View Full Version : Things that REALLY scare you!

Pages : [1] 2

bucktalk
09-20-2013, 08:18 PM
Either simply enter your list with or without explanation:

1. Clowns. (they're just freaky to me)
2. Out of control government debt. (duh)

bucktalk
09-20-2013, 08:20 PM
Opps left off one:
3. Snakes. (creepy, creepy, creepy)

RadicalModerate
09-20-2013, 08:36 PM
Raw Ocean Fish at any Sushi Bar in The Midwest.
The Rise of The Zombie Cyber-Proto-Borg.

Dustin
09-20-2013, 08:39 PM
1. The ocean
2. Cancer

boscorama
09-20-2013, 09:15 PM
Lou Gehrig's Disease
Scorpions
Head-on car crashes

Plutonic Panda
09-20-2013, 09:30 PM
Brain eating amoebas and the meningitis they can cause

kevinpate
09-20-2013, 09:34 PM
Baby Sparkles. No doll that old should still be popping up in odd places. Fortunately she lives in WY now.

on edit: A close second would be the actor Stephen Merchant.

OKCisOK4me
09-20-2013, 10:24 PM
Oijia Boards ... my mom says they're evil and I believe her.

RadicalModerate
09-20-2013, 10:37 PM
Black Widow Spiders
(but only the ones that sneak up on you while you are sleeping. other black widows just creep me out, the same way that scorpions and big centipedes do).

(also, not being able to resist explaining my position despite explicit directions from the OP not to do so)

rcjunkie
09-21-2013, 12:15 AM
Bad Mexican food and signs that say "Next Restrooms 50 Miles"

Bunty
09-21-2013, 01:25 AM
Oijia Boards ... my mom says they're evil and I believe her.

I second that! My girlfriend messed with it for a while, until she spotted the pointer moving by itself. It scared her so bad that she quickly threw her Quija board away. Why play around with a possible gateway to the unknown spirit world? As you follow the pointer around on the board with your partner, the unknown is who the hell is controlling this pointer, because it sure as hell isn't me?

Just the facts
09-21-2013, 06:15 AM
People who wear tunics. I never trust them.

When my wife hears a noise and tells me to check all the closets.

Public speaking.

RadicalModerate
09-21-2013, 08:31 AM
Inside The Ouija Board Factory
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-IJ_maa8pgQI/Tq5XGbIxi1I/AAAAAAAAAPE/8uU2nuZqj6M/s1600/ouija.jpg

Pete
09-21-2013, 08:48 AM
Political posts outside the Politics forum.

Which is why I deleted them. :)

ctchandler
09-21-2013, 09:14 AM
Any thing that can fly and sting. I have hunted rattlesnakes (caught them live, brought them home), I live with/around brown recluse spiders, scorpions, and an occasional black widow, no problem, bees/wasps, big problem.
C. T.

bradh
09-21-2013, 09:16 AM
bees/wasps/hornets

Pete
09-21-2013, 09:18 AM
I've always hated heights and more specifically, the feeling of falling.

So, I have a deep fear of most thrill rides and that lose-your-stomach sensation.

OKCisOK4me
09-21-2013, 09:22 AM
bees/wasps/hornets

I'm 6' 5", 220lbs, and you will laugh at me if you see me around anything like that. I will flutter my arms and run screaming like a little girl if one of those get near me, lol.

kwhey
09-21-2013, 09:27 AM
Bees/Wasps/Hornets and spiders. All evil and coming to get me.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
09-21-2013, 09:37 AM
For me....I ain't skeert of hardly anything.

For my (very young) children? EVERYTHING TERRIFIES ME.

RadicalModerate
09-21-2013, 09:59 AM
Clown Spiders
http://static.fjcdn.com/pictures/Did_9ce02d_426126.png

("So . . . Was that a REAL Clown Spider?
Or just a spider dressed as a Clown Spider?")

betts
09-21-2013, 10:42 AM
I love bees! I hang out with bees. I'm terrified of heights and I get this weird, electrical feeling in my knees when I even look at pictures of people standing on the edge of a cliff. I had to crawl to look over the Grand Canyon because I was afraid to stand up. But oddly, it doesn't bother me to look out the window of a building or an airplane.

Pete
09-21-2013, 10:47 AM
Bees (and most flying insects) are of no threat unless they are near/protecting their hive.

The bees you see out flying around are virtually zero threat.

OKCisOK4me
09-21-2013, 10:51 AM
Bees (and most flying insects) are of no threat unless they are near/protecting their hive.

...says the man that won't ride a roller coaster :tongue:

RadicalModerate
09-21-2013, 10:57 AM
I'm allergic to bee/wasp/hornet/etc. stings. So they are potentially as dangerous to me as a poisonous snake. However, I am more wary of them than scared of them. Although, I have to admit that having a stunned wasp hit me then crawl into my helmet while riding my motorcycle at about 60mph was pretty scary . . . and the time that we did some work on a rarely used lake house, down by Lake Texhoma, that was crawling with enough various wasps to make a Stephen King movie was a bit freaky. (there were, like, thousands of them . . . really. [shudder])

WilliamTell
09-21-2013, 11:05 AM
Dark water. Like swimming in an un lit swimming pool at night, or murky lakes unless im out swimming off a boat in the middle of the lake.

Had a run in at lake carl blackwell where my foot touched the remains of what used to be a tree (i hope it was) when i was fairly far from shore and it freaked me out.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
09-21-2013, 11:06 AM

The three wasp stings on my neck a couple of months ago disagree with that. They were just mean!

/would rather get stung by a wasp than bit by a mosquito.

Just the facts
09-21-2013, 04:16 PM
Falling over a dam spillway. Hover Dam used to freak me out as kid. I hate those over-flow spillways. If you don't know what I am talking about google them. The only thing between you and falling into that was a 3-foot tall railing. When I was about 5 I fell off a low water dam and went down the spillway. My grandfather fished me out of the water downstream so that probably has something to do with my fear.

Prunepicker
09-21-2013, 05:58 PM
I honestly can't think of anything. Don't get me wrong, I don't pretend
to be a super man. I simply can't think of anything.

bucktalk
09-21-2013, 06:06 PM
Strains of infections that are immune from antibiotics. Yikes!

Prunepicker
09-21-2013, 06:11 PM
Is it about dying? Will you elaborate?

betts
09-21-2013, 07:48 PM

Write your congressmen and tell them to stop the sale of antibiotics to farmers to use as growth promoters. Then, the next time your doctor offers you a Z-pack for a cold or sore throat, ask him or her precisely what they're treating. If they didn't do a throat culture, a chest x-ray, a urine culture or a CT of your sinuses, they probably don't know. In Sweden they stopped allowing the use of antibiotics in feed animals and started a massive education campaign to stop antibiotic overuse in humans. In 10 years their incidence of MRSA plummeted. And by using the money previously spent on antibiotics for extra feed, their animals were no smaller.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
09-21-2013, 10:06 PM
I honestly can't think of anything. Don't get me wrong, I don't pretend
to be a super man. I simply can't think of anything.

Yeah. Me neither.

I mean...I'm not afraid of dying really. I'll avoid it if I can, if not...Well...The end!

I guess...Getting rolled over, feet first, by a steam roller maybe? That would suck pretty bad. Feet first in a woodchipper would probably be a bad way to go.

RadicalModerate
09-21-2013, 10:28 PM
Is it about dying? Will you elaborate?

I don't think that is as much about "dying" as in the manner of death.
(think EBOLA).

I get a little "fear/scare-twinge" every time the tornado sirens are tested at noon on Saturday.
It's sort of like having a wasp land on my arm or shirt collar. Or waking up from dozing off with a Wolf/Giant Grass Spider on my belly.
But it's only for a moment and the twinge goes away. I think it could be called a Pavlovian Response except for the fact that we--and when I use the word "we" I mean me and maybe you--aren't being threatened by RooskieCommie Bombs/Nuclear Armageddon anymore and I am a human being rather than a dog.

Plus, watching the original version of "The Time Machine" (about the same time as The Cuban Missile Crisis) makes me wary of sirens. =)
And GPS Directed/Driverless Automobiles. =)

(ps. I have to admit that "head-on collisions"--noted above--resonated with me in terms of scary stuff.)

Apologies to The OP for verbiosity (or however that is spelt) rather than listing. =)

ThomPaine
09-21-2013, 11:02 PM
Two movies:
1- The Exorcist (because, you know, not really sure that's not possible)
2- Idiocracy (because, you know, not really sure that's not possible)

ljbab728
09-21-2013, 11:12 PM
Two movies:
1- The Exorcist (because, you know, not really sure that's not possible)
2- Idiocracy (because, you know, not really sure that's not possible)

If we're going to start talking movies, I have to vote for the original "Alien". It had me totally unnerved.

RadicalModerate
09-21-2013, 11:38 PM
If we're going to start talking movies, I have to vote for the original "Alien". It had me totally unnerved.

Scariest ever . . . Except, maybe, for the one in the Jon Carpenter original remake of "The Thing" with Kurt Russell.
(and the "ghosts" in "the original" "The Haunting" were pretty scary too. on account of you couldn't be sure that they were really there. =)

I think the set designer probably studied crabs and octopi.
And had a Giger counter.

http://www.artitude.eu/immagini/pillole-di-arte/giger.deadbabies-2911101821150.jpg

Sorry to digress . . .
(for the list):
"'Bored' teens" in Duncan (et. al.)

stlokc
09-22-2013, 12:00 AM
The collapse of the oil & gas industry.

RadicalModerate
09-22-2013, 12:07 AM
Electricity somehow mysteriously vanishes or quits working.
(Leading inexorably to bumper stickers saying: Who is Reddy Kilowatt?)

ljbab728
09-22-2013, 12:17 AM
The collapse of the oil & gas industry.

Maybe, whenever that happens anyway. :)

MWCGuy
09-22-2013, 12:25 AM
The the thought of being eaten alive.

The stupidity of our politicians on both sides of the aisle.

Our society falling apart from the end of morals and ethics in our society. (Do not steal, Do not lie, Do not cheat, Respect each other, Respect each other's property, Respect and protect the things that are meant for everyone to enjoy.)

ljbab728
09-22-2013, 01:22 AM
The the thought of being eaten alive.

So you'e seen "Alien" :wink:

RadicalModerate
09-22-2013, 08:25 AM
Or perhaps the opening scenes in "Jaws" . . .? [shudder]
(that was pretty scary!)

How about the concepts and themes behind . . .
Carnival of Souls (that old, black and white one that seemed to be filmed out around Great Salt Lake)
Jacob's Ladder
Eraserhead
Shutter Island
Siesta
Taxi Driver

TaoMaas
09-22-2013, 10:32 AM
Heights scare me now...although they never used to phase me at all. It changed when I got talked into doing a tandem skydive (against my better judgement). Our primary chute failed and we were forced to go to our back-up. Luckily it worked just fine and we made it down okay. I didn't think I had been affected that much until I started having little flashbacks. I think the first time was while watching that armed forces commercial where they open up the back of a transport plane and shove some kind of vehicle out the back. It's like I have some kind of post traumatic stress thing and I'm not entirely sure why.

BlackmoreRulz
09-22-2013, 11:50 AM
One of my kids dying before I do.

Plutonic Panda
09-22-2013, 08:03 PM
Oijia Boards ... my mom says they're evil and I believe her.I spent the night with a friend one time, he started messing with one, and I just got up and said "done"! I left and walked on home lol

ck76
09-22-2013, 09:26 PM
draper lake at night.....

Prunepicker
09-22-2013, 09:30 PM
draper lake at night...
LOL! My Mom got a ticket for not having a fishing license @ 1966.
Too funny.

I had a girlfriend who lived about 1/2 mile from the lake. She wasn't
that scary.

MWCGuy
09-22-2013, 11:35 PM
One of my kids dying before I do.

I am right there with you. I don't want to go until I have had the chance to be a grandpa for a decade or two. I don't event want to think about anything happening to my son. I never thought I could love something as much as I do him. I pray that he lives a long joyful life and leaves this world long after I do. Maybe I will be lucky enough to see him become a grandpa.

If I have my way about it I will live long into my 120's.

MWCGuy
09-22-2013, 11:36 PM

Yes, I have... I was talking more along the lines of lions, tigers, bears and sharks.

RadicalModerate
09-22-2013, 11:47 PM
"lions and tigers and bears, oh my . . ."
BUT WHAT ABOUT THE FLYING MONKEYS????? =)
(oh. wait. they may be omnivores but there is no evidence of people eating. (yet) nevermind.
bacteria, on the other hand, are out of control! (yikes)

zookeeper
09-23-2013, 02:14 AM
Yeah. Me neither.

I mean...I'm not afraid of dying really. I'll avoid it if I can, if not...Well...The end!

I guess...Getting rolled over, feet first, by a steam roller maybe? That would suck pretty bad. Feet first in a woodchipper would probably be a bad way to go.

Death doesn't bother me a bit. We're here for a blip of time anyway. We begin dying the first day we're born. We're all doomed - each and every one of us. We're all on a highway that ends with a cliff. Some reach it sooner than others, but we all go over. Acceptance of mortality is the first step toward sanity.

kevinpate
09-23-2013, 06:35 AM
draper lake at night.....

Draper isn't near on as scary as it once was, and even in the day, the scare in my opinion was far more in stumbling across a corpse than becoming one there.
Like Crossroads, very few bad things happened, but a rep got set and it has remained for a long time.

City parks with blatant solicitation issues would spook me more than Draper, by a big margin. Some folks just don't take rejection well.

Richard at Remax
09-24-2013, 12:47 PM
My wife when she is hungry

MsProudSooner
10-03-2013, 09:53 AM
I've always hated heights and more specifically, the feeling of falling.

So, I have a deep fear of most thrill rides and that lose-your-stomach sensation.

I hate the feeling of falling and thrill rides but I'm not afraid of heights. I had no trouble going up to the top of the Empire State Building or the Top of the Rock. I don't know how I would feel if there wasn't a sturdy railing.

BBatesokc
10-03-2013, 10:07 AM
Most of my fears/anxieties I actually take head-on because I actually like the sensation of being afraid. Ex: I don't like heights, spinning, upside down roller coasters or even some scary movies - but I often intentionally insert myself into those situations for the thrill of being afraid and proving to myself its nonsense.

That said, I have a very real fear or anxiety regarding large crowds of people where testosterone may be on the rise (ie the recent bikers vs. SUV event or large rowdy sports venues). So, I avoid those situations whenever possible.

RadicalModerate
10-03-2013, 12:48 PM
I'm scared that the new evidence that Bigfoot is real isn't real.
(i'm also scared that that may sound irrational but . . .)

I'm also scared when powerful people broadcast blatant lies to the public.
Big Lies such as "The Only Thing We Have to Fear is Fear Itself."
(obviously THAT isn't a true statement. just check out this thread.)

Roger S
10-03-2013, 01:40 PM
Brisket served in most Oklahoma Q-raunts and unfortunately since I blog about Oklahoma Q-raunts..... I have to face that fear on a regular basis.

Romulack
10-03-2013, 01:46 PM
Widths

MadMonk
10-04-2013, 10:01 AM
I fear that when I die I'll be reincarnated into a spider and I'll have to go through getting swatted/smashed/obliterated for every time I've done it to one of them, like some sort of karmic payback. I take a live and let live attitude toward them outside but, if I spot Mr. Spider in my home, he's not long for this world.