View Full Version : Your thoughts/reviews on U-verse TV/internet

Achilleslastand
09-25-2013, 11:22 AM
We got a call this morning from ATT about U-verse. Since it was new to the area they are offering a special. A TV package with 300 channels and an internet speed that's about 5 times faster then what I currently have{DSL}. Something like 130$ for the whole package. Seems like a good deal on paper but what are your thoughts/reviews on U-verse?

Roger S
09-25-2013, 11:53 AM
Loved it when I could get it..... Unfortunately it's not available where I live in Old Town Moore.... Oddly there is an AT&T building right down the street from me but I can't get U-Verse.

I'm hoping that maybe with all the utlitity relocation being done in preparation for the work on Broadway that we will be able to get it soon.... I really do not like COX at all.

HangryHippo
09-25-2013, 12:00 PM
I was extremely disappointed with them. Lots of unexpected charges and changes to the bill and services that were next to impossible to get sorted. Intermittent service interruptions became all too frequent. Sometimes, the internet speed and reliability became a serious problem, particularly when it came to wireless internet.

But when everything was working as it should, it blew Cox out of the water. Sadly, it didn't often work as it should. Those are the only two services I have any experience with.

Midtowner
09-25-2013, 12:11 PM
I have a real problem with the wireless. My connection is terrible. I need to get my house wired anyhow.

SoonerDave
09-25-2013, 02:50 PM
I have no experience with the contemporary ATT or UVerse...but I know a friend who had Cox from the time he moved into his house - TV, 'Net, phone, everything. Got a deal from ATT. Took it. Had it - I think - one month. After a second or third round trying to get everything working, cable not working, emails not working, internet worked intermittently to not at all, then get one thing fixed, another would break, billing was screwed up, phone was screwed up, etc. etc., he got so infuriated he called 'em up and told 'em to rip everything out.

Went back to Cox.

Hasn't looked back.

Don't know the particulars, just remember him with plenty of choice words for ATT and their inability to get a simple install working. Now, that said, I'm sure there are plenty of nightmare stories out there about Cox, but I can't say that's not the only ATT story I've heard. I'd probably advise extreme caution. I've got Cox, and while I'm not crazy about the cable TV selection, the Internet service has been fine, and I don't use their phone service anymore (doing it myself for $0.00/month). I'm happy.

Zuplar
09-25-2013, 03:51 PM
When I had U-Verse internet at my old house in town it was pretty solid. I too had some issues with getting it installed properly, but honestly, so many of the installers for anything are crap. They aren't trained properly and end up winging it, which usually never works. I've only had 2 good installers, both from DirecTV, but the main reason I'm sure they were good is because they were installation trainers/managers.

kevinpate
09-25-2013, 09:56 PM
I have had U Verse just over 4 years. Left Cox when I decided they and I differed significantly on what constituted a reasonable level of customer service. Haven't regretted it at all. UV has been dependable and they are not slow to upgrade their hardware when a problem has cropped up.

I wouldn't mind ditching the VOIP that constitutes the landline, a needless relic expense in my view, but my lovely wants to retain the number and not rely on cell service only. It's not a bad service, just no longer a necessary one.

MadMonk
09-25-2013, 10:17 PM
I have u-verse internet. It works great and is a big improvement on the DSL I previously had. I was thinking about getting the TV as well, but when the tech came out to install the internet hardware, he warned me that the signal in my area was too weak to accommodate both TV and Internet access. It hasn't quite been a year yet so I doubt that has changed, but I might have them come back out and do another signal check. I'd really like to ditch Directv.

WilliamTell
09-26-2013, 02:37 AM
I loved uverse when we lived in Edmond. Unfortunately we can't get it now.

I would describe my hatred of cox, but its a waste of my time. I get a headache just thinking about it.

SoonerDave
09-26-2013, 07:38 AM
I have had U Verse just over 4 years. Left Cox when I decided they and I differed significantly on what constituted a reasonable level of customer service. Haven't regretted it at all. UV has been dependable and they are not slow to upgrade their hardware when a problem has cropped up.

I wouldn't mind ditching the VOIP that constitutes the landline, a needless relic expense in my view, but my lovely wants to retain the number and not rely on cell service only. It's not a bad service, just no longer a necessary one.

Were it not for the fact that most people we know have our land line number (that I've had for > 20 years), and the fact that I pay nothing to maintain it since I host it on my own network (other than $0.80/mo for e911 service), I'd be right there with you. Doesn't surprise me in the least people are ditching their landlines otherwise, especially younger folks that have not yet established a home. No need.

Of Sound Mind
09-26-2013, 07:47 AM
*** double-post ***

Of Sound Mind
09-26-2013, 07:48 AM
Switched from Cox (as a customer of 15+ years) to AT&T Uverse about six months ago, mostly out of frustration with Cox's abysmal handling of a billing issue (that was their problem) with truly incredibly unreasonable billing department customer service — I never had a problem with their other customer service reps. Even though I was nervous making the switch, and wouldn't have made a change if not for Cox's arrogance and intransigence, I haven't regretted at all. In fact, I actually like the Uverse service much better. Cox foolishly let a loyal customer go and handed their competition a historically loyal and lucrative customer. Their loss and MY gain!

kevinpate
09-26-2013, 08:04 AM
Were it not for the fact that most people we know have our land line number (that I've had for > 20 years), and the fact that I pay nothing to maintain it since I host it on my own network (other than $0.80/mo for e911 service), I'd be right there with you. Doesn't surprise me in the least people are ditching their landlines otherwise, especially younger folks that have not yet established a home. No need.

I probably ought to look into porting the number into a roll your own setup. Two of our three grown children do not have land lines. The one who does has horrid cell reception in the housing area of the air base she and her family presently call home.

Anonymous.
09-26-2013, 08:10 AM
The UI of Uverse is insanely better than Cox. Not sure on price comparisons.

WilliamTell
09-26-2013, 08:35 AM
Like so many others I was under the cox brainwashing mentality that i was going to be losing something and sorry about my switch.

I left them for cable 5 years ago (first for u-verse when we lived in edmond), now we have dish and i've been extremely happy with them.

Now if i could get rid of the internet which is horrible. I've had techs out 3 times, bought newer equipment, changed devices and i still have to call about once a week to get them to restart me on their servers. Plus dealing with the every 6 month price hikes for the same speed service.

I hate them.

BoulderSooner
09-26-2013, 08:53 AM
The UI of Uverse is insanely better than Cox. Not sure on price comparisons.

the contour interface is very very good with cox

purpledice42
01-21-2014, 11:37 PM
TAKE THE INTERNET PART OF THE DEAL!!!!!
My two boys and I moved from Bartlesville where we had Uverse for only 35 a month NO LIMITS and NO THROTTLING and then I remained on the welcome package that DISH allows you to stay on indefinitely (with plenty of channels considering all you can watch for free online these days) for only 20 bucks.
Anyway, lost the home to fire and came back to my real home, OKC or Midwest City to be exact and called Att to restart our Uverse who DID NOT tell me it wouldn't be Uverse but DSL (with its BS limit of 150gb per cycle only!!) as well as making a callous comment about the loss of our forum modem in the fire.
PLEASE everyone!!!!! GET ON ATT to get Uverse's cable's installed where you live!!! I cannot even fathom how a puissant town like fartlesville had it and apparently most of the major metropolis of OKC does not.

Servicetech571
01-22-2014, 05:18 AM
I have Cox internet, no TV or Phone services. Not paying $100/mo to watch what is 95% Junk. The 5% I do want to watch I can get with an antenna or find online