View Full Version : Tokyo Wins 2020 Olympics

Plutonic Panda
09-07-2013, 04:25 PM
''The 2020 Olympic Games will be held in Tokyo, the International Olympic Committee announced Saturday.

Istanbul and Tokyo were the final two competitors for the honor. Madrid was eliminated in the first round of balloting. Madrid and Istanbul were tied in the initial balloting, but a runoff vote gave that edge to Istanbul 49-45. Tokyo had outpolled both of them in the initial round of International Olympic Committee voting, which took place in Buenos Aires, Argentina.

Both Istanbul and Tokyo offered notable steps forward for the Olympic experience. Istanbul would be the first time that a primarily Muslim country would host the Olympics, while Tokyo would be the first Asian city to host it twice. Tokyo last hosted the Games in 1964.

Madrid had attempted three straight times to win the Games, but failed yet again despite a pitch for a "sensible, reliable and trustworthy" Olympics. Madrid officials noted that 80 percent of facilities which would have been used for the Games were already built and in use.''

- Y! SPORTS (http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/olympics-fourth-place-medal/tokyo-host-2020-olympic-games-202104846--oly.html)

kelroy55
09-09-2013, 08:51 AM
I would think the security concerns having them in Istanbul would be too great.

OKCisOK4me
09-09-2013, 09:11 AM
Thank God...cause Tulsa doesn't even compare to Tokyo...

Snowman
09-09-2013, 12:51 PM
Thank God...cause Tulsa doesn't even compare to Tokyo...

The effort to get it in Tulsa was for 2024

warreng88
09-09-2013, 01:04 PM
The effort to get it in Tulsa was for 2024

Yeah and that is gone now. I have read that Dallas, Boston and DC have the best chances of getting awarded the olympics due to their existing facilities. Dallas would be cool and I think OKC could get some run off from it if it is awarded to them. I could see people flying in here and then driving down instead of flying directly into DFW to save money.

Dustin
09-09-2013, 01:31 PM
The opening cerimony is going to be amazing! The Asian countries know how to put on a show!

venture
09-09-2013, 01:51 PM
Yeah and that is gone now.

Ehh...technically it is still there. The City distanced themselves from the Tulsa 2024 OEC after a bunch of negative press. They are still trying to put the bid together as a private entity, but would need city approval before submitting it. Doubt it'll ever happen.

The 2024 bid process doesn't start until 2015.

Dubai and the joint San Diego/Tijuana bids have been cancelled so far. San Diego will bid on its own. In review the other cities submitting are Philly, Dallas, LA, DC, and Boston.

bluedogok
09-09-2013, 08:20 PM
There is a group here talking about a Winter Olympics bid for Denver, can't remember what year they are talking about.

BG918
09-09-2013, 08:37 PM
There is a group here talking about a Winter Olympics bid for Denver, can't remember what year they are talking about.

I think it is after 2030. Salt Lake City also wants to host it again. I don't know how much support there would be in Denver and the mountain towns for a Winter Olympics. It is the only city to ever vote down an Olympics after being awarded them in 1976..