View Full Version : Kelsey Griswold & Miss America Contest

ljbab728
09-15-2013, 08:55 PM
Congrats to Kelsey who is an OCU student and was Miss Bricktown before becoming Miss Oklahoma. She is a beautiful and talented young woman who we have good reason to be proud of. She finished as second runner up continuing Oklahoma's strong showing at this contest.

Teo9969
09-15-2013, 09:40 PM
She also got a totally crap question compared to the other 4 finalists.

Miley Cyrus Twerking vs. Political Sex Scandals, Racial/Body-Image issues, Economic/Racial issues and SYRIA!!!!!

You've just got to be kidding me.

I think Miss New York totally deserved it and I liked her a lot throughout the entire competition...

MWCGuy
09-15-2013, 09:59 PM
I always thought it was ridiculous that they ask women in beauty conests political questions. It's not like the President, The Supreme Court or Congress is going to consult them on anything. If anything they should be asking about their character, the charitable causes they support, what they have done for their communities, what will they do to uphold a positive image of Miss America, etc, ect.

Political questions are nothing more than asking "Do you agree with our political beliefs? By the way you best answer these questions the way we want you too or you can guarantee your going home without a crown little girl."

ljbab728
09-15-2013, 10:45 PM
I always thought it was ridiculous that they ask women in beauty conests political questions. It's not like the President, The Supreme Court or Congress is going to consult them on anything. If anything they should be asking about their character, the charitable causes they support, what they have done for their communities, what will they do to uphold a positive image of Miss America, etc, ect.

Political questions are nothing more than asking "Do you agree with our political beliefs? By the way you best answer these questions the way we want you too or you can guarantee your going home without a crown little girl."
It's not so much what answer they give. It's about the poise they show when answering a controversial question under pressure with something that at least appears to make sense. Whoever wins is asked many such questions throughout the year and they have to know that she can handle it.

As a side note, I'm glad they have moved the contest back to Atlantic City. I always thought the move to Vegas was a bad idea.

kelroy55
09-16-2013, 05:48 AM
It saddens me to see all the ignorant racial posts made after she was crowned.

"The liberal Miss America judges won't say this - but Miss Kansas lost because she actually represented American values. #missamerica." That was Todd Starnes, host of Fox News and Commentary.

Miss America crowns 1st winner of Indian descent; racist tweets flow - CNN.com (http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/16/showbiz/miss-america-racist-reactions/index.html?hpt=hp_c2)

WilliamTell
09-16-2013, 07:41 AM
Sickening...but read any news story and the racist comments are the same.

I don't typically talk about personal issues - but I have a diverse extended family and will never forget being at my sister in laws graduation dinner with the facility at a local university. She had spent her entire school career and 10 years of college working to become a physician. One of the class leaders got up to give out awards and introduced her as our 'local terrorist'. Crowd busted out laughing a I saw the look in her eyes and at that moment I finally got it.

That with a few deliberate words disguised sarcasm and jest a person tried to strip her of every thing she spent her life working for.

Sickening.

kelroy55
09-16-2013, 07:54 AM
Sickening...but read any news story and the racist comments are the same.

Unfortunately you're right. I looked on a couple different sites and the comments are the same. People that say there's little racism in this country must not see what a lot of people are posting.

WilliamTell
09-16-2013, 08:03 AM
If she was black people would start in on that, if she was Asian they would start in on that, if she was Hispanic they would start on that...that's why over time I've become very fond of the phrase..

Consider the source.

If a person can devote a large portion of their.day trying to belittle other people based on their skin color or heritage that says more about them than the other person. At some level they have to be very insecure and searching for their.own identity if they can focus.so hard on someone else's.

kelroy55
09-16-2013, 08:54 AM
Aerosmith.... If you can judge a wise man by the color of his skin then mister you're a better man than I

venture
09-16-2013, 11:31 AM
It's been somewhat entertaining watching these people make comments, media takes snap shots, and the people delete their twitter accounts. It is almost like people who delete their Facebook account to run from their comments. If you want to talk crap, then stand behind it. I don't get people. Of course their comments are recorded and it isn't like people can't track the statements down again.

At some point folks will start to feel the impacts of being an idiot when a company passes on them.

kevinpate
09-16-2013, 05:29 PM
Kudos to the finalists. I only caught a fair chunk of the talent segment (but I did really enjoy the nap which preceded catching the talent contest.
Was not certain if it was me still being a tad nap groggy or if it were them, but a lot of it seemed more force than presentation