View Full Version : What happened to 99.7?

SoonerQueen
10-07-2013, 03:08 PM
I used to love listening to the True Oldies station 99.7. Now they are playing country music. Every time I have a station I really like, it disappears. Does anyone know why there was a change? It was a really good station.

Tydude
10-07-2013, 03:44 PM
they move station to 1640 AM now

SoonerQueen
10-08-2013, 11:37 PM
I can get it in my car but not in my house. Sad that they couldn't leave it where it was.

MWCGuy
10-09-2013, 12:43 AM
I can get it in my car but not in my house. Sad that they couldn't leave it where it was.

It all comes down to money at the end of the day. They have to find a format that will pay the bills, make payroll and make a reasonable profit. If the format doesn't make an income, away it goes. If the country format does not work out. It probably won't unless KXY, The Twister or Jake changes their format to something else. Tyler tried to keep KKNG on the air. However, in the end it failed because there are not enough listeners in the OKC market to keep four stations of the same genre on the air.

I predict one to three stations will probably flip to Christmas Music in late to mid November out of that will come a new station(s). KMGL will probably be the only one to keep their existing format. Although, they could flip because KOMA has raided there playlist leaving them with only the easy listening dentist office light rock as the only music of their own.

Snowman
10-09-2013, 03:34 AM
Sounds like there has been at least two major blows in over the last decade to Oldie radio, first was the largest portion of the audience getting past retirement and with that advertiser revenue dropping. More recently has been the industry wide hit taken from mp3 players and audio apps in phones, sure there was tape and cd players for many years but now most people can have their entire collection which can play for days without repeating carried with them without ads, any music didn't like or the less likable DJs; which integrates very easily with car, home or work entertainment systems. Some of the better DJs that worked what seems like forever in the genera either retiring or dying could be an issue but if the money is there they can probably find someone with passion for it.

bchris02
10-09-2013, 10:00 AM
It all comes down to money at the end of the day. They have to find a format that will pay the bills, make payroll and make a reasonable profit. If the format doesn't make an income, away it goes. If the country format does not work out. It probably won't unless KXY, The Twister or Jake changes their format to something else. Tyler tried to keep KKNG on the air. However, in the end it failed because there are not enough listeners in the OKC market to keep four stations of the same genre on the air.

I predict one to three stations will probably flip to Christmas Music in late to mid November out of that will come a new station(s). KMGL will probably be the only one to keep their existing format. Although, they could flip because KOMA has raided there playlist leaving them with only the easy listening dentist office light rock as the only music of their own.

I agree. OKC has traditionally had three country stations. Every couple of years someone will try a fourth one but it always fails. I guess corporate radio still thinks going country is safer than one of the many mainstream formats that OKC does not have i.e. alternative rock, urban, smooth jazz, standards, etc. I don't understand why that is.

Snowman
10-09-2013, 10:03 AM
I agree. OKC has traditionally had three country stations. Every couple of years someone will try a fourth one but it always fails. I guess corporate radio still thinks going country is safer than one of the many mainstream formats that OKC does not have i.e. alternative rock, urban, smooth jazz, standards, etc. I don't understand why that is.

It has been a while since I listened to local radio, how long has it been since we had an alt rock station

Bunty
10-09-2013, 10:11 AM

Your house radio is so old, it only goes up to 1600?

bchris02
10-09-2013, 10:21 AM
It has been a while since I listened to local radio, how long has it been since we had an alt rock station

A couple of years ago OKC had two of them. There was 94.7 the Buzz which is now a classic rock station, and 105.3 the Spy which is now a sports talk station (after a short stint as an adult standards station).

Bill Robertson
10-09-2013, 10:58 AM
I can get it in my car but not in my house. Sad that they couldn't leave it where it was.If you can get it at all you're lucky. In any of our cars 1640 is about half the volume of any other station. If you can hear it at all over the static. For all practical purposes the TOC no longer exists in OKC. Even though I didn't expect it to do any good I've emailed both the owner of KZLS and the owner of the TOC. No response from either.

SoonerQueen
10-09-2013, 01:21 PM
Your house radio is so old, it only goes up to 1600?

I think it's the quality of the signal. My radios aren't that old at all.

boscorama
10-11-2013, 08:25 PM
This is messed up.

In my car, there's one AM band (news/talk channels) and 2 FM's (one for rock, one for country). Over the last month this has taken a hit. Now, AM includes one oldies channel, while FM2 now includes one sports-talk (107.7) Football season was a smart time for The Franchise to come along as I never listened to sports talk before. One less oldies (99.7). KOMA is alone now, on my dial. How badly do I want to hear "Oh It's So Nice To Be With You"? Umm, never!