View Full Version : Dallas Knows How To Market

okieopus
07-12-2005, 01:31 PM
This ad campaign is about 6 months old but I really admire how it was done. Not too mention the nice website.

Scroll down to the bottom left and watch the "My Dallas" video, very professional.

I think OKC could do something along these lines to market the metro to people who live here.

http://www.visitdallas.com/visitors/

floater
07-12-2005, 02:04 PM
Looks like a standard CVB website to me. But I do like the "My Dallas is.." feature. For the centennial, it'd be great to create a film with dozens of "What does OKC do for me?" comments.

Pete
07-12-2005, 02:26 PM
That's a great video.

Something similar could be done to showcase all the great new (and not so new) things OKC has to offer. Sometimes you need to see things in total to grasp the full iimpact of the various parts.

How about we produce our own with great photos and video clips and call it "OKC Will Surprise You" (or something similar)?

If I lived there I could whip something up pretty quickly... With the right photos and features, there is a lot to showcase.

fromdust
07-12-2005, 08:50 PM
we could make a video. the visitors bureau has one. its not too bad except for the fact that its too short. i think the best marketing campaign is us. but there is a problem with that. too many people in this city still have a negative view of the city. if we could have our own marketing blitz here and drill the fact into these people that this isnt that bad of a place. whenever i talk to people they always tell me how they are ready to get out of this place because it sucks and its boring, blah, blah, blah. i tell them i dont have any desire to move because.... and i tell them why. after that theyre like well yeah i guess its not that bad. well then shut up and contibute to the city. see the fact is most people really do like it here they are just to ashamed to admit this because the rest of the country views us as hicks and backwards. that has made the people here scared, they need to grow some balls and wherever they go in this country and someone asks where they are from they need to say with pride "okc!!"

JOHNINSOKC
07-13-2005, 07:57 AM
Obviously, OKC needs to try harder to compete for tourists and new residents than Dallas does, but if we promoted to the entire nation on a TV commercial what the "NEW" OKC has to offer, then I think the perception would change rather quickly. If we rely strictly on our own population to get the word out, it'll take decades to turn the perceptions of this city around. I really hope this America West hub becomes reality so we can get many more people to come through OKC. Just flying over this city would change some perceptions.

mranderson
07-13-2005, 08:03 AM
Very true on all counts. It seems strange that Texas as a state has this hick, redneck image which they use as Brisket at the bar-b-ques from the tailgates of their pickups on the prarie of the ranch next to the football stadium, and the public seems to accept this.

Now, Oklahoma as a whole, is shunned for the same image. Humm. Strange.

If we had a national advertising campaign and had 300 flights a day into Will Rogers, with anywhere between 1/3 and 1/6 of the passengers able to see what Oklahoma City is really like, then I bet we would make Dallas eat dust.:fighting3 :congrats: