop when getting on the highways. To speed people up (when merging onto highway) you have to slow them down.