View Full Version : 11 Foot 8

ljbab728
09-13-2013, 09:53 PM
I came across this by accident today and just couldn't stop watching.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=xzkWTcDZFH0

What's funny are the people who think if they go slow it will be OK.:o

MWCGuy
09-13-2013, 10:15 PM
I drove box trucks for a living for about 3 years during my retail days. If a bridge, over pass or tree looked low, you stopped and did a quick visual check or you simply paid attention to the signs. Just about every truck I drove had a reverse written sticker that stated the height of the truck in view of the side mirrors just remind you how tall the truck was. I made it a point not drive under anything near that height unless I had a helper to spot me. In truck driving, if you wreck you almost always fired or put on a few days leave without pay regardless of rather or not you were at fault.

RadicalModerate
09-13-2013, 10:25 PM
Music To Watch the Traffic-Cam By
(or, for grammar nazis, By Which to Watch the Traffic-Cam)

JjI7VeIA7ZI

lc4TnopiuzQ

SHhrZgojY1Q

(I knocked the exhaust stack off of a paving machine I was hauling on a float driving under a low bridge on NE 4th or 10th back in the '70s. Another time, I had to totally screw up traffic flow right downtown in order to avoid completely trashing a huge, rented, Terex front end loader that I was hauling on a low-boy under one of the old bridges into Bricktown before it was Bricktown. During PM rush hour . . .)

kelroy55
09-14-2013, 08:27 AM
Just like I used to tell my barber (when I had hair) A little off the top

BlackmoreRulz
09-14-2013, 08:39 AM
Stout bridge!

bandnerd
09-14-2013, 09:19 AM
Some of the YouTube comments are pretty great: "I should open up a truck repair shop right next to that." "Someone should stand on the bridge dressed as Gandalf yelling 'You shall not pass!'"

kevinpate
09-14-2013, 09:57 AM
We had a low trestle bridge in my home town in my younger days. It ate more than a few U-haul box trucks. Never one of mine. Mama and the nice ladies at Rodman Elementary taught her boys to read, add, subtract, all that useful sort of stuff. Well, three of the four anyway. One brother was apparently sneaking peeks at comics during math class.

ljbab728
08-21-2015, 10:54 PM
I found a new one today to add to this old thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqYgBQpB86E&feature=player_embedded

zookeeper
08-21-2015, 11:12 PM
A 10' 6" bridge is ridiculous. Where are flashing lights? "Warning: VERY LOW BRIDGE"

"We ran outside to make sure everyone was OK, because we knew it was a big one," Tracie Charland said.

The bridge is only 10 feet 6 inches high, and police have installed a video camera nearby to capture images of the numerous crashes.
"I have lived here my whole life, and at this point, we are just used to it," Stephanie Murphy said. "I mean, it's constant."
In 2014, 15 crashes were reported at the bridge, and it has even taken out a Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority bus.
- Notorious bridge in Westwood claims life of another box truck | Local News - WCVB Home (http://www.wcvb.com/news/notorious-bridge-in-westwood-claims-life-of-another-box-truck/34835850)

There's a lot of stories about this from Massachusetts media. Apparently, the so-called "warning signs" they have are laughable. Yet, they have money to put up cameras to catch the accidents and post it on YouTube for the internet rubberneckers.

ljbab728
08-21-2015, 11:57 PM
Works for me. LOL

But you can easily see the sign warning trucks to turn before the underpass. I agree, however, that they should at least be able to lower the street under that bridge a couple of feet. I can understand why the camera was installed and the cost of that is minimal to alterations that should be made.

Tritone
08-22-2015, 10:32 AM
Perhaps some people believe that rules and laws do not apply to them, perhaps because they were always told that they were special. Laws of nature, science, or reality know no favorites. Ten feet six inches means ten feet six inches, no matter who we are. Hard lesson for some.

Fortunately I never drove a truck under a bridge that was too low (or I guess a truck that was too high) but there was that time I was standing in the back of a pickup when we went under that awning/overhang/whatever the proper term. I didn't duck and my head still bears a scar. Perhaps I wasn't all that "special" after all.

kevinpate
08-22-2015, 11:57 AM
An elder brother once drove a uhaul truck on the one, and only one, street in our hometown where it was not a good idea. He had a terrible horrible no good very bad day as he realized once can not zoom through that underpass in a uhaul as though you were in your old fold stepside. The Uhaul truck had a far worse day.

bombermwc
08-22-2015, 12:29 PM
Why not just put up signs that say no trucks, rvs, etc....cars only? It's a major deal to do anything with rail (why is it rail is ALWAYS annoying) and lowering the road is FREAKING EXPENSIVE...note how close the cross streets are. Sometimes stupidity just wins though and no matter what you do, people do stupid things.

ljbab728
08-22-2015, 04:23 PM
Why not just put up signs that say no trucks, rvs, etc....cars only? It's a major deal to do anything with rail (why is it rail is ALWAYS annoying) and lowering the road is FREAKING EXPENSIVE...note how close the cross streets are. Sometimes stupidity just wins though and no matter what you do, people do stupid things.

Actually there is a sign telling trucks to turn before they reach the underpass. It probably could be more prominent though.

Mel
08-22-2015, 05:46 PM
You can't fix stupid - Ron White.

Tritone
08-22-2015, 06:27 PM
That pretty much sums it up!

Dustin
08-22-2015, 07:26 PM
"Can he fool the bridge by going very slowly??" LOL

It's a bold move, Cotton. Let's see if it pays off for him!

rezman
08-22-2015, 08:31 PM
Reminds me of a similar incident in the late 90's when a delivery truck driver on his first day on the job drove his box truck into the monorail at the state fairgrounds in front of the grandstands, and brought one of the concrete beams down onto the cab of his truck. Poor guy never knew what hit him.

kevinpate
08-23-2015, 09:54 AM
... It's a bold move, Cotton. Let's see if it pays off for him!

Film at 8. :cool:

jerrywall
08-24-2015, 08:18 AM
I have some sympathy for the folks driving rented trucks, who aren't professional, and aren't used to taking high into consideration, but the professional drivers? Idiots.