View Full Version : College Football - Week 1

venture
08-29-2013, 09:12 PM
Action started today. The state school in action tonight was Tulsa and they spanked by one of my MAC teams, BGSU - the only Tulsa TD came in garbage time at the end.

Two Top 25 teams playing tonight. #6 South Carolina beat UNC 27 to 10. #24 USC takes on Hawaii.

Rest of this weekend's Line Up:

#1 Alabama @ VTech
#2 tOSU hosts Buffalo
#3 Oregon hosts Nicholls State
#4 Stanford has a bye
#5 Georgia @ #8 Clemson
#7 TAMU hosts Rice
#9 Louisville hosts Ohio on Monday
#10 Florida hosts Toledo
#11 FSU @ Pitt
#12 LSU vs. #20 TCU in Dallas
#13 Ok St vs. Miss St in Houston
#14 ND hosts Temple
#15 Texas hosts NM St
#16 OU hosts LA Monroe
#17 Mich hosts CMU
#18 Nebraska hosts Wyoming
#19 Boise @ Washington
#21 UCLA hosts Nevada
#22 Northwestern @ Cal
#23 Wisc hosts UMass
#25 Oregon St hosts E Wash

OKCisOK4me
08-29-2013, 10:15 PM
It was someone's opinion on The Franchise (can't remember who) that Tulsa was the best team of the three Division I-A schools. I sure hope not!

Dustin
08-29-2013, 10:32 PM
WHY IS THE OU GAME NOT TELEVISED?

GRRRRRRRRRRRR! It's the first game of the season! Cmon!

venture
08-29-2013, 11:11 PM

Official line - because no network wanted to pick it up.

Logical line - OU wanted PPV $$$. :)

Dustin
08-29-2013, 11:19 PM
$39.95... Ain't nobody wanna pay fo dat!

venture
08-29-2013, 11:27 PM
Congrats to UConn of the Big Ea...American Athletic Conference for being the first BCS school this year (they are still a BCS conference) to lose to an FCS school. :)

They lost 38 to 18 to FCS Towson. Ouch. Well almost. Towson is ranked #11 in the FCS. Just means UConn is pretty way down in the FBS.

dcsooner
08-30-2013, 03:33 AM

OU is not relevant to the national discussion this year or for many years for that matter and the Big12 is a 2d rate conference

kelroy55
08-30-2013, 06:52 AM
It was someone's opinion on The Franchise (can't remember who) that Tulsa was the best team of the three Division I-A schools. I sure hope not!

Last I saw they were getting their butts whipped, don't know what the final was.

Laramie
08-30-2013, 08:54 AM
Parity is slowly encroaching upon college football and you will see those mid-major programs become the first to come down with the symptoms.

Laramie
08-30-2013, 08:57 AM
$39.95... Ain't nobody wanna pay fo dat!

Why should people pay for tv and then turn around and shell out more money for programming inside a network you are already paying?

You know the best way to put a hault to that type of greed? BOYCOTT!

soonergeezer
08-30-2013, 09:54 AM
The same as your opinion.

kelroy55
08-30-2013, 10:12 AM
Why should people pay for tv and then turn around and shell out more money for programming inside a network you are already paying?

You know the best way to put a hault to that type of greed? BOYCOTT!

I've listened to many football games on the radio before all the pay per views and ESPN.

warreng88
08-30-2013, 12:39 PM
Fox Sports SW shows all the OU games on Monday (around 10am if I remember correctly) just the plays and replays of big plays without all the chatter and that sort of thing in one hour on the "Big 12 No Huddle". This is how I watch the games that are only available on PPV.

venture
08-30-2013, 08:20 PM
Some cobwebs in the air tonight with teams...

Tech is barely ahead of SMU 13-9 in the 3rd.

Mich St is tied with West Mich (go MAC!) with 5 to go in the 2nd.

KSU is tied with ND State 7-7 at the half.

venture
08-30-2013, 09:57 PM
Kansas State has fallen to FCS Champion North Dakota State 24-21. Ouch.

Tech beat SMU 41-23.

kelroy55
08-31-2013, 09:40 AM
The K-State game really surprised me.

bhawes
08-31-2013, 09:45 AM
K-state losing at home to a team they lost too is not good for the Big12. If Oklahoma State lose that will be another hit against Big 12 because theyare playing a SEC team in the bottom half of league and OSU is in the top half.

OKCisOK4me
08-31-2013, 10:52 AM
K-state losing at home to a team they lost too is not good for the Big12. If Oklahoma State lose that will be another hit against Big 12 because theyare playing a SEC team in the bottom half of league and OSU is in the top half.

Don't forget that it'd be an even bigger hit for ou to lose against duck sauce dynasty at home no less...

venture
08-31-2013, 11:38 AM
Rice leading A&M right now 14-7. I guess this is why they only suspended Johnny Football for a half...otherwise they might not even be able to beat Rice. :)

zookeeper
08-31-2013, 01:00 PM
Does anyone know why the Mississippi State-Oklahoma State game is being played at Reliant Stadium in Houston?

bhawes
08-31-2013, 01:38 PM
Don't forget that it'd be an even bigger hit for ou to lose against duck sauce dynasty at home no less...

Agree but I see no way OU could lose that game.

bhawes
08-31-2013, 01:40 PM
Does anyone know why the Mississippi State-Oklahoma State game is being played at Reliant Stadium in Houston?

Houston wants to not be left out of having a college game play in there stadium like how Jerry Jones does for jerry world.

BlackmoreRulz
08-31-2013, 03:09 PM
Based on the first half...if the Cowboy offense is the class of the league, its gonna be a short season

venture
08-31-2013, 06:37 PM
Agree but I see no way OU could lose that game.

Careful what you say. :-P

13-0 at the half...at least they aren't scoring yet.

venture
08-31-2013, 08:31 PM
34-0...not bad for the season opener with a lot of new players.

Easy180
08-31-2013, 09:00 PM
Well after this shutout I think it's time to say its the best of the Stoops era. :Smiley122

SoonerBoy18
08-31-2013, 09:05 PM
I was forced to watch an entire game on twitter. lol I hate it when OU has PPV games but I know its for a good cause.

soonerguru
08-31-2013, 09:28 PM
Nice to see some DEFENSE! Boomer!

venture
09-01-2013, 01:33 AM
Top 25 run down for those that played Saturday...

Red = Upset based on rankings, even though Pre-season rankings are pretty worthless.

#1 Alabama @ VTech - Bama 35, VT 10
#2 tOSU hosts Buffalo - tOSU 40, Buff 20
#3 Oregon hosts Nicholls State - ORE 66, NS 3
#5 Georgia @ #8 Clemson - Clemson 38, UGA 35
#7 TAMU hosts Rice - A&M 52, Rice 31
#10 Florida hosts Toledo - Fla 24, UT 6
#12 LSU vs. #20 TCU in Dallas - LSU 37, TCU 27
#13 Ok St vs. Miss St in Houston - OSU 21, MSU 3
#14 ND hosts Temple - ND 28, Temple 6
#15 Texas hosts NM St - Texas 56, NMST 7
#16 OU hosts LA Monroe - OU 34, LAMON 0
#17 Mich hosts CMU - Mich 59, CMU 9
#18 Nebraska hosts Wyoming - NU 37, Wyoming 34
#19 Boise @ Washington - UW over Boise 38-6
#21 UCLA hosts Nevada - UCLA 58, Nev 20
#22 Northwestern @ Cal - NWRN 44, Cal 30
#23 Wisc hosts UMass - Wisc 45, UMass 0
#25 Oregon St hosts E Wash - EW 49, OSU 46

Remaining games Sun & Mon:

#9 Louisville hosts Ohio (Sun)
#11 FSU @ Pitt (Mon)

Jersey Boss
09-01-2013, 07:12 AM
I know you posted upsets based on rankings, but Vegas had Washington as a 4 point favorite over Boise.

bluedogok
09-01-2013, 11:45 AM
Boise looked bad in addition to losing. Cal was up on Northwestern when I turned it off, I guess NW came back to win.

Laramie
09-01-2013, 11:46 AM
Good week for both state schools on Saturday. Hope the teams don't get to overly optimistic; we have a long season ahead.

Spartan
09-02-2013, 09:03 AM

OU is not the blue blood program it once was where a 38-0 throttling of Popcorn State is actually must-see TV. OSU wouldnt have been televised either had we not played a marquee game against a mid-to-good SEC program capable of beating us. Granted, I think OU (still a very successful program under the Stoops racket) should be much more attractive than Ohio State or Texas throttling (or perioidically struggling with) a Popcorn State, but those are programs that entire huge states will watch even in down years.

The tOSU phenomenon is truly frustrating for alumni of other schools living in Ohio who want to watch something other than the most overrated team in history. And they will always be televised prominently even if they play Crater State on the Moon at 10 am on a Friday because Buckeye Nation is larger than most European countries.

Spartan
09-02-2013, 09:08 AM
Good week for both state schools on Saturday. Hope the teams don't get to overly optimistic; we have a long season ahead.

I don't understand the OU media lumping their shutout of duck dynasty State U in the same headline or sentence as OSU's solid win.

venture
09-02-2013, 09:14 AM
OU is not the blue blood program it once was where a 38-0 throttling of Popcorn State is actually must-see TV. OSU wouldnt have been televised either had we not played a marquee game against a mid-to-good SEC program capable of beating us. Granted, I think OU (still a very successful program under the Stoops racket) should be much more attractive than Ohio State or Texas throttling (or perioidically struggling with) a Popcorn State, but those are programs that entire huge states will watch even in down years.

The tOSU phenomenon is truly frustrating for alumni of other schools living in Ohio who want to watch something other than the most overrated team in history. And they will always be televised prominently even if they play Crater State on the Moon at 10 am on a Friday because Buckeye Nation is larger than most European countries.

Living up around there, friends I have in Ohio I always give crap for their unwavering overhyped support for Buckeyes. It is pretty sad that the entire state essentially ignores the other 6 FBS schools in the state. Yeah none of them will ever probably make a run for a national title, but I always find the MAC schools more fun to watch.

Spartan
09-02-2013, 09:18 AM
The MAC schools generally are surprisingly decent programs, they all have very solid basketball programs (complete w okay-to-great facilities), and the campuses are always huge. I am always surprised at the size of schools like Bowling Green, Akron, Toledo, Kent State, Ohio, Miami, etc.

The thing with tOSU is that I think NE Ohio would be more diversified if Penn State wasn't shamed and Michigan had done anything in the last 8 or so years. tOSU might be more dominant over the B1G than ever before because its basically them and the 13 munchkins.

soonerguru
09-02-2013, 09:47 AM
Spartan,

ULM was a decent team last year, beating Arky and nearly beating Auburn. They scored against everyone. Not a statement win for OU of any kind, but a great defensive performance against a potent offensive team.

venture
09-02-2013, 10:40 AM
The MAC schools generally are surprisingly decent programs, they all have very solid basketball programs (complete w okay-to-great facilities), and the campuses are always huge. I am always surprised at the size of schools like Bowling Green, Akron, Toledo, Kent State, Ohio, Miami, etc.

The thing with tOSU is that I think NE Ohio would be more diversified if Penn State wasn't shamed and Michigan had done anything in the last 8 or so years. tOSU might be more dominant over the B1G than ever before because its basically them and the 13 munchkins.

I've always enjoyed watching BGSU play. When they first came out with Urban's offense many years ago they were pretty exciting and gave teams fits.

I thought this map was pretty interesting. It is a facebook generated map based on fans of the top 25 teams and where they are concentrated.

http://www.slate.com/content/dam/slate/articles/technology/future_tense/2013/08/130830_FUT_Facebook_College_Football.jpg

bluedogok
09-02-2013, 11:08 AM

They typically have one PPV game a season (I know because I have bought one almost every season) and exercise their Tier III rights in that way. This game could have been picked up by someone but we all knew it wasn't going to be a Tier I broadcast (ABC/ESPN), I would guess one PPV game is pretty much negotiated with FSN (the Tier II distribution network) to move it to Tier III. That should be the only Tier III/PPV game this season.

Texas did the same thing with their game being on the LHN which is their Tier III distribution network, the Big 10 and Pac 12 has their own networks to handle the Tier III broadcasts. In granting their Tier III rights to the conference networks they bypass the ability to retain their own network or PPV rights, I do remember some Ohio State PPV games before the Big 10 Network existed. That was why Texas was reluctant to change conferences because they would lose exclusive rights to Tier III broadcasts which the Big 12 allows.

Bunty
09-03-2013, 12:02 PM
Wow, how many national football championships will OSU have to win before it can find majority fans in more than one county in that map above?