View Full Version : Lazy Postal Worker(Watch this video!!!!)

Plutonic Panda
10-04-2013, 11:58 AM
http://youtu.be/hs_9s31Je7Y

Well, at least she got out and causally threw the <1lb package on the porch.

Bunty
10-04-2013, 12:05 PM
Hopefully, it didn't say fragile on it.

ctchandler
10-04-2013, 01:29 PM
When I was a U. S. Navy Postal Clerk, we had a motto, never throw a fragile package more than 25 feet. And, we never did, I'm proud to say! Actually, I delivered a lot of AOCP (aircraft out of commission for parts) packages and, no, we didn't really throw fragile packages. Didn't want to take a chance of breaking cookies that some sailor had received from home, commonly called "care packages".
C. T.

MWCGuy
10-04-2013, 01:46 PM
I have noticed many of the vehicle delivery postal carriers are lazy like that. My parents dealt with one for years because he would not deliver mail if any cars were on the curb. The mailbox had plenty of space in front of it where UPS could pull right in and make deliveries but, this guy said he couldn't get his truck in there which is a third of the size of a UPS truck.

I have always like the foot delivery guys better because there almost always friendly and they look out for people on their route. Many have saved lives based on the habits they recognized from the customers on their route. If a customer didn't show up to meet them outside or they noticed there mail was piling up when it was picked up everyday like clockwork.

I also miss the old Mail Jeeps those things lasted forever and could get through any kind of weather.

Achilleslastand
10-04-2013, 02:06 PM
Sloth........

BBatesokc
10-04-2013, 02:49 PM
Gotta say, I've never had an issue with an actual postman beyond occasionally getting the wrong mail or my mail ending up at my neighbor's.

When we recently moved to Edmond, the neighborhood we are in is considered a 'rural route' even though we are basically at E 15 and Coltrane. The postman actually came to the door to introduce himself and explain what a rural route was and what perks he can provide and ask if we needed anything. I was actually pretty impressed.

RadicalModerate
10-05-2013, 11:26 AM
The video, at the top of this thread, adds another level of meaning to the sign: Beware of Dog.
I am astounded that one of the representatives of The "Through Rain, Sleet, Snow, etc. The Mail Will Go On" Posse has so little regard for pet lawns.

It just goes to show that they aren't being paid enough for Saturday delivery.

In reality, I think that we--in our neighborhood--have some of the best and friendliest post people ever.

ctchandler
10-05-2013, 12:47 PM
I live in a rural area and my driveway is 300' long and although there is no obligation for them to do this, if a package is too large for the mail box, they bring it to my front door. I have lived here almost forty years and have always had exceptional service from the Postal Service folks.
C. T.

zookeeper
10-05-2013, 01:19 PM
My postal worker stops by once a year or so and tells me about new services, their free package pickup, if I need stamps he's got some in the truck, etc. This last time he gave me a card and said if there are ever problems to call him at the branch. I get top-notch service from the USPS.

Oh, and if I need stamps and don't want to drive to the post office, he said I could leave a note on my box and he'd get some from the truck and ring the doorbell. Pretty full-service.

RadicalModerate
10-05-2013, 01:19 PM
"Neither snow, nor rain, nor heat, nor gloom of night, stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds."
- Herodotus, 503 B.C.
Inscribed on the General Post Office facility on 33rd Street and 8th Avenue in New York City.
(Source: USPS)

Based strictly upon the OP's video, they should probably add "curbs" and "lawns" to the list.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-ixFrz6Rh5MY/UDw0aslbyhI/AAAAAAAAZ08/LymbZQEfOfM/s1600/Trystero-small.png

zookeeper
10-05-2013, 01:23 PM
As for the video, it's not like this is a postal service problem, I've seen some YouTube doozies with UPS and FedEx doing some pretty crazy things.

RadicalModerate
10-05-2013, 01:48 PM
When I was a U. S. Navy Postal Clerk, we had a motto, never throw a package marked Fragile more than 25 feet.

Sorry, but every time I read the "F" word, I think of this. (It's a curse. =)

X1NR1omdvY0

(Android phones--such as that by which the vidclip was allegedly uploaded--haven't improved much since the late 30's)

ctchandler
10-05-2013, 04:34 PM
As for the "motto" see the following from the USPS web site.
C. T.
Postal Service Mission and “Motto”
Mission of the Postal Service

The United States Postal Service is an independent establishment of the Executive Branch of the
Government of the United States and operates in a business-like way. Its mission statement can be found
in Section 101(a) of Title 39 of the U.S. Code, also known as the Postal Reorganization Act:

The Postal Service shall have as its basic function the obligation to provide postal services to bind the
Nation together through the personal, educational, literary, and business correspondence of the
people. It shall provide prompt, reliable, and efficient services to patrons in all areas and shall render
postal services to all communities.

“Motto” of the Postal Service: Two Postal Tributes Chiseled in Stone
Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of
their appointed rounds.

While the Postal Service has no official motto, the popular belief that it does is a tribute to America's
postal workers. The words above, thought to be the motto, are chiseled in gray granite over the entrance
to the New York City Post Office on 8th Avenue and come from Book 8, Paragraph 98, of The Persian
Wars by Herodotus. During the wars between the Greeks and Persians (500-449 B.C.), the Persians
operated a system of mounted postal couriers who served with great fidelity.

The firm of McKim, Mead & White designed the New York General Post Office, which opened to the
public on Labor Day in 1914. One of the firm's architects, William Mitchell Kendall, was the son of a
classics scholar and read Greek for pleasure. He selected the "Neither snow nor rain . . ." inscription,
which he modified from a translation by Professor George Herbert Palmer of Harvard University, and the
Post Office Department approved it.

Another, less well known inscription can be found on the building that formerly was the Washington, D.C.,
Post Office and now is the home of the Smithsonian Institution's National Postal Museum. It is located on
Massachusetts Avenue and North Capitol Street, N.E.

Messenger of Sympathy and Love
Servant of Parted Friends
Consoler of the Lonely
Bond of the Scattered Family
Enlarger of the Common Life

Carrier of News and Knowledge
Instrument of Trade and Industry
Promoter of Mutual Acquaintance
Of Peace and of Goodwill Among Men and Nations.

The original of this inscription was called "The Letter" and was written by Dr. Charles W. Eliot, former
president of Harvard University. President Woodrow Wilson changed the text slightly before the
inscription was carved in the white granite of the Post Office.

HISTORIAN
UNITED STATES POSTAL SERVICE
OCTOBER 1999

RadicalModerate
10-05-2013, 08:13 PM
That was interesting. (really. no joke.)
It is also the longest "Mission Statement" that I've ever read.

Perhaps something along the lines of, say . . .
oh, i dunno . . .

"Mail. We Deliver. No Matter What"
might spin it better in the Modern Tweetosphere.

(plus probably would require less "forever stamps")

Mel
10-05-2013, 08:37 PM
I live in a neighborhood but I switched to a P.O. Box years ago. Cuts one more level of "chance" out of my life.

Plutonic Panda
10-05-2013, 08:37 PM
The video, at the top of this thread, adds another level of meaning to the sign: Beware of Dog.
I am astounded that one of the representatives of The "Through Rain, Sleet, Snow, etc. The Mail Will Go On" Posse has so little regard for pet lawns.

It just goes to show that they aren't being paid enough for Saturday delivery.

In reality, I think that we--in our neighborhood--have some of the best and friendliest post people ever.According to JTF, if you don't live in a high density area like Deep Deuce, Midtown etc., you don't live in a neighborhood. I think the term was, sub-division. You can subdivide, can't you?

RadicalModerate
10-06-2013, 06:51 AM
According to JTF, if you don't live in a high density area like Deep Deuce, Midtown etc., you don't live in a neighborhood. I think the term was, sub-division. You can subdivide, can't you?

I could when I was a zygote, but not anymore.

Bunty
10-07-2013, 07:59 AM
My postal worker stops by once a year or so and tells me about new services, their free package pickup, if I need stamps he's got some in the truck, etc. This last time he gave me a card and said if there are ever problems to call him at the branch. I get top-notch service from the USPS.

Oh, and if I need stamps and don't want to drive to the post office, he said I could leave a note on my box and he'd get some from the truck and ring the doorbell. Pretty full-service.
Congress needs to give the post office a break and stop requiring it to put huge amounts in its retirement fund. If the goal is to privatize the post office, I doubt that UPS or FEDEX wants to get in the letter and junk mail delivery business.