View Full Version : Ben Affleck cast as Batman

warreng88
08-23-2013, 08:05 AM
Ben Affleck has been cast as Batman for the untitled Batman-Superman movie.

From Variety:

The actor will replace Christian Bale as Bruce Wayne in the upcoming untitled Batman-Superman feature for Warner Bros., the studio announced Thursday.

Affleck becomes the eighth actor to play the Caped Crusader, following Bale, George Clooney and Michael Keaton.

“We knew we needed an extraordinary actor to take on one of DC Comics’ most enduringly popular Super Heroes, and Ben Affleck certainly fits that bill, and then some,” WB president Greg Silverman said in a statement.

Directed by “Man of Steel” filmmaker Zack Snyder, the Batman-Superman feature will open worldwide on July 17, 2015, with Henry Cavill, Amy Adams and Diane Lane reprising their roles.

“Man of Steel,” released this past June, has earned over $650 million at the global box office.

“Ben provides an interesting counter-balance to Henry’s Superman. He has the acting chops to create a layered portrayal of a man who is older and wiser than Clark Kent and bears the scars of a seasoned crime fighter, but retain the charm that the world sees in billionaire Bruce Wayne,” Snyder said in a statement. “I can’t wait to work with him.”

The announcement of a Batman-Superman film was revealed last month at Comic-Con to much excitement of fanboys, who will surely be watching as the studio begins to assemble its Justice League.

The irony of Thursday’s news is that at one point Warner Bros. was interested in having Affleck direct the “Justice League” movie and his participation in this film will now spur interest if whether his casting means a possibility of directing that film.

The Boston native recently upped his Hollywood power when he won the Best Picture Oscar for “Argo.”

Affleck, repped by WME, can be seen next in Fox and New Regency’s thriller “Runner Runner.”

Ben Affleck Is Batman | Variety (http://variety.com/2013/film/news/ben-affleck-is-the-new-batman-1200586881/)

Richard at Remax
08-23-2013, 08:18 AM
(heavy sigh)

Roger S
08-23-2013, 08:23 AM
This is awesome news! Now I can go enjoy the movie without having to wait in line with all the fanboys.

kelroy55
08-23-2013, 09:24 AM
If George Clooney can do it......

warreng88
08-23-2013, 09:35 AM
For all those who have not see The Dark Knight Rises: Spoiler Alert!!!!!!!!

I am curious how they will explain his death at the end of TDR. Obviously, the autopilot worked and he got out at some point, but do they go into a lot of detail? Do they just act like it never happened?

BoulderSooner
08-23-2013, 09:42 AM
I am curious how they will explain his death at the end of TDR. Obviously, the autopilot worked and he got out at some point, but do they go into a lot of detail? Do they just act like it never happened?

this is a reboot ... not part of that series

warreng88
08-23-2013, 10:03 AM

That makes more sense. It will shave off a few minutes of explanation in the movie.

OKCisOK4me
08-23-2013, 01:32 PM
Is Matt Damon to be Robin? Personally, I take this news as a joke.

venture
08-23-2013, 02:47 PM

I don't really think you can call it a reboot. It is just another take on the story. I think we get too use to the way movies have been "rebooting" series to remember that the comic books tend to run various versions/universes of that character at the same time.

OKCisOK4me
08-23-2013, 03:25 PM
I don't really think you can call it a reboot. It is just another take on the story. I think we get too use to the way movies have been "rebooting" series to remember that the comic books tend to run various versions/universes of that character at the same time.

Yeah no doubt. Im pretty certain I have the Trade Paper Back of Batman vs. Superman from the 1990s. Doubt I read it. Just plopped it in plastic and sealed it!

Not to show my nerdyness but if anyone else recalls, Wizard Magazine which was a popular priceguide for comic book collecting in the 1990s when Image and Valiant comics were the new kids on the block, always did articles where they showed a character from a comic book and what actor/actress most looks like them. Bruce Wayne isn't suppose to make you laugh.

elitespy
08-23-2013, 03:47 PM
I'm not going to pass judgement till I see the movie. I remember when when Ledger was cast as joker the internet was up in arms (including myself) and look how that turned out. I will still see the movie in the theatre and then I will make my judgements.

OKCisOK4me
08-23-2013, 04:21 PM
I'm not going to pass judgement till I see the movie. I remember when when Ledger was cast as joker the internet was up in arms (including myself) and look how that turned out. I will still see the movie in the theatre and then I will make my judgements.

Ledger was a brilliant young actor with a promising career. Ben has Argo. That's it.

Stew
08-23-2013, 04:29 PM
Ledger was a brilliant young actor with a promising career. Ben has Argo. That's it.

False. He's also got Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back.

kevinpate
08-23-2013, 04:41 PM
I have to agree that he is extraordinary. Off the top of my head, I can not think of an actor who packs in more ordinary per pound than he.

jn1780
08-23-2013, 04:44 PM

He has Daredevil also. That's a positive right? Ok, maybe not. lol

I have my doubts about this upcoming Superman/Batman, it has the high potential to be unbalanced. The Man of Steel took a big chuck of the movie just to give Superman's back story. I guess this new movie is just going to be about Superman coming across some millionaire who dresses up as a bat and is kind of a jerk sometimes.

Jersey Boss
08-23-2013, 05:55 PM

Goodwill Hunting was outstanding, imho.

zookeeper
08-23-2013, 07:48 PM
Goodwill Hunting was outstanding, imho.

Yes, great movie. Affleck's also a really good director. One of the last things Roger Ebert had to say about Affleck was that he needs to be behind the camera more and he thought Affleck has what it takes to be a great, great director if he committed himself to that. He directed Argo, The Town, and Gone Baby Gone. All excellent movies and all critically very well received for the direction.

Mel
08-23-2013, 07:52 PM
He might surprise a few folks. I hope.

warreng88
08-23-2013, 09:20 PM

The difference is he was cast by Christopher Nolan and this is completely different director. I trust Nolan wholeheartedly, but I am not sure about Zack Snyder.

BrettM2
08-24-2013, 06:22 PM
It can't be worse than George "Holy Bat Nipples" Clooney. I'm not opposed to this, but I'm also one of the few who though Val Kilmer was a better Batman than Michael Keaton. I loved Christian Bale in the role and wish he would have stayed on, but I think Affleck will surprise some people.

Mel
08-24-2013, 06:54 PM
George Clooney has the poster from his batman movie in his office to remind him to never do a flick just for the money again.

hoya
08-24-2013, 09:23 PM
I saw the Clooney movie again the other day. I came away with a new appreciation for it. Sure it sucked when I was 20, but now it's a Batman movie I can let my 8 year old nephew watch. It's like the Adam West Batman all over again. Not exactly my cup of tea, but it was full of BIFF! BAM! POW!

But Affleck?

"Who's your favorite New Kid?"

Snowman
08-24-2013, 09:27 PM
George Clooney has the poster from his batman movie in his office to remind him to never do a flick just for the money again.

At least the movie was good for something

Mel
08-24-2013, 10:20 PM

Re-Imagined is the buzz word your looking for. That's what they called the newer BSG. I will probably go see it and then make either gripe or hoot and holler after.

hoya
08-25-2013, 06:46 AM
For all those who have not see The Dark Knight Rises: Spoiler Alert!!!!!!!!

I think you may need to rewatch the ending. They show him alive at the end.

warreng88
08-26-2013, 12:51 PM
I think you may need to rewatch the ending. They show him alive at the end.

Maybe I should have worded that better because I understand the ending, I really do. What I meant to say is that I wonder if they are going to explain the ending of TDKR, in general. They put up a statue in his honor because everyone thinks that Batman died saving Gotham. Then, the four people who knew Batman and Bruce Wayne were one in the same had a funeral for Bruce Wayne at his estate. Now, he is just back? But, As Bouldersooner said, this will be a reboot so I assume none of this will be addressed at all.

Prunepicker
08-26-2013, 11:23 PM
I didn't realize that Ben Afleck was an actor. I thought he was in league
with Dicaprio. Or is it DiCRAPrio?

td25er
08-27-2013, 07:09 AM
I didn't realize that Ben Afleck was an actor. I thought he was in league
with Dicaprio. Or is it DiCRAPrio?

I don't see the hate for DiCaprio. He's had a heck of a career. Catch Me If You Can, Gangs of New York, Inception, The Aviator, The Departed. Probably some more good ones, but haven't seen a lot of his movies.

hoya
08-27-2013, 02:59 PM
DiCaprio is a hell of an actor. A lot of range, a lot of willingness to try different things. Yeah he started as a little teen idol, but he's grown up since then.

Stan Silliman
08-27-2013, 03:13 PM
I've decided to pen a column on other popular culture items, not just sports. So, of course, Ben Affleck as Batman:

Ben-Affleck-as-Batman Get-over-it-comic-book-nerds (http://humoroutcasts.com/2013/ben-affleck-as-batman-get-over-it-comic-books-nerds/)

Stan Silliman
08-27-2013, 03:16 PM
Expanded but w/o pictures:

Ben Affleck as Batman: Get Over It, Comic Books Nerds
August 25, 2013
By Stan Silliman

Libby Crews tweets: “Y’all think George Clooney can give Ben Affleck tips on how to suck at Batman?”
Alex Beck adds “Affleck is the next Batman? I hope the villain in that movie wins.”
Kevin Smith tweets: “Holy ****, BEN AFFLECK IS THE NEW BATMAN! You know what this means? I’ve seen Batman naked!”
Wil Wheaton piles on with: “Really looking forward to seeing Affleck bring the depth and gravitas to Batman that he brought to Daredevil and Gigli.”
Jordan Alexandra adds: “Ben Affleck, don’t check the internet today.”

Yes, it’s on and on and on. The tweeting nerds stepped away from their video games and proceeded to lose their minds.

Well, let me lay it out for you, nerdos. Ben Affleck ain’t going to suck. He’s 6’4″ and buff and at every turn a stronger physical actor than Bales. Besides, he’s rich and grew up in an eastern city, not to much unlike Gotham. Get it? Not too much unlike Bruce Wayne. When I say he’s rich, maybe not Bruce Wayne rich, but wealthy enough to put Bales is his back pocket. And he has an American accent. I think that counts for something.

And that’s the point, nerdies. If you truly love your comic books and their DC Comics origins and want to stay true to the Bob Kane and Bill Finger concepts you’d glom to on the idea that Superman and Batman are two of our most American heroes, one an alien polite hayseed from Kansas and the other a bitter orphan from the big bad city and both of them guard the big town. And the movie coming up is Batman vs. Superman. Did you really want both the Superman character and the Batman character both being portrayed by Brits?

It’s bad enough we gave the franchise away with Christopher Nolan turning it an almost all Brit and Aussie cast (Gary Oldham, Michael Caine, Heath Ledger, Christian Bales, and even Aaron Eckhart who was born in Cupertino to a computer exec dad got most of his acting chops living in Australia). It was a Brit fest and I suppose you like it that way but an American actor who has earned his chops, does a lot of his own stunts, is married to a trained martial artist, physical actress is more appropriate to get a chance at this role.

Besides, Ben Affleck is a poker player and a good one. That’s who I want portraying Bruce Wayne, someone who can bluff, someone who can keep a secret and someone who doesn’t get all whiney about having to wear a bat suit all day, as Bales did. I want someone who’s been successful behind the camera and is not going to blow up at the director because he interrupted his concentration.

And before you say I don’t realize Christian Bales lives in California and has since age 17, it’s not about that. I’m for equal opportunity and I know Bales is about that too, having had Gloria Steinem as a step-mother.

I’m just saying, nerdies, it doesn’t hurt to give the job to a guy connected to the comic book industry – Kevin Smith, anyone? – someone with the proven physical chops and someone who can write and direct. If he strikes out, turns out to be worse than Keaton or Clooney, I’ll say never hire another American Batman again. But he won’t.

Prunepicker
08-27-2013, 03:31 PM
I don't see the hate for DiCaprio. He's had a heck of a career. Catch Me
If You Can, Gangs of New York, Inception, The Aviator, The Departed.
Probably some more good ones, but haven't seen a lot of his movies.
I don't have any hate for him. What purpose would that serve? I just don't
believe he's much of an actor. Better than Don Johnson or Tom Cruise,
though.

warreng88
08-27-2013, 03:32 PM
It’s bad enough we gave the franchise away with Christopher Nolan turning it an almost all Brit and Aussie cast (Gary Oldham, Michael Caine, Heath Ledger, Christian Bales, and even Aaron Eckhart who was born in Cupertino to a computer exec dad got most of his acting chops living in Australia).

Don't forget Tom Hardy (Bane), born and raised in London, England, Tom Wilkinson (Carmine Falcone in BB) from Yorkshire, England and Cillian Murphy and Liam Neeson, both from Ireland (which is part of the UK)