View Full Version : H&M

Pages : [1] 2

Pete
09-03-2013, 07:23 AM
As we were first to report back in late 2013 (http://www.okctalk.com/showwiki.php?title=Retail+Explosion+on+Memorial+Ro ad&highlight=explosion), H&M has been working with Quail Springs Mall (http://www.okctalk.com/showwiki.php?title=Quail+Springs+Mall) trying to find enough space for their men's and women's clothing store.

Today, a building permit application was submitted for the international retailer. They will be taking 22,713 square feet on two levels.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/hm3.jpg

For some time, Quail Springs has been shuffling tenants in order to accommodate H&M and after not renewing some leases and quite a bit of shifting, space has been cleared and work is set to start soon.

H & M Hennes & Mauritz AB (H&M) is a Swedish multinational retail-clothing company, known for its fast-fashion clothing for men, women, teenagers and children.

H&M exists in 55 countries with 3,500 stores and as of 2013 employed around 116,000 people The first store was opened on the high street of Västerås, Sweden in 1947.

This will be the first H&M location in the state of Oklahoma and the store should be open this summer.

This is the second recent big addition to Quail Springs, as the state's first Von Maur department store opened last fall in the space formerly occupied by Sears.

www.hm.com/us

3/22/15 Update

These are the detailed plans for the store.

It will be located in the middle of the mall just above the food court. The 2nd level will feature women's, boys and girls departments between Hot Topic and Zeimez. The first level will be all men's, between the Buckle and American Eagle.

An internal escalator will connect the two floors.

The store has set a very aggressive construction schedule, as they hope to open late this summer.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/hmquail.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/hm2ndlevel.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/hm1stlevel.jpg

bchris02
09-03-2013, 08:51 AM
Awesome. I think H&M would be a definite fit for OKC. If this is true it is a sure sign QSM is about to turn a corner.

PhiAlpha
09-03-2013, 09:17 AM
I've heard from a very reliable source that H&M is in the process of negotiating a lease at Quail Springs.

This is at least somewhat tied to the Von Maur development, in that they want to be open about the same time.

There are 8 H&M's in Texas and one in Kansas City -- those are currently the closest to OKC.

For those that don't know, H&M features stylish clothes at reasonable prices.

H&M | H&M US (http://www.hm.com/us/)

From Wikipedia:

H & M Hennes & Mauritz AB (H&M) is a Swedish multinational retail-clothing company, known for its fast-fashion clothing for men, women, teenagers and children.

H&M exists in 43 countries and as of 2011 employed around 94,000 people. The first store was opened on the high street of Västerås, Sweden in 1947. It had 2,325 stores at the end of 2011 and 2,629 stores at the end of August 2012. It is ranked the second largest global clothing retailer, just behind Spain-based Inditex (parent company of ZARA), and leads over third largest global clothing retailer, United States based GAP Inc.

Darn wish it was going to Penn.

warreng88
09-03-2013, 09:26 AM
I am curious where they will go in QSM. Don't thye usually like to have two story stores like Foreve 21 at Penn?

Bellaboo
09-03-2013, 09:38 AM
I was in an H & M in Denver this past Saturday, and it was a 2 story store.

bchris02
09-03-2013, 09:55 AM
Darn wish it was going to Penn.

I know what you mean, but it may be better for OKC long term for this to go into QSM. That mall was going the direction of Crossroads and this as well as Von Maur are game changers. QSM could become a second option for upscale retailers who want to be in OKC but can't get a spot in Penn.

progressiveboy
09-03-2013, 10:15 AM
I am curious where they will go in QSM. Don't thye usually like to have two story stores like Foreve 21 at Penn? They will probably do some "reconfiguring to accomodate this retailer. That is very common to do and should not be a difficult task. This is good for QSM hope that it happens!

lrostochil
09-03-2013, 10:15 AM
This is great news. H&M is a fun, hip, and affordable store that will go over very well here. And, there are several smaller, one story version of H&M around, including one in Vegas.

SomeGuy
09-03-2013, 10:33 AM
I was thinking that maybe they could go into the old A and F spot? There is also a mom pop tenant I believe next to the old A and F. maybe they could use it too

bchris02
09-03-2013, 10:37 AM
I was thinking that maybe they could go into the old A and F spot? There is also a mom pop tenant I believe next to the old A and F. maybe they could use it too

I doubt that will be the case. The typical A&F is far smaller than the typical H&M. Maybe Disney below it will move and it will go there as a two story anchor. H&Ms also usually have outdoor entrances.

kevinpate
09-03-2013, 10:51 AM
Once in place, it makes their new online site more acceptable as well. With a physical presence in the state, they will collect sales tax instead of customers being on the honor system regarding remitting a use tax.

OklahomaNick
09-03-2013, 12:38 PM
This would definitely cause me to go to Quail more often! Love H&M!

OKCinsomniac
09-03-2013, 01:01 PM
This could get me to brave the traffic at Quail, and without having to brave the "street youths" at Penn. Good news!

Mike_M
09-03-2013, 01:42 PM
My wife is going to have a gigantic heart attack if this happens

Mississippi Blues
09-03-2013, 02:27 PM
Von Maur & H&M? Looks like QSM is getting serious about staying above water.

Plutonic Panda
09-03-2013, 03:15 PM
I know what you mean, but it may be better for OKC long term for this to go into QSM. That mall was going the direction of Crossroads and this as well as Von Maur are game changers. QSM could become a second option for upscale retailers who want to be in OKC but can't get a spot in Penn.I just don't get how QS was going to CR. I didn't see it and it is always active with a wealthy demographic area surrounding it. I just don't understand how people think it was going downhill. It could use a good remodel, but to say it was heading where Crossroads it at, I think is an exaggeration.

bchris02
09-03-2013, 03:42 PM
I just don't get how QS was going to CR. I didn't see it and it is always active with a wealthy demographic area surrounding it. I just don't understand how people think it was going downhill. It could use a good remodel, but to say it was heading where Crossroads it at, I think is an exaggeration.

It's because a lot of the national tenants have been replaced by low-end mom and pop stores and regional chains like Rave and Image over the past few years. That results in a snowball effect of lower sales-per-square-foot and further declines in tenant mix and clientelle. That is usually the first step towards a mall eventually dying. I am not sure how the Macy's and the Dillard's at QSM are doing, but the physical appearance of the stores couldn't be more different from the Penn locations.

poe
09-03-2013, 06:53 PM
Great news! I had a good time in H&M at the Forum Shops last time I was in Las Vegas. It was a massive store; I believe it replaced FAO Schwarz.

Spartan
09-03-2013, 08:59 PM
This does not make sense for Quail Springs at all. Next we know, the Urban Outfitters will go in Penn Square, across from Zumiez and other high-class establishments.

It's clear that the OKC market is strong enough to make up for our severe dearth of high-quality retail space. That's a testament to our local economy, but unfortunately we are still going to miss out on the opportunity to create a "big-city" shopping experience with at least a lifestyle center, if not something better.

I am starting to think OKC may be the largest metro without a legitimate lifestyle center?

Pete
09-04-2013, 06:03 AM
This does not make sense for Quail Springs at all. Next we know, the Urban Outfitters will go in Penn Square, across from Zumiez and other high-class establishments.

It's clear that the OKC market is strong enough to make up for our severe dearth of high-quality retail space. That's a testament to our local economy, but unfortunately we are still going to miss out on the opportunity to create a "big-city" shopping experience with at least a lifestyle center, if not something better.

I am starting to think OKC may be the largest metro without a legitimate lifestyle center?

I bet we'll see one at 63rd & Western when CHK finally sells all that land on the south side of 63rd.

bchris02
09-04-2013, 06:19 AM

You are probably right. However, lifestyle centers, at least large ones, aren't really being built anymore nationally. They are a symbol of the pre-recession economy. OKC may have missed its chance. Unfortunately, everything that was proposed as either cancelled, scalled down to nothing, or ended up becoming a Wal-Mart shopping center. If only Belle Isle would have stuck with the original plan and not have went the Wal-Mart route...

OKC doesn't need a lifestyle center to be able to attract the type of retail it should have, if existing developments like Classen Curve and QSM are executed well.

Also it wouldn't surprise me to see Urban Outfitters in Penn Square or Classen Curve.

betts
09-04-2013, 07:13 AM
Urban has been looking for space here for a long time now. Originally I heard they were looking for a grittier area than Classen Curve or Penn Square. Problem is, we don't have any older retail areas that would work. The Plaza is almost right, but the surrounds aren't gentrified enough most likely.

Spartan
09-04-2013, 10:44 AM
Urban has been looking for space here for a long time now. Originally I heard they were looking for a grittier area than Classen Curve or Penn Square. Problem is, we don't have any older retail areas that would work. The Plaza is almost right, but the surrounds aren't gentrified enough most likely.

Yes we do, N Broadway.

PhiAlpha
09-04-2013, 11:07 AM

23rd could work in a few years, has the grit covered.

Rover
09-04-2013, 11:10 AM
This does not make sense for Quail Springs at all.

Makes perfect sense from a marketing perspective. It is a mid-low price fashion retailer with a big available market in north OKC. It is not a high end retailer and will draw from Edmond and north OKC. Not a hipster place.

bchris02
09-04-2013, 11:38 AM
Agree. H&M is trendy but it isn't upscale. It makes perfect sense for QSM and will complement the existing tenants well.

Mike_M
09-04-2013, 12:11 PM
H&M provides a good balance for QSM and opens enough space to someday open another store in Norman. I know Sooner Fashion Mall is super small, but H&M's prime demographic (rich college kids) is all over that place. If it wants to survive the Outlet, Penn, and Quail, they might look to expand sometime soon.

bchris02
09-04-2013, 12:18 PM
H&M provides a good balance for QSM and opens enough space to someday open another store in Norman. I know Sooner Fashion Mall is super small, but H&M's prime demographic (rich college kids) is all over that place. If it wants to survive the Outlet, Penn, and Quail, they might look to expand sometime soon.

I think it would be great to see Sooner Fashion Mall expand. There is no reason the south metro shouldn't have a solid regional mall, something they've been without since Crossroads' demise.

Patrick
09-05-2013, 09:50 AM
I actually think H&M probably fits better in QSM than Penn Square. It's a well known national retailer that we don't have in this market, so it would be a great add, but I don't really see it as an upscale retailer.

I was also reading someone say that Von Maur was going to be the most upscale department store in the city, and that it was more upscale than Dillards or Macy's. I've been to Von Maur, and I think it's a nice upscale department store, but I don't really see it as more upscale than Macy's or Dillards. It's different, but it's definitely not on the line of Nieman or Nordstrom.

Pete
09-05-2013, 09:54 AM
Von Maur is definitely nicer than Dillards/Macys but not quite as nice as Nordstrom/Bloomingdales.

So, it should be the nicest department store to date in OKC.

SoonerTW
09-05-2013, 10:11 AM
Also, ever since Macy's bought Foley's, it seems that there are at least two different levels of Macy's. One being the what I would call the old Macy's with lots of nice clothing items and the other being a Foley's with a Macy's tag on it. The Macy's here in OKC are nothing like the Macy's in places like the Galleria in Dallas. I think the Dillard's at PSM is nicer than Macy's is and Von Maur will be nicer than either of them.

Mississippi Blues
09-05-2013, 10:30 AM
I agree. The Macy's in Oklahoma City are nothing like the Macy's in Atlanta, specifically the Macy's at Lenox Square. The only thing about that comparison is the Macy's at Lenox Square is a flagship location.

Pete
09-05-2013, 10:36 AM
Most Macys are very middle-of-the-road.

We have tons of them here in California and even in the most upscale malls, they are absolutely nothing like Nordstrom or Bloomies.

soonerliberal
09-08-2013, 09:28 AM
H&M not locating at Penn Square could actually be a good indication. They frequently go to malls that are middle of the road. For example they are coming to Northlake and Carolina Place in Charlotte avoiding the high-end malls. I could also see them locating at Sooner Mall or in the Lifestyle Center (assuming it still comes) in Norman.

soonerguru
09-08-2013, 11:30 AM
Why does everything have to be "upscale?" It's kind of a joke. Frankly I think it's disappointing H&M won't be going in to Penn Square. It offers cool clothes at great values. To me, it's a cooler version of the Gap. Does anyone think the Gap is "upscale?"

To me the most vibrant retail hubs have a diversity of selection.

I wish we would just blow up one of the malls and start making downtown retail happen.

bchris02
09-08-2013, 11:51 AM
H&M not locating at Penn Square could actually be a good indication. They frequently go to malls that are middle of the road. For example they are coming to Northlake and Carolina Place in Charlotte avoiding the high-end malls. I could also see them locating at Sooner Mall or in the Lifestyle Center (assuming it still comes) in Norman.

True, but Penn Square is closer to Northlake and Carolina Place than it is to Southpark in its tenant mix. Southpark is like Northpark in Dallas (Neiman, Nordstrom, Louis Vuitton, Tiffany, etc). Nonetheless this is a great sign for the continued viability of Quail Springs Mall. I don't think typical mall shopping is moving downtown any time soon and I am not so sure it should either.

soonerliberal
09-08-2013, 02:53 PM
True, but Penn Square is closer to Northlake and Carolina Place than it is to Southpark in its tenant mix. Southpark is like Northpark in Dallas (Neiman, Nordstrom, Louis Vuitton, Tiffany, etc). Nonetheless this is a great sign for the continued viability of Quail Springs Mall. I don't think typical mall shopping is moving downtown any time soon and I am not so sure it should either.

I think Penn Square wants to become closer to where NorthPark (Dallas) or Southpark (Charlotte) is than the traditional mid-level mall. You are right in that they are not even close to that, but I think they are aiming to move in that direction.

bchris02
09-08-2013, 07:07 PM
I think Penn Square wants to become closer to where NorthPark (Dallas) or Southpark (Charlotte) is than the traditional mid-level mall. You are right in that they are not even close to that, but I think they are aiming to move in that direction.

I agree. I see Penn Square not allowing Gamestop and Payless to renew as a sign they are wanting to move upmarket. That said, I hope the 'Image' store that has recently went into the Lane Bryant spot is not permanent. Mid-level stores are great for Penn Square but they really should move away from bottom-level tenants. As far as having a truly upscale retail district, it would have helped if Belle Isle wouldn't have been built as a Wal-Mart center but rather an upscale lifestyle center to complement Penn Square Mall.

HangryHippo
09-09-2013, 09:16 AM
I agree. I see Penn Square not allowing Gamestop and Payless to renew as a sign they are wanting to move upmarket. That said, I hope the 'Image' store that has recently went into the Lane Bryant spot is not permanent. Mid-level stores are great for Penn Square but they really should move away from bottom-level tenants. As far as having a truly upscale retail district, it would have helped if Belle Isle wouldn't have been built as a Wal-Mart center but rather an upscale lifestyle center to complement Penn Square Mall.

They could have put a walkway over the water channel that's there and connected the two.

Plutonic Panda
04-14-2014, 03:20 PM
Anything new on this?

progressiveboy
06-10-2014, 08:46 AM
Anything new on this? I am curious too. Any updates? Is this going to happen?

Pete
06-10-2014, 09:15 AM
I haven't heard anything new but I wouldn't be surprised if they ended up in the Glimcher Nichols Hills Plaza / Classen Curve development.

warreng88
06-10-2014, 09:23 AM
I haven't heard anything new but I wouldn't be surprised if they ended up in the Glimcher Nichols Hills Plaza / Classen Curve development.

Think they would build new on the area north of Whole Foods? I am not sure if there is enough space in Classen Curve, although the entire space across from Tucker's and Red Coyote is open, but I don't think that would be a big enough space for them. NHP has plenty of space but I don't think going in to an older shopping center is their style. Most H&M's are two stories in a mall surrounded by other popular retail establishments.

bchris02
06-11-2014, 05:17 PM
The Chisolm Creek Facebook mentioned that H&M is going into Quail Springs Mall.

Plutonic Panda
06-11-2014, 05:26 PM
Where was that? I couldn't find it.

Pete
06-11-2014, 05:30 PM
I posted that I heard they were going into Quail Springs but never heard more after the "they are looking hard" info.

bchris02
06-11-2014, 05:31 PM
Where was that? I couldn't find it.

In response to somebody who suggested H&M be in the development.

Plutonic Panda
06-11-2014, 05:35 PM
I saw it. Very good to hear! Hopefully it happens.

Pete, I thought at one time you posted about a specific restaurant that was being built in parking lot of Target along Penn and Memorial.... do you remember anything about it? I honestly can't remember the name, but it was a really cool place.

Pete
06-11-2014, 05:57 PM
http://www.okctalk.com/showwiki.php?title=Corner+Bakery

Plutonic Panda
06-11-2014, 06:25 PM
Thanks

Pete
06-18-2014, 11:07 AM
Wanted to provide an update on H&M.

I have been able to confirm they are still in active negotiates at Quail Springs Mall.

Any lease there would be complex because an H&M is at least 16,000 square feet and that would require quite a bit of contiguous space. They would be the largest non-anchor tenant in the mall.

Quail Springs is in the process of shifting existing tenants to create the desired space. Often, H&M spreads over two levels in it's stores and that may happen at Quail as well as they continue to explore options.

Ideally, they would be open before the holiday season but for that to happen a deal would have to be finalized very soon. But even if it doesn't happen in that time frame, it seems this deal is going to get done at this location.

I also understand that due to Von Maur and now the likely addition of H&M, Quail Springs is planning to bring in other, more up-scale tenants over the course of the next 18 months. They have to wait for leases to expire, so this will be a rolling process.

Von Maur is on track to open in mid October. Look for an official opening date to be announced in the next couple of months.

bchris02
06-18-2014, 11:21 AM
Wanted to provide an update on H&M.

I have been able to confirm they are still in active negotiates at Quail Springs Mall.

Any lease there would be complex because an H&M is at least 16,000 square feet and that would require quite a bit of contiguous space. They would be the largest non-anchor tenant in the mall.

Quail Springs is in the process of shifting existing tenants to create the desired space. Often, H&M spreads over two levels in it's stores and that may happen at Quail as well as they continue to explore options.

Ideally, they would be open before the holiday season but for that to happen a deal would have to be finalized very soon. But even if it doesn't happen in that time frame, it seems this deal is going to get done at this location.

I also understand that due to Von Maur and now the likely addition of H&M, Quail Springs is planning to bring in other, more up-scale tenants over the course of the next 18 months. They have to wait for leases to expire, so this will be a rolling process.

Von Maur is on track to open in mid October. Look for an official opening date to be announced in the next couple of months.

There have been several stores close on both levels that are contiguous, right net to the Von Maur space. It wouldn't surprise me if that ends up being H&M.

Pete
06-18-2014, 11:37 AM
There have been several stores close on both levels that are contiguous, right net to the Von Maur space. It wouldn't surprise me if that ends up being H&M.

There are two spaces upstairs -- formerly GNC and Pearle Vision -- and another directly below. Altogether they are only about 5,000 square feet so not nearly enough.

New York & Co. is right next door with 12,000 SF and I suspect they are trying to get them to move or buy out their lease.

And I also know they are looking at several different options in the mall, not just the one closest to Von Maur.

Hope they work it out sooner rather than later. With just H&M and Von Maur, that mall would change a great deal and certainly pave the way for more upscale tenants.

HOT ROD
06-19-2014, 11:28 PM
so OKC needs a mainstream mall now to fill the stores leaving QS and/or PSM. Is Shephard, NorthPark, and/or Crossroads Mall/Playa viable?

While I'm excited to see OKC get more upscale shopping, there also needs to be location(s) for the mainstream to have a complete retail landscape. Any ideas?

bchris02
06-20-2014, 05:33 AM
so OKC needs a mainstream mall now to fill the stores leaving QS and/or PSM. Is Shephard, NorthPark, and/or Crossroads Mall/Playa viable?

While I'm excited to see OKC get more upscale shopping, there also needs to be location(s) for the mainstream to have a complete retail landscape. Any ideas?

By the standards of other cities, Penn Square is an average mall and Quail Springs (currently) is slightly below average. The lower-end has long left the shopping mall in favor of big box retail. That's why malls filled with cheap, lower-end stores are usually not far from dying.

jn1780
06-20-2014, 08:06 AM

The dozens of other strip malls we have across the city? Malls have only survived because they have moved to be more upscale.

betts
06-20-2014, 08:15 AM
Most cities I visit don't have malls - the suburbs do. Dallas and Atlanta are the exceptions. By the standards of most cities I visit, and I go to New York, Chicago and San Francisco primarily, while we don't have the high end chains, we have local stores that can compete anywhere for tasteful, unique clothing, home goods, gifts. Gretta Sloane, Bebes, the Webb, Gordon Stewart, KS Designs, Delaney's, Balliets, the stores at Classen Curve, Plenty, the women's clothing store downtown whose name I'm forgetting, the rest of the stores I'm not thinking of at NH Plaza are wonderful places to shop that we should be proud of and enjoy shopping at. I don't want to look like everyone else and while chains are fine for some things, I want my clothing and my home to be unique and reflect my personality. There are some great stores in OKC that allow you to shop for precisely those things. This fascination with comparing malls is coming from a bunch of guys, it seems. What do guys know about shopping - no offense. I'm a fairly professional shopper, lol, and I love shopping in OKC. And I rarely go to a mall.

Plutonic Panda
06-20-2014, 12:39 PM
Most cities I visit don't have malls - the suburbs do. Dallas and Atlanta are the exceptions. By the standards of most cities I visit, and I go to New York, Chicago and San Francisco primarily, while we don't have the high end chains, we have local stores that can compete anywhere for tasteful, unique clothing, home goods, gifts. Gretta Sloane, Bebes, the Webb, Gordon Stewart, KS Designs, Delaney's, Balliets, the stores at Classen Curve, Plenty, the women's clothing store downtown whose name I'm forgetting, the rest of the stores I'm not thinking of at NH Plaza are wonderful places to shop that we should be proud of and enjoy shopping at. I don't want to look like everyone else and while chains are fine for some things, I want my clothing and my home to be unique and reflect my personality. There are some great stores in OKC that allow you to shop for precisely those things. This fascination with comparing malls is coming from a bunch of guys, it seems. What do guys know about shopping - no offense. I'm a fairly professional shopper, lol, and I love shopping in OKC. And I rarely go to a mall.im sure a ton of other cities have malls. I can go get a list if you want...

metro
06-20-2014, 02:30 PM
Most cities I visit don't have malls - the suburbs do. Dallas and Atlanta are the exceptions. By the standards of most cities I visit, and I go to New York, Chicago and San Francisco primarily, while we don't have the high end chains, we have local stores that can compete anywhere for tasteful, unique clothing, home goods, gifts. Gretta Sloane, Bebes, the Webb, Gordon Stewart, KS Designs, Delaney's, Balliets, the stores at Classen Curve, Plenty, the women's clothing store downtown whose name I'm forgetting, the rest of the stores I'm not thinking of at NH Plaza are wonderful places to shop that we should be proud of and enjoy shopping at. I don't want to look like everyone else and while chains are fine for some things, I want my clothing and my home to be unique and reflect my personality. There are some great stores in OKC that allow you to shop for precisely those things. This fascination with comparing malls is coming from a bunch of guys, it seems. What do guys know about shopping - no offense. I'm a fairly professional shopper, lol, and I love shopping in OKC. And I rarely go to a mall.
Downtown Indianapolis has a mall

gurantula35
06-20-2014, 03:36 PM
san antonio on the riverwalk has one too