View Full Version : Internet in 1997

Geographer
08-13-2013, 07:30 AM
The Morning Animals on WWLS were playing clips from this video and I just absolutely had to go find the video...and here it is..in all of its 90's glory.

THE INTERNET:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A81IwlDeV6c#at=48

Martin
08-13-2013, 08:09 AM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-o9MGphc_jgw/UVSo11dql8I/AAAAAAAALIo/IWWSBoxTDFg/s1600/thumbs-up.gif

RadicalModerate
08-13-2013, 08:10 AM
I thought the 90's were more "modern" than that . . .

"Since I got on the Internet I don't want to do anything else!"
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lm5qucHXmS1qhm9aso1_500.jpg

traxx
08-13-2013, 09:19 AM
Love this comment: Rumor has it the Jamison family recently chatted with a black man right outside their home!

Bunty
08-13-2013, 10:37 AM
The Morning Animals on WWLS were playing clips from this video and I just absolutely had to go find the video...and here it is..in all of its 90's glory.

THE INTERNET:
The Kids' Guide to the Internet - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A81IwlDeV6c#at=48)

They were smart and advanced back then for not getting online by using AOL.

RadicalModerate
08-13-2013, 11:14 AM
Back in about '93, I had a stack of AOL CD's that I used for coasters.
I'm thinking about taking them to Antiques Roadshow the next time the crew is in town.

traxx
08-13-2013, 02:01 PM
In the song at the end, does she say "in cyberspace, sex is free?"

I'm gonna have that song stuck in my head all day now.

zookeeper
08-13-2013, 02:17 PM
Love this comment: Rumor has it the Jamison family recently chatted with a black man right outside their home!

The video is funny on its own without bringing racial remarks into the conversation. It's like there's something wrong to be white, have children, live in a nice home.

RadicalModerate
08-13-2013, 02:39 PM
The video is funny on its own without bringing racial remarks into the conversation. It's like there's something wrong to be white, have children, live in a nice home.
"Damn straight" . . .
http://epguides.com/LeaveIttoBeaver/cast.jpg
"Oops . . . We mean Darn Tootin'" . . .

windowphobe
08-13-2013, 04:56 PM
In 1997, my first Web site celebrated its first anniversary.

RadicalModerate
08-14-2013, 07:32 AM
The Internet in 2027

"Now that I've gotten on the Internet, I'd rather be part of my computer than doing anything else!"
http://www.startrek.com/legacy_media/images/200509/ds9-401-locutus-at-wolf359-02/320x240.jpg
"Resistance was futile."

Geographer
08-14-2013, 07:38 AM
In the song at the end, does she say "in cyberspace, sex is free?"

I'm gonna have that song stuck in my head all day now.

I THINK it says "sex-free"....advertising how the internet is "safe from sex"? haha.

Servicetech571
08-16-2013, 12:33 PM
1995 was a big year for the PC to be used in residences. You can thank Bill Gates and Windows 95 for that. Prior to Windows 95 few people had PC's for personal use.

ctchandler
08-16-2013, 01:59 PM
ST571,
I think you might be surprised. There were a lot of folks running Windows 3.0-3.1, and before that, there were a lot of DOS applications available, Quicken, TurboTax, games, word processing products. The home pc became very popular in the mid/late eighties. And I know you said "pcs", but a lot of people had an Apple or an Atari, or even a Commodore. Now, I'm a computer person so I was using them at home in 1982. Before that, I was taking home a work unit, one was an Execuport, the other a Texas Instruments Silent 700. Windows 95 was the first decent Windows "OS", but it still had lots of problems. However, it did help get a lot more people on the home computer band wagon.
C. T.
1995 was a big year for the PC to be used in residences. You can thank Bill Gates and Windows 95 for that. Prior to Windows 95 few people had PC's for personal use.

Just the facts
08-16-2013, 03:09 PM
My first PC was a Leading Edge Model D with dual 5 1/4 floppy drives bought in 1988. I was using an Apple and an IBM P/S2 in high school before that. The first program I used on a regular basis was WordPerfect 4.0. When Window 3.1 came out I remember my mom trying to explain it to me (she worked for a small software company at the time). No matter how many ways she tried to explain it I could never understand it until I saw it.

The first time I connected to a remote computer was at OU in 1992. It was so great not having to go to the computer lab since we lived near Sooner Mall.

Servicetech571
08-17-2013, 06:36 AM
ST571,
I think you might be surprised. There were a lot of folks running Windows 3.0-3.1, and before that, there were a lot of DOS applications available, Quicken, TurboTax, games, word processing products. The home pc became very popular in the mid/late eighties. And I know you said "pcs", but a lot of people had an Apple or an Atari, or even a Commodore. Now, I'm a computer person so I was using them at home in 1982. Before that, I was taking home a work unit, one was an Execuport, the other a Texas Instruments Silent 700. Windows 95 was the first decent Windows "OS", but it still had lots of problems. However, it did help get a lot more people on the home computer band wagon.
C. T.

My point exactly, you were a geek back then and owned a PC. Less than 25% of the population had a "PC" in thier home prior to 1995. Once windows 95 came out the home PC market exploded and people were buying PC's like crazy. Around Y2K prices dropped and high speed internet became commonplace, once that happened PC's in homes was closer to 75%.

Bunty
08-18-2013, 08:31 PM
My point exactly, you were a geek back then and owned a PC. Less than 25% of the population had a "PC" in thier home prior to 1995. Once windows 95 came out the home PC market exploded and people were buying PC's like crazy. Around Y2K prices dropped and high speed internet became commonplace, once that happened PC's in homes was closer to 75%.
Yeah, I didn't get my first computer until early 1996.

traxx
08-20-2013, 01:14 PM
There were plenty of people that had Windows 3.1 systems but I would agree that the PC market exploded with Windows 95 and then kept rolling with tech getting cheaper and bandwidth growing and becoming less expensive.

It'll be interesting to see how short lived the PC era is/was. I know that the death of the PC has been predicted for many years and although I don't see it going away completely for quite some time, I think we're definitely moving into a post PC era. People want to be mobile now days. Most homes will probably continue to have at least a laptop in addition to their mobile devices for the next 7-10 years. Some will even have a desktop. But the PC will become less mainstream for consumers. PCs (in desktop form) will probably remain business for longer. Probably in the next 20 years or so there will be a market disruptor that will cause businesses to move away from the desktop.