View Full Version : Interesting Driving Experiences Thread

Plutonic Panda
09-29-2013, 10:59 PM
I just thought it'd be cool to share experiences people have had with interesting and notable drivers(to put it nicely). I have a few I'll share later. This is a hilarious bumper sticker I saw the other day.

https://scontent-b-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/v/1368696_10201378283731587_602757332_n.jpg?oh=1cc9b 1345a8573505b7d48d34b819842&oe=524B019A

Of Sound Mind
09-30-2013, 10:41 AM
I need one like that!

RadicalModerate
09-30-2013, 10:52 AM
So . . . I was sitting at a light on Hefner, during the PM rush hour, when a car blasting some of that thumping ghetto noise (excuse me, I meant "audio urban culture expressionism") rolled up in the lane to my left. It was a nice day and I had the window down so I hollered above the din, "HEY! WHY DON'T YOU TURN THAT UP SO MORE PEOPLE CAN ENJOY IT?"

Guess what . . . They TURNED IT DOWN!!!!

I guess there is more than one way to be a contrarian anti-socialite.

Bill Robertson
09-30-2013, 11:17 AM
A couple of weeks ago I was going north on Hefner Speedway. A good looking, recently painted, old VW bus got on at 10th Street. All the rest of the way to Memorial he would slowly move halfway into the lane to his left. Then he would swerve quickly back into his lane or even a bit too far to the right. Then repeat over and over. I wasn't sure whether to go around and run away or stay slow and keep behind him. Decided to stay back, way back.

zookeeper
09-30-2013, 11:22 AM
A couple of weeks ago I was going north on Hefner Speedway. A good looking, recently painted, old VW bus got on at 10th Street. All the rest of the way to Memorial he would slowly move halfway into the lane to his left. Then he would swerve quickly back into his lane or even a bit too far to the right. Then repeat over and over. I wasn't sure whether to go around and run away or stay slow and keep behind him. Decided to stay back, way back.
The VW Bus - the official ride of the 1960's. They were probably still enjoying the sixties on the radio (and in other ways too that caused the swerving).

Martin
09-30-2013, 11:22 AM
saw one of these a few months ago... -M

http://images.bidorbuy.co.za/user_images/843/1329843/1329843_120720105401_Untitled.jpg

RadicalModerate
09-30-2013, 11:24 AM
Maybe the VW driver should have spent some money on getting his front end fixed and aligned instead of on a new paint job. =)
(It could have been tie-rod ends, ball joints, caster, camber, pollux, or just a loose nut behind the wheel. )

Speaking of VW Vans . . . Back in about '72 I rode all the way back to Boulder, Colorado in a VW van. Just on the edge of town (at the time), on the NW Expressway, we heard a strange banging, slapping noise in the rear. The driver pulled over and we got out to look and see what was wrong. Didn't find anything. Started back up and made the long drive back to the Rockies sometimes at speeds approaching 70 mph. It wasn't until the day after we got back that the source of the problem was located: One of the rear tires had lost its entire recap tread. About 600 miles earlier.

MadMonk
09-30-2013, 12:17 PM
LOL, I saw one the other day that said something like "Yeah, yeah, I know. License and registration". I guess he wants a little extra attention from the patrolmen.

boscorama
09-30-2013, 06:54 PM
So . . . I was sitting at a light on Hefner, during the PM rush hour, when a car blasting some of that thumping ghetto noise (excuse me, I meant "audio urban culture expressionism") rolled up in the lane to my left. It was a nice day and I had the window down so I hollered above the din, "HEY! WHY DON'T YOU TURN THAT UP SO MORE PEOPLE CAN ENJOY IT?"

Sometimes, when stuck next to those cretins, I'll lower my window and blast back with whatever AM talk radio show available. I know, it's discourteous of me. Sometimes it gets their attention but I don't make eye contact.

Achilleslastand
09-30-2013, 07:53 PM

I have heard Two Chainz aka Copernicus makes wonderful "audio urban culture expressionism".

RadicalModerate
09-30-2013, 08:04 PM
Sometimes, when stuck next to those cretins, I'll lower my window and blast back with whatever AM talk radio show available. I know, it's discourteous of me. Sometimes it gets their attention but I don't make eye contact.

Your comment is an affront to cretins.
(the next "audio, personal space-invading/trespassing contributor" at the same traffic light, btw, required the turning up of The Classical Station (that my wife was tuned-into . . . KCSC? or whatever, frankly i was sorta groovin' to it too) to nearly unbearable levels. but i don't apologize. i only do what is right. =)

RadicalModerate
09-30-2013, 08:05 PM
I have heard Two Chainz aka Copernicus makes wonderful "audio urban culture expressionism".

I thought 2-ChainZ changed his name to DickHeD..... or was it TurdZrUS?
(but I've been rong B4.)

N eye think it's Kopernicus (correct spelling-wise).
On account of The Artist formerly noun as 2ChainZ is like a roads skolar for the noo millennium.
At least according to his fanZ.

But we digress from The Topic . . . (Interesting Driving Experiences) . . .
(sorry) (carry on . . . talk among yourselves . . . ) (i apologize for the interruption . . .)

ps: the trick is that the stupider and more moronic the "music" is, the more accidents there are and the easier the herd is to control. =)

Pop KwiZ: Was there any "road rage" involved in this engagement, as described? The real answer is No. It was more like marveling at the results of a proactive, tactical, bull**** response. =) And it worked! Since I quit being a biker/truckdriver, I thought my "friendly, semi-insistent" not suffering fools approach was gone, never to return. =)

Achilleslastand
09-30-2013, 08:18 PM
I thought 2-ChainZ changed his name to DickHead..... or was it TurdZrUS?
but I've been rong B4.

N eye think it's Kopernicus (correct spelling-wise).
On account of The Artist formerly noun as 2ChainZ is like a roads skolar for the noo millennium.
At least according to his fans.

But we digress from The Topic . . . (Interesting Driving Experiences) . . .
(sorry) (carry on . . . talk among yourselves . . . )

Lemme axe u a question
What momph does his new CD drop?
I cant wait to lissen ta dat.

Mel
09-30-2013, 09:14 PM

just ask for a hit of whatever makes them drive like that

RadicalModerate
09-30-2013, 10:11 PM
Lemme axe u a question
What momph does his new CD drop?
I cant wait to lissen ta dat.

I must admit, here, that I am unfamiliar with what be a "momph".
I will, however, be looking out for a clue as to the meaning of "momph" on my next driving adventure.
Interesting or not.

I have a sneaking suspicion that "momph" may have something to do with the inability of some steerers to merge--or allow merging--in the immediate vicinity of an entry/exit ramp next to a "freeway" that actually happens to be a toll road. Yet, as I said, I'm not sure about "momphs".

Achilleslastand
09-30-2013, 11:33 PM
I must admit, here, that I am unfamiliar with what be a "momph".
I will, however, be looking out for a clue as to the meaning of "momph" on my next driving adventure.
Interesting or not.

I have a sneaking suspicion that "momph" may have something to do with the inability of some steerers to merge--or allow merging--in the immediate vicinity of an entry/exit ramp next to a "freeway" that actually happens to be a toll road. Yet, as I said, I'm not sure about "momphs".

lasmomph=last month
lasear=last year

Get with the times man.......

Bill Robertson
10-01-2013, 11:53 AM
just ask for a hit of whatever makes them drive like that(In my best Cheech & Chong voice)"It must have been good stuff, man!"

RadicalModerate
10-02-2013, 08:05 AM
Maybe this should be "Adventures in Driving" rather than "Interesting Driving Experiences". (I'm not sure . . .)

Location: Southbound on Penn, at 140th Street, inside lane, c.5:15pm. A lump of mindless protoplasm behind the wheel of a vehicle in the left-turn lane (to my left), waiting to make a left-turn, sits motionless until someone honks and in so doing snaps the blob out of its stupor and causes it to lurch forward toward the intersection and make it through just as the arrow goes to red.

Location: Southbound on Penn, just south of Memorial Rd. A small white car, behind a large RV that is meandering aimlessly down the middle of the road (in what would be the area for proper turn lanes), swerves into my path in order to get around the road barge--the RV, mentioned above--that is apparently piloted by a Walmarian who looking for a way to get into that outpost of the hive rather than focusing his third eye on traffic safety. The small white car flies on down Penn as I continue to brake and try to move over to the right as the RV drifts dangerously into my lane at about five miles an hour.

Location: Southbound on Penn, at 122nd. Another Left-Turn Dozer (in the left-turn lane next to me) lets the five or six cars in front of her make it through the green arrow before being roused from her slumber by horn of one of the cars behind her. She runs the (now red) light and, as a bonus, leaves the more attentive driver, who had provided the wake-up honk, an opportunity to sit and fume at the light until the next green arrow will appear.

(But Wait! There's More!!!)

Location: Just south of Hefner, on Penn. A southbound car in front of me makes a seemingly random U-turn, in front of oncoming evening rush hour traffic, using the first intersecting side street (across from Love's HQ), to become a northbound car. I look over at the driver as he passes me going the other direction and wonder, "Does he think he's back in Nairobi or Lagos?" (I watch the travel channels, Globe Trekker and so forth: Kenyans and Nigerians are notoriously bad drivers. This isn't bias. It is a simple fact.)

And all of that within the space of five or six minutes and two or three miles . . .

It seems to me that the police could have a very well-paid field day writing tickets in this area for Inattentive Driving and/or Operating a Motor Vehicle While Under the Influence of General Stupidity. Why, they might even be able to parlay the traffic stops into some No Seatbelt, No Insurance or No License citations!

I've come to the conclusion that "Driverless Cars" aren't something imaginary . . .
Not an advancement in technology that lies just over the virtual horizon.
They already roll among us. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

OKCisOK4me
10-02-2013, 05:53 PM
I was doing 25 in a school zone once when this family in a hooptie passed me doing at least 35. I honked and pointed at the signs lipping "slow down" and the little girl in the back of the car flipped me off. Talk about ironic...

Plutonic Panda
10-02-2013, 09:04 PM
I was doing 25 in a school zone once when this family in a hooptie passed me doing at least 35. I honked and pointed at the signs lipping "slow down" and the little girl in the back of the car flipped me off. Talk about ironic...Even though I enjoy driving very fast, I generally do about 15-20 through school zones just to be safe. I honestly think there should be a cop at every single school zone through the entire duration of the school zone.

zachj7
10-03-2013, 03:25 AM
Whenever someone is blasting rap and being all gangster, I open all windows and blast the classical station. It usually gets a laugh from the gangster people.

RadicalModerate
10-03-2013, 05:18 AM
Whenever someone is blasting rap and being all gangster, I open all windows and blast the classical station. It usually gets a laugh from the gangster people.

Chances are that if one had a really good sound system and kept an 8-track of THIS handy, for these sorts of situations, it might work almost as well as classical music . . .
NEH3uqbpsm8

Especially if you are driving a pimped out vehicle like this . . .
http://arcweb.sos.state.or.us/pages/exhibits/ww2/images/protection/raid19-4.jpg

RadicalModerate
10-05-2013, 07:19 AM
Location: Southbound on Penn by the Walmartian Klusterfukke, inside lane. Indecisive Center-Straddling Left Turner, in a car, decides not to make the turn and wanders into my lane right in front of me. A large, 4-Door Road Barge Pickup behind him makes the same indecision, except when he drifts to the right I am right beside him and I'm forced to swerve into the outside lane to avoid an accident.

Location: Southbound on Penn, a couple of blocks south of the above incident, approaching the "Freddie's Light" now in the outside lane. Pinhead in a small SUV, in the inside lane, to my left, puts on his right turn signal. I think he is just trying to get around stopped traffic caused by someone trying to make what should be an illegal left turn into the Freddie's parking lot. I slow down a little to let him over and the dickhead makes a friggin' right turn--from the outside lane--onto the intersecting street.

They ought to post roadsigns on Penn at 122nd and 150th Streets saying "Abandon Hope All Ye Who Enter Here"

stick47
10-05-2013, 07:47 AM
Friend broke his car at Thunder Valley Raceway late one night and as another friends car also broke that night (if you ain't breaking, you aint racin') and with only one trailer between the lot of us we took one tie down strap off the trailer to use to tow the 2nd car back to NW 50th St in Okc. Made good time through Noble & Norman on 77 then went West on I-240 but before we got to I-35 some fella on a motorcycle came up the on-ramp and tried to get in BETWEEN the tow pickup and the car BEING TOWED! The guy was very insistent on squeezing in there too. Would liked to have seen his face when he figured out his error.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2h9HPZhqHE

RadicalModerate
10-05-2013, 08:11 AM
That is probably why THEY require a red flag (or at night, a light) in the middle of a towing device.
Especially on Interstate Highways.

Of course, if the insistent biker was wearing a red bandana . . .

(I once towed a tractor-trailer rig with a broken drive shaft--while driving a tractor-trailer rig myself--from up around that college in Edmond to 4th and Bryant. We tried to stick to the frontage roads as much as possible. It seemed like a good idea at the time.)

Plutonic Panda
10-05-2013, 08:34 PM
Location: Southbound on Penn by the Walmartian Klusterfukke, inside lane. Indecisive Center-Straddling Left Turner, in a car, decides not to make the turn and wanders into my lane right in front of me. A large, 4-Door Road Barge Pickup behind him makes the same indecision, except when he drifts to the right I am right beside him and I'm forced to swerve into the outside lane to avoid an accident.

Location: Southbound on Penn, a couple of blocks south of the above incident, approaching the "Freddie's Light" now in the outside lane. Pinhead in a small SUV, in the inside lane, to my left, puts on his right turn signal. I think he is just trying to get around stopped traffic caused by someone trying to make what should be an illegal left turn into the Freddie's parking lot. I slow down a little to let him over and the dickhead makes a friggin' right turn--from the outside lane--onto the intersecting street.

They ought to post roadsigns on Penn at 122nd and 150th Streets saying "Abandon Hope All Ye Who Enter Here"Wow, does this happen regularly? Are these very recent? The drivers(self driving cars ;)) must love you for some reason lol