View Full Version : Anyone know anything about school transfers?

09-25-2013, 02:31 PM
I was curious if anyone knew anything or had any experience with transferring kids to another school district? My house sits on the Mustang/Moore district line but is technically assigned to Moore. Personally this doesn't make sense as the closest Moore school is over twice the distance house than Mustangs schools. My wife and I were kind of mislead when we bought the house as to thinking it's in Mustang's district as I stated before because of how close it was to Mustang schools, and even a mile and a half from Mustang city limits. Since both my wife and I graduated from Mustang we'd rather our future kids go to this school. At the same time we don't want to have to deal with hassles every year to get it done. I've done some reading and it sounds like if the school accepts your transfer app then you should be good to go. It also mentions offering bus service, which isn't a stretch IMO as the Mustang bus literally goes in the neighborhood next to mine. Even if my kid had to walk to where the bus goes now it would be a few hundred feet.

I've also read that you can dispute assigned attendance school. Not sure what exactly this means, but I was wondering if I could actually get my house changed to the other district due to its' location. It's not like I'm way out, I'm literally on the line. If this could be done, it would probably make things in the long run.

So if anyone has any insight I would be interested. Thanks.

09-25-2013, 02:43 PM
I'm not sure how this works but I do know that your property taxes go to the school district where your house is officially located.

So, I could see where Mustang would not be excited about providing education to a housing tract that sends all of it's tax dollars to Moore.

I think you have to physically live in the district -- and prove that -- before you can send your kids there. What you may have read about transferring probably applies to actually moving your official residence from one school district to another.

09-25-2013, 02:48 PM
Here is the residency requirement from the Mustang School District website:

New Student Enrollment – Proof of Residence
Students enrolling in Mustang Public Schools shall be required to provide two (2) verifiable proofs
of residency. The parent/legal guardian shall be asked to provide current utility billings and/or
lease agreement, contract on a home, warranty deed statement, ad valorem tax statement or
mortgage statement. The school shall accept a current gas, electric or water and sewer billing.
Telephone billing, television cable billing, personal checks or driver’s license will not be accepted.
If utility billings are not available, the school shall accept a statement from the utility company that
the services have been established. The letter must be on letterhead and signed by an
appropriate official.

Residence Affidavit
Residency is defined as living in a home exclusively within the boundaries of the MPS district.

09-25-2013, 02:49 PM
Ask Mustang Public Schools for information about the Open Transfer law.

09-25-2013, 02:57 PM
This the Oklahoma Open Transfer Law...

It seems to only apply in very limited situations, such as a specific grade not being offered in the home district, some type of emergency, etc.

I really don't think it's possible to live in one school district and merely choose to send your kids to another public school.

However, it certainly wouldn't hurt inquire with the Mustang schools.

School Laws of Oklahoma | Oklahoma State Department of Education (

09-25-2013, 03:33 PM
This is just one of those annoying quirks where you live in one city, live closer to another school district, yet your kids would be bused across town to another.

I hate to inquire directly at the school as I'm guessing I'd have to go through quite a bit, and I don't have school aged kids right now. I'd rather not have to move, but I guess that's always a possibility.