View Full Version : The importance of proofreading

kevinpate
09-09-2013, 04:36 PM
I adore pizza. I truly do. It is one of my favorite foods.
I am a tad picky about my pizza. I rarely ever just order without a bit of thought.
And I rarely make a goof. Oh, to be sure, typos here and elsewhere galore.
But pizza? Nah, that's real important stuff.
Until last night apparently.

The moment I opened the box, I knew something was amiss.
The color was off, the aroma as well.
One bite in, and it hit me.

Who the heck could forget to put sauce on a pizza, especially one which, as normal, was ordered with extra sauce.

Turns out, I should have reviewed the box I clicked before I sent the order.
I did it to myself. And they, in turn, made exactly what I ordered.

My.own.danged.fault.

So laddies and lasses, let not this happen to you.
Proofread your orders.

Sigh. It could have been a great pizza, instead of mere fuel.

JamesFiend
09-09-2013, 07:53 PM
One time a few months ago we got home with a pizza from Mazzio's with no cheese. Just sauce and pepperoni. Possibly the worst pizza ever, not really sure how you forget what is arguably the most important part. Chalked it up to high school kids who just didn't take pride in their craft, we sure didn't order it way (extra cheese is pretty much mandatory in my book.) Our bad for not opening it up to check before we left I guess.

Order once, check twice.

boscorama
09-09-2013, 09:01 PM
It has been said that we do our finest proof reading immediately after clicking.

kevinpate
09-09-2013, 09:16 PM
It has been said that we do our finest proof reading immediately after clicking.

Ouch. Like they say, truth hurts. :)

RadicalModerate
09-09-2013, 09:20 PM
There was just a banner ad at the top of this page offering a service to:
"Check your writing for plagiarism and good grammar errors"
What, exactly, is a "good grammar error"?
Or a "good grammar error" for that matter?

"I'm thinking about changing banks."
"Why is that?"
"I'm with Citibank now."
"So?"
"Well . . . They don't know how to spell City . . ."
(plagiarized from Comedy Radio or somewheres else. Maybe somewheres in Italy.)

zookeeper
09-09-2013, 09:47 PM
Speaking of proofreading.... School misspells own name on yearbook cover | News OK (http://newsok.com/school-misspells-own-name-on-yearbook-cover/article/3880974)

RadicalModerate
09-09-2013, 10:04 PM
If you had ever been through Moorhead, MN, you would see why it would be easy for this to happen.
They are a bit weak in the "Peetza" department, too.
Sometimes they forget the crust.

Right next to Moorhead is the thriving metropolis of Dilworth.
It's famous for its pickles.

I wonder if the yearbook faculty advisor in Moorhead is related to the new director of The Pride at OU.

Jeepnokc
09-10-2013, 09:50 PM
Kevin.....was it pizza shuttle because they absolutely rock!!!! My daughter is in twister cheer in Norman which gives us the easy excuse to order shuttle for dinner at least once a month even though we live sw of will Rogers airport. ( fortunately...wife is ou grad like me and lived off shuttle also). I had their bacon cheeseburger pizza cold for breakfast this morning. With a cold glass of milk...best way to start morning short of a Bloody Mary.

kevinpate
09-11-2013, 06:21 AM
Nope, the shuttle is good though. Nice folks overall, especially over at the W Lindsey location. Elder son was a driver for them in the latter part of his HS years.
We order from shuttle and pjohns, and if we're picking up, we'll put JJ's back in the mix. JJ either doesn't deliver where I am, or they don't deliver at all anymore (can't recall which it is.)

My total lack of proofreading the order the other night was on a papajohns order. Pizza without sauce is edible but I can't give it high marks. I'll definitely be more careful at what I do and do not click with anything I order anywhere online after that little messup.

SoonerDave
09-11-2013, 07:58 AM
Who the heck could forget to put sauce on a pizza, especially one which, as normal, was ordered with extra sauce.

Turns out, I should have reviewed the box I clicked before I sent the order.
I did it to myself. And they, in turn, made exactly what I ordered.

Kevin, what did you actually put on the order that was misinterpreted? Would love to see it :)

RadicalModerate
09-11-2013, 08:27 AM
Maybe instead of "Extra Sauce" it came out "X the Sauce"?
Maybe not . . .

Just the facts
09-11-2013, 08:56 AM
This thread reminds me of the Lionel Hutz (lawyer on the Simpsons) business card. When Homer goes to see Lionel, he asks for payment in advance so Homer produces a card that reads:

Work on contingency
No money down

Lionel takes it and explains there was a grammatical error, and makes the corrections in red.

http://c.meh.cc/9007l.jpg

kevinpate
09-11-2013, 09:14 AM
Kevin, what did you actually put on the order that was misinterpreted? Would love to see it :)

Oh, no, they made exactly what I ordered.
I always use the drop box to check on the extra sauce option. Always.
Right below my regular option in the drop down list is a No Sauce option.
My hand slipped, and I did not notice my goof until after the pizza box was set on the stove and opened.
It just looked and smelled a bit off.
Only at the moment I bit into the driest bit of pizza I've ever had did it finally dawn on me there was no sauce.

I grumbled on what type of fool would make a pizza without sauce and went to look at my order confirmation before I called to grouse.
As it turned out, in this instance, I am that type of fool.

Can't fault the pj folk for making me what I ordered. But yeah, I'm hoping this bit of public shaming will help me never ever do that again.

kevinpate
09-11-2013, 09:19 AM
Have not seen Simpsons is eons, but dang it, that was funny JTF

bluedogok
09-11-2013, 08:21 PM
Been awhile since I have had Papa John's, we went to The Mellow Mushroom (http://mellowmushroom.com/) last night in Lone Tree, it was good. Never tried the one in Austin on The Drag across from the campus.

RadicalModerate
09-11-2013, 08:59 PM
I wish I had a chance to mess up an order at this place . . .
(best pizza I ever ate. even a "screw up" would be a little slice of heaven . . .)
Element Pizza | Minneapolis, MN 55413 (http://www.elementpizza.com/)

Laramie
09-17-2013, 07:47 PM
Never will I forget the time I dropped some clothes off to a 24 hour laundry & cleaners downtown (need not name). I gave them instructions to clean and press (pinned it to the clothes). Somehow they left off the word clean when they transferred it to the invoice. They pressed the dirt into my white trousers. LMAO!

When I picked them up I'm glad I didn't say what I was thinking--definitely would have served some time in the county jail. That set me back an hour and I had to go to a clothing store and buy a brand new pair of trousers before attending the conference. That was an experience I never forgot.