View Full Version : Thesis: The Honorable Carl Albert was Oklahoma's greatest statesman.

KenRagsdale
08-25-2013, 02:19 PM
Boot it up, big hitters. I want to see some intellectual fire-power on this one.

zookeeper
08-25-2013, 02:46 PM
Boot it up, big hitters. I want to see some intellectual fire-power on this one.

I'm afraid intellectual discussion will veer off the road with the cold hard truth that Carl Albert was a drunk.

There's too many stories to list, but the historical record is full of problems with Albert and his affinity for the bottle. It's obviously a sad situation, but that's just how it was.

When Spiro Agnew resigned, there was near panic from many on the Hill worried that Carl Albert was next in line for the presidency. There was roughly two months from the time Agnew resigned and Ford was appointed as his successor. For several weeks during those two months, Carl Albert was in an alcohol treatment facility.

Harold Hughes, a former Senator from Iowa wrote a book titled "The Man from Ida Grove: A Senator's Personal Story". Hughes had actually risen from nowhere, an admitted former alcoholic who became a one-man tornado for speaking about the ills of alcohol and other substances. Those in need on the Hill turned to him repeatedly for help. He tells a particularly harrowing story about a political figure who he disguised well, but many years later it was confirmed - by someone who would know - that the person he wrote about was Carl Albert. I'll spare those close to Albert with the details, but it's a sad, sad story.

I'm afraid this problem will be an impediment to any "greatest" proclamations for Speaker Albert.

kevinpate
08-25-2013, 06:50 PM
Given his rather limited competition, an issue with alcohol wouldn't necessarily be that major of an impediment. Oklahoma has had its share of drinkers over the years, which isn't meant to suggest the sobriety kings and queens were automatically superior in comparison.

KenRagsdale
08-26-2013, 09:04 AM
Speaker Albert did have a taste for "Beefeaters" Gin. However, from modest beginnings to Speaker of the House of Representatives is a testament to his drive and ambition. No other Oklahoman has risen so far in politics. Albert, while second in line to the Presidency following Watergate, did not desire the Presidency, nor seek it.

MustangGT
08-26-2013, 09:08 AM
He was not called the "Little Giant" for nothing. Aside from alcohol issues he was a consummate Oklahoman and top flight politician!