View Full Version : Edmond Chosen as States "Digital Capitol"

Plutonic Panda
08-14-2013, 11:01 PM
By Google: Google touts Edmond as state?s ?digital capital? » Local News » The Edmond Sun (http://www.edmondsun.com/local/x1664885477/Google-touts-Edmond-as-state-s-digital-capital)

'EDMOND — Google recognized Edmond on Wednesday as the 2013 eCity of Oklahoma for being the strongest online business community in the state. Edmond is one of a select few cities in the U.S. that won this award, said Google Okla. Data Center Operations Manager Mike Wooten'

Zuplar
08-15-2013, 08:11 AM
Select few? I mean it was one from each state. Must be a slow news day.

David
08-15-2013, 08:35 AM
The OKC and Edmond twitter accounts were snarking at each other about this yesterday, it was fairly funny.

https://twitter.com/cityofokc/status/367694660602306561

Anonymous.
08-15-2013, 10:31 AM
Now bring Google Fiber!

Plutonic Panda
08-15-2013, 01:12 PM
'Edmond Receives First Ever Google eCity Award for Oklahoma

Edmond, OK - Today, Google announced Edmond has been named the 2013 eCity of Oklahoma The eCity Awards recognize the strongest online business community in each state - the digital capitals of America. These cities’ businesses are embracing the web to find new customers, connect with existing clients and fuel their local economies.

“Our ‘eCity Awards’ recognize the new ‘digital capitals’ of America,’” said Scott Levitan, Google’s director of small-business engagement. “We’re proud to recognize this growing entrepreneurial spirit—and the role it plays in both creating jobs and sustaining local economies. With 97 percent of Internet-users looking for products and services online, it’s clear that success is about being connected.'

Read more here: Edmond, OK - Official Website (http://edmondok.com/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=202)

Plutonic Panda
08-15-2013, 01:18 PM
Select few? I mean it was one from each state. Must be a slow news day.In comparison to the number of cities in the country, Edmond is one of the select few. I don't see this story as a slow news story and I'm sure it would've been in the news if OKC would have got it.

TBH, I would've been more excited if they would've chosen Edmond with 5-10 cities out of 10,000 different candidates. This would make me hope for Google fiber in Edmond and OKC in general one day. But to me, this is not really of any significance unless Google is touting the possibility of putting it's fiber network in the chosen cities. But, you're right about there being 50 cities and that lessons the likability of getting fiber here. :(

kevinpate
08-15-2013, 03:21 PM
The OKC and Edmond twitter accounts were snarking at each other about this yesterday, it was fairly funny.

Second biggest laugh of my week.

First was after my grandson pulled a grinning 'not yet' routine a few times when I asked for a hug. Later, he wandered over, tapped my leg and said "Poppa?"
"Yes, Trent"
"NOW!" and dove into my lap for his hug.
Could.not.stop.laughing.

Snowman
08-15-2013, 07:04 PM

That is probably the most entertaining exchange either twitter account had this year

bchris02
08-15-2013, 07:15 PM
If Google runs fiber to Wichita, and then wants to run it to DFW (which is likely) it would make sense for them to come through OKC. So OKC may end up getting it because it happens to sit between Wichita and DFW. We can only hope. Google fiber would be a cool novelty for home users, but where it would really pull its weight is for business use.

Mel
08-15-2013, 08:06 PM
e-yawn

Plutonic Panda
08-15-2013, 08:18 PM
That's too bad. This is squarely what I do for a living and I can tell you, as much as Edmond deserves credit and all, they are not the most digital city in Oklahoma.Who is?

Plutonic Panda
08-15-2013, 08:48 PM
Good question but just from what I've seen I'd nominate Enid before Edmond.

After reading through the article twice it appears it is more of a fluff piece by Google. I assume there is an Apps deal with Edmond. That or a full fledged data center.Is Enid where one of Google's data centers is located and has city-wide wireless, unless I'm mistaking that for another town. You could be onto something there though.

Snowman
08-15-2013, 10:55 PM
Is Enid where one of Google's data centers is located and has city-wide wireless, unless I'm mistaking that for another town. You could be onto something there though.

That is either in or just outside Pryor.

Probably the only edge I might give Edmond over anywhere else in the metro or Enid would be that UCO has been stepping up the quality of their Computer Science program in recent years. I think the University of Tulsa was the only other one in the state on the same accreditation level last I had heard.

Plutonic Panda
08-16-2013, 01:11 AM
Ah, my bad. Part of me was thinking Enid and another was thinking that was incorrect lol. . .

Frustratedoptimist
08-16-2013, 08:27 AM
Edmond offers free WiFi downtown and on their Citylink express routes to OKC.

traxx
08-20-2013, 01:29 PM
Where do I sign up to take an e-tour of the e-capital?

Can the metro area put together some sort of deal to get Google fiber here? We could call it Google MAPS.

jerrywall
08-20-2013, 07:00 PM
The criteria seemed to be based on the online presence of businesses. "Online city" might have been more accurate.

From the official site -

"Edmond’s small business community is leading the way on the web in Oklahoma. This city’s public art murals, stained glass and sculptures attract visitors from near and far, and its online presence further builds awareness."

EvokeCoffee
09-03-2013, 04:32 PM
Late to the game but from what Google told us when they were here for the press conference was that it was a multi part deal:

1. Google took note of ad words use, and other "google" related activity

2. An outside data research firm conducted a study on things like business that have working websites, eCommerce and other online activity

3. Took that info and looked at it in a proportional formula to even the grounds and came out with the winners of each state.

I have no idea how that all works but that is what they told us (in simplified terms of course)