View Full Version : Walmart

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11

SoonerDave
10-05-2016, 10:50 AM
Target needs to open in that area since the store on 44th and Western shut down.

Given that very fact, I think the long-held rumors about a Target down there might actually get fulfilled this time around. I always thought their proximity to the big Target down in Moore would preclude it, but these days, who knows. I can't fathom WM putting a grocery store at SW 134th and May with a new "big" WM at 104th and I-44. So what do I know.

Zuplar
10-05-2016, 10:52 AM
Saw this on FB, got to admit, that's pretty corny.

http://i.imgur.com/XQSejRr.jpg

Zuplar
10-06-2016, 08:50 AM
Needed gas last night so I figured why not go check it out. At 8:40pm last night the parking lot was full. If you build it they will come. Just funny cause you hear so many people griping about Walmart, but yet everyone still goes. For me, I like it, but then again I'm a Walmart stockholder.

Of note the service road is not all the way open to 89th. It's blocked off currently right past the Walmart entrance on the road. Not sure if it's not complete or what the reasoning is.

Nugyar
10-06-2016, 09:01 AM
I drove by around 9:30 yesterday morning (on I-44) and noticed the parking lot was practically overflowing. It was probably when they were doing their ribbon cutting or whatever - but I was surprised to see it THAT crowded on a weekday morning, grand opening or not! I'll probably wait a week or so before checking it out.

Still curious as to what is going in next to the credit union that shows 'under contract'. :)

Jeepnokc
10-06-2016, 09:17 AM
Needed gas last night so I figured why not go check it out. At 8:40pm last night the parking lot was full. If you build it they will come. Just funny cause you hear so many people griping about Walmart, but yet everyone still goes. For me, I like it, but then again I'm a Walmart stockholder.

Of note the service road is not all the way open to 89th. It's blocked off currently right past the Walmart entrance on the road. Not sure if it's not complete or what the reasoning is.

We went by at 1 am and the lot was pretty empty. As far as the service road, I am under the impression that PB Odom put that road in himself (he owns the land), so he may not be wanting all the traffic yet until he gets it a little more developed. <--pure speculation on my part

SoonerDave
10-06-2016, 09:48 AM
We went by at 1 am and the lot was pretty empty. As far as the service road, I am under the impression that PB Odom put that road in himself (he owns the land), so he may not be wanting all the traffic yet until he gets it a little more developed. <--pure speculation on my part

Someone whose insights/opinions/info I trust relayed that Odom had put in that road somewhat speculatively because there was talk/negotiation/rumblings (pick your favorite word) that a hotel wanted to land on that side of I-44, but lamented the lack of service road access....hence, in went the road. The hotel, quite obviously, never materialized.

I wish we could get *one* nice, pleasant, sit-down, non-fast-food restaurant option in that area. I don't even mind a chain...Cheddars would be fine with me. I just get tired of a Taco Something going on nearly every empty ten-square-foot parcel of land that pops open.

We've got Victoria's Pasta Shop just a bit farther east on SW 104th, but I've never been a fan; and Arby's is going in at the corner (oh, joy). There's a Pub W going in a bit farther south on May, so that's a hopeful sign...

Zuplar
10-06-2016, 10:58 AM
I'm with you Dave, would love to have a Cheddars in the area.

tfvc.org
10-06-2016, 03:02 PM
Since I work nights/weekends at the MMAC I would love to see something like a Chili's or S and B and a coffee shop open up. Everything on campus closes before I go to work so I am always having to bring lunch. My lunch break is only 30 minutes and having to go to May and back is right around 30 minutes if there isn't a long wait. At least on Portland I will get about 10 minutes and can call ahead at a sit down, or I can pick something up on my way to work.

emtefury
10-06-2016, 09:06 PM
Walmart is slowing growth of its stores and instead focus on e-commerce. Let's hope OKC has no growth. I don't mind Walmart. We just have enough in OKC.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/wal-mart-provides-lackluster-profit-outlook-1475757214

btmec
10-29-2016, 10:04 AM
I wanted to post this exact same thing. Its tough sometimes to find these threads unless I post meaningless comments in them and find them that way.

It seems that you and I are the only ones. :mad:

Nugyar
11-02-2016, 09:18 AM
It seems that you and I are the only ones. :mad:

Nope! I would be on board with that as well! I live off of 119th and half the info I find is by accident because there are either no labels or things get lumped in together with either S OKC or Moore topics. #MakeFarSouthOKC a thing... ;)

SoonerDave
11-02-2016, 09:41 AM
Nope! I would be on board with that as well! I live off of 119th and half the info I find is by accident because there are either no labels or things get lumped in together with either S OKC or Moore topics. #MakeFarSouthOKC a thing... ;)

I'll second that 110% #MakeFarSouthOKC a thing!!

I realize to most its a nuisance issue, but for me its frustrating - as a lifelong south-side resident, it drives me *nuts* when someone lumps where I live into the Moore area. Why? Because I don't live in Moore, Never have. That's not a knock on Moore - its just a fact. I realize why it happens - school district overlap, streets, neighborhoods - I get it. Doesn't change the fact that I live in OKC, pay OKC utilities, and vote in OKC municipal elections - not Moore's - any more than I do Edmond.

By the same token, when I see something that says "S. OKC," and open it up - only to find it's something to do with SW 29th (for example) and bears little to no relevance to me, it just hammers home the point.

So, in that vein, ABSOLUTELY, let me throw my support for a #FarSouthOKC subforum. Long overdue IMO.

94GTStang
11-03-2016, 11:08 PM
I'm guessing that new building would be a Panda Expeess just like the one that is in front of the i240 location. As my parents live off 104th and may, I'm really excited to see this area finally coming up. Though they do worry about the increased traffic.

SoonerDave
11-04-2016, 07:44 AM
I'm guessing that new building would be a Panda Expeess just like the one that is in front of the i240 location. As my parents live off 104th and may, I'm really excited to see this area finally coming up. Though they do worry about the increased traffic.

The new building going up in front of WM is a Taco Bell. It's the only exterior site with a building permit at this point other than the credit union.

94GTStang
11-05-2016, 09:34 AM
The new building going up in front of WM is a Taco Bell. It's the only exterior site with a building permit at this point other than the credit union.
Sweet! I'm sure it'll be busy!

SoonerDave
11-07-2016, 08:17 AM

Hey FWIW I've tossed my support behind a FarSouthOKC forum and tossed the idea to Pete. Obviously he has to assess if its worth the effort and then do all the heavy lifting to make it work so we'll see how it goes, but at least the idea is out there :) :)

btmec
11-10-2016, 10:54 PM
Hey FWIW I've tossed my support behind a FarSouthOKC forum and tossed the idea to Pete. Obviously he has to assess if its worth the effort and then do all the heavy lifting to make it work so we'll see how it goes, but at least the idea is out there :) :)

Thanks for tossing in your hat as well. I agree that everything I click on that is South OKC has to do with areas around SW 29th, SW 44th, or SW 74th.

Pete
11-22-2016, 04:32 PM
I have given a bunch of praise for Sam's Club for their technology (Scan & Go is brilliant) and their generally great location at 39th & May (don't care for the others nearly as much).

But, until Winco arrives I still have the need for a regular grocery stores for occasions like Thanksgiving, where I need a little bit of tons of things, many of which I don't buy at any other time.

So, off I go to the Walmart Neighborhood Market on 23rd & Penn. I don't like the store much but it's okay, open 24 hours, has good prices and is a million times better than trying to by groceries at one of their super centers.

I even downloaded their app to help me find these odd items while in the store... And it was a major fail. Nothing was on the right aisle; one aisle number wasn't even found in the store.

I was hoping the NM had taken the same sort of leap as Sam's Club and therefore earning a place in my rotation even with the new options. But without that feature, it's just another big grocery store where it's almost impossible to find small items and there is absolutely no help in finding them.

bradh
11-22-2016, 05:16 PM
i didn't know they had an app that helped you with that, i will try that at the 164th and Western store where we shop sometimes. Surprisingly, NM has a few things that are seemingly missing for me at Crest and Homeland, but then of course missing some others.

SouthSide
12-19-2016, 09:53 PM
A building permit request was submitted for a Starbucks at 10515 S. May Ave. It's not by the Wal-Mart but close at least.

Martin
12-20-2016, 06:38 AM
interesting... that'd have to be an outparcel of crest and somewhere north of mcdonald's.

SoonerDave
12-20-2016, 09:12 AM
interesting... that'd have to be an outparcel of crest and somewhere north of mcdonald's.

Almost has to be right there on the corner?

Nugyar
01-05-2017, 03:33 PM
The permit title says "Starbucks - SW 104th and May" - so yeah, it's probably on that corner north of McDonalds. Personally I don't care which corner they shove it into - I'm just excited to have a starbucks so close!

Zuplar
01-05-2017, 03:52 PM
The permit title says "Starbucks - SW 104th and May" - so yeah, it's probably on that corner north of McDonalds. Personally I don't care which corner they shove it into - I'm just excited to have a starbucks so close!

Agreed.

Zuplar
01-09-2017, 01:50 PM
I drive by this on a regular basis, but I guess I have completely missed the Taco Bell that looks done now and the Credit Union that is close. Has anything else been announced for this area?

Nugyar
01-17-2017, 10:02 AM
A realtor I know told me that a Petsmart is planned for the parcel of land just North of Walmart - but I don't see any permits and can't find anything in the usual places that would verify that rumor, so .... ya know, grain of salt. ;)

Zuplar
01-17-2017, 12:03 PM
I also noticed in some recent city planning commission docs, that it appears someone is trying to develop everything in this area that isn't owned by Walmart. That could very well be part of what you are talking about, or maybe more to come in general for this area. All I know is that the 4 stop lights in a row aren't synced and it makes it a mess trying to get through this with any speed.

SoonerDave
01-17-2017, 01:56 PM
I also noticed in some recent city planning commission docs, that it appears someone is trying to develop everything in this area that isn't owned by Walmart. That could very well be part of what you are talking about, or maybe more to come in general for this area. All I know is that the 4 stop lights in a row aren't synced and it makes it a mess trying to get through this with any speed.

Any big-box retailers in the area other than WM?

Zuplar
01-17-2017, 02:26 PM
Nothing specific currently, but I'd bet at some point there is going to be some.

BLJR
01-18-2017, 07:47 AM
Good info Zuplar. What do you think will come of the other side of 44, where they have the fancy street lights and nice road already in place???

Nugyar
01-18-2017, 09:10 AM
I saw those planning docs when I was poking around yesterday also (looking to where that Petsmart rumor came from - didn't find anything). One of the commercial real estate sites showed that the space next to the new credit union was under contract - but I wasn't able to find out who bought it. All of those lots are owned by I-Forty Four Development - which is an entity of the larger Raptor Properties. Raptor is the company that bought Crossroads mall back in 2011. From the planning meeting docs, it states that there are 10 commercial lots to the North of Walmart and 7 to the south and west (west being in front of walmart, facing the access road). So far I haven't been caught in any traffic over there - but with 17 new stores on that one corner alone, I can't imagine what traffic will look like in a few years. I'm picturing the intersection at Penn and Memorial that takes 3 light cycles to get through in any direction though. :(

I went back through all of the marketing materials that the airport has released for their "Lariat Landing" proposed plan on the other side of I-44, but nothing has changed - they're still pitching it as a vision of something similar to the area in Norman where the Super Target is. But I haven't seen anything in planning commission meetings relating to that area yet. But - hey, maybe I'll do some digging on that today - sounds more interesting than actually working. ;)

BLJR
01-18-2017, 10:13 AM
Good intel!!! It appears that both sides of 44 will eventually have something. I live at SW 119th and Meridian, and I am hoping that this area turns into a happy medium of some sort. Right now, we trek over to Moore area when dining out. I look forward to a variety of restaurants in the area, but I don't want this area to turn into another SW19th and I-35 (Moore) type of monster.

Zuplar
01-18-2017, 10:29 AM
Good intel!!! It appears that both sides of 44 will eventually have something. I live at SW 119th and Meridian, and I am hoping that this area turns into a happy medium of some sort. Right now, we trek over to Moore area when dining out. I look forward to a variety of restaurants in the area, but I don't want this area to turn into another SW19th and I-35 (Moore) type of monster.

I'm about 3 miles West of you and right now we go mostly to Mustang, for day to day things, but really like going over to Moore cause of all the variety. I'm in agreeance with you that I hope they figure out how to make it all work, cause it will be nice to have some of the amenities closer.

Goon
01-27-2017, 03:36 PM

WF...represent!

I echo the sentiments. I (obviously) live in the area as well, and posted in this or another thread that the building of a Starbucks, BWW and some unique food/retail would stop me from ever going to Moore. Hope Lariat Landing becomes a reality.

Zuplar
01-27-2017, 03:49 PM
WF...represent!

I echo the sentiments. I (obviously) live in the area as well, and posted in this or another thread that the building of a Starbucks, BWW and some unique food/retail would stop me from ever going to Moore. Hope Lariat Landing becomes a reality.

Agreed with all of this.

Pete
01-30-2017, 07:46 AM
The Walmart at 2nd & Bryant in Edmond is getting a $1MM renovation.

BBatesokc
01-30-2017, 05:39 PM
The Walmart at 2nd & Bryant in Edmond is getting a $1MM renovation.

The Neighborhood Market?

Pete
01-30-2017, 05:49 PM
The Neighborhood Market?

Sorry, yes.

BBatesokc
01-31-2017, 03:50 AM
Wish Walmarts would go to a Scan & Go app like Sam's. I could have sworn that a year ago or so there were tiny signs near some of the registers that announced that capability was 'coming soon' to Walmart. The signs went away and the app never emerged.

I specifically recall seeing it at the I-35 location in Edmond on a police near the register in the garden center. Weird.

I use it to bypass the 12 deep lines at Sam's all the time.

bradh
01-31-2017, 05:10 AM
The Wal Mart Pay feature is nice though

Pete
01-31-2017, 05:40 AM
Wish Walmarts would go to a Scan & Go app like Sam's. I could have sworn that a year ago or so there were tiny signs near some of the registers that announced that capability was 'coming soon' to Walmart. The signs went away and the app never emerged.

I specifically recall seeing it at the I-35 location in Edmond on a police near the register in the garden center. Weird.

I use it to bypass the 12 deep lines at Sam's all the time.

Walmart tested it and decided to only implement at Sam's.

I'm sure one of the huge issues is shoplifting.

Ginkasa
01-31-2017, 07:43 AM
Walmart tested it and decided to only implement at Sam's.

I'm sure one of the huge issues is shoplifting.

I don't know if this is chain wide, but the Moore 19th St. location at least has now posted checkers at the exits to verify receipts for that reason.

Pete
01-31-2017, 08:30 AM
Sam's is a different animal because they only let cardholders in the front door, the volume of people is much less, and the purchased items tend to a few large things rather than a bunch of small things.

The fewer items makes it very easy to check and verify.

BBatesokc
01-31-2017, 09:01 AM
I don't know if this is chain wide, but the Moore 19th St. location at least has now posted checkers at the exits to verify receipts for that reason.

Yeah, there are lots of videos online of people refusing to show their receipt at Walmart as they leave. A few involve police showing up. In each case I watched (lost interest after a few) the police tell the Walmart employee they can't detain the customer and to let them go.

Sam's can require it because its in the membership agreement.

WalMart I guess could tell someone they can't come back on their property - but that would be ripe for a civil suit IMO.

Ginkasa
01-31-2017, 10:55 AM
Sam's is a different animal because they only let cardholders in the front door, the volume of people is much less, and the purchased items tend to a few large things rather than a bunch of small things.

The fewer items makes it very easy to check and verify.

To clarify, I was referring to Walmart having started this practice recently.

BBatesokc
01-31-2017, 03:21 PM
To clarify, I was referring to Walmart having started this practice recently.

If you mean "Walmart recently started checking (or at least asking to) receipts randomly as people leave" -- that's not new (from a corporate standpoint). They've been doing that for many years.

Ginkasa
01-31-2017, 03:43 PM
If you mean "Walmart recently started checking (or at least asking to) receipts randomly as people leave" -- that's not new (from a corporate standpoint). They've been doing that for many years.

I guess I hadn't noticed until now.

bradh
01-31-2017, 05:37 PM
Scan and Go would never work at Wal-Mart, and shouldn't be. If you think check out lines are long now, wait till you have someone checking through an entire basket of stuff at Wal-Mart.

Bill Robertson
01-31-2017, 09:00 PM
Actually, they checked receipts for years. Then stopped for a while as a 1) cost savings by not having a person at the exit and 2) showing trust in their customers. I guess it didn't work out and they started again.

SSEiYah
02-01-2017, 10:47 PM
Walmart would greatly benefit in paying their employees 20% more, I think if if their employees were proud to work there, they may actually help the customers.

Compare your interaction with a Walmart Employee with a Lowes or Home Depot employee for example, Lowes/Home Depot does not pay very well but its around 10-20% better than Walmart. Sure its still barely a living wage but typically in my experience the guys/gals at Lowes/Home Depot are way, way better. You walk into a home depot, walk around and you will be asked by employee typically within minutes of arriving if you need help finding something. You walk down another isle and another yet employee will ask you if you need help finding something. Its a completely different experience than Walmart, it seems you have to "find an employee". Once you find one they say "well I dont work in that department, you need to find someone that works in that department" is the automatic response.

Its a mess, if we are talking groceries, I go to a Crest which usually has the same prices or less, I can ask an employee where something is and they usually know the isle number where something is. Good luck finding that at a Walmart Supercenter. Even the "night stockers" at Crest who are plain dressed, probably fresh on the job know where stuff is and are friendly, they will say "its over by the baking stuff probably isle 8 or 9". You dont see that kinda "customer service" at Walmart, because well, good luck finding an employee in the grocery section to even help you find something.

BBatesokc
02-02-2017, 04:28 PM
Scan and Go would never work at Wal-Mart, and shouldn't be. If you think check out lines are long now, wait till you have someone checking through an entire basket of stuff at Wal-Mart.

Ehhh, not buying that (no pun intended). Amazon is already testing it in B&M stores and self-checkout at Walmart is just one step away from scan-and-go.

Shoplifting is already an issue at the self checkout, so it's not like they've solved a problem up to now.

If Amazon's model catches on, Walmart will have to adapt.

If I could Scan-and-Go at Walmart or Target, I'd shop there more often (though honestly Target rarely has a line when I go).

Brett
02-05-2017, 02:05 PM
This may have already been mentioned on the forum but for any nightcrawlers out there you might want to check to see if your local SuperCenter or Neighborhood Market has recently changed their hours of operation. I was surprised to see that the Wal-Mart SuperCenter located at I-40 and MacArthur has changed from 24hrs.of operation to 6am to midnight.

riflesforwatie
02-12-2017, 10:13 AM
This may have already been mentioned on the forum but for any nightcrawlers out there you might want to check to see if your local SuperCenter or Neighborhood Market has recently changed their hours of operation. I was surprised to see that the Wal-Mart SuperCenter located at I-40 and MacArthur has changed from 24hrs.of operation to 6am to midnight.

Same at the Belle Isle Supercenter. I was in there this morning and noticed signs reflecting the change due to "changes in demand". I believe it said the change takes effect February 17th but I just saw it at a glance so I could be wrong on the date.

BBatesokc
02-12-2017, 11:23 AM

Hope the Edmond Walmart at East 15th and I-35 doesn't reduce their hours. I actually prefer to shop extremely early in the morning and avoid any lines. (like 4am early).

Teo9969
02-12-2017, 11:05 PM
Belle Isle Wal-Mart is definitely closed Midnight - 6 a.m.

found that out the hard way last night trying to get in at 12:15

Bunty
02-12-2017, 11:21 PM
Hope the Edmond Walmart at East 15th and I-35 doesn't reduce their hours. I actually prefer to shop extremely early in the morning and avoid any lines. (like 4am early).

At 4am, are they still busy restocking the store and doing floor maintenance?

BBatesokc
02-13-2017, 12:53 PM

They are often storing shelves, but that doesn't affect me in any way. I don't want to deal with the customers or the lines at checkout.

traxx
02-13-2017, 01:03 PM

That's a round the clock occurrence at my Walmart. I spend more time having to navigate around Walmart employees than other shoppers. And they don't even try to move out the way or say excuse me, sir.

Anonymous.
02-13-2017, 01:53 PM
That's a round the clock occurrence at my Walmart. I spend more time having to navigate around Walmart employees than other shoppers. And they don't even try to move out the way or say excuse me, sir.

Most people that work overnight stocking retail gradually lose their souls/never had one. I did this exact thing for a few years when I was younger, eventually you develop a relationship with your box knife and that's about all you have.

Pete
02-15-2017, 06:20 AM
The new pickup facility at Council & NW Expressway:

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/walmart021417.jpg