View Full Version : Robinson Crossing Theaters closed

jedicurt
08-18-2013, 05:21 PM
I happened to be over in Robinson Crossing today, and noticed that the dollar theater was closed. Does anyone know when this happened? and were they just not getting business? it was probably 3 years ago, last time i was in there, and they were filthy, so it doesn't really surprise me. I'm kinda hoping someone comes in, cleans them up nice, and make it a theater that shows old movies. I'd go see Ghostbusters every day if they would show it! lol

kevinpate
08-18-2013, 07:54 PM
It went away a few weeks back, near the beginning of July.

What I heard was the A/C system needed major work. As to why something couldn't be worked out between Landlord and tenant, not a clue. It had been a while since I went to a movie there. Saw MiB w/ Brolin & Abe L, Vamp Whacker ... yeah, I was totally and utterly bored that day, well that and I was jonesin' for bad popcorn.

Geographer
08-19-2013, 06:49 AM
I went there several times as a student at OU the past few years...good place for a cheap movie when there's nothin else going on. It's the place for those movies that you say... "Yeah I want to see this but I don't want to pay $7...let's just wait till it's at the dollar theatre"

bille
08-19-2013, 11:22 AM
Early July, perhaps the second week? We were looking to go see a movie that had passed us up and called to find out they'd closed just a few days prior. Kind of a bummer. Not that we'd go all the time, perhaps once every year or so on average but now that leaves the dollar theatre near Crossroads (oh hell no, are you crazy!?) and too far to drive to be worth it.

kevinpate
08-19-2013, 06:37 PM
Not recalling ever attending a dollar movie at CRM, though I know it's been over there a good while in the far SE part of the lot. Never saw the point as it showed the same movies more or less as the one in Norman.

A few times we went to the one at the old S Shields location, just north of what is now Burlington. And once or twice we took in a show at the one at NW 63rd and Meridian, but it's long gone too. No clue if the Northpark mall one is still functional or not.

Of all the discount houses, my two favorite over the years were the old one on the east side of Norman, and the now closed, hopefully only temporarily, Winchester Drive in. Technically it wasn't a discount house, but three films on weekend nights at 5-6 a head wasn't a bad deal.

bille
08-19-2013, 08:20 PM
I haven't been to crossroads since it was the new release theatre, prior to Regal opening. Back then we went to the east side norman dollar place, the one that just closed was still releasing new movies, for a minute anyway as Hollywood Theatre was still new or just opening or the one by Venture or whatever store was in that shopping center before Burlington.

Northpark is still open so I'm told but that's way far to drive for a dollar movie.

Winchester is a favorite and our 5 year old had been begging to go, we'd made plans to go the first 'kids' release they had set to open, I was anxious to check out the renovations to the concession area and especially the new digital camera that incidentally made it a whole two weeks before being torn up in one of the May storms. Fortunately they are planning to reopen soon, per a recent news report they are hoping to open back up for Labor Day weekend.

OKCDrummer77
08-19-2013, 09:25 PM
Northpark is still up and running, but their seats are rather uncomfortable. I have a hard time sitting there for 2+ hours.

kevinpate
08-19-2013, 09:56 PM
Winchester reopening will be a Phil Robertson moment for me.