View Full Version : Big Box Space Disappearing

ljbab728
08-16-2013, 11:15 PM
Is this a good or bad problem? Is it causing OKC to lose out on new retail?

http://www.oklahoman.com/article/3872925?embargo=1

Oklahoma City's big-box retail space surplus has slipped away the past few years as the local economy hums and national and regional chains keep grabbing space.

“After so much worry several years ago about an oversupply of empty box space, we are now struggling with a lack of inventory. There are tenants circling the market that simply can't find space,” said Inman, senior vice president of the firm.

“While there are exceptions, most big-box users will be looking in our market for no more than five or six units. When you look at the most desired trade areas — Quail Springs Mall area, Moore-Norman, west Oklahoma City or Midwest City — there are simply no options. Retailers are forced to consider new construction or simply pass on the market,” said Graham, a CB Richard Ellis-Oklahoma vice president.

bchris02
08-17-2013, 10:12 AM
OKC needs at least one solid lifestyle center as well as several more Spring Creek style developments in my opinion. This is something OKC would be wise to not ignore. This city is a retail desert compared to other markets and better retail will go a long way towards improving the quality of life here.

G.Walker
08-17-2013, 11:14 AM
The problem with OKC is that they are reactive and not proactive. Big box retailers are passing us up because of no space, big companies are passing us up because of no office space, limited parking, and not enough direct flights. It's a good problem to have, but the city will miss out on opportunities because developers won't step up and take a chance.

bradh
08-17-2013, 11:17 AM
That May & Memorial space that has already bid out and designed is prime for something nice, but will probably turn into something very lacking

Plutonic Panda
08-17-2013, 05:15 PM
The problem with OKC is that they are reactive and not proactive. Big box retailers are passing us up because of no space, big companies are passing us up because of no office space, limited parking, and not enough direct flights. It's a good problem to have, but the city will miss out on opportunities because developers won't step up and take a chance.I don't believe that. For one, there is PLENTY of space to build in OKC and if a retailer is seriously looking at OKC, I don't believe they would turn us down just because there isn't a pre-existing big box store available to use.

venture
08-18-2013, 09:39 AM
Is this a good or bad problem? Is it causing OKC to lose out on new retail?

http://www.oklahoman.com/article/3872925?embargo=1

The only reason why we don't have big box space anymore is because they all have been turned into "churches". LOL

Personally I think this a good problem to have. However for OKC specifically it might be bad if the surrounding cities and burbs have more available. I do have a hard time going with the thought that companies are bypassing the area because they don't want to build. For all of its faults, UNP is still churning out new big box development. I would also think some companies may want to utilize their own standardized design for a building instead of trying to adapt to an existing structure.