View Full Version : New Corvette

kelroy55
09-06-2013, 08:54 AM
I work at GM down here and they (somebody) brought over the brand new Corvette for us to see. It's a sweet car for sure and I would give my 1st born to have that car but since they are all over 21 they wouldn't go for it. *lol*

Dubya61
09-06-2013, 10:29 AM
Really like the change, too. Heard Ford is updating the Mustang this year, too. Not putting in the same class as the Corvette, but I can see that GM got it right with the Corvette.

kelroy55
09-06-2013, 12:19 PM
Now if they could just get it down to my price range... I could afford the seat *lol*

stratosphere
09-06-2013, 04:26 PM
Where is it that your work?

MustangGT
09-06-2013, 06:14 PM
A buddy of min has owned Vettes for 4 decades and was invited about 10 years ago to be on a GM owners advisory committee. He always bought a Vette in even numbered years. Much to my surprise he is passing on this one and will wait for the 2016.

RadicalModerate
09-06-2013, 06:21 PM
As far as I'm concerned, The Corvette reached the apex of its body design in 1961.

http://www.corvetteblogger.com/images/content/090208_2.jpg

I seem to recall that this was a year or two before the Sting Ray.
(but i was only nine or ten years old at the time so i could be wrong.)

ThomPaine
09-06-2013, 06:28 PM
1967 was my favorite model, but hew one looks pretty fine.

RadicalModerate
09-06-2013, 07:08 PM

"The hew one . . ." hmmmm . . .
On account of I haven't yet seen any pitchures, i have to ask: Have they re-introduced some wood on the side panels?
(sorry. really. well . . . sorta.)

"I got a really new Corvette and we call it a 'Woodie'
"Surf City here we come . . ."
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mataiysQus1qa944oo1_1280.jpg
Everything behind the front seats is batteries because it's Electric!
Or is that eclectic?
AnywayZ . . .
To atone for the "loss" of trees involved in the production of this fine motor vehicle,
we incorporated a wind turbine into the hood ornament and solar cells into the white-wall tires!
But wait! There's more!
See that chrome? Tesla Magnetic Earth Energy Converters.
Yes. You heard it rite.

Mel
09-06-2013, 08:03 PM

I had a friend back then who's older brother had a '67 Stringray in blue. One of my "If I Ever Win The Lottery" cars.

RadicalModerate
09-06-2013, 08:13 PM
I got to take a brief ride in [maybe a '67(?)] 'Vette one time when I was hitchhiking down to the library or whatnot.
The main thing I remember was that it rode like a tank at about 35 mph. I guess that's so you could feel the road and corner at high speed.

In reality, my own '60 model VW bug (with the totally functional forced air valve heater between the front seats and the non-functional european semaphore turnsignals) had a smoother ride. =)

Don't confuse any of that with sour grapes. =)

Mel
09-06-2013, 08:27 PM
I had a bug, can't remember the year, but it was from Germany. Had shortwave on the radio.

RadicalModerate
09-06-2013, 08:44 PM
I had a bug, can't remember the year, but it was from Germany. Had shortwave on the radio.

Hopefully, it was equipped with a little video screen just below the rear view mirror or on the back of the driver's flip-down sun visor providing subtitles so's you could know what they were saying on the shortwave radio . . .

My '60 model had a back-up warning system that consisted of a very human-like holler or shout, followed by some cursing and maybe some pounding on the rear engine cover . . .

bluedogok
09-06-2013, 08:45 PM
I would love a 67 small block convertible.

I still am on the fence about the C7, I like some of it and some things I just don't like from the pictures that I have seen. Just like the Camaro, there are just some things I don't like about the looks, I think the Challenger is the best looking of the retro muscle cars and I do like the current Mustang.

I have been looking at used C6's as a replacement for my BMW Z4. Still not sure if I am going to get a coupe or convertible, probably depends on what I find and the deal. The "deal" is why I have the Z4 right now, I was looking at C5's but really wanted a C6 but they were more than I wanted to spend. Ran across a 2003 Z4 with 45,000 miles on it, bought it for $15,400 (bought in 2009) when the C5's were 22-28K. I have put 43,000 miles on the Z4 in 4 years and book value on the car is between 10-12K even with the mileage. I am just ready for a Vette now that the C6's are getting into the area of what I am willing to spend.

ThomPaine
09-06-2013, 10:01 PM
I like this silver color... (Better than the woodie look.)

Jeepnokc
09-06-2013, 10:05 PM
anything pre 1973...preferably rag top but a split window is cool also

boscorama
09-06-2013, 10:23 PM
I rode in a Corvette once, north on I-35 on the console between two dudes; a convertible on a summer night in 1969. No traffic. Groovy.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
09-06-2013, 11:25 PM
I've driven every iteration of the Corvette, including the new C7 (was invited to a press thing due to a site I admin on). And it's the best yet. It's a world class piece of gear at a bargain price (relative to it's peers). Not taking anything away from the previous generations...But the new one is a home run in my opinion.

I can't wait to see what they do with the Z06/ZR1 C7's.

bluedogok
09-07-2013, 07:31 AM
I'm sure it is an improvement in every technical aspect just like every iteration starting with the C4 was an improvement, one reason why I wanted a C6 over a C5. At this point I am not going to spend that kind of money on a C7 (or any other car) and since I have only seen pics I haven't been won over by the styling, of course in person it may be a different story....still wouldn't buy one since my car budget doesn't go that high. Need to start building a SpecE36 or Spec Miata, that is where I intend to put the difference.

kelroy55
09-07-2013, 10:08 AM
Where is it that your work?

I work at GM in Arlington

kelroy55
09-07-2013, 10:11 AM

stratosphere
09-07-2013, 11:04 AM
I work at GM in Arlington

Thanks...awesome pics by the way. Did you get to sit in it? I still have yet to see one in person though I know it wont be long. On my second vette now, first was a C5, current is a C6.

stratosphere
09-07-2013, 11:05 AM
I like this silver color... (Better than the woodie look.)

That's actually called cyber gray metallic, its a very popular color and the same color as my C6, also used on the Camaro for a couple of years before they switched to 'ashen gray'. Look at it in the sunlight and you will see blue metallic flakes in the paint, very cool.

stratosphere
09-07-2013, 11:08 AM
I've driven every iteration of the Corvette, including the new C7 (was invited to a press thing due to a site I admin on). And it's the best yet. It's a world class piece of gear at a bargain price (relative to it's peers). Not taking anything away from the previous generations...But the new one is a home run in my opinion.

I can't wait to see what they do with the Z06/ZR1 C7's.

Im jealous! What are your thoughts on the way the C7 drives vs the C6, other than what you've already stated?

*Rumor* has it the Z06 (or Z07, if that's what they decide to call it) would be a twin turbo V8. But again, only a rumor at this point.

kelroy55
09-07-2013, 12:00 PM
Thanks...awesome pics by the way. Did you get to sit in it? I still have yet to see one in person though I know it wont be long. On my second vette now, first was a C5, current is a C6.

Yes I did and it was pretty comfortable. I wqas going to borrow it for the weekend but they didn't like that idea. lol

stratosphere
09-07-2013, 01:52 PM
:Smiley051

Bunty
09-07-2013, 04:43 PM
As far as I'm concerned, The Corvette reached the apex of its body design in 1961.

http://www.corvetteblogger.com/images/content/090208_2.jpg

I seem to recall that this was a year or two before the Sting Ray.
(but i was only nine or ten years old at the time so i could be wrong.)
I can believe it. I saw a red one just like it today at the Stillwater downtown car show. It was quite a standout beauty. If I had my camera with me, I would have taken a picture of it.

bluedogok
09-07-2013, 05:50 PM
The Stingray was the 63-67 "mid-year" model, still my favorite body style. My wife would like a red/white 57, she prefers the dual headlights over the quad setup.

ctchandler
09-07-2013, 07:46 PM
My personal favorite is the 1957 model. A friend raced one (semi pro) for about a year and it was a fast thing of beauty. Off topic of course, I really like the new Corvette from the pictures I have seen on this thread.
C. T.

RadicalModerate
09-07-2013, 11:43 PM
The new 'Vette looks so futuristic it should have been in the original version of "Tron"
(ok . . . i admit it . . . it's one of the most beautiful vehicles i've ever seen . . . at least since '61 =)

(remake of old joke/interchangable situational metaphor, for possible use by Chevy Salestaff):
"Dang . . . He looks as nervous as Steve Irwin at a Stingray Convention."
(so tell me again just what it is you "have to think about" before we put you behind the wheel of this SuperCar . . .)

Oh GAWD the Smell!
09-08-2013, 06:48 AM
I'm sure it is an improvement in every technical aspect just like every iteration starting with the C4 was an improvement, one reason why I wanted a C6 over a C5. At this point I am not going to spend that kind of money on a C7 (or any other car) and since I have only seen pics I haven't been won over by the styling, of course in person it may be a different story....still wouldn't buy one since my car budget doesn't go that high. Need to start building a SpecE36 or Spec Miata, that is where I intend to put the difference.

Much cheaper to buy a spec Miata than to build one. One of the few times I'd ever say that...But it is what it is. If I wanted a spec Miata...I'd buy it already built. And heck...They're so cheap (I have TONS more money in just parts on my GTO than what a great trackday Miata would cost) I've thought about buying one just because. Wife keeps shooting me down though. She doesn't think men should have Miatas :wink:

Im jealous! What are your thoughts on the way the C7 drives vs the C6, other than what you've already stated?

*Rumor* has it the Z06 (or Z07, if that's what they decide to call it) would be a twin turbo V8. But again, only a rumor at this point.

Not sure how to describe it. I don't review cars :D

It's better than the C6 in just about every butt-measurable way. And the C6 is a fantastic car, so that's saying something. I should say that I've only driven a single stock C6 Corvette though. And it was the older (LS2) version. All the other C6's I've driven have been modded...Or Z06's. Or modded Z06's :D

/Got to drive a 900hp twin turbo Z06 in Dallas a couple of years ago, that was a heckuva car

I'll eat my shoe if Chevrolet puts a twin turbo on a Vette. Supercharging is much simpler and cheaper in my opinion.

CaptDave
09-09-2013, 07:32 AM
Wow - that thing looks like what the child of a 575 Maranello and CTS-V would look like. Hopefully the quality control of the interior bits and the quality of the interior materials have been upgraded to match the price. Mechanically, the C6 and beyond have been excellent but cost savings were obviously a factor with the interior. If that has been corrected, that should elevate the Corvette into a truly world class sports car. Even with a "standard" 400+ bhp engine, if you throw on some of the GM chassis set-ups with the magnetic shocks and some carbon brakes, that thing should compare favorably against most any sports car.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
09-09-2013, 07:45 AM
The interior is spectacular. The customization you can do with the gauge cluster alone is amazing.

And it's coming in base form with 455 horsepower. It scoots.

stratosphere
09-11-2013, 02:09 PM
Not sure how to describe it. I don't review cars :D

It's better than the C6 in just about every butt-measurable way. And the C6 is a fantastic car, so that's saying something. I should say that I've only driven a single stock C6 Corvette though. And it was the older (LS2) version. All the other C6's I've driven have been modded...Or Z06's. Or modded Z06's :D

/Got to drive a 900hp twin turbo Z06 in Dallas a couple of years ago, that was a heckuva car

I'll eat my shoe if Chevrolet puts a twin turbo on a Vette. Supercharging is much simpler and cheaper in my opinion.

I don't want you to have to eat your shoe :hungry:

Someone has apparently spotted a pair of Z07 mules in the wild in AZ
not much details but cool to read

Spy Pictures - Corvette Forum (http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-general-discussion/3338449-spy-pictures.html)

rayvaflav
07-03-2022, 03:49 PM
There are still a few older Corvettes around town. Spotted at the Edmond Farmer's Market Saturday morning. 17543

OKCRealtor
07-03-2022, 03:56 PM
I thought this thread was on the C8 at first :doh:

Anyone on here got one?

Brett
07-03-2022, 08:42 PM
I wasn't a fan when then tail lights of Corvettes were changed from round to trapezoidal but I still would call it a Corvette. Now the C8 is cool and all but I refuse to call it a Corvette. I call it a 21st century Corvair.