View Full Version : Moore War

Pages : [1] 2

MonkeesFan
09-05-2013, 06:43 PM
So will Moore finally snap Westmoore's 12 game winning streak against the Lions or will Westmoore's winning streak continue?

I say Westmoore's winning streak continues

My predication:

Moore-3
Westmoore-35

Go Westmoore!

Mel
09-05-2013, 07:01 PM
I have to shout out for my old team so Go Moore!

Garin
09-05-2013, 07:39 PM
Moore is teruuuuuble

SoonerDave
09-05-2013, 07:59 PM
Insider report from someone I trust and deem very credible on football matters (particularly HS) indicates that Moore is improved this year, but Westmoore is still a prohibitive favorite to make it 13 in a row.

bhawes
09-05-2013, 08:15 PM
What about the newest school Southmoore.

Zuplar
09-05-2013, 09:25 PM
Westmoore continues its' streak.

Roger S
09-06-2013, 06:31 AM
I'll be there pulling for the Lions since my friends son is their starting MLB but it's going to take a perfect game from the Lions to break the streak.

MonkeesFan
09-06-2013, 12:07 PM
Can anyone let me know the final score tonight since I will be at work?

MonkeesFan
09-06-2013, 08:57 PM
The game should be over now so who won?

MonkeesFan
09-06-2013, 09:10 PM
Never mind, I just saw the score:

Moore-6
Westmoore-37

It is a shame that the Lions are not even completive the past year and today but I am enjoying the 13 winning streak though!

Zuplar
09-06-2013, 09:22 PM
That was a dismantling. You almost feel bad. Almost.

bhawes
09-06-2013, 09:23 PM
Never mind, I just saw the score:

Moore-6
Westmoore-37

It is a shame that the Lions are not even completive the past year and today but I am enjoying the 13 winning streak though!

SouthMoore will beat Moore and WestMoore.

MonkeesFan
09-06-2013, 10:44 PM
That was a dismantling. You almost feel bad. Almost.

Last year was worse

Moore-14
Westmoore-62

Now that is a dismantling!

Mel
09-07-2013, 12:59 AM
I miss the days where Norman was the Interstate rival. I think The Coach's name was Wolf when I played. I will always pull for old Moore. You oughta dance with the one that brung ya.;)

kevinpate
09-07-2013, 02:48 AM
I miss the days where Norman was the Interstate rival. I think The Coach's name was Wolf when I played. I will always pull for old Moore. You oughta dance with the one that brung ya.;)

Or sit and sip Ensure with them if they can no longer dance.

SoonerDave
09-07-2013, 09:22 AM

Hard to say. Watched quite a bit of Southmoore against Carl Albert and while they're good, I wouldn't say they're an obvious favorite over Westmoore. They should, however, handle Moore. Westmoore's offense took a little time to get untracked, but they've got a good offensive line that should reliably open up holes for Hardrick.

I watched the Moore War from the sidelines, and while Moore has better athletes overall than they've had recently, they're just not yet up to par on conditioning or even completely comfortable with their offense yet. Lots of really basic mistakes, and fatigue became apparent as early as the 2nd quarter - esp on defense. Their starting QB went down late third quarter, and he was virtually all their offense in what's primarily a zone-read scheme. When they lost him, they really had nothing else left to fall back on, unfortunately. I don't know what it will take to get Moore regularly competitive again on a regular basis. Heard they were having troubles within their parent support organization, divisions, whatever, and if you don't have all that stuff going, its very hard to be successful.

I've got a gallery of photos I took at MooreWar last night, so if anyone's interested, feel free to take a look. Folks with an eye on prep talent in OK need to look long and hard at Westmoore wideout Dahu Green (#18). He's a sophomore (I believe), has a tremendous amount of natural talent - great height, and can outjump just about any defender for a ball thrown near him. Made some great catches I was able to snag on photos, and I have to believe he's going to draw a lot of attention in the month's ahead. Potential big-time talent. Keiron Hardrick had a great night for Westmoore as well.

Pics can be seen here: Westmoore 37 Moore 6 - jagfootballphotos' Photos (http://jagfootballphotos.smugmug.com/2013Season/Westmoore-37-Moore-6/31709646_MDP6tz)

Here's one of three pretty spectacular catches by Dahu Green:4363

SOONER8693
09-07-2013, 09:56 AM
Hard to say. Watched quite a bit of Southmoore against Carl Albert and while they're good, I wouldn't say they're an obvious favorite over Westmoore. They should, however, handle Moore. Westmoore's offense took a little time to get untracked, but they've got a good offensive line that should reliably open up holes for Hardrick.

I watched the Moore War from the sidelines, and while Moore has better athletes overall than they've had recently, they're just not yet up to par on conditioning or even completely comfortable with their offense yet. Lots of really basic mistakes, and fatigue became apparent as early as the 2nd quarter - esp on defense. Their starting QB went down late third quarter, and he was virtually all their offense in what's primarily a zone-read scheme. When they lost him, they really had nothing else left to fall back on, unfortunately. I don't know what it will take to get Moore regularly competitive again on a regular basis. Heard they were having troubles within their parent support organization, divisions, whatever, and if you don't have all that stuff going, its very hard to be successful.

I've got a gallery of photos I took at MooreWar last night, so if anyone's interested, feel free to take a look. Folks with an eye on prep talent in OK need to look long and hard at Westmoore wideout Dahu Green (#18). He's a sophomore (I believe), has a tremendous amount of natural talent - great height, and can outjump just about any defender for a ball thrown near him. Made some great catches I was able to snag on photos, and I have to believe he's going to draw a lot of attention in the month's ahead. Potential big-time talent. Keiron Hardrick had a great night for Westmoore as well.

Pics can be seen here: Westmoore 37 Moore 6 - jagfootballphotos' Photos (http://jagfootballphotos.smugmug.com/2013Season/Westmoore-37-Moore-6/31709646_MDP6tz)

Here's one of three pretty spectacular catches by Dahu Green:4363Southmoore, the cheater school will continue to beat both Moore and Westmoore as long as they openly recruit the athletes from both of those schools and the gutless Moore administration allows it to happen. The Moore program is embarassing and it will have a very difficult time improving as long as their best players go over to southmoore. The migration has been slowed and hopefully halted out of Westmoore, although, that is where the majority of southmoore's strength originally was stolen from. Add the players that southmoore is getting from other school around the state with their recruiting tactics and they should be pretty damned good. Their qb this year is a "move in" and their stud wide receiver should be at Moore, among others at southmoore. Rumor is that Moore will likely be getting a new principal in the next couple of years, and some of the possible candidates will be requesting the district admin addresses this issue before they, candidates, will consider the position. It, the recruiting, was slowed a little when the OSSAA looked into it and slapped Southmoore's hand, but, it's back to full bore now. It's like Johnny football, he got away with all he's done, so why stop. Someone needs to check and see how many of Southmoore's "move ins" are living in the "athletic dorm", there off of 19th and Santa Fe. Oklahoma high school football needs a strong program at Moore high again, but, the way things are now, it will be a long, difficult road.

Zuplar
09-07-2013, 11:39 AM
I will be so happy if Westmoore beats Southmoore. If not for the simple reason they have a dumb mascot.

SoonerDave
09-07-2013, 12:53 PM
Southmoore, the cheater school will continue to beat both Moore and Westmoore ....

Westmoore beat Southmore as recently as 2011. And a missed extra point in OT kept them from making it two in a row last year.

So whatever issues off-field are at hand, the notion that there is some drastic difference in talent level between the schools is not reflected on the field in recent years. No question Moore was hurt by Southmoore, and I've certainly heard the stories about recruiting, but from what I can see Westmoore seems to be holding its own.

MonkeesFan
09-07-2013, 12:55 PM
Hopefully Westmoore can defeat SouthMoore next week, it will be tough but I think Westmoore can do it!

SOONER8693
09-07-2013, 01:10 PM
Westmoore beat Southmore as recently as 2011. And a missed extra point in OT kept them from making it two in a row last year.

So whatever issues off-field are at hand, the notion that there is some drastic difference in talent level between the schools is not reflected on the field in recent years. No question Moore was hurt by Southmoore, and I've certainly heard the stories about recruiting, but from what I can see Westmoore seems to be holding its own.
As I said, the migration out of Westmoore has hopefully been shut off. Westmoore will beat Southmoore occassionally, including this year I hope. But, it is hard to compete on a regular basis when that crap is unabated from other sources.

Zuplar
09-13-2013, 08:38 PM
Hopefully Westmoore can defeat SouthMoore next week, it will be tough but I think Westmoore can do it!

Jags stomp the Cats. 31-13.

SoonerDave
09-13-2013, 11:49 PM
Westmoore capitalized on a critical late first-half muffed punt to push a 14-0 lead to 21-0 just before halftime, en route to a 31-13 win over Southmoore at Moore Stadium on Friday Night.

Dahu Green caught two touchdown passes, Keiron Hardrick ran for another, and Desean Lookout snagged one of his own on a seam-splitting 80-yard catch and run from QB Bryson Lee to open the fourth quarter. Lookout's cross-country jaunt came just after after Southmoore had closed to 21-7 late in the third. The Sabercats put together an impressive 98-yard drive midway through the fourth quarter to close the gap to 28-13, but a 44-yard FG by Austin Dodd put the game out of reach for the Jaguars with just under three minutes to play. The win, coupled with last week's Moore War win, gives the Jaguars the Moore district's "City Champs" title.

Great win for Westmoore. They simply would not let Southmoore back in the game....

SoonerDave
09-14-2013, 12:31 AM
Photos from tonight's game are online at Westmoore 31 Southmoore 13 - jagfootballphotos' Photos (http://jagfootballphotos.smugmug.com/2013Season/Westmoore-31-Southmoore-13/31860913_XVv3Z8)

Zuplar
09-14-2013, 03:15 PM
Thanks for linking the pics. So glad Westmoore won. They deserve it.

bluedogok
09-14-2013, 06:47 PM
Enjoy it, I miss the days when PC-PC West was a big game.

MonkeesFan
09-16-2013, 10:10 AM
That is sweet they won against SouthMoore and won the City Champs title! Very happy! :D

MonkeesFan
09-16-2013, 10:18 AM
Photos from tonight's game are online at Westmoore 31 Southmoore 13 - jagfootballphotos' Photos (http://jagfootballphotos.smugmug.com/2013Season/Westmoore-31-Southmoore-13/31860913_XVv3Z8)

Great pictures and the 2 plaques are very nice! What will they they do with the plaques?

SOONER8693
09-16-2013, 10:42 AM
Thanks for posting the pics. Those are superb. As I noted before, I think the recruitment of players from Westmoore has slowed, apparently not completely shut off, by Southmoore. At one time in the 2nd half, 8 of the 11 players on the field for Southmoore were Moore High and Westmoore kids.

MonkeesFan
09-16-2013, 10:56 AM

You were saying? :p

SoonerDave
09-16-2013, 11:28 AM
Great pictures and the 2 plaques are very nice! What will they they do with the plaques?

Thanks!

I'm not sure what they plan to do with the plaques. I thought that clear/etched rivalry trophy was awesome. I think the wooden plaques are on display at the then-winning school, but I won't swear to that.

Thanks for posting the pics. Those are superb. As I noted before, I think the recruitment of players from Westmoore has slowed, apparently not completely shut off, by Southmoore. At one time in the 2nd half, 8 of the 11 players on the field for Southmoore were Moore High and Westmoore kids.

Thanks for the kind words on the pics!!!!

SoonerDave
10-05-2013, 12:38 PM
Hey, folks, since there was some Westmoore interest here, I thought I'd post another gallery of pictures I took from last night's 48-7 thumping of Muskogee.

Of special interest are some pics of *great* catches from an emerging star on the Jaguar offense in wideout Dahu Green. This kid is only a junior but is already clearly exhibiting D1 caliber receiving talent. The kid has a natural height advantage over just about every corner that matches up with him, plus great natural skill and timing with soft hands and the ability darned near catch anything near him. He's a tremendous talent. Enjoy the pics.

Westmoore 48 Muskogee 6 - jagfootballphotos' Photos (http://jagfootballphotos.smugmug.com/2013Season/Westmoore-48-Muskogee-6/32305985_8HKVZs)

Zuplar
10-05-2013, 05:36 PM
Nice pics. WHS is doing well so far. Hopefully they keep it up.

MonkeesFan
10-05-2013, 11:06 PM
Hey, folks, since there was some Westmoore interest here, I thought I'd post another gallery of pictures I took from last night's 48-7 thumping of Muskogee.

Of special interest are some pics of *great* catches from an emerging star on the Jaguar offense in wideout Dahu Green. This kid is only a junior but is already clearly exhibiting D1 caliber receiving talent. The kid has a natural height advantage over just about every corner that matches up with him, plus great natural skill and timing with soft hands and the ability darned near catch anything near him. He's a tremendous talent. Enjoy the pics.

Westmoore 48 Muskogee 6 - jagfootballphotos' Photos (http://jagfootballphotos.smugmug.com/2013Season/Westmoore-48-Muskogee-6/32305985_8HKVZs)

Keep the pictures coming! I do not like Westmoore's uniforms but I do love the helmets though

Zuplar
10-06-2013, 04:03 PM
Keep the pictures coming! I do not like Westmoore's uniforms but I do love the helmets though

See I kind of don't like the helmets. What happened to the old helmets with the red W?

MonkeesFan
10-06-2013, 05:07 PM
See I kind of don't like the helmets. What happened to the old helmets with the red W?

What is wrong with the helmets?

SoonerDave
10-07-2013, 07:02 AM

The alternative home red jerseys were new this year. They bought entirely new uniforms for last season as what they'd been using had gone through (several) prior seasons and were simply worn out. Problem was the new jerseys didn't hold up nearly as well even after a single season, so they opted for an this additional style. Apparently, when they introduced them to the players at the beginning of the season, they went bonkers over 'em. Loved em.

Not sure about the helmets, except the newer ones have the matte finish and the logo is just a label applied to them, and again, the other helmets were getting old and worn. Think most folks might be surprised how much maintenance goes into those things...

Zuplar
10-07-2013, 07:23 AM
What is wrong with the helmets?

I feel like the black W just blends in. The old red W looks better IMO.

MonkeesFan
10-12-2013, 04:05 AM
What I did not notice is that I was only 5 points off my score predication from Moore War, that is pretty good!

Zuplar
10-12-2013, 07:40 AM
Westmoore 6-0. Jenks is up next. That's going to be a tough game.

SoonerDave
10-12-2013, 09:58 AM
For whomever might be interested, here's a link to my photo gallery for the Westmoore-PC game last night:

Westmoore 16 Putnam City 14 - jagfootballphotos' Photos (http://jagfootballphotos.smugmug.com/2013Season/Westmoore-16-Putnam-City-14/32490171_Wb87zs)

Not nearly as many offensive highlights, obviously, in a 16-14 game, but lots of got-em-when-you-needed-em defensive plays. Westmoore bent but didn't break defensively; PC had the ball and was driving with under two minutes to play, moving for what would have been a shot at a game-winning field goal, but back-to-back plays for loss by the Westmoore defense sealed the deal. A last-second desperation pass on the game's final play was intercepted.

PC played a pretty basic, I-formation power run game at Westmoore, and it had some success - running inside/underneath the aggressive edge pursuit. Think Westmoore may run the aggressive edge pressure to compensate at least some for a smaller defensive interior, so it has risks. That may prove a bigger problem against Jenks. When Westmoore was able to force PC in to throwing the ball, that's where the pressure paid off into sacks, incompletions, and plays for loss.

Last night was much more of a struggle for the Westmoore offense than I think anyone might have expected. They moved the ball almost at will on their first three drives, but unforced errors limited them to only ten points. Bryson Lee tossed three picks, one off a deflection, but the other two were just not very good throws. The last pick was thrown into the endzone from inside the PC 10-yard line, and a score there would likely have sealed the game. For whatever reason, PC seems to be a thorn in Westmoore's side - beating them in Moore last year, and nearly pulling off the upset last night. Bottom line, however, is that Westmoore overcame their offensive problems and came away with the 16-14 win. On to Jenks!!

MonkeesFan
10-12-2013, 11:56 AM
Their uniforms is not that much better

MonkeesFan
10-18-2013, 09:38 PM
Westmoore lost 24-0, not very surprising

Zuplar
10-19-2013, 08:38 PM
Would have been nice to beat them. Still have BA, but they may be able to win that one.

SOONER8693
10-20-2013, 02:32 AM
Westmoore lost 24-0, not very surprising
Westmoore was absolutely manhandled at the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. Jenks 3 man front on D looked like college size guys.

MonkeesFan
10-20-2013, 06:15 AM
Westmoore was absolutely manhandled at the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. Jenks 3 man front on D looked like college size guys.

Yup

MonkeesFan
10-20-2013, 06:15 AM
Would have been nice to beat them. Still have BA, but they may be able to win that one.

It would be nice to defeat Broken Arrow indeed but it would be tough

SoonerDave
10-26-2013, 08:18 PM
Sorry not to have tossed in some on this thread since the Jenks game, so in the interest of keeping it going....

First, Jenks was a really, really frustrating loss for Westmoore. I think they believed as much as anyone they had a legit shot going in, but Jenks was too incredibly physical on both sides of the ball.

Westmoore had a golden opportunity early in that game to cash in a punt snap that sailed way over the head of the Jenks kicker, but did zilch in four plays.

That was a trend.

While I won't pretend it would have made the difference in the game, I will say the frustration was multiplied ten-fold by the ugly cold temps and steady rain that fell the entire first half. It made probably a quarter to a third of the Westmoore playbook unusable. If Westmoore could have scored on that first drive, kept the game close, it might have given them at least a shot to keep it close and have a chance to win late. Heck, even as dominant as Jenks was, they were only up 10-0 at halftime. Still manageable. But the Westmoore offense lost something like ten yards on its first play of the third quarter, went on to punt, and it was apparent they just couldn't keep up with Jenks' DL and edge pursuit. It was really amazing.

With that loss behind them, Westmoore went up to Sapulpa last night and had a WHALE of a ballgame.

QB Bryson Lee was out with a concussion sustained at the end of the Jenks game, so Devin Navarro came in, and it took him at least a quarter to just settle in and let the game come to him a bit. The Westmoore offense didn't get a first down until midway through the second quarter.

With Sapulpa up 10-0, Westmoore's defense got pressure on Sapulpa's QB, forced a grounding call, and took a punt at their 40. Westmoore scored, on a busted-play run up the middle by Navarro, but missed a 2-pt PAT, went into the half down 10-6. They then scored on a 20-yard run by Kieron Hardrick on their first drive of the third quarter, going up 13-10. Sapulpa, with a really nice power-I offense and a really impressive (and frustrating!!) pass-run QB got the score right back, going up 17-13.

Sapulpa later added a field goal to go up 20-13, and Westmoore turned the ball over twice on picks that seemed to doom them until their final drive with 2:02 left in the game. Navarro led the Jags on a drive that finished with a 10-yard TD pass to Colin Morris with only 34 seconds in the game. Overtime, right?

Maybe not.

Westmoore allowed Sapulpa to return the ensuing kickoff over 60 yards to the Westmoore 35. With barely 6 seconds left, Sapulpa throws short of the first down - in play - but the clock stopped for no reason as soon as the receiver's knee hit the turf. Its arguable whether Sapulpa's coach could possibly have seen the play, gotten to the ref, and gotten the timeout called in the 3.4 seconds that were left - but a friendly clock operator prevailed. So Sapulpa sets up for a game-winning FG - which Westmoore blocks. Overtime, right?

Nope.

Officials call Westmoore for offsides, and give the home team another shot. Westmoore breaks through, blocks the kick again, and picks up the loose ball and runs downfield for a touchdown, seemingly winning the game in regulation for Westmoore, right?

Nope.

Officials then decide there was an "inadvertent whistle" that blew the play dead as Westmoore picked up the ball and ran with it.

No touchdown.

I can hear the ref explaining to Jags coach Billy Langford "You're absolutely right, its a free ball, but there was this inadvertent whistle.." The Westmoore crowd (which was pretty darned respectable) goes berzerk. Refs conference for several minutes - but - to no one's real surprise - home team gets the break - no TD is the final ruling.

Overtime - Sapulpa drives to the Westmoore 3, but is stuffed at the 1 on 3rd down, and kicks an FG to go up 23-20. On Westmoore's second play on their possession, Kieron Hardrick races almost untouched 12 yards up the middle for the game winning touchdown.

Whew.

For anyone interested, I've got a photo gallery from the game you're welcome to visit here: here. (http://jagfootballphotos.smugmug.com/2013Season/Westmoore-26-Sapulpa-23/33003585_XKxLnC) Have to apologize some for the rather dark photos, but the Sapulpa stadium is one of the darkest places I've shot and I had to tweak the ol camera to get enough of an exposure...pushed up the ISO, decreased the shutter speed to 1/250, the whole bit. But the pics are servicable :)

Enjoy the talk here! Westmoore really gutted out that win. They're in good shape at 7-1 overall and 4-1 in district with only Tulsa Edison and Broken Arrow remaining. If they can get some folks healed up, they've got a great shot at finishing 9-1 and snagging at least a first-round playoff game. It would be a great year for them! Just have to see how it goes.

MonkeesFan
10-27-2013, 06:04 AM
Sorry not to have tossed in some on this thread since the Jenks game, so in the interest of keeping it going....

First, Jenks was a really, really frustrating loss for Westmoore. I think they believed as much as anyone they had a legit shot going in, but Jenks was too incredibly physical on both sides of the ball.

Westmoore had a golden opportunity early in that game to cash in a punt snap that sailed way over the head of the Jenks kicker, but did zilch in four plays.

That was a trend.

While I won't pretend it would have made the difference in the game, I will say the frustration was multiplied ten-fold by the ugly cold temps and steady rain that fell the entire first half. It made probably a quarter to a third of the Westmoore playbook unusable. If Westmoore could have scored on that first drive, kept the game close, it might have given them at least a shot to keep it close and have a chance to win late. Heck, even as dominant as Jenks was, they were only up 10-0 at halftime. Still manageable. But the Westmoore offense lost something like ten yards on its first play of the third quarter, went on to punt, and it was apparent they just couldn't keep up with Jenks' DL and edge pursuit. It was really amazing.

With that loss behind them, Westmoore went up to Sapulpa last night and had a WHALE of a ballgame.

QB Bryson Lee was out with a concussion sustained at the end of the Jenks game, so Devin Navarro came in, and it took him at least a quarter to just settle in and let the game come to him a bit. The Westmoore offense didn't get a first down until midway through the second quarter.

With Sapulpa up 10-0, Westmoore's defense got pressure on Sapulpa's QB, forced a grounding call, and took a punt at their 40. Westmoore scored, on a busted-play run up the middle by Navarro, but missed a 2-pt PAT, went into the half down 10-6. They then scored on a 20-yard run by Kieron Hardrick on their first drive of the third quarter, going up 13-10. Sapulpa, with a really nice power-I offense and a really impressive (and frustrating!!) pass-run QB got the score right back, going up 17-13.

Sapulpa later added a field goal to go up 20-13, and Westmoore turned the ball over twice on picks that seemed to doom them until their final drive with 2:02 left in the game. Navarro led the Jags on a drive that finished with a 10-yard TD pass to Colin Morris with only 34 seconds in the game. Overtime, right?

Maybe not.

Westmoore allowed Sapulpa to return the ensuing kickoff over 60 yards to the Westmoore 35. With barely 6 seconds left, Sapulpa throws short of the first down - in play - but the clock stopped for no reason as soon as the receiver's knee hit the turf. Its arguable whether Sapulpa's coach could possibly have seen the play, gotten to the ref, and gotten the timeout called in the 3.4 seconds that were left - but a friendly clock operator prevailed. So Sapulpa sets up for a game-winning FG - which Westmoore blocks. Overtime, right?

Nope.

Officials call Westmoore for offsides, and give the home team another shot. Westmoore breaks through, blocks the kick again, and picks up the loose ball and runs downfield for a touchdown, seemingly winning the game in regulation for Westmoore, right?

Nope.

Officials then decide there was an "inadvertent whistle" that blew the play dead as Westmoore picked up the ball and ran with it.

No touchdown.

I can hear the ref explaining to Jags coach Billy Langford "You're absolutely right, its a free ball, but there was this inadvertent whistle.." The Westmoore crowd (which was pretty darned respectable) goes berzerk. Refs conference for several minutes - but - to no one's real surprise - home team gets the break - no TD is the final ruling.

Overtime - Sapulpa drives to the Westmoore 3, but is stuffed at the 1 on 3rd down, and kicks an FG to go up 23-20. On Westmoore's second play on their possession, Kieron Hardrick races almost untouched 12 yards up the middle for the game winning touchdown.

Whew.

For anyone interested, I've got a photo gallery from the game you're welcome to visit here: here. (http://jagfootballphotos.smugmug.com/2013Season/Westmoore-26-Sapulpa-23/33003585_XKxLnC) Have to apologize some for the rather dark photos, but the Sapulpa stadium is one of the darkest places I've shot and I had to tweak the ol camera to get enough of an exposure...pushed up the ISO, decreased the shutter speed to 1/250, the whole bit. But the pics are servicable :)

Enjoy the talk here! Westmoore really gutted out that win. They're in good shape at 7-1 overall and 4-1 in district with only Tulsa Edison and Broken Arrow remaining. If they can get some folks healed up, they've got a great shot at finishing 9-1 and snagging at least a first-round playoff game. It would be a great year for them! Just have to see how it goes.

Thank you for the play by play review! That was a very gutsy comeback by Westmoore! I think they will defeat Tulsa Edison but lose to Broken Arrow....so they will probably be 8-2 which is a great record

I saw Moore's record and damn, only 1 win against Grant High School, I hate to say it but I feel bad for them

SOONER8693
10-27-2013, 09:26 AM

That was a trend.

Maybe not.

Nope.

Nope.

No touchdown.

Whew.

Enjoy the talk here! Westmoore really gutted out that win. They're in good shape at 7-1 overall and 4-1 in district with only Tulsa Edison and Broken Arrow remaining. If they can get some folks healed up, they've got a great shot at finishing 9-1 and snagging at least a first-round playoff game. It would be a great year for them! Just have to see how it goes.That is a word for word dead on accurate description of how it transpired. You must have been standing somewhere near me on the sidelines. I too could hear most of what was being said between Billy Langford and the "officials". I do believe at some point Billy said, you go explain that to my players and team how you stole the game from them with the "inadvertent whistle". Not word for word that, but close. It was the worst case of homecooking by officials in a small hicktown I've ever witnessed in 6A ball. I've been following from field level Westmoore for 26 yrs now. And, the lighting was not up to standards of most junior high fields. Ok. I'm done. Go Jags.

SoonerDave
11-01-2013, 09:37 AM
Hey all...

Unusual Thursday game for Westmoore last night, and that kept the crowd down some...but the Jaguars took care of business just about as you'd expect in a 56-14 beating of oumanned Tulsa Edison last night at Moore School Stadium.

Westmoore scored on five of its first seven possessions, including its first offensive play of the game, and went into the half with a 35-7 lead. That would easily have been 42-7 had the Jags not muffed a first-and-goal snap at the Edison 4 with under a minute until halftime - the ball rolled backwards before being covered by Jag QB Bryson Lee for about a 10-yard loss, and Edison chased Lee out of bounds short of the goal line on a fourth-down attempt.

A long TD run by Kieron Hardrick and a defensive fumble return for touchdown in the 3rd quarter finished the night for most of Westmoore's starters. Some JV and perhaps even freshmen saw some playing time toward the end.

Bottom line, this was a game Westmoore should have won decisively and easily, and that's precisely what they did. They also managed to escape any injuries, and are going into their regular-season finale next week at home against Broken Arrow at 8-1 (5-1 in district). Should be a good one.

Given the Thursday game and the prevailing requirements of work, I did not take the time to get the photo gallery up last night, but hope to do so tonight. At least the lighting was back to normal - ANYTHING was better than Sapulpa! :)

Was also fun to meet a fellow OKCTalker in person - now have a face to put with the SOONER8693 handle here!!

Will post the gallery later.

dankrutka
11-01-2013, 12:40 PM
I used to teach at Westmoore and still keep up with what's going on. If my memory serves me right, this is their best season since they went undefeated in the regular season in 2006 (my first year there). It's nice to hear. It would be great to see them get a W against BA, but they haven't fared well against the Tulsa heavyweights. I hope that changes.

SoonerDave
11-01-2013, 02:23 PM
I used to teach at Westmoore and still keep up with what's going on. If my memory serves me right, this is their best season since they went undefeated in the regular season in 2006 (my first year there). It's nice to hear. It would be great to see them get a W against BA, but they haven't fared well against the Tulsa heavyweights. I hope that changes.

I think its going to be a really good game, and I suspect going in BA will be a favorite. However, in looking at their schedule and scores, I can't say that any one or series of games suggests absolutely that BA is a prohibitive favorite.

Each team lost to Jenks by more than 20 (WM 24-0, BA 28-7). Each team beat the tar out of Edison (WM 56-14, BA 70-21) and Muskogee (WM 48-7, BA 55-10). BA had an easier time with Bixby (28-6), but played them at home, while WM won on the road at Bixby (39-27) - and that was the first week WM played without their starting LG - and the young man who replaced him went down with an injured knee two weeks ago. (WM has been beaten up on the OL this year. ) For whatever reason, WM struggled with PC, winning 16-14, but putting zero points on the board in the 2nd half, while BA blew PC out, 52-21. For reasons no one quite knows, PC has given Westmoore fits the last couple of years.

So, those games would suggest BA going in is appropriately the favorite, but with Westmoore finally out of its offensive funk that saw it go seven quarters without scoring going back to the PC game and into the 2nd quarter against Sapulpa, I surely think WM has a better shot going against BA than it did Jenks. Jenks was just so much physically imposing, stronger, quicker, whatever words you want to use - I mean, they very much carried themselves like a small college football team. I haven't seen BA in person.

If WM can benefit from a favorable evening of weather (and the early forecast is promising), and can avoid a first quarter offensive funk that's hit them in a few games this year, I think they have a great shot. If offense can sustain drives, and take some of the pressure off the defense, I think that will be the key - WM's DL, which tends to run a bit smallish, doesn't want to get in a position where its being run on and getting "out-physicaled" (even though I know that isn't a word).

Whomever the favorite is, and however it turns out, I don't know too many HS FB observers in OK this year going in that would have picked Westmoore with a legit shot at finishing 9-1 and getting a first-round home game in the playoffs...really think a lot of Coach Langford and how he leads his kids.

SOONER8693
11-01-2013, 02:24 PM
You are right. I said that very thing to my wife last night. This is our best record this far into the season since 06 when Westmoore was 9-0 and met Norman at 9-0 in the last regular season game. Westmoore led by Ryan Fightmaster at qb beat Norman, led by Ryan Broyles in a classic, 28-14, to end the regular season at 10-0 and ranked #1 in 6A. They then beat Jenks in the first round of the playoffs, but lost in the second round to Owasso.

SoonerDave
11-01-2013, 09:11 PM
You guys are gracious enough to thank me for the Westmoore pics, so I'll be happy to post the latest set from last night's 56-14 win over Edison.

Westmoore 56 Tulsa Edison 14 (http://jagfootballphotos.smugmug.com/2013Season/Westmoore-56-Tulsa-Edison-14/33159938_B4BjWz).

Enjoy!

One pic in particular I was proud of is a first-quarter pass breakup by Ausin Freeman I caught with both Freeman and the intended receiver in mid-air. Great (translated: lucky) shot.

SoonerDave
11-09-2013, 11:35 AM
Hi, everyone.

Disappointing loss for Westmoore last night against Broken Arrow. Not only did they miss out on a first-round home game going into the playoffs, they just weren't quite able to hang on to a 10-0 first-half lead against the Tigers - including a sterling defensive performance that saw the Jags hold BA on 4th and (literally) an inch on one possession, and 4th and 1 on another.

BA had difficulty dealing with Westmoore's speed throughout the first half. The Jags struck first on an 81-yard catch-and-run middle screen to Dahu Green. After stopping BA on downs on their next possession, Westmoore used a great play-action fake on the first play of their next possession to connect with Jake Dyer on a deep ball down to the BA 4. Westmoore, in an interesting series of calls, opted to run between the tackles three straight times, pushing the ball down within the BA 1-yard-line, but after a timeout opted for a 17-yard chip-shot field goal by Austin Dodd to go up 10-0. It was a great defensive stand by BA, although I couldn't help but think we'd see the Jags pull QB Bryson Lee on a bootleg on at least one of those plays.

BA's offense finally got untracked on their next-to-last possession before halftime, and closed the gap to 10-7. That really blunted Westmoore's momentum, as it also showed how BA would attack the Westmoore defense more effectively in the 2nd half. Moving away from the slower-developing handoffs and deep-drop throws, BA shifted to a quick-attack handoff that allowed their backs to run inside the Westmoore rush and use their speed advantage against them.

The Jags took the ball to open the second half, but Bryson Lee tossed a pick that BA converted into a field goal. Constant pressure by BA's defense clearly frustrated Bryson Lee into delayed or ill-timed throws, and with BA up 13-10 midway through the fourth quarter, the second of two picks gave BA the ball and set up the clinching touchdown with about four minutes to play.

The loss for Westmoore puts them on the road next week to Sand Springs as the #3 seed in the district.

Ultimately, I think this game played out approximately as I expected. I think, going in, BA was a proper favorite, and if these teams played ten times on neutral fields, I think BA probably wins six or seven of them. From my observation, a confident Bryson Lee is the key to this Westmoore offense, and for whatever reason, he was not as confident in this game as he has been in others earlier in the season. Part of that was surely due to BA pressure and lack of time to set up and throw, but clearly some issues boiled down to improper pre-snap reads. I also think the injuries all season across the Westmoore OL really added up to limit their ability to protect Lee as the season progressed.

Interestingly enough, I observed what I personally would characterize as the most ongoing frustration from Westmoore coach Billy Langford with officiating as I've seen all season. Not frustration in the vein of the Sapulpa game (which is well chronicled here), but overall consistency with calls (or lack thereof) on matters of alignment, procedure, and offsides, along with holding on outside receivers. I suspect most any coach would just ask officials more than anything else to be consistent in their calls, and I believe that was the source of frustration for him during the first half - less so in the second. What impresses me about Langford is that he seems to have a keen sense of how to work officials aggressively but respectfully, and without drawing their ire. Not every coach has that skill! :)

Obviously, the seniors playing their last home game were bitterly disappointed in the loss - certainly considering the fact they had a 10-0 lead and played very well defensively in the first half. But, as is often the case, turnovers are just brutal in big games like this, and the Jags just couldn't overcome their three turnover night last night. But they are still playoff bound!

I'll have a link to the photo gallery up later today.

SOONER8693
11-11-2013, 08:19 AM
I too thought Bryson Lee was tentative with his play Friday night. I believe he was thinking of the game with Jenks. Jenks was huge up front and physically assaulted and abused Westmoore's o-line and thus assaulted and abused Bryson. The BA front 7 was huge and fast on defense and I think Bryson was very cognizant of that assault coming at him. I think the Sand Springs game is very winnable for WHS.

SoonerDave
11-11-2013, 10:10 AM
I too thought Bryson Lee was tentative with his play Friday night. I believe he was thinking of the game with Jenks. Jenks was huge up front and physically assaulted and abused Westmoore's o-line and thus assaulted and abused Bryson. The BA front 7 was huge and fast on defense and I think Bryson was very cognizant of that assault coming at him. I think the Sand Springs game is very winnable for WHS.

Absolutely agree.

Frustrating thing for WM is the bracket they're in: Winner of their game next week is very likely to face Lawton in an away game. If they'd won vs BA, they'd have been playing at home against either Norman North, whom they've already beaten, or Mustang, whom I think they would be able to beat. Realize its just the breaks of the bracket, but man, *one* loss makes a huge difference the way things are set up.

PiePie
11-16-2013, 09:18 PM

And you are right, Westmoore won 31-10

Westmoore plays Lawton next week

PiePie
11-16-2013, 09:52 PM
The Broken Arrow-Westmoore game, I went to check the score of the game and I swear the score was Westmoore-84 Broken Arrow-22 then I found out later that the score have changed