View Full Version : ? for the ladies

mranderson
07-14-2005, 12:59 PM
Ladies: You have accepted a date from a man. He says he does not have much money. (can only afford less than 20.00 for the two of you).

If you could choose what you would do (please include eating establishments), what would it be? (it must be within that budget)

Would you say "sorry, loser. If you can't give me a good time, then forget it.", or accept him for what he can provide.

In addition. You just met the man and agreed on the daye. How would you react when he said he did not have much money? Would you run thinking he was cheap, or what?

Faith
07-14-2005, 01:26 PM
I would offer to cook dinner and use the 20 dollars to buy the groceries if needed or some wine.

pilar5422
07-14-2005, 01:52 PM
I agree with okcgoddess. I'd make a picnic dinner, let him pay for the wine, and go have a picnic in the park or something. If this was a man I didn't know very well, I wouldn't be cooking for him at my house, or his for that matter.

That being said, if it ever got to the point where he was looking for me to pay for things because he was broke, I'd drop him like a hot potato. I wouldn't have a problem dating on a budget, but I'm not going to be paying for the whole thing.

Curt
07-14-2005, 03:03 PM
Man Mr. Anderson, why cant we find women like OKCGODDESS and Pilar5422, ya know..........
All the good ones are taken anymore. I am about to throw in the towel.

sweetdaisy
07-14-2005, 03:53 PM
Personally, I'm all about splitting the check on the first few dates. If you hit it off, there will be plenty of other opportunities in the future for him to splurge, etc.

I know this is completely backward thinking, but I don't like feeling like I "owe" anyone anything. It's a mututal opportunity to get to know one another. I don't think he should have to pick up the tab for that.

Karried
07-14-2005, 04:43 PM
On my first date with my husband, he forgot his wallet!

He was mortified but I didn't worry about it, good thing as he has supported our family ever since we had children and I was able to be a stay at home mom... you just never know and can't make assumptions. Now if he 'forgot' his wallet on the second and third date, we wouldn't have been 'we'
:-) ha,ha

I think if someone brought up to me that he only had $20 or little money for our date that would be so much worse than not saying anything at all and recommending just going out to the lake or to the park.. I think a thoughtful picnic idea with cheese and crackers and a bottle of wine would be all that it took for a second and third date. Eating for two under $20.00 is pretty rare these days. If a date took me to fast food or Denny's I would have serious reservations about our ability to get along in the future. I would be okay at Chilis even, but Denny's or fast food, no way - never on the first date. I would rather have some thought into what I like to do instead of eating out. A bookstore with some coffee or a trip to the museum or something to that effect. You only get one chance to make a good first impression especially being more mature. When I was 20 maybe...

Stingy is never attractive by either the man or woman. I don't think men should have to pay the entire bill and the woman should at least offer to pay her share, pick up the tip or buy a few drinks.

Leon
07-14-2005, 06:00 PM
I think the best first date would be a weekday lunch date...Chili's, Rock Island, etc. Not too expensive, you both know going in that you only have about an hour. This would especially work for a blind date or with someone you met in the internet. Agree not to email for at least three days afterward. Then if one doesn't want to see the other again, neither should be too upset. Make yourself believe going in that it's a one-time thing to protect yourself from hurt.

That'd be a great $20.00.....I'll easily eat $10.00 worth myself.

osupa05
07-14-2005, 08:21 PM
I think it would be fun to get some cheap seats at a baseball game (I think the seats on the grass at the redhawks are five dollars or so), then maybe an ice cream cone afterwards! Definitely could date a guy and spend less than $20! Of course I'm a poor college student, so I'm used to living frugally (spl?). If there's a flea market or something, I think it would be fun to each take $10 and see what kind of "gift" you can buy for the other person, or see who can buy the most junk for the same amount of money! Of course that's not a frugal way to spend hard earned money, but fun none-the-less (maybe more of a been dating for awhile, already know each other sort of well kind of date). I'm all about not doing the typical dinner thing on a first date anyways. Guys get kudos if they can be creative (ever had a picnic in an elevator?).

Leon
07-14-2005, 10:04 PM
Osupa, you should suggest a Redhawks game in the Outing thread. I could go for that. And if no one wants to sit in the grass, lemme know and I'll have a ticket waiting for you at the Will-call window.

Intrepid
07-17-2005, 09:09 PM
I think it would be fun to get some cheap seats at a baseball game (I think the seats on the grass at the redhawks are five dollars or so), then maybe an ice cream cone afterwards! Definitely could date a guy and spend less than $20! Of course I'm a poor college student, so I'm used to living frugally (spl?). If there's a flea market or something, I think it would be fun to each take $10 and see what kind of "gift" you can buy for the other person, or see who can buy the most junk for the same amount of money! Of course that's not a frugal way to spend hard earned money, but fun none-the-less (maybe more of a been dating for awhile, already know each other sort of well kind of date). I'm all about not doing the typical dinner thing on a first date anyways. Guys get kudos if they can be creative (ever had a picnic in an elevator?).

I too am always up for a baseball game. I have sat on the grass at the Brick yet, but have vivid memories of sitting on the "hill" at many 89er games.

Intrepid
07-18-2005, 08:00 AM
I too am always up for a baseball game. I have sat on the grass at the Brick yet, but have vivid memories of sitting on the "hill" at many 89er games.

That should have read "...have NOT sat on the grass at the Brick yet..."

=)