View Full Version : Open Burn in the city limits

elitespy
09-24-2013, 08:10 AM
My co worker has a neighbor who keeps burning in his backyard from sun up to sun down. She has called and complained about it multiple times but nothing seems to help. It's got to where she can't even open her windows anymore and the smoke gives here sinus problems. She has even gone over and offered to pay them to stop burning. Is there some type of law or ordinance that would stop him from burning all the time. She said she doesn't mind it some times but it's constant, and with the weather we have been having it's hard for her to keep her windows up cause it makes her furniture smell like smoke... From what she says he is burning just about anything he can find from leaves, logs, dead tree stumps, her dad even said he is probably burning poison ivy... If you guys know anything that might would help her out that would be awesome.

kevinpate
09-24-2013, 09:19 AM
Call the OKC Action Line. 405 297-2535

They can get her to the right party if open burning is against city codes.

WilliamTell
09-24-2013, 09:19 AM
If you really want to.speed it up offer to get a blower (or box fan will work) and turn it into a furnance. With a couple of cinderblocks and a.fan you can get rid.of amazing amounts of.debris in a short amount of.time. most people think they are doing others a favor by doing.a little bit at.a time but it really just drags it out.

Also very little smoke when its that hot.

If you know what your looking for construction crews do this constantly but most people never notice since there isn't.the smoke.

rezman
09-24-2013, 09:22 AM
You didn't say what city you are referring to. Have your neighbor call the fire marshal and give them the offending address.

I live in rural Okc, and many people open burn from time to time. Mostly brush and tree limbs. But we are respectful of our neighbors, and are very observant of current weather conditions so as not to create an out of control situation.

Wambo36
09-24-2013, 09:56 AM
If they are in the city limits of OKC they have to have a burn permit. These are issued by the FD but come with rules and stipulations that should keep the problems your friend is having to a minimum. Have them call the Fire Marshal @ 297-3584 and they will help with the problem.

elitespy
09-24-2013, 10:07 AM
Okay, sorry guys I guessed that she lived in OKC, but she lives in Mustang... Guess I should have found that out before posting.

Wambo36
09-24-2013, 11:31 AM
Have them call the non-emergency # for the Mustang FD. 376-9365