View Full Version : Hispanic Population Growth

ThomPaine
09-02-2013, 12:13 PM
The Extraordinary 30-Year Growth of the U.S. Hispanic Population - Emily Badger - The Atlantic Cities (http://www.theatlanticcities.com/neighborhoods/2013/08/extraordinary-growth-americas-hispanic-population/6733/)

Quite a few counties in Oklahoma listed as "fast growth."

Bunty
09-02-2013, 02:06 PM
It probably explains one reason why, other than oil field expansion, why some rural counties in Oklahoma have actually been growing, rather than declining in population for the last 10 years. Few of us have any reason to go out west to Beckham County, which is on the Texas border, but it is one of those counties benefiting from "fast" Hispanic growth. Oil exploration has surely been helping Beckham County, too.

ThomPaine
09-02-2013, 04:50 PM
I expected more growth in the panhandle, but I noticed Texas County has a pretty large Hispanic population already.

WilliamTell
09-02-2013, 04:58 PM
My family has sold land to Hispanics down in south eastern Oklahoma. Like you guys are pointing out there are quite a few of them around there that weren't there 10 years ago.

WilliamTell
09-02-2013, 05:02 PM
On a different note. I went to.one.of my favorite BBQ places in north Tulsa a few weeks ago and the area has a.very large Mexican population now and even the girls working at the BBQ place were Hispanic and it kinda surprised me.

Times are.a.changing.

Garin
09-02-2013, 05:59 PM
On a different note. I went to.one.of my favorite BBQ places in north Tulsa a few weeks ago and the area has a.very large Mexican population now and even the girls working at the BBQ place were Hispanic and it kinda surprised me.

Times are.a.changing.

And not for the better!

venture
09-02-2013, 06:23 PM
And not for the better!

What is that suppose to mean?

stlokc
09-02-2013, 06:36 PM
Sitting in a slow-growth metro area where old, working class areas of town empty out due to sprawl and nobody comes along to keep those neighborhoods vibrant, I would argue there are worse things than a strong influx of people that happen to come from another country.

I know, I know, legal vs. illegal, all those arguments, I get it.

But would you rather have an increasingly abandoned inner south OKC?

WilliamTell
09-02-2013, 06:44 PM
And not for the better!

When I was in highschool the first waves of Hispanics hit tulsa and there was a huge spike in crime and from what i remember turf disputes between the older established gangs and newer Hispanic ones over drug territories, but I think alot of that has calmed down. Take for instances the 21st and garnett area, that place was declining, mexicans moved in and it got even worse for 5-7 years; alot of shootings, drugs, and break ins. But when i've been by there recently old run down shopping centers now have tenants, the houses in the neighborhoods are being renovated and flipped, and from what I can tell hard working families are moving in and home prices are increasing.

So i agree that typically things do get worst at first but as time goes by (as a whole) people improve themselves, become more established, and then acclimate to american customs.

Like the middle class black, native american, middle eastern, etc population who peruse education and college, within a generation or two those Hispanics that started out in what we consider the inner city and will be our friends and neighbors in the burbs.

Mel
09-02-2013, 07:46 PM
Garin, dude, don't go to Crossroads.

RadicalModerate
09-02-2013, 07:47 PM
Here is an interesting graphic . . .

http://www.aztlan.net/AztlanMap.jpg

Smaller map, but larger territory
http://www.lessgovsd.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/aztlan-map1.jpg

bluedogok
09-02-2013, 07:59 PM
The reason for the growth in the Oklahoma and Texas panhandles is pretty much related to the beef plants up there, a lot of them working in those plants in that area.

My parents neighborhood has been changing into a Hispanic dominated neighborhood and like most of the population, some are good neighbors and some not so good just like it always has been in that neighborhood.

bluedogok
09-02-2013, 08:06 PM
Here is an interesting graphic . . .

http://www.aztlan.net/AztlanMap.jpg

Smaller map, but larger territory
http://www.lessgovsd.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/aztlan-map1.jpg
A variation of the Mexican Reconquista (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reconquista_%28Mexico%29) movement. I'm sure there are some who strive for that culturally but I would think the vast majority don't in a geopolitical way.

ou48A
09-02-2013, 08:26 PM
The reason for the growth in the Oklahoma and Texas panhandles is pretty much related to the beef plants up there, a lot of them working in those plants in that area.

My parents neighborhood has been changing into a Hispanic dominated neighborhood and like most of the population, some are good neighbors and some not so good just like it always has been in that neighborhood.

There were many who moved there to work in the beef industry but the numbers really took off due to the pork farms and pork packing plant in Guymon.
At on time it was very common for most panhandle folks to leave their doors unlocked and keys in their cars on main street or even over night. Very few do that now.

Parts of the Texas phanhandle are in a sigificant oil drilling boom in the Granit Wash play area.

bluedogok
09-02-2013, 08:43 PM
There were many who moved there to work in the beef industry but the numbers really took off due to the pork farms and pork packing plant in Guymon.
At on time it was very common for most panhandle folks to leave their doors unlocked and keys in their cars on main street or even over night. Very few do that now.

Parts of the Texas phanhandle are in a sigificant oil drilling boom in the Granit Wash play area.
I forgot about the pork plants, I worked on a South Korean owned beef processing plant in Guymon full of Hispanic workers that exported all its product to China....how's that for globalization.

ThomPaine
09-02-2013, 09:34 PM
I forgot about the pork plants, I worked on a South Korean owned beef processing plant in Guymon full of Hispanic workers that exported all its product to China....how's that for globalization.

Most of the pork processed in the Guymon Seabord plant gets exported to Japan. I'm pretty sure Japanese inspectors are in the plant on a weekly basis. One of the supervisors there told me they have 26 different dialects spoken amongst their employees.

bluedogok
09-02-2013, 09:47 PM
Most of the pork processed in the Guymon Seabord plant gets exported to Japan. I'm pretty sure Japanese inspectors are in the plant on a weekly basis. One of the supervisors there told me they have 26 different dialects spoken amongst their employees.
Wouldn't surprise me, the CheilJedang plant that I did was in 1997-98.

Bunty
09-03-2013, 01:33 AM
Sitting in a slow-growth metro area where old, working class areas of town empty out due to sprawl and nobody comes along to keep those neighborhoods vibrant, I would argue there are worse things than a strong influx of people that happen to come from another country.

No. I would imagine homeless derelicts in such declining neighborhoods who don't take no for an answer and resort to intimidation to get money are pretty big nuisances and examples of what is worse.

Garin
09-03-2013, 05:42 PM

What could possibly be any more important than the fact that the majority of these people are illegal to our country? And are a huge burden on the infrustructure and tax payers!

adaniel
09-03-2013, 05:56 PM
What could possibly be any more important than the fact that the majority of these people are illegal to our country? And are a huge burden on the infrustructure and tax payers!

The majority are not. Inmigration from Mexico is effectively at zero and has been for some time now. Most of the growth you see in the hispanic population is births minus deaths. I would vouch and say most of the Hispanic growth in OKC is just coming up from Texas rather than Mexico.

Of course you could always call you congressman and ask for him or her to vote for comprehensive immigration reform to ease the burden on taxpayers. But something tells me you are not that type.

ThomPaine
09-03-2013, 06:08 PM

Come on. Estimates place undocumented immigrants at 12 million. Even if all 12 million were hispanic (which they are not) you're still only at 20%, a far cry from a "majority"

By the numbers: How America tallies its 11.1 million undocumented immigrants - NBC Politics (http://nbcpolitics.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/04/11/17691515-by-the-numbers-how-america-tallies-its-111-million-undocumented-immigrants?lite)

Garin
09-03-2013, 07:17 PM
So your saying that illegals are taking part in the census? or do they run and hide from the census? The parents are usally illegal and they know if they have children on US soil then their kids become legal. 12 mil is way under estimated imo kina like the unemployement rate the the Govt publishes.

Garin
09-03-2013, 07:18 PM
ThomPaine where is your common sense?

WilliamTell
09-03-2013, 07:42 PM
Not.worth it.

ThomPaine
09-03-2013, 08:21 PM
Not.worth it.

Nope. Not over here on the non-political side...

jerrywall
09-03-2013, 08:52 PM
The hispanic population is largely conservative, religious, and hard working. I welcome legal immigration and the growth of that aspect of our communities.

Cocaine
09-03-2013, 09:17 PM
Who cares really as long as people come legally and assimilate then it's okay. Also immigration from Mexico is at zero but we still get a lot of central american immigrants. But hey it's not like every one can tell if someone is Mexican, Guatemalan, or Honduran.

venture
09-04-2013, 05:20 AM

1960s called...they want you back.