View Full Version : Anyone here ditch cable and get Roku?

Achilleslastand
08-27-2013, 01:27 PM
Roku Products | Roku Streaming Player (http://www.roku.com/roku-products)
750 channels for a one time fee sounds pretty sweet to me unless Im missing something?

BoulderSooner
08-27-2013, 01:41 PM
pretty much no channels anyone would want unless you already have a cable subscription ...

ie no espn hbo ect .. unless you have those channels on cable

MikeLucky
08-27-2013, 01:44 PM
Do you watch sports? If so, it's not really a full replacement option. Plus you still need to pay monthly for your Netflix/Hulu+/Amazon Prime etc... Oh and unless it's changed recently... you can't stream HBO or Shotime unless you have a subscription to that channel through your cable/satellite provider. So, if you watch any shows on there, you would have to be a cable/satellite subscriber anyway.

Zuplar
08-27-2013, 02:03 PM
When I used to watch a lot of movies I only had this. But after awhile it get's old, and I found myself right back to cable/satellite.

OKCisOK4me
08-27-2013, 04:02 PM
I've had Netflix going on two years in March '14. I don't see how it gets old. Im happy to spend $8/month versus $36+ anytime.

BBatesokc
08-27-2013, 04:12 PM
I still do Netflix off and on. I do it for a month and then take off for 3-5 months. When I have it I get all caught up on some series I've missed. But I shortly get bored, so I wait awhile and sign back up.

GaryOKC6
08-27-2013, 05:16 PM
I am actually considering dropping the movie channels and going to just basic dish. ( the package with history, discovery ect) I have Netflix and rent a lot of movies from Redbox. Redbox just started offering streaming for 8.00 a month and you get 4 rentals included. I have seen everything on the movie channels and find myself watching history, A&E Discovery and Travel Channel mostly anyway.

BlackmoreRulz
08-27-2013, 06:12 PM
I liked it better when the History Channel actually had history based programming...

zookeeper
08-27-2013, 09:27 PM
The other thing that is making cord-cutters out of a lot of people is the availability of their favorite TV series, many available now just an hour after they air live Pacific time, on streaming platforms. These deals are being made at a rapid rate and it's only getting bigger. For average viewers, they come out way ahead with local channels, Netflix, Amazon and maybe Hulu. The $1.99 per episode ot $8-$20 per season of 6 or 7 favorites series, plus all the free streaming of back catalog of these series, so many free movies. It takes a lot of that - essentially just buying what you want - to make up just a month or two of a big cable package. And if this actually happens (http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-Sports/2013/08/23/ESPN-Web-TV) - the cable companies will be in trouble, with serious competition from the streaming services.