View Full Version : Leaving America - Where Would You Go?

Pages : 1 [2]

Prunepicker
11-13-2013, 07:59 PM
I found a place that just might be enticing enough - Melun...
Sounds good. I checked out a place in France that has good fly fishing
and is about 4 hours SW of Paris. Maisonnais sur Tardoire, France. I'd
rather be closer if only for medical care.

I'm getting the language down pretty good.

Just the facts
11-13-2013, 10:23 PM
Since I Got to go to Bora Bora for my honeymoon I am going to throw out a place from left field. And I don't even know if can even visit it. Id like to go take a tour of Pripyat, Ukraine and the nearby Chernobyl power station. Read a lot of books and seen plenty of shows on it. plus the computer games called Stalker are based there and ive spent too much time on those.

You can go to Pripyat. If you ever get the chance 3Net has a program called Forgotten Planet and Pripyat is one of the cities they feature. The show is in 3D which really brings it to life - so to speak.

Just the facts
11-13-2013, 10:25 PM
Sounds good. I checked out a place in France that has good fly fishing
and is about 4 hours SW of Paris. Maisonnais sur Tardoire, France. I'd
rather be closer if only for medical care.

I'm getting the language down pretty good.

We are taking a recon trip to France at the end of the year. I joke with the people at work that I may or may not come back and my youngest son is ready to move now (probably too much House Hunters International).

KayneMo
11-13-2013, 10:37 PM
Anywhere in England! I would absolutely love to go to England, the cities, towns, and countryside.

Mel
11-13-2013, 10:46 PM
The U.K. All of it. Although the flight to Australia or New Zealand would drive me insane. It would have to be on a airline that provides a Valium I.V. drip.

Dave Cook
11-14-2013, 02:04 AM
Interesting thread.

I've lived in Bangkok since 2010. Left Oklahoma in 1997. Spent nine years in Japan (loved Tokyo) and time in Vietnam before coming here.

I really love the laidback lifestyle here. Thai people are the friendilest I've ever come across and is the main reason why I relocated. Good food, great culture, friendly faces, respectful religion, top-notch and affordable healthcare, beautiful beaches....you name it. It's all here. You have the common third-world problems (internet issues, political instability, traffic jams, etc) but it's all fine. This video really captures the spirit of the country....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNN0702_QOA

One mild irritation I have is telling people back home I live in Thailand. It's similar to telling people I'm from Oklahoma. People across the country have so many misconceptions about Oklahoma. We're always having to defend our home state to people that have never and probably will never visit. Same thing happens with Thailand. You get the oddest looks from people in Oklahoma about life in Thailand. Ha! Not everybody that comes here is a drug smuggler or sex tourist. It's actually a great place to live.

To answer your question.....I'd still like to try a few other places. Have my eye on Santiago, Chile and Quito, Ecuador for some reason...but I've heard great things. Who knows....maybe one day Oklahoma City. I've heard great things.

Garin
11-15-2013, 07:18 PM
Belize for me it's also a tax haven.

ctchandler
11-16-2013, 10:27 AM
Pahdz,
Costa Rica has both. And the cost of living is very low, with universal healthcare. I really enjoyed my visit there. I never considered moving there since my family is in OKC, but you can live well with a maid/cook and gardner on Social Security. The wildlife is amazing.
C. T.
I hate the beach, I love the mountains.

I also would like Europe because soccer and track are more popular there. Love watching track, I'm probably one of 100 track fans in the US

Questor
11-17-2013, 08:00 PM
You know, it's interesting. When you take the landscape out of the equation, most of the places noted here are established towns with interesting architecture, and large community areas. Housing is often very close in and consists of many four and five story buildings. My first thought was of Swiss villages or South American cities, which also fit this bill.

It's just interesting because usually folks tend to talk about okc and urban success in terms of how many skyscrapers we can eventually cram downtown. Perhaps our priority should instead be on the things that make all the cities above so great.

Just the facts
11-17-2013, 08:28 PM
It is no secret what people like, we just seem to have a very hard time trying to build it here in America.

zookeeper
11-17-2013, 10:11 PM
It is no secret what people like, we just seem to have a very hard time trying to build it here in America.

I'd love any of the seven cities on this list (http://www.expatica.com/de/housing/renting/Where-to-live-in-Germany_18366.html) in the second greatest country in the world.

Prunepicker
11-17-2013, 10:15 PM
The more I think about it the more I want to live here.

Mississippi Blues
11-26-2013, 02:59 AM
Anywhere in Germany.

mkjeeves
12-28-2013, 06:39 PM
JTF pick up the white coutesy phone...this looks like it might be for you.
Galt's Gulch Chile Becomes First Libertarian Community Accepting Bitcoin (http://www.prweb.com/releases/galtsgulchchile/20131112/prweb11324365.htm)

Just the facts
01-06-2014, 05:20 PM
I just got back from France and I found a new place to add to my list; Melun, FR. Its about 20 miles southwest of Paris and is the last stop on the RER D line. This would allow me to get into central Paris in about 40 minutes plus provide front door service to Disneyland Paris. It is also on the TGV line so I could be on the Riviera in about 2 hours.

On a side note - I am going to have to look into Bitcoin. It is starting to become a lot more widespread and is an international currency.

PennyQuilts
01-06-2014, 06:45 PM
Confederate States of Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas blah, blah. I don't see leaving America unless I can take some of it with me.