View Full Version : Major kudos to Barry Switzer.

Achilleslastand
08-15-2013, 09:13 PM
Former coach Barry Switzer saves dog from sweltering car - College Football News | FOX Sports on MSN (http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball/story/barry-switzer-saves-dog-from-sweltering-car-081313)

To many in Texas and Oklahoma, Barry Switzer was already an icon, but last week, the former Cowboys and Sooners coach became a real-life hero when he rescued a puppy that was left in a hot car.

According to KJRH in Tulsa, Switzer found the Rottweiler in a hot van. The windows in the van were reportedly down, but Switzer still felt bad for the animal and removed it from the vehicle.

But the story didn’t end there. Once he had the pup in his custody, Switzer waited for the owner to return, bought the dog on the spot and took it to the vet for a checkup:

stick47
08-19-2013, 04:31 AM
Dog in a car. Windows down. Inside a car - In the shade. :headscrat
So Barry had just left his favorite bar? Sounds something like a WC Fields skit.

BBatesokc
08-19-2013, 05:00 AM
Dog in a car. Windows down. Inside a car - In the shade. :headscrat
So Barry had just left his favorite bar? Sounds something like a WC Fields skit.

Exactly. And, how do they get from dog inside car with the widows down to 'Switzer SAVES puppy!' And who called the media anyway? Surely it wasn't the person vaguely accused of animal cruelty, which only leaves............... (smells fishy to me)

kelroy55
08-19-2013, 08:28 AM
Locked car but the windows were down? There's a blonde joke in here somewhere lol Still a nice thing for him to do.

OKLAHOMA CITY - Former Dallas Cowboys and University of Oklahoma head coach Barry Switzer has found a new home for a dog he rescued Wednesday.

Switzer was walking into a store when he saw a Rottweiler puppy locked in a car.

"I noticed that it was a beautiful dog and I saw it was a puppy," Switzer said.

He waited for the owner to come out and convinced them to let him buy her. He then took her straight to the vet.

"I told the doc I want rabies shots, check for worms, everything," Switzer said. "They even clipped the toenails so it was a pedicure for her. She went to the spa."

He named the dog Stella but knew he wasn't going to keep her because he says he already has a pack of dogs.

Coach hand picked Stella's new owners -- a couple from Moore who lost their home in the May tornado.

Coach Barry Switzer saves puppy from locked car, hand picks Moore tornado victims as new owners (http://www.kjrh.com/dpp/news/local_news/Coach-Barry-Switzer-saves-puppy-from-locked-car-hand-picks-Moore-tornado-victims-as-new-owners)

BBatesokc
08-19-2013, 09:34 AM
Rumors like that are going to spread pretty easily. I don't think this calls for us to dust off the tin-foil hat just yet. Sounds like a plausible story that is getting hyped by by a college football website. I know we aren't used to reading hyped up, dramatic stories on college sports websites so I get the confusion.

I'm not saying it didn't happen (obviously it did). Lets just put it in perspective.

I have elderly relatives and they overreact to situations all the time - that doesn't make them newsworthy and certainly doesn't justify twisting the facts into something unrecognizable from the actual events.

This has gone from crazy old koot possibly steals dog from car to some made for Lifetime movie that could be entitled, 'Switzer's List - buying the freedom of neglect puppies one headline at a time.'

"Tin foil hats" - talk about hype.

What was reported is that Switzer somehow 'saved' a poor defenseless puppy from 'certain death' (yes a quote from a couple of articles) while locked in a sweltering car. Of course what most neglect to report is that the car's windows were down, and the puppy apparently showed no signs of dehydration or heat related distress and we have no idea how long the puppy was actually in the car (of death), which most likely means not long at all. Not to mention police nor animal welfare were called.

It was in the 80's that day. Plenty hot enough to do real harm had the dog been sealed up inside a car with the windows up and in the sun. But even though that's what the media would like you to envision, that's not the reality.

I had to go repair a garage door opener over the weekend. I left my dog in the car the entire time in the middle of the afternoon - my God call the dog cops! Oh yeah, I was parked in the shade, the windows were down, and I was only gone for 25 minutes and the dog couldn't have cared less. Guess I'm just lucky some passing jogger or wandering elderly neighbor did decide to 'save' my dog.

The only thing I find head-shaking is that a dog owner would just up and sell their puppy to some crazy old koot that is standing outside their car holding their property he obviously removed from their car.

How was this dog's situation any different than the thousands of dogs in dog houses all over this city? Switzer had better get his checkbook out, there's lots of puppies that apparently need sav'n!

** i get it...... Local sports icon + puppies = you'd better not question one bit of it.

soonerguru
08-19-2013, 02:52 PM
Don't be pickin' on Barry. He's the main man.

RadicalModerate
08-19-2013, 03:37 PM
Breaking News:
Tragedy was averted today because a dog's owner was not carrying--concealed or otherwise--when a well-known local sports celebrity attempted to steal a rotwieller puppy from the dog owner's unoccupied automobile. Reportedly, some sort of payment for silence was offered. Film at 6

rcjunkie
08-24-2013, 04:51 PM
Exactly. And, how do they get from dog inside car with the widows down to 'Switzer SAVES puppy!' And who called the media anyway? Surely it wasn't the person vaguely accused of animal cruelty, which only leaves............... (smells fishy to me)

If you had been hiding behind a tree with your video camera, you would have been on this like flies on dog crap!!!!