View Full Version : Barry Sanders Déjà vu

zookeeper
09-30-2013, 11:16 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQsykbQXVRA

This is from the Saturday night Stanford-Washington State game. He's going to be great! They say in the clip that he's a sophomore, but he's actually a red-shirt freshman. I just looked at the Stanford page and they don't recognize anything but academic years unless there's a 5th year and then they're called a "Fifth-year Senior."

What a clip. Brings back some memories, heh?

BoulderSooner
09-30-2013, 12:05 PM
lets not get carried away .(like the announcers) he made 1 cut .. wow .... there is a reason he is buried on the depth chart ..

MonkeesFan
09-30-2013, 12:06 PM
Barry Sanders=Over rated and yes I am being serious

Mississippi Blues
09-30-2013, 12:43 PM

Which Barry Sanders?

Mississippi Blues
09-30-2013, 12:48 PM
lets not get carried away .(like the announcers) he made 1 cut .. wow .... there is a reason he is buried on the depth chart ..

It was a pretty nifty cut, just like Barry Sanders Sr. used to make. Thats why they're getting "carried away" with it.

BoulderSooner
09-30-2013, 01:04 PM
Which Barry Sanders?

the NFL one for sure .. he is a great player .. a hall of fame player ..... but he is also not close to a top 3 or 4 RB of all time (in the NFL)

MonkeesFan
09-30-2013, 01:32 PM
Which Barry Sanders?

The one who played for the crappy Lions

Jake
09-30-2013, 01:48 PM
I don't know, considering he had a constantly terrible team year after year, I think he was extremely good. If he had Emmitt Smith's o-line he could have gotten the record.

dankrutka
09-30-2013, 01:53 PM
the NFL one for sure .. he is a great player .. a hall of fame player ..... but he is also not close to a top 3 or 4 RB of all time (in the NFL)

To say he's "not close" seems extreme. The criteria for what makes an all-time "top RB" is obviously subjective, but there are a lot of experts who put him in the top 3 or 4. I'd say he is at the very least close.

BoulderSooner
09-30-2013, 02:00 PM
I don't know, considering he had a constantly terrible team year after year, I think he was extremely good. If he had Emmitt Smith's o-line he could have gotten the record.

that is a huge myth ... the lions had a good passing attack most of his career .. and several pro bowl o linemen ...

the fact is that barry sanders didn't take 2 and 3 yard holes .. (because he always tried to get the big play) and while this got him tons of big plays (because he was a special talent) it also put his team in 2nd and long and 3rd and long way to often.

2nd and 3rd and long kill you in the NFL ..

also it is why he didn't get goal line and short yardage carriers as a lion ..

kelroy55
09-30-2013, 02:01 PM

Must be why he's a member of both the college and professional football halls of fame, he was ranked by NFL Top 10 as the most elusive runner in NFL history, and also topped their list of greatest players never to reach the Super Bowl. Averaging over 1,500 rushing yards per season, Sanders left the game just 1,457 yards short of being first place on the list for the NFL all-time rushing record at that time.

You may want to turn the volume down

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TflnHlQMt8

zookeeper
09-30-2013, 02:21 PM

Not close? I haven't seen many Top Whatever lists that he isn't at 1, 2 or 3 in the RB position. His peers also agreed, they ranked him as one of the best RB's of all-time for ESPN.

But forget that. BoulderSooner at OKCTalk always knows best, always right, and never admits when he's wrong.

AP
09-30-2013, 02:28 PM
BoulderSooner at OKCTalk always knows best, always right, and never admits when he's wrong.

I'm so glad someone finally called this idiot out.

onthestrip
09-30-2013, 02:38 PM
Are some peoples crimson glasses surgically attached to their face? No where close to the top 4 NFL RBs of all time..? Wow..

And Im not sure I will see the QBs of Scott Mitchell and Charlie Batch as being considered apart of a good passing attack. And might any good passing attack be because teams had to prepare for Sanders? Id say probably so.

bradh
09-30-2013, 07:42 PM
They did have a good passing attack, but the line was not anywhere near one of the NFL's best.

Achilleslastand
09-30-2013, 08:10 PM
If im not mistaken Detroit was in the playoffs 5 or 6 times during Sanders career. They also had only 1 victory in those visits to the playoffs and that was against the Cowboys. It was that game or might have been a regular season gm against the Cowboys but he put a move on Tony Casillas as well as pretty much the whole defense that was top notch.
He was great and id take him over 98% of backs playing today.

Buffalo Bill
09-30-2013, 09:19 PM
that is a huge myth ... the lions had a good passing attack most of his career .. and several pro bowl o linemen ..

If by "several pro bowl linemen" you meant, Lomas Brown, I guess you're right.

dankrutka
09-30-2013, 09:39 PM
Are some peoples crimson glasses surgically attached to their face? No where close to the top 4 NFL RBs of all time..? Wow..

Uh, lots of Sooners making an argument for Sanders. Just because everyone doesn't have "Sooner" in their name doesn't mean we don't exist.. We have feelings too. ;)

zookeeper
09-30-2013, 11:12 PM
Uh, lots of Sooners making an argument for Sanders. Just because everyone doesn't have "Sooner" in their name doesn't mean we don't exist.. We have feelings too. ;)

Exactly. Sooner fans know a thing or two about great running backs. Any educated Sooner fan wouldn't think twice about ranking Barry in the top 5 in history.

MonkeesFan
10-01-2013, 12:14 PM
If im not mistaken Detroit was in the playoffs 5 or 6 times during Sanders career. They also had only 1 victory in those visits to the playoffs and that was against the Cowboys. It was that game or might have been a regular season gm against the Cowboys but he put a move on Tony Casillas as well as pretty much the whole defense that was top notch.
He was great and id take him over 98% of backs playing today.

No you won't, you would take Adrian over Barry if you are a Sooners fan :tongue:

BoulderSooner
10-01-2013, 12:18 PM
so why did sanders get almost no short yardage and goal line carries? and why does he have the most carries for loss in the history of the NFL .. and how did that effect his team?

Richard at Remax
10-01-2013, 02:44 PM
Look at the list of baseball players in the hall of fame that are on the list for most times being struck out. your argument is moot and silly and Im ashamed for even responding to your opinion.

BoulderSooner
10-01-2013, 05:26 PM
Look at the list of baseball players in the hall of fame that are on the list for most times being struck out. your argument is moot and silly and Im ashamed for even responding to your opinion.

In the nfl 2nd and 3rd and long kills a team. And even more so pre the new nfl d rules. If you don't know that then I guess we are done

zookeeper
10-01-2013, 06:17 PM
In the nfl 2nd and 3rd and long kills a team. And even more so pre the new nfl d rules. If you don't know that then I guess we are done

So, BoulderSooner, why do so many of his peers, sportswriter polls, etc. always rank him in the top 3? Are they just not privy to your information?

ou48A
10-01-2013, 08:04 PM
Its pretty tough to know exactly who belongs in a top 5 RB all time NFL player list.
But one thing is certain, JR is no SR.

Spartan
10-01-2013, 09:04 PM

Lol

Spartan
10-01-2013, 09:07 PM
Not close? I haven't seen many Top Whatever lists that he isn't at 1, 2 or 3 in the RB position. His peers also agreed, they ranked him as one of the best RB's of all-time for ESPN.

But forget that. BoulderSooner at OKCTalk always knows best, always right, and never admits when he's wrong.

And usually digs in deeper at the whiff of being proven wrong

MonkeesFan
10-02-2013, 02:02 AM
Lol

I do not know why it is funny? Walter Payton is better

sgt. pepper
10-02-2013, 06:05 AM
Barry Sanders (Sr.) was the best (arguably) running back in the NFL. He still blows me away every time I see clips of him playing. Imagine his numbers if he played on a championship team. My favorite college football team is WHOEVER is playing Oklahoma State! But OSU had some great players and BS is by far the best one. As far as the (Jr.) clip...it's just one play? I am sure he is a good player, but give him some time to earn some bragging rights.

BoulderSooner
10-02-2013, 09:25 AM
this is from another site .. but it is all true ...

-- Despite most people insisting he had no supporting cast around him, he had great receivers with Herman Moore and Brett Perriman, and two pro-bowl linemen who constantly opened up holes for him to run through

-- Could Not pass block

-- played much better in the Silverdome

-- SUCKED in the playoffs

-- Of the five leading rushers in NFL history, he is the only one to never even make a super bowl appearance

-- Was not an every down player since he refused to hit holes and could not catch

-- Led the NFL in negative runs and constantly got his team in 3rd and long situations

and the entire he was a one man team argument kind of goes away being that after he quit on his team in August .. the Lions made the playoffs without him

OkieHornet
10-02-2013, 10:56 AM
fwiw, barry james sanders (stanford) isn't a "jr". dad is barry david sanders (osu).

ou48A
10-02-2013, 11:18 AM
If I'm starting an NFL team the poke Barry Sanders would not be the the first running back I would take. As great as he was he could still be caught from behind. On the other hand nobody ever caught a heathy Kansas Comet from behind in a full sprint.... That's who I would take first. Great man too.

zookeeper
10-02-2013, 01:30 PM
I thought when I posted the clip that everybody would think that it was the neatest thing to see Barry Sanders (the son) looking just like Barry Sanders (the dad). Yes, it was one play, but he jigged and jagged just like Dad. I'm surprised even this thread has to be picked apart. OKCTalk is a nice family, but it's dysfunctional.

onthestrip
10-02-2013, 03:22 PM
this is from another site .. but it is all true ...

-- Despite most people insisting he had no supporting cast around him, he had great receivers with Herman Moore and Brett Perriman, and two pro-bowl linemen who constantly opened up holes for him to run through

-- Could Not pass block

-- played much better in the Silverdome

-- SUCKED in the playoffs

-- Of the five leading rushers in NFL history, he is the only one to never even make a super bowl appearance

-- Was not an every down player since he refused to hit holes and could not catch

-- Led the NFL in negative runs and constantly got his team in 3rd and long situations

and the entire he was a one man team argument kind of goes away being that after he quit on his team in August .. the Lions made the playoffs without him

about the pro bowl lineman (taken from an article):
Lately I have heard talk of Barry having run behind “two Pro Bowl offensive linemen,” and this is true—but never both at the same time. Left tackle Lomas Brown was a Pro Bowler from 1990 until the Lions let him walk in 1995. Center Kevin Glover was a Pro Bowler in '96 and ‘97—and then the Lions let him walk.

From another article on pass blocking (article comparing Emmitt and Barry:
Blocking - A vital skill for NFL RBs that is often missing in stat sheets, Emmitt was superb in pass protection. Barry was surprisingly effective at times, which made for a great sight when the little 200-pounder stopped a blitzing LB in his tracks, but few were or are as consistent and smart about their pass protection assignments as #22.

Everyone plays better at home

Barry didnt suck by himself in the playoffs, the Lions franchise does. Detroit has won 1 playoff game since 1957. Detroit is one of the worst performing sports franchises in the history of sports.

He averaged 5 yards a carry for his career. Id take him every down. Also averaged 35 catches a season, not sure why someone would say he couldnt catch.

BoulderSooner
10-03-2013, 09:13 AM
about the pro bowl lineman (taken from an article):
Lately I have heard talk of Barry having run behind “two Pro Bowl offensive linemen,” and this is true—but never both at the same time. Left tackle Lomas Brown was a Pro Bowler from 1990 until the Lions let him walk in 1995. Center Kevin Glover was a Pro Bowler in '96 and ‘97—and then the Lions let him walk.

From another article on pass blocking (article comparing Emmitt and Barry:
Blocking - A vital skill for NFL RBs that is often missing in stat sheets, Emmitt was superb in pass protection. Barry was surprisingly effective at times, which made for a great sight when the little 200-pounder stopped a blitzing LB in his tracks, but few were or are as consistent and smart about their pass protection assignments as #22.

Everyone plays better at home

Barry didnt suck by himself in the playoffs, the Lions franchise does. Detroit has won 1 playoff game since 1957. Detroit is one of the worst performing sports franchises in the history of sports.

He averaged 5 yards a carry for his career. Id take him every down. Also averaged 35 catches a season, not sure why someone would say he couldnt catch.

glover was a 3 time pro bowler .. including in 1995 when he and Lomas brown made it for the lions in the same year and Glover was voted as an All-pro in 94 (a higher award than pro bowl) ... and Golver was a starter with Brown in detroit for pretty much 10 years .. so that author is clueless to that point ..

also why was he not in the game in short yardage and on the goal line??

onthestrip
10-03-2013, 09:48 AM
glover was a 3 time pro bowler .. including in 1995 when he and Lomas brown made it for the lions in the same year and Glover was voted as an All-pro in 94 (a higher award than pro bowl) ... and Golver was a starter with Brown in detroit for pretty much 10 years .. so that author is clueless to that point ..

also why was he not in the game in short yardage and on the goal line??

Dont even know why Im arguing about two lineman as if they are the reason Barry Sanders was any good. Someone will probably come on here and say that he had an amazing line at OSU too..

And I think its dumb to not have him in on goal line situations but if you play any fantasy football you will know there are many top RBs that get taken out in short yardage situations for a bigger, powerful RB.

I can see how people would say that Sanders wouldnt be there first pick if they were building a team but to say that hes not even close the top 4 RBs of all time is flat out stupid.

BoulderSooner
10-03-2013, 11:29 AM
Dont even know why Im arguing about two lineman as if they are the reason Barry Sanders was any good. Someone will probably come on here and say that he had an amazing line at OSU too..

And I think its dumb to not have him in on goal line situations but if you play any fantasy football you will know there are many top RBs that get taken out in short yardage situations for a bigger, powerful RB.

I can see how people would say that Sanders wouldnt be there first pick if they were building a team but to say that hes not even close the top 4 RBs of all time is flat out stupid.

maybe lots of running backs are taking out on the goal line ... however none of the top 5 running backs of all time got taken out on the goal line ..

onthestrip
10-03-2013, 12:41 PM
So one guys decision, head coach Wayne Fontes, to go with another back in short yardage plays makes Barry no where close to the top 4 of all time? Pretty sure there was always people criticizing Fontes decision to do that but I guess he still did it and thus Barry is probably outside of the top 10 of all time because of it...

Spartan ain't lying about you digging in deeper even when you are wrong. Or at least wrong when compared to all conventional and football experts wisdom.

BoulderSooner
10-03-2013, 02:02 PM
So one guys decision, head coach Wayne Fontes, to go with another back in short yardage plays makes Barry no where close to the top 4 of all time? Pretty sure there was always people criticizing Fontes decision to do that but I guess he still did it and thus Barry is probably outside of the top 10 of all time because of it...

Spartan ain't lying about you digging in deeper even when you are wrong. Or at least wrong when compared to all conventional and football experts wisdom.

sal palantino ... merl hodge and lots of other NFL reporters and analysts .. agree with me