View Full Version : Tesla Model S achieves best safety rating of any car ever tested

Dustin
08-19-2013, 08:59 PM
Tesla Model S Achieves Best Safety Rating of Any Car Ever Tested | Press Releases | Tesla Motors (http://www.teslamotors.com/about/press/releases/tesla-model-s-achieves-best-safety-rating-any-car-ever-tested)

SETS NEW NHTSA VEHICLE SAFETY SCORE RECORD

MONDAY, AUGUST 19, 2013
Palo Alto, CA — Independent testing by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has awarded the Tesla Model S a 5-star safety rating, not just overall, but in every subcategory without exception. Approximately one percent of all cars tested by the federal government achieve 5 stars across the board. NHTSA does not publish a star rating above 5, however safety levels better than 5 stars are captured in the overall Vehicle Safety Score (VSS) provided to manufacturers, where the Model S achieved a new combined record of 5.4 stars.

Of all vehicles tested, including every major make and model approved for sale in the United States, the Model S set a new record for the lowest likelihood of injury to occupants. While the Model S is a sedan, it also exceeded the safety score of all SUVs and minivans. This score takes into account the probability of injury from front, side, rear and rollover accidents.

The Model S has the advantage in the front of not having a large gasoline engine block, thus creating a much longer crumple zone to absorb a high speed impact. This is fundamentally a force over distance problem – the longer the crumple zone, the more time there is to slow down occupants at g loads that do not cause injuries. Just like jumping into a pool of water from a tall height, it is better to have the pool be deep and not contain rocks. The Model S motor is only about a foot in diameter and is mounted close to the rear axle, and the front section that would normally contain a gasoline engine is used for a second trunk.

For the side pole intrusion test, considered one of the most difficult to pass, the Model S was the only car in the "good" category among the other top one percent of vehicles tested. Compared to the Volvo S60, which is also 5-star rated in all categories, the Model S preserved 63.5 percent of driver residual space vs. 7.8 percent for the Volvo. Tesla achieved this outcome by nesting multiple deep aluminum extrusions in the side rail of the car that absorb the impact energy (a similar approach was used by the Apollo Lunar Lander) and transfer load to the rest of the vehicle. This causes the pole to be either sheared off or to stop the car before the pole hits an occupant.

The rear crash testing was particularly important, given the optional third row children's seat. For this, Tesla factory installs a double bumper if the third row seat is ordered. This was needed in order to protect against a highway speed impact in the rear with no permanently disabling injury to the third row occupants. The third row is already the safest location in the car for frontal or side injuries.

The Model S was also substantially better in rollover risk, with the other top vehicles being approximately 50 percent worse. During testing at an independent facility, the Model S refused to turn over via the normal methods and special means were needed to induce the car to roll. The reason for such a good outcome is that the battery pack is mounted below the floor pan, providing a very low center of gravity, which simultaneously ensures exceptional handling and safety.

Of note, during validation of Model S roof crush protection at an independent commercial facility, the testing machine failed at just above 4 g's. While the exact number is uncertain due to Model S breaking the testing machine, what this means is that at least four additional fully loaded Model S vehicles could be placed on top of an owner's car without the roof caving in. This is achieved primarily through a center (B) pillar reinforcement attached via aerospace grade bolts.

The above results do not tell the full story. It is possible to game the regulatory testing score to some degree by strengthening a car at the exact locations used by the regulatory testing machines. After verifying through internal testing that the Model S would achieve a NHTSA 5-star rating, Tesla then analyzed the Model S to determine the weakest points in the car and retested at those locations until the car achieved 5 stars no matter how the test equipment was configured.

The Model S lithium-ion battery did not catch fire at any time before, during or after the NHTSA testing. It is worth mentioning that no production Tesla lithium-ion battery has ever caught fire in the Model S or Roadster, despite several high speed impacts. While this is statistically unlikely to remain the case long term, Tesla is unaware of any Model S or Roadster occupant fatalities in any car ever.

The graphic below shows the statistical Relative Risk Score (RSS) of Model S compared with all other vehicles tested against the exceptionally difficult NHTSA 2011 standards. In 2011, the standards were revised upward to make it more difficult to achieve a high safety rating.

http://www.teslamotors.com/sites/default/files/blog_images/model-s-five-star-safety-rating.jpg?new

ThomPaine
08-19-2013, 09:27 PM
I saw one driving around town about a month ago. Very nice (and quiet).

CaptDave
08-19-2013, 10:40 PM
Gorgeous, fast, AND safe! It is a marvel of automotive engineering. I will have one as quick as I can point and click were I to ever stumble upon an extra $100K!

Plutonic Panda
08-19-2013, 11:37 PM
Gorgeous, fast, AND safe! It is a marvel of automotive engineering. I will have one as quick as I can point and click were I to ever stumble upon an extra $100K!I've been told by a neighbor who has one, they have great financing options. He financed one, don't know his yearly income though.

MWCGuy
08-20-2013, 12:26 AM
Give it time ten year car payment plans will be here. I am sure the unions and the Detroit Jet Set is salivating at the idea of $100,000 cars. I can see the ads rolling from David Stanley now. Only 120 payments of $999.99 a month TT&L included of course.) After insurance you, might be able to afford a case of water and a case of ramen noodles a month.

RadicalModerate
08-20-2013, 05:43 AM
kicPPCN2ErQ

ThomPaine
08-20-2013, 05:59 AM
Give it time ten year car payment plans will be here. I am sure the unions and the Detroit Jet Set is salivating at the idea of $100,000 cars. I can see the ads rolling from David Stanley now. Only 120 payments of $999.99 a month TT&L included of course.) After insurance you, might be able to afford a case of water and a case of ramen noodles a month.

There are already 10 year car notes, and quite a few $100K plus cars rolling around town. I've seen some nice Ford F150s that ring up at $40-$50K - before rebate ;)

Plutonic Panda
08-20-2013, 06:04 AM
Give it time ten year car payment plans will be here. I am sure the unions and the Detroit Jet Set is salivating at the idea of $100,000 cars. I can see the ads rolling from David Stanley now. Only 120 payments of $999.99 a month TT&L included of course.) After insurance you, might be able to afford a case of water and a case of ramen noodles a month.Well, I'm sure they will come down in price overtime anyways.

Urban Pioneer
08-20-2013, 06:19 AM
Crash impact data is amazing. Hilarious that they broke the testing machine!

CuatrodeMayo
08-20-2013, 07:05 AM
Paging JTF...

Just the facts
08-20-2013, 07:16 AM

This car is not made by Detroit and the production staff are not unionized (yet). As far as price goes, while the car does have a steep price, it is off-set by no cost for gasoline. I read somewhere cost of ownership is like buying a gasoline powered car with a $500 payment.

As for the 'paging' comment - my issue with the car is, is it scalable to a mass production vehicle. Sure it can swap out the battery faster than a car can fill up at a gas station, but my local gas station can fill up 20 cars at a time. How long will swapping out 20 batteries take?

Martin
08-20-2013, 07:50 AM
Sure it can swap out the battery faster than a car can fill up at a gas station, but my local gas station can fill up 20 cars at a time. How long will swapping out 20 batteries take?

i'm not sure i understand where you're coming from... swapping the car's battery isn't analagous to filling up at a gas station. i wouldn't even think that the battery would need to be exchanged with the same frequency as an oil change. you do realize that the cars are plugged in to recharge, right? -M

Just the facts
08-20-2013, 07:57 AM
i'm not sure i understand where you're coming from... swapping the car's battery isn't analagous to filling up at a gas station. i wouldn't even think that the battery would need to be exchanged with the same frequency as an oil change. you do realize that the cars are plugged in to recharge, right? -M

In order to make refueling possible while away from home Tesla swaps out the battery instead of recharging it. They had a big press conference to show it off. Otherwise, you would have to stop and spend 45 minutes recharging your battery every 250 miles.

CaptDave
08-20-2013, 07:57 AM

JTF was referring to this: Battery Swap | Tesla Motors (http://www.teslamotors.com/batteryswap)

I think the swap facility will mostly be used by people at the Tesla Supercharger stations on long distance trips. Two or three bays would be more than enough capacity at most locations for the next several years, and densely stacking the batteries being charged in an Automated Storage and Retrieval System should provide a sufficient supply of ready batteries. Base the battery inventory on maximum number of battery changes possible during the amount of time required to fully charge a battery pack at each facility. I don't see there being much of an issue especially since there will also be plug in charging stations at each Supercharger facility.

Martin
08-20-2013, 08:02 AM
gotcha... so we're not talking about regular use here. i definitely agree that the biggest hurdle for the company at this point is the 'road trip' problem. -M

kelroy55
08-20-2013, 08:23 AM
Well, I'm sure they will come down in price overtime anyways.

True Cost of Ownership | Tesla Motors (http://www.teslamotors.com/true-cost-of-ownership)

CaptDave
08-20-2013, 08:34 AM
As much as I love the S, I will have to wait to see what the $35,000 Tesla sedan looks like.

ThomPaine
08-20-2013, 09:31 AM
True Cost of Ownership | Tesla Motors (http://www.teslamotors.com/true-cost-of-ownership)

I'm in! I just have to remember to not charge my Tesla during my OG&E peak hours between 2:00 and 7:00 pm!

Plutonic Panda
08-20-2013, 09:37 AM
True Cost of Ownership | Tesla Motors (http://www.teslamotors.com/true-cost-of-ownership)Wow, that is really cool. I've been to their site once before and it seems they added a bunch of new features or I just missed them. Either way, very interesting!

mkjeeves
08-21-2013, 01:29 PM
Great news for Tesla. I continue to be impressed with the company.

I had a chance see a Model S up close and take a ride recently. Love the styling too!

CaptDave
08-22-2013, 04:00 PM
Great news for Tesla. I continue to be impressed with the company.

I had a chance see a Model S up close and take a ride recently. Love the styling too!

Quite a bit of Maserati Quattroporte in that body shape! I am very interested to see what the $35000 Tesla sedan is going to look like and what the performance will be. I think that model might be the ultimate game changer in the automotive industry.

ThomPaine
08-22-2013, 07:58 PM
Quite a bit of Maserati Quattroporte in that body shape! I am very interested to see what the $35000 Tesla sedan is going to look like and what the performance will be. I think that model might be the ultimate game changer in the automotive industry.

If they can actually bring it to the dealer and sell it for under $40k, the waiting list will be loooong.

MWCGuy
08-23-2013, 12:35 AM
This car is not made by Detroit and the production staff are not unionized (yet). As far as price goes, while the car does have a steep price, it is off-set by no cost for gasoline. I read somewhere cost of ownership is like buying a gasoline powered car with a $500 payment.

As for the 'paging' comment - my issue with the car is, is it scalable to a mass production vehicle. Sure it can swap out the battery faster than a car can fill up at a gas station, but my local gas station can fill up 20 cars at a time. How long will swapping out 20 batteries take?

I am not bashing the Tesla by any means. I am just pointing out the fact that if the Tesla creates a market for the common man to pay a $100,000 car. (I'm sure it will.) You can look forward to Detroit jumping on the band wagon with lesser vehicles and more fluff added. (heated/cooled cup holders, seat massagers and other useless junk)

bluedogok
08-24-2013, 05:38 PM
Its a $70k car before credits. Not sure why we keep saying $100k. We don't describe the F-150 as a $50k truck even though you can very easily upgrade it to that.
I know, I haven't seen a 100K sticker on the Telsas at the Park Meadows store. Now the Fisker Karma cars at Rickenbaugh Cadillac/Volvo/Fisker are right at 100K.

CaptDave
08-24-2013, 07:08 PM
I think that impression comes from looking at the performance version with several options added. A loaded Tesla S Performance can get over $100K easily - before tax credits, etc. I was frugal and designed the Tesla S I would like and it came to "only" $87270. ;)

Just the facts
08-24-2013, 07:48 PM
Not to deviate too much. but we went car shopping for a replacement SUV for my wife and I honestly don't know how people are going to be able to afford a new car beyond a compact. To get the same level of vehicle that we paid $48,000 for six years ago would have cost us $72,000 now. The pickup I bought 2 years ago now cost $14,000 more.

BlackmoreRulz
08-24-2013, 08:47 PM
Not in Texas...

Why Texas Bans the Sale of Tesla Cars (http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/nightline-fix-abc-news/why-texas-bans-sale-tesla-cars-140842349.html)

bluedogok
08-25-2013, 11:30 AM
Not in Texas...

Why Texas Bans the Sale of Tesla Cars (http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/nightline-fix-abc-news/why-texas-bans-sale-tesla-cars-140842349.html)
Not too different than the liquor laws, just like the three-tier system of liquor distribution. Most business related laws are protectionist in nature and those under that protection seek to keep them or enhance them.

ThomPaine
08-29-2013, 10:39 PM
Tesla's 0-$20 Billion Speed Has Even Musk Shaking His Head - John Paczkowski - News - AllThingsD (http://allthingsd.com/20130829/teslas-0-20-billion-speed-has-even-musk-shaking-his-head/)

Just the facts
10-28-2013, 09:22 PM
Another Tesla Model S Caught Fire After A Crash In Mexico (http://jalopnik.com/another-tesla-model-s-caught-fire-after-a-crash-in-mexi-1453376349)

The crash occurred in the Yucatán city of Mérida. In news first broken in the English-speaking world by Axis of Oversteer this weekend, Mexican newspaper Progreso Hoy reported on Oct. 18 that the Tesla sped into a roundabout, struck a wall and then crashed into another wall in a private residence before hitting a tree. The driver, whom Diario de Yucatán also reports was under the influence of alcohol, fled the scene.

We were able to contact the driver quickly and are pleased that he is safe. This was a significant accident where the car was traveling at such a high speed that it smashed through a concrete wall and then hit a large tree, yet the driver walked away from the car with no permanent injury. He is appreciative of the safety and performance of the car and has asked if we can expedite delivery of his next Model S.”

That was a pretty good testimonial to the safety of the Model S but they totally blew it with that last sentence. Tesla should tell him, "You aren't the kind of person we want driving our car. May we suggest you get a bicycle."

RadicalModerate
10-28-2013, 09:41 PM
Why bring disgrace to bicycles?
He should be caught and sentenced to driving one of these:

http://www.curbsideclassic.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Corvair-1960.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/4a/Bluepinto.jpg

After all, he seems to be "unsafe at any speed" and likes cars that easily catch on fire . . .

Plutonic Panda
10-31-2013, 07:17 PM
Tesla Outsells BMW, Mercedes And Lexus In America's Wealthiest ZIP Codes

'It’s not surprising to me that Silicon Valley dominates Forbes’ 2013 list of wealthiest American ZIP codes. Nor that Tesla electric cars are popular in the Bay area, since the company is headquartered in Palo Alto (not to mention it gets you a sticker to drive alone in the carpool lane). What is surprising, though, is that the Tesla Model S is the best-selling car in eight of the 25 wealthiest ZIP codes in America — outselling the usual crowd of luxury models from BMW, Mercedes, Lexus and Audi .

This fascinating nugget comes from Edmunds.com Senior Analyst Jessica Caldwell, who got curious recently after reading the Forbes list of wealthiest ZIP codes. As she writes in her Edmunds’ Drive By Numbers blog, Caldwell wanted to find out how all this wealth affected Tesla ownership. So she cross referenced our wealth data by ZIP code with 2013 car registration data from Polk, the Southfield, Mich.-based automotive data and marketing company'

Tesla Outsells BMW, Mercedes And Lexus In America's Wealthiest ZIP Codes - Forbes (http://www.forbes.com/sites/joannmuller/2013/10/31/tesla-outsells-bmw-mercedes-and-lexus-in-americas-wealthiest-zip-codes/?partner=yahootix)

ThomPaine
10-31-2013, 09:21 PM
Saw a white (or silver) one in the Plaza district last night.

bluedogok
11-01-2013, 07:40 PM
I saw one last weekend pulling out of the 7-11 at Casady Square, looked either black or very dark blue.

Dustin
11-21-2013, 06:23 PM
Tesla's Model S Receives 'The Highest Owner-Satisfaction Score Consumer Reports Has Seen In Years' - Business Insider (http://www.businessinsider.com/teslas-model-s-receives-the-highest-owner-satisfaction-score-consumer-reports-has-seen-in-years-2013-11)

mkjeeves
11-21-2013, 07:13 PM
How Does the Tesla Model S Fire Risk Compare to Gasoline Cars?

Since the Model S went into production last year, there have been more than a quarter million gasoline car fires in the United States alone, resulting in over 400 deaths and approximately 1,200 serious injuries (extrapolating 2012 NFPA data). However, the three Model S fires, which only occurred after very high-speed collisions and caused no serious injuries or deaths, received more national headlines than all 250,000+ gasoline fires combined. The media coverage of Model S fires vs. gasoline car fires is disproportionate by several orders of magnitude, despite the latter actually being far more deadly.

Reading the headlines, it is therefore easy to assume that the Tesla Model S and perhaps electric cars in general have a greater propensity to catch fire than gasoline cars when nothing could be further from the truth.

Journalists with a deep knowledge of the car industry, such as the news editor of Automotive News, understand and attempt to rebut this notion, but they have been drowned out by an onslaught of popular and financial media seeking to make a sensation out of something that a simple Google search would reveal to be false. I would also like to express appreciation for the investigative journalists who took the time to research and write an accurate article.

The degree to which this is outrageous is described well in the above-mentioned Automotive News article. There are now substantially more than the 19,000 Model S vehicles on the road that were reported in our Q3 shareholder letter for an average of one fire per at least 6,333 cars, compared to the rate for gasoline vehicles of one fire per 1,350 cars. By this metric, you are more than four and a half times more likely to experience a fire in a gasoline car than a Model S! Considering the odds in the absolute, you are more likely to be struck by lightning in your lifetime than experience even a non-injurious fire in a Tesla.

Those metrics tell only part of the story. The far more deadly nature of a gasoline car fire deserves to be re-emphasized. Since the Model S went into production mid last year, there have been over 400 deaths and 1,200 serious injuries in the United States alone due to gasoline car fires, compared to zero deaths and zero injuries due to Tesla fires anywhere in the world.

There is a real, physical reason for this: a gasoline tank has 10 times more combustion energy than our battery pack. Moreover, the Model S battery pack also has internal firewalls between the 16 modules and a firewall between the battery pack and passenger compartment. This effectively limits the fire energy to a few percent that of a gasoline car and is the reason why Dr. Shibayama was able to retrieve his pens and papers from the glove compartment completely untouched after the recent fire (caused by a high speed impact with a tow hitch). It is also why arsonists tend to favor gasoline. Trying to set the side of a building on fire with a battery pack is far less effective.

The Mission of Tesla | Blog | Tesla Motors (http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/mission-tesla)

Prunepicker
11-21-2013, 09:39 PM
I've always thought the Tesla is a gorgeous car. Cool that it can go
from 0-60 in 3.7. Gotta love it. However, I like the sound of a gas
engine. The roar of the exhaust is very stimulating. In fact, women
love it!

I'd love to own a Tesla but would rather have a Ferrari, Lamborghini or
Aston Martin.

I really dig the Tesla.

Just the facts
11-22-2013, 10:58 PM
There are now substantially more than the 19,000 Model S vehicles on the road that were reported in our Q3 shareholder letter for an average of one fire per at least 6,333 cars, compared to the rate for gasoline vehicles of one fire per 1,350 cars.

While that comparison does have its merits, I think the data is a skewed a bit by the maintenance and driving habits of the respective owners and the age of the automobile. Maybe they should only look at gasoline power cars that cost over $87,000 and are less than 2 years old to get a comparable burn rate.

It is not uncommon to drive around Orlando and see a 19 year old driving a 20 year old Nissan Sentra using a rag for a gas cap. Quite literally a rolling molotov cocktail. Is that a fair comparison to a Tesla? The author of that article thinks so. Now if 2012 BMW 750s are going up at the rate of 1 for every 1,350 I'll retract my comment.

mkjeeves
11-23-2013, 06:14 AM
While that comparison does have its merits, I think the data is a skewed a bit by the maintenance and driving habits of the respective owners and the age of the automobile. Maybe they should only look at gasoline power cars that cost over $87,000 and are less than 2 years old to get a comparable burn rate.

It is not uncommon to drive around Orlando and see a 19 year old driving a 20 year old Nissan Sentra using a rag for a gas cap. Quite literally a rolling molotov cocktail. Is that a fair comparison to a Tesla? The author of that article thinks so. Now if 2012 BMW 750s are going up at the rate of 1 for every 1,350 I'll retract my comment.

You obviously didn't google "BMW fire" before posting that.

Dustin
12-02-2013, 08:29 PM
German Federal Motor Transport Authority (Kraftfahrt-Bundesamt) Concludes Review of Model S Incidents | Press Releases | Tesla Motors (http://www.teslamotors.com/about/press/releases/german-federal-motor-transport-authority-kraftfahrtbundesamt-concludes-review-m)

Fires due to crashes, not defects. No recall.

RadicalModerate
12-02-2013, 09:11 PM
German Federal Motor Transport Authority (Kraftfahrt-Bundesamt) Concludes Review of Model S Incidents | Press Releases | Tesla Motors (http://www.teslamotors.com/about/press/releases/german-federal-motor-transport-authority-kraftfahrtbundesamt-concludes-review-m)

Fires due to crashes, not defects. No recall.

The only argument that I could reasonably have, within the context of the Linked Source Documentation, translation thereof, (downloaded from Cyberspace) might be . . .
the proper usage of the word "nicht" and variations of that concept, in the summary, above.

Could possibly also be applied to recent events in California . . . involving another German Motorcar, yet it is probably to soon to judge.=)

Perhaps TeslaMotorworken might be persuaded to place their electric miracle in a chassis resembling a Corvair?
(or maybe a Pinto?)

It ain't "the car" . . . It's "the driver".
Well . . . ain't it? =)

(i, personally, think the Tesla is about as cool as can be. So take all of the above with a grain of salt.)