View Full Version : Where can I buy a cheap Queen Mattress in a Box in store in NW OKC/Edmond?

oki
08-23-2013, 08:38 PM
I need a queen mattress this weekend. Do any stores around here carry queen or king mattresses in a box in store?

Really looking only for far NW OKC/Edmond. I really, really don't want to go to NW Expressway, historic, or South OKC for this.

Do any carry any reasonably priced mattresses in a box in stock? I saw a mattress at Sam's for $600, but that's way over my budget for a guest bedroom. Stores with cheap mattresses and cheap or free delivery would work, but mattress in a box would be ideal. I'm really hoping for < $200. I don't need the foundation/box spring, just the mattress itself... preferably 7 inches thick or more.

Plutonic Panda
08-23-2013, 08:59 PM
I live in Edmond and this is where I got mine at Sleepworld. It is on 2nd St. after you pass under the railroad and before you get to Kelly.

Here is their website: Handcrafted Mattresses and Custom Furniture Upholstery in Edmond Oklahoma | Sleep World (http://www.sleepworldok.com)

Here is their address and phone number: 611 W Edmond Rd, Edmond, OK
(405) 341-2423

I would highly recommend them, they can also work with you a little on the price. I don't know if they have mattresses in a box though. They delivered mine, by request.

Plutonic Panda
08-23-2013, 09:00 PM
Also, I don't know what you can get for under $200. The only place I have personally seen a mattress for under $200 was Ikea in Frisco, Tx. Don't think you want to drive down there. You could make it a mini vacation or something, I dunno though lol. . .

There might be store around here that has them that cheap, but I don't know of any sorry. Hopefully someone here will know.

blangtang
08-23-2013, 09:18 PM
Also, I don't know what you can get for under $200. The only place I have personally seen a mattress for under $200 was Ikea in Frisco, Tx. Don't think you want to drive down there. You could make it a mini vacation or something, I dunno though lol. . .

There might be store around here that has them that cheap, but I don't know of any sorry. Hopefully someone here will know.

Mattress Firm's have a bunch in the store that are discounted, not sure on the prices, but they are a chain you could check with them.

oki
08-24-2013, 02:44 AM
Cool, I'll have to look there.

Really, I don't need a mattress necessarily....

Just something to lift my existing mattress 7 inches off of the ground.

My hook-on bed rail broke.

Can I buy just hook-on bed rail replacement somewhere?

Our headboard and footboard are antique, so only hook-on bed rails will fit it. I was planning to just buy a 7 inch mattress and stack it on top of the existing box spring/mattress we have to make the bed as high as it was with rails.

BBatesokc
08-24-2013, 07:30 AM
The only thing I would be weary off with a 'cheap' mattress is to find out if its been 'reconditioned' or recovered or recycled.

There are a handful of companies in town that buy those mattresses that you see on the curb on big trash day - they are stripped of their original cloth covering, 'cleaned' (though many reports say not very well), recovered and then resold cheap.

Some reports find all kinds of grossness that eventually seeps out of the covering - to include mold and bedbugs (which are very difficult and expensive to get rid of)....

1. Couple cuts open bed dirty mattress investigation - CBS Atlanta 46 (http://www.cbsatlanta.com/story/14707959/couple-cuts-open-bed-after-watching-dirty-mattress-investigation)

2. NewsChannel 5 Discovers Used Mattresses Sold As New - NewsChannel5.com | Nashville News, Weather & Sports (http://www.newschannel5.com/story/13492454/newschannel-5-investigates-used-mattresses-sold-as-new)

ThomPaine
08-24-2013, 08:05 AM
Probably cheaper for you to buy a "Platform." These are used often instead of box springs. Stable foundation and wont make your bed more bouncy. And since it's not a mattress or box spring, they are usually pretty cheap. Might even try Mathis Brothers back in their "Scratch and Dent" area. Goodwill or Thrift Stores might be an option. Since its not a mattress, and nobody slept directly on it, no need to feel grossed out about it!

kevinpate
08-24-2013, 12:14 PM
FWIW, I think wally world online has those closed cell foam mattresses, 8 inch thick, on sale. had an email last night but didn't save it. sorry

oki
08-24-2013, 03:30 PM
The only thing I would be weary off with a 'cheap' mattress is to find out if its been 'reconditioned' or recovered or recycled.

There are a handful of companies in town that buy those mattresses that you see on the curb on big trash day - they are stripped of their original cloth covering, 'cleaned' (though many reports say not very well), recovered and then resold cheap.

Some reports find all kinds of grossness that eventually seeps out of the covering - to include mold and bedbugs (which are very difficult and expensive to get rid of)....

1. Couple cuts open bed dirty mattress investigation - CBS Atlanta 46 (http://www.cbsatlanta.com/story/14707959/couple-cuts-open-bed-after-watching-dirty-mattress-investigation)

2. NewsChannel 5 Discovers Used Mattresses Sold As New - NewsChannel5.com | Nashville News, Weather & Sports (http://www.newschannel5.com/story/13492454/newschannel-5-investigates-used-mattresses-sold-as-new)

EW. EW. EW.

Think Walmart or Mattress Firm or those reputable type places would have this nasty problem?

oki
08-24-2013, 03:30 PM
FWIW, I think wally world online has those closed cell foam mattresses, 8 inch thick, on sale. had an email last night but didn't save it. sorry

I found something that just might work at Wally world online-- not in stock locally but online, so I'm going to give it a try. :)

oki
08-24-2013, 03:42 PM
Probably cheaper for you to buy a "Platform." These are used often instead of box springs. Stable foundation and wont make your bed more bouncy. And since it's not a mattress or box spring, they are usually pretty cheap. Might even try Mathis Brothers back in their "Scratch and Dent" area. Goodwill or Thrift Stores might be an option. Since its not a mattress, and nobody slept directly on it, no need to feel grossed out about it!

I didn't know Mathis Brothers had a Scratch and Dent area. A foundation might be a good fix. I'll check it out!

I looked at Mattress Firm and they have a "firm" (ha) mattress and foundation set for $199. After delivery and taxes, it's $300.
Great price, but I wish it wasn't a "firm" mattress, otherwise I'd jump all over it. I know, I'm picky. And cheap. The soft mattresses are a lot more. Makes sense. Still a good price, and would be really cheap if I had a way to pick up a mattress not in a tiny box.

If I could just find hook on bed rails around here, I could keep the old mattresses I've got. My bed rail broke so the whole bed fell on the floor and is ridiculously low.

I've been wanting a new mattress upgrade for a long time, so I figure stacking a new mattress on my old ones to make a normal height bed hits two birds with one stone.

Those memory foam mattresses on Walmart online look really tempting. Anyone have experiences with memory foam mattresses?
I've got an obscenely old inner spring (if that, it's seriously old). I've never bought a "real" mattress before... only a foam mattress at Ikea once in college. Crazy how expense these things can be. The 7 inch memory foam mattress I saw was low $200s so I might try that on top of my box spring and foundation on the floor.

kevinpate
08-24-2013, 10:29 PM
Those memory foam mattresses on Walmart online look really tempting. Anyone have experiences with memory foam mattresses?
I've got an obscenely old inner spring (if that, it's seriously old). I've never bought a "real" mattres...

I've thought about it, but my last remnants of 70's mellow fellow isn't quite ready to do a final drain on the waterbed just yet. I've slept on a free flow bag since '85, and only bought my first replacement bag/mattress two years back at a very reasonable price from Brown's off 4th/Rockwell. Fairly cheap sleep over the years. If I were to ditch the water bag, I'd probably go with a closed foam mattress.

Plutonic Panda
08-24-2013, 11:49 PM

Again, we were told it had never been used -- even though it had large stains across the top. The employee at Essex maintained the stains were simply water stains.

But, when retired Metro Police detective Brad Corcoran pulled out his evidence gathering equipment typically used at crime scenes, many of those stains appeared to be bodily fluids.

Under his black light and with special glasses, Corcoran could easily see what he described as "large" and "heavy" stains across the mattress.

"There's something that has run down the edge," he noted, pointing out one of the large stains down the side of the mattress.

These bodily fluids, Corcoran explained, were urine or perspiration, blood -- and worse. He then pulled out a test kit and swabbed several of the spots he found near the middle of the mattress.

Testing showed several of them were, in fact, likely semen.

http://www.protias.com/Pictures/Family%20Guy/cleveland%20-%20thats%20nasty.jpg

MWCGuy
08-25-2013, 12:06 AM
Factory Direct on Portland has good prices on mattress sets. The last time I bought a cheap queen set it was $300 and some change out the door. It was a Lady Americana which are built right here in Oklahoma City. Anything less than $300 is probably going to be a refurb like the ones Brian noted in his post.

If your in a bind and money is a factor check Craigslist. There are many good people out there that are selling a good set because they are either upgrading or moving. They won't mind if you ask to inspect it. If they have an issue with you inspecting it. Don't buy it.