View Full Version : Fast Food wants $15 an hour?

MWCGuy
08-30-2013, 02:42 AM
I believe everyone deserves to make a descent wage, while at the same time I believe that skill, experience and the duties of the job dictate how much you can make.

In my book wage is a supply and demand thing. The more people that exist in the marketplace that can do your job the less money your going to make. The fewer people that exist that can do your job the more money your going to make. Therefore, you should always seek employment that not everyone can do or at least look for a company that pays you a wage you feel comfortable making. If you don' t like the wage, you shouldn't except the job. If you have no choice because you need to eat, you should continue looking for something better in your free time outside of that job.

One thing I have noticed is that with every minimum wage increase the price of a fast food combo usually somewhere in the neighborhood of the current minimum wage. Ex: Burger, fries, coke usually cost about $6-$8 at most fast food outlets today. I am already limiting my fast food because I'll be hitting 40 in a year and a half. Let's face it the older you get the more problems you have if you don't eat healthy. If a combo goes to $15- $18 you can pretty much guarantee my fast food days will be history. I can buy a dinner for that at most casual dining restaurants for that price. If I'm paying $20 for food, I want table service. I'm not paying that much for something thrown together, thrown in a wrapper and put in a bag. Fast food service is not worth $15. The orders are consistently wrong, the food is not always fresh and the attitudes of many fast food workers are less than professional.

If the fast food industry is able to achieve $15 an hour you can guarantee it will come at a price. You will see more automation and few workers on duty. Many fast food places already use a self service ordering system and you might even see dining rooms go away or only open during peak hours.

Teo9969
08-30-2013, 03:27 AM
No way would the price of a combo jump to $15 if the wage for fast-food workers were increased to $15/hour. $12 tops, and probably closer to the $8.50 to $10.50 range.

Cocaine
08-30-2013, 03:59 AM
I think they are trying to solve our problem with obesity epidemic.

tomokc
08-30-2013, 04:29 AM
Fast food & retail jobs typically require workers with minimal or no skills, for which they're paid minimum wage. When they learn more, they do more, and are paid more, or else they move to another employer who will pay them for their increased abilities. It isn't rocket science - it's an apprentice job paying apprentice wages.

Those who have risen above the minimum wage and entry level jobs have done so because of hard work, education, they learned the system and adopted to it, and personal sacrifice. The people who languish for years in these jobs fail to rise for a variety of reasons: Education, motivation, rejection of a superior-subordinate hierarchy, independence, not wanting to get on a "corporate track," and sometimes circumstances or bad luck.

Raising the minimum wage won't fix that.

bombermwc
08-30-2013, 06:45 AM
tomokc - couldn't agree more.

Raising the minimum wage also means that prices of things go up as well. It's not as though a company is going to just absorb the extra cost. That just means that the raise gets wiped out by the new higher prices. If you earn minimum wage, you aren't going to live a very nice life....sorry.

I feel incredibly bad for the situations where a single mother earning minimum wage has trouble keeping up....even when state aid like WIC or child care subsidy is provided. There are situations where it just flat sucks and you can't really fix things. What would be more helpful in those situations is if someone could help place that person in a better job. I'm not going to pretend to have the answers, but a minimum skill job should get a minimum wage.

ThomPaine
08-30-2013, 06:45 AM
Fast food & retail jobs typically require workers with minimal or no skills, for which they're paid minimum wage. When they learn more, they do more, and are paid more, or else they move to another employer who will pay them for their increased abilities. It isn't rocket science - it's an apprentice job paying apprentice wages.

Those who have risen above the minimum wage and entry level jobs have done so because of hard work, education, they learned the system and adopted to it, and personal sacrifice. The people who languish for years in these jobs fail to rise for a variety of reasons: Education, motivation, rejection of a superior-subordinate hierarchy, independence, not wanting to get on a "corporate track," and sometimes circumstances or bad luck.

Not necessarily advocating for a higher minimum wage, but where exactly do the fast food apprentices move on to hone their craft? Let's assume for the moment that they are not going to go to college or trade school...

MustangGT
08-30-2013, 07:32 AM

Exactly. Raising the minimum wage will almost certainly result in man minimum wage workers loosing there jobs as they cost more than they produce.

tomokc
08-30-2013, 07:54 AM
Not necessarily advocating for a higher minimum wage, but where exactly do the fast food apprentices move on to hone their craft? Let's assume for the moment that they are not going to go to college or trade school...

They go up or out. Restaurants only employ 10% of the US labor force (Jobs & Careers Powerhouse | National Restaurant Association (http://www.restaurant.org/Industry-Impact/Employing-America/Jobs-Careers-Powerhouse)), so they move up within the industry, or change industries.

I had a restaurant job one summer while in high school. I learned how to handle a knife, keep my work area clean, that not showing up on time could get you fired, and other lessons that apply to all organizations. I was rewarded with extra hours and the opportunity to learn other jobs (a bartender showed me the ropes which led to a bartending job in college). Entering college I had a budding interest in photography and so I became a TA in the photography lab, landed a job in a camera store, and met an AP photographer who let me hang with him and learn photojournalism. I don't recall what I was paid, but it wasn't much - probably close to the minimum wage. But the real compensation was learning to work within a variety of environments and organizations, and get along with others.

If you learn those things, there are opportunities everywhere. Is it really too much to expect people to learn and contribute in order to progress in the world?

SoonerDave
08-30-2013, 08:25 AM
As an indirect but unfortunate consequence of our education system failing, we've all-but abandoned the notion of teaching young people that you aren't entitled to a $60K, $70K, $100K salary just for showing your shining face at the door of a business. We don't (apparently) teach that there has to be value in the work that is performed commensurate with what the employer can do with it. There's this peculiar notion in many circles that says "oh, its a business, therefore it has infinitely deep pockets." And the very notion that minimum wage jobs are those for which there is extensive labor supply is the raison d'etre for moving UP and OUT of those jobs by acquiring newer, better, less-available skills, and improving your value to the workforce. This notion of "I make hamburgers, thus I deserve $15/hour" borders on the economically perverted.

ThomPaine
08-30-2013, 08:32 AM
I agree with you both, Tom and Dave. The problem I see is not so much in the fast food industry, but where do people go after that if they don't have higher education. My dad raised a family as a laborer with no more than a HS education, and i know that ability still exists today in certain regions of our country, but we've made it hard to survive for a growing segment of our population. Again, I don't know that raising the minimum wage would change anything, but I do think there is reason for concern about what to do with low skilled workers.

venture
08-30-2013, 08:43 AM
Let me first off state I'm completely against the wage increases the fast food folks are asking for. I do want to hit on two other points thought for the sake of discussion.

1) Wages overall vs. Inflation. Should this be something that is expected? My first job I made $9.50/hr in the late 90s, that is equivalent to $12.62 today. However, you can go out and get the exact same job today and the starting pay will be between $8 and $10/hr. This could very well be the source of much of the pain simply because wages, for everyone, aren't keeping up with inflation and rising costs of living.

2) Lack of people wanting to pursue education. Typically someone making minimum wage, especially if they have a dependant and aren't supported by parents, is going to qualify for the maximum annual Pell Grant of $5600. That grant is available for 4 years of school and as all grants isn't paid back. There is no reason why many of these folks aren't enrolled in school to at least get an associates from a community college. You can go full time at OCCC and get the max Pell Grant amount and still have $2000+ left over per year in money you can save for when the funds run out (or don't cover enough). I'm not sure if this is just lack of people knowing about it or lack of ambition. Probably a mix a both.

tomokc
08-30-2013, 08:46 AM
I am listening to the Diane Rehm show right now, and one of the panelists reported that the average restaurant worker is paid $9.00/hour, $1.75/hour above the $7.25 minimum wage. Another point: The $7.25 minimum wage equates approximately to $15,000 per year, or the poverty level for a family of two. Which brought this to mind:

Two people working at the minimum wage puts their "family of two" at two times the poverty level, and while not great, it isn't dire straits. They'll be fine while they continue to learn and grow, and earn higher wages. Unless they start having children and increasing their expenses without regard to the consequences.

When people complain that you can't raise a family if earning the minimum wage, they're absolutely correct. So don't have a family until you're earning more. Again - not rocket science.

SoonerDave
08-30-2013, 08:49 AM
I agree with you both, Tom and Dave. The problem I see is not so much in the fast food industry, but where do people go after that if they don't have higher education. My dad raised a family as a laborer with no more than a HS education, and i know that ability still exists today in certain regions of our country, but we've made it hard to survive for a growing segment of our population. Again, I don't know that raising the minimum wage would change anything, but I do think there is reason for concern about what to do with low skilled workers.

I think raising the minimum wage is nothing more than a bandaid over that very problem.

Here's the flip side of that education issue: I used to do some consulting for a technical college, and in all frankness the college existed as (primarily, at least) a "second chance" location for people to get some good, marketable skills and afford them the opportunity to get into the workforce with some upside rather than at the perpetually minimum wage jobs. Some folks had dicey backgrounds, some had dropped out of high school, lots of varying circumstances. When talking with one of their instructors at length about how certain courses they were teaching needed to involve some certain kinds of commitment from the student, eg independent study, practice, explore critical thinking skills, the response from the instructors was "well, we realized that, but in most cases when the students found out they needed to study and do homework, even when we provided the lab resources, they just dropped out. And we discovered in our backup studies that this particular curriculum was often picked because there was a perception that it was easy to learn, when in reality it wasn't."

Bottom line - at least one substantial component of the "can't get out of the min wage job market" is the "I don't want to learn new skills..I just want more money" ethic. Not saying its the exclusive problem, but its a big one. And that just gets down to the old fashioned work ethic. In this era of entitlement, I don't quite know how we recapture that notion in some people.

Just the facts
08-30-2013, 08:57 AM
Not to keep beating the same drum - but these kind of problems are what led to me to the New Urbanism. We have a large segment of our population that gets caught in a rut and there is no way out for them. When we concentrate poverty we remove the role models and social interaction between people of various incomes so when people have no other behavior to identify with they are missing out on the opportunity to progress. Couple that with the fact that good paying career type jobs aren't located where many of these people live, and their lack of transportation to get to them, and the literally have no where to go but to industries and businesses that serve the local community - and almost all of those are low wage service jobs.

To solve this negative feedback we need neighborhoods that are mixed income, that have the full range of housing options, and with high enough density to make mass transit cost effective so that people can get to jobs with out having to own and maintain an automobile. We have a neighborhood here in Jax that might be one of the best examples. It is called San Marco. The center of the neighborhood has a shopping district with a wide range of stores - from used books to high end decorators. Housing in the area goes from $500 apartments to $10,0000,000 homes - all within easy walking distance to each other. The area is served by multiple bus routes and is a 10 minute bike ride to downtown employers. It is also located along the river and lots of people fish for their meals.

tomokc
08-30-2013, 09:34 AM
Dave & JTF: The problem is in trying to impose a society-wide "solution" rather than recognizing that each individual is responsible for his own future. Hard work, preparation and luck puts you in a $10 million home; something less puts you in a $500/month apartment, living with parents or under a bridge.

Wherever you are and whatever you do at any moment in time, there are options for improvement within your grasp.

Just the facts
08-30-2013, 09:43 AM
I get it tom. People's current situation is the sum total of all their decisions, but that means nothing to people who are in the situation now. When Apollo 13 was floating around venting their oxygen into space do you think Houston Control said tough ****, that's what you get for going into space. It's your own fault. Not only do we have to fix the root problems so it doesn't happen again, we have to help people floating in space now. Also - this problem is getting bigger and trapping what were at one time middle class families. It is only going to get worse if we don't fix it.

I am going to guess you are smart person Tom, with a college education and well spoken. Get rid of your car and see how long you survive. You will be unemployed in 2 weeks when you can't get to your job and forget about taking a better paying job across town. That's the challenge these people are facing.

tomokc
08-30-2013, 09:56 AM
JTF - There's a Nobel Peace Prize (and more) for the first person who can solve the problem of broken homes, child truancy, poverty, illegal drug use and all of the other causes people point to for their plight.

My path to a better job, car, house and all of it began with entry-level jobs and entry-level pay. If I did it once I can do it again, and so can anyone else.

Append: My wife and I were watching the national news a few weeks ago and a middle-aged couple in Chicago was describing their situation of being two years behind in mortgage payments and unemployed after working their way up to the middle class. Bottom line: They couldn't make it work in Chicago. Almost simultaneously my wife and I yelled "MOVE" at the screen. Move here, or any other part of the country that is hiring people like them. They are a road trip away from a fresh start.

venture
08-30-2013, 10:09 AM
JTF - There's a Nobel Peace Prize (and more) for the first person who can solve the problem of broken homes, child truancy, poverty, illegal drug use and all of the other causes people point to for their plight.

My path to a better job, car, house and all of it began with entry-level jobs and entry-level pay. If I did it once I can do it again, and so can anyone else.

Append: My wife and I were watching the national news a few weeks ago and a middle-aged couple in Chicago was describing their situation of being two years behind in mortgage payments and unemployed after working their way up to the middle class. Bottom line: They couldn't make it work in Chicago. Almost simultaneously my wife and I yelled "MOVE" at the screen. Move here, or any other part of the country that is hiring people like them. They are a road trip away from a fresh start.

Moving costs money too though. If they can make their bills, how are they going to afford the $1000-2000 in moving costs?

Dubya61
08-30-2013, 10:13 AM
1) Wages overall vs. Inflation. Should this be something that is expected? My first job I made $9.50/hr in the late 90s, that is equivalent to $12.62 today. However, you can go out and get the exact same job today and the starting pay will be between $8 and $10/hr. This could very well be the source of much of the pain simply because wages, for everyone, aren't keeping up with inflation and rising costs of living.

I wonder if they should consider tying minimum wage to the same thing they tie Social Security increases to.

tomokc
08-30-2013, 10:21 AM
NOT moving is costing them more than $1-2,000 per month in unearned income from their next jobs.

Bunty
08-30-2013, 10:58 AM
Moving costs money too though. If they can make their bills, how are they going to afford the $1000-2000 in moving costs?

Ask that question of Mexicans who come here for work.

But you can sell all your possessions, but your car and move on that.

ThomPaine
08-30-2013, 11:18 AM

As did all of us except those born to wealth. Most of us had some sort of person in our life (regardless of whether or not we came from broken homes) whom we looked up to and taught us those values. Or maybe we joined the military and saw that there was another path to success, or maybe it's just something inherent that some people have. Or hell, maybe we just got lucky and had a good boss early on that showed us what our capabilities were.

But there's just no denying that many do not have the same options (or at least they don't think they do). So what about the millions born into poverty in this country whose parent's bad choices and bad decisions don't allow them to be proper role models.

And what about, God bless 'em, the folks that just aren't that bright? Some folks will never make more than minimum wage because they are not able to do the jobs that require more skills.

By the way, I agree with you and your wife. If I'm unemployed and prospects for work are slim where I live, I would move heaven and earth to provide for my family. North Dakota has full employment, Oklahoma is near that as well. We still have plenty of contract opportunities in Afghanistan and other locations overseas for people willing to work. If you've moved yourself into the middle class, you SHOULD be smart enough to understand this. These are the folks for which I have little sympathy.

SoonerDave
08-30-2013, 11:22 AM
Not to keep beating the same drum - but these kind of problems are what led to me to the New Urbanism. We have a large segment of our population that gets caught in a rut and there is no way out for them. When we concentrate poverty we remove the role models and social interaction between people of various incomes so when people have no other behavior to identify with they are missing out on the opportunity to progress. Couple that with the fact that good paying career type jobs aren't located where many of these people live, and their lack of transportation to get to them, and the literally have no where to go but to industries and businesses that serve the local community - and almost all of those are low wage service jobs.

To solve this negative feedback we need neighborhoods that are mixed income, that have the full range of housing options, and with high enough density to make mass transit cost effective so that people can get to jobs with out having to own and maintain an automobile. We have a neighborhood here in Jax that might be one of the best examples. It is called San Marco. The center of the neighborhood has a shopping district with a wide range of stores - from used books to high end decorators. Housing in the area goes from $500 apartments to $10,0000,000 homes - all within easy walking distance to each other. The area is served by multiple bus routes and is a 10 minute bike ride to downtown employers. It is also located along the river and lots of people fish for their meals.

Herding everyone into the New Urban Utopia won't solve the lack-of-personal-motivation problem. Someone who refuses to learn will be just as unemployable standing outside a chic, trendy, highly moral Utopian Urban Skyscraper as they are walking down the street of an evil suburban neighborhood.

catch22
08-30-2013, 11:38 AM
Herding everyone into the New Urban Utopia won't solve the lack-of-personal-motivation problem. Someone who refuses to learn will be just as unemployable standing outside a chic, trendy, highly moral Utopian Urban Skyscraper as they are walking down the street of an evil suburban neighborhood.

His point is the opportunity is available to everyone who wants to use it. I have no pity for those who do not wish to advance themselves in life, I have much sorrow for those with the motivation and drive to advance themselves, but do not find a way to get any traction or leverage due to the circumstances to get going. A guy who works for one of the contract handlers at WRWA...he lives 4 miles from the airport. He can not afford a car and his bike broke and doesn't have money to fix it. He works a 4am shift for $8.50 an hour....he walks 4 miles to work every morning (on dark streets with no sidewalks) to be there by 4am, works on his feet in the heat, rain, wind, snow for 8+ hours a day, then walks 4 miles home, wherever that is. That is dedication. Sucks that our transit system can't help him out.

Just the facts
08-30-2013, 11:41 AM

I don't think you are fully grasping the complexity of the situation. So let's say this Chicago family packs up and moves to OKC. What do they do when they get here, sleep in their car until they can find a job? What about their house back in Chicago? Even if they weren't paying for it at least they had a bed, a mailing address, and the kids were in school. Then you have all their stuff? Do they just have a giant garage sell? And if they did what good does that do? In 2 months they would be right back in the same spot except without their stuff.

Just the facts
08-30-2013, 11:45 AM

Very few people have had a harder ladder to climb than me. I went from living in a tent at age 12 to the CEO of my own company at age 38. In our current state of national economics I doubt I could do it again. As Rush L. has pointed out on many occasions, a lot of company founders say they couldn't do it again today.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2011/11/08/home-depot-co-founder-unloads-on-obama-%E2%80%98he-needs-a-sentiment-transplant%E2%80%99/

Cavuto continued: “I talked to your buddy Bernie Marcus [founder of Home Depot] not too long ago, if he could do or you guys could do—”

“We couldn’t do it,” Langone interrupted.

“—today what you did with Home Depot when you got it going—”

“We couldn’t do it,” Langone flatly declared.

bradh
08-30-2013, 12:04 PM
His point is the opportunity is available to everyone who wants to use it. I have no pity for those who do not wish to advance themselves in life, I have much sorrow for those with the motivation and drive to advance themselves, but do not find a way to get any traction or leverage due to the circumstances to get going. A guy who works for one of the contract handlers at WRWA...he lives 4 miles from the airport. He can not afford a car and his bike broke and doesn't have money to fix it. He works a 4am shift for $8.50 an hour....he walks 4 miles to work every morning (on dark streets with no sidewalks) to be there by 4am, works on his feet in the heat, rain, wind, snow for 8+ hours a day, then walks 4 miles home, wherever that is. That is dedication. Sucks that our transit system can't help him out.

How can I get this guy a new bike?

bradh
08-30-2013, 12:07 PM
2) Lack of people wanting to pursue education. Typically someone making minimum wage, especially if they have a dependant and aren't supported by parents, is going to qualify for the maximum annual Pell Grant of $5600. That grant is available for 4 years of school and as all grants isn't paid back. There is no reason why many of these folks aren't enrolled in school to at least get an associates from a community college. You can go full time at OCCC and get the max Pell Grant amount and still have $2000+ left over per year in money you can save for when the funds run out (or don't cover enough). I'm not sure if this is just lack of people knowing about it or lack of ambition. Probably a mix a both.

On the other end of the spectrum (not fast food workers, but college graduates), too many people pursuing degrees has hurt us as well. Everyone is force fed they have to go to college. They get there, get out, and immediately expect riches.

Some of these folks would be better off learning the trades, and growing that way. Many times that leads to you owning your own business down the road. I know this avenue is not as lucrative as it once was, as immigrant labor has laid a huge hit to it, but sometimes I think we force too many people to college.

Just the facts
08-30-2013, 12:19 PM
On the other end of the spectrum (not fast food workers, but college graduates), too many people pursuing degrees has hurt us as well. Everyone is force fed they have to go to college. They get there, get out, and immediately expect riches.

Some of these folks would be better off learning the trades, and growing that way. Many times that leads to you owning your own business down the road. I know this avenue is not as lucrative as it once was, as immigrant labor has laid a huge hit to it, but sometimes I think we force too many people to college.

This is an argument my and I are having right now. She is 100% convinced both our kids have to go to college. I am sitting here looking at $200,000 to $400,000 in expenses and thinking - that is a lot of money to hope they get a job that is worth that kind of expense. I am thinking I can take the same amount of money and start a small business with it and hire them to help run it. When they have a good handle on it I could turn the business over to them and they are guaranteed to have a job - and no debt of their own. Then they can pay me back. If they want to get an AA degree during that time then perfect.

bradh
08-30-2013, 12:25 PM
I'm not bashing a college education by any means. If your kids are bright and can obviously succeed with a college education, don't hold them back.

I'm talking about the marginally successful HS kids who would be better off going straight into the workforce, or even military. You can go straight into the oil patch, work a rig, pick up valuable experience, and in 5 years you could be doing very well as your buddies who went to college are just getting out, struggling to find a service industry job or something.

Military, you can gain serious technical experience in a myriad of fields that you can use to your advantage when you get out.

College is not the only answer for these kids.

catch22
08-30-2013, 01:03 PM

From what I can tell he doesn't want any help. But I'm sure if we had a decent bus system he could probably advance a little further at less expense to his body. However, my point is there are thousands of people like him throughout our city who would benefit from a decent transportation system. Honestly, he could probably get a job closer to his place of residence for a similar wage and not have to walk 8 miles everyday. If you can hold security clearance at the airport, getting a job somewhere else should be a piece of cake.

tomokc
08-30-2013, 01:08 PM
JTF - As Venture posted in #11, college doesn't have to cost $200-400,000. We have a child in a state university right now who is on track to earn a degree in four years, at a fraction of that cost.

Just the facts
08-30-2013, 01:31 PM
It was just an average figure and my oldest is still 4 years away (5% cost increase per year).

https://www.collegedata.com/cs/content/content_payarticle_tmpl.jhtml?articleId=10064

In its most recent survey of college pricing, the College Board reports that a "moderate" college budget for an in-state public college for the 2012–2013 academic year averaged $22,261.

So for 4 years at the average in-state public college is $89,000 times 2 kids is $178,000 and that is before we factor in inflation over the next 8 years. Toss in opportunity costs (they could be working full time during these 4 years) and the true cost goes even higher.

OKCisOK4me
08-30-2013, 01:33 PM
Hell. ..for $15 per hour, Id leave my job and go work in that industry! Benefits after 90 days??

Midtowner
08-30-2013, 02:53 PM
Forbes: The Price of the Big Mac Would Not Go Up at All at $15/Hour

How Much Would A Big Mac Cost If McDonald's Workers Were Paid $15 Per Hour? (Updated, Corrected) - Forbes (http://www.forbes.com/sites/clareoconnor/2013/07/30/how-much-would-a-big-mac-cost-if-mcdonalds-workers-were-paid-15-per-hour/)

Just the facts
08-30-2013, 03:26 PM
To bad the guy making that claim assumes that only McDonalds would be subject to the new $15/hr wage hike while all their competitors would still be paying the lower rate. If McDonalds could automate to the point this guys thinks they could they would be doing it already.

A degree in economics these days must not be worth the paper they are written on.

WilliamTell
08-30-2013, 03:58 PM
I get it tom. .

Whats the deal with me agreeing with your post lately.

Its like you left the party of crazy.

zookeeper
08-30-2013, 04:14 PM
Whats the deal with me agreeing with your post lately.

Its like you left the party of crazy.

Most of the time he makes a lot of sense to me. Sometimes what he writes about issues and what he writes about himself don't seem to match. He calls himself as far to the right as they come and I never see that in his posts. I see a guy mostly conservative on a lot of social issues and actually more populist than anything when it comes to economics. I don't see JTF as one who supports the absurd concentration of wealth we have in this country. I don't want to put words in his mouth, but I think he understands that there has to be something between the very, very rich and everybody else. No society with such an unequal balance has ever survived for long. I don't mean between the rich and the idle poor, but between the very, very rich and those who work very, very hard for very, very little.

SoonerDave
08-30-2013, 05:41 PM
JTF - As Venture posted in #11, college doesn't have to cost $200-400,000. We have a child in a state university right now who is on track to earn a degree in four years, at a fraction of that cost.

I think there are a lot of folks who are starting to realize the same thing. Heck, OU at $300/credit hour (total) is - compared to other state and private institutions - less expensive, but that doesn't mean it can't take a bite out of the pocketbook. Conversely, a OKCCC is closer to $100/hour, and most kids who aren't certain about their four-year degree can get most if not all the basics out of the way there and - if they can endure the horrors of possibly living at home - save literally thousands - even tens of thousands - on the cost of those degrees.

kevinpate
08-30-2013, 08:17 PM

Check with a church ministry. Pool some funds via friends. Check with local police and see when they plan to auction unclaimed stolen bikes.

LandRunOkie
08-30-2013, 08:58 PM
The problem being described is larger scale than you are able to fix. If you seriously want to make a difference, get in contact with your city council person and demand more sidewalks, bicycle infrastructure, and transit funding.

venture
08-30-2013, 09:27 PM
Most of the time he makes a lot of sense to me. Sometimes what he writes about issues and what he writes about himself don't seem to match. He calls himself as far to the right as they come and I never see that in his posts. I see a guy mostly conservative on a lot of social issues and actually more populist than anything when it comes to economics. I don't see JTF as one who supports the absurd concentration of wealth we have in this country. I don't want to put words in his mouth, but I think he understands that there has to be something between the very, very rich and everybody else. No society with such an unequal balance has ever survived for long. I don't mean between the rich and the idle poor, but between the very, very rich and those who work very, very hard for very, very little.

Kerry out here is awesome. Kerry in the politics section still makes me sigh at times. ;) However he knows what he is saying and he has the facts to back it up. If he is challenged he proves his point with data and doesn't just try to counter with avoidance questions. We need more people like him to keep conversations reasonable and productive.

MWCGuy
08-31-2013, 12:55 AM
Speaking from personal experience many of the community colleges across the nation will get you out of the minimum wage world and into a job that pays anywhere from $35K-$50k a year depending on the job, where you live and the local job market.

I went to OSU-OKC. The day I enrolled the admissions counselor told me what jobs are readily available and what jobs are not so available. When you go to class, your being taught be people working in the field or those who have recently retired. When it comes time to graduate you can attend one of many career fairs they hold on a regular basis to find work. If you make the effort to network with the professors they can tell you who is hiring long before the companies post it in the marketplace. Many of the schools including OSU-OKC have school to work programs with many local employers. The employers will even pay for your tuition in exchange for a commitment to work for 2-5 years.

I understand what these folks are going through however, you have to find the motivation to get yourself out of the minimum wage earner life. I started washing dishes at $4 an hour, I worked for about 9 months until I found out through friends one of the grocery stores were hiring starting at $5 an hour. I showed up everyday, worked hard as a cashier and was tapped to move to the seafood counter for $6 an hour. High School graduation came and I realized that $6 an hour was not going to pay the bills. I couldn't live at home because my parents had three kids to support. (I was 4 out of 6. We were a blended family. My older siblings moved out as they each hit 18.) I opted for the military. I did my time and I got out. I went back to the retail world at $8 an hour and left at $12 in 2008. I once again came to the realization that I was never going to make enough money and a glass ceiling was on the road ahead of me. I left and went the healthcare route now I work in a support position for a local hospital making $20 an hour with a generous benefit package. Will I stop at that? No, I won't I am keeping my eyes open for other opportunities. At some point I will probably go back to school and work on getting my bachelors so I can move into the administrative side of the hospital business.

You have to keep your eyes and ears open in today's job market. You can't expect your employer to take care of you like our parents and grandparents employers did. (work the same job for 30 years and expect prosperity) You have to network and keep your eyes and ears open. Many people are working good paying jobs today based off people they were in contact from a prior job. When you start feeling stale, underpaid and under-appreciated it's time to refresh the resume and start looking for new work. Sometimes that means going to school or moving to a new place.

tomokc
08-31-2013, 09:00 AM
I find two types of stories in this thread: Those written by people who succeed despite the obstacles, and those written about others who fail because of the obstacles.

This is what inspires me to support those who work hard to become successful.

kelroy55
08-31-2013, 09:02 AM

I'll donate

kelroy55
08-31-2013, 09:05 AM
Kerry out here is awesome. Kerry in the politics section still makes me sigh at times. ;) However he knows what he is saying and he has the facts to back it up. If he is challenged he proves his point with data and doesn't just try to counter with avoidance questions. We need more people like him to keep conversations reasonable and productive.

I agree but don't tell Kerry I said that *lol*

Bunty
08-31-2013, 10:29 AM
Hell. ..for $15 per hour, Id leave my job and go work in that industry! Benefits after 90 days??

But, by far, the biggest problem with $15 an hour is that it still won't provide a worker with a decent living, if the boss only wants to work the worker for 20-40 hours a week.

kelroy55
09-01-2013, 07:41 AM
https://sphotos-a-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/p480x480/1235960_660949757249339_500496926_n.png

RadicalModerate
09-01-2013, 10:53 AM
I have to wonder why anyone would "strike for poverty" . . .
Seems to me they have enough of that already . . .

RadicalModerate
09-01-2013, 10:59 AM
But, by far, the biggest problem with $15 an hour is that it still won't provide a worker with a decent living, if the boss only wants to work the worker for 20-40 hours a week.
"'$15 an hour won't provide a worker with a decent living'?"
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-6SpaYrDGXw4/TcdEew2sikI/AAAAAAAAAIs/7MwMXjFLs5s/s320/african_orphan_child.jpg
"Apparently we don't share the same definition of 'decent living' . . ."

bluedogok
09-01-2013, 11:18 AM
The issue is most of the employees (and the unions behind them) that are striking don't understand how fast food really works or more than likely don't really care how business actually operates. Sure McDonald's corporate may make billions in revenue but they don't work for McDonald's corporate, they work for a local franchise owner whose margins are much, much slimmer. Most would hire fewer people if they have to pay much higher wages. Only in markets where the labor pool is tight (like Midland/Odessa, Minot/Williston, North Dakota due to the energy boom) is the pay at fast food approaching that rate they are requesting but that is because the better job in the oil field or energy service industries are starting at $25.00+/HR. Also the $15.00/HR is ridiculous because of the cost of living differences in this country, but never try to apply logic to such blanket statements.

RadicalModerate
09-01-2013, 12:03 PM
http://doublesavingdivas.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/McDonalds-Big-Mac.jpg
7Lg4gGk53iY

Look for the union label
when you are buying that burger or fries.

Remember somewhere our union's cooking,
and serving fast food and shooing flies.

We work hard, but who's complaining?
Thanks to the IFFFWU we're paying our way!

So always look for the union label,
it says we're able to make it in the U.S.A.!

Surgeon General's Warning: It has been determined that consumers of these products should
be aware of the danger of eating undercooked cloth labels, thread and stray pins and needles.