View Full Version : All Time Favorite Rock Tunes or Concerts.

Prunepicker
08-12-2013, 11:46 PM
This is one of my faves of all time. The energy is tremendous.
The performance is even better. I wish I could have been there.

Humble Pie I Don't Need No Doctor

0lxyRjzXvxo

RadicalModerate
08-13-2013, 12:04 AM
I didn't see them at The Fillmore East, but I did see them at The Denver Arena not long after.
They did pretty much the same set. I liked it when I was approching 19.
Today . . . maybe not so cutting edge. =)
yikRiiMSymo

Prunepicker
08-13-2013, 12:51 AM
I attended a private school in the 60's. This is a tune that I heard
"through the wall" because a classmate had an 8 track and could
sleep through anything. If he wasn't playing "On Time" it was
"Court of the Crimson King". Those two LP's are indelibly engraved
in my mind.

Here's a sample of Grand Funk...

JoGU6uTgGpA

I'll post some other tunes of my youth. LOL!

Prunepicker
08-13-2013, 12:54 AM
Okay, here's "In the Court of the Crimson King".

Deal with it. I'm a huge Greg Lake fan. Hey, he's a bassist.

.H678XUB77OA

RadicalModerate
08-13-2013, 01:00 AM
I gave away my copy of that LP (In the Court of the Crimson King) to my brother as a birthday present several years ago.
He still has a turntable. Never uses it, but . . . I suppose that is part and parcel of being a "21st Century SkitZoid (sic) Man" =)

I was at a concert supporting this album somewhere in OKC when it (the record) was new. My boss at the time bought tickets for the entire crew. It was memorable . . . (obviously)

WYq2iXXxOKY

And before that, there was The Red Rocks Riot Concert featuring Livingston Taylor and this little ol' band from England not long after the release of this album . . . (i got tear gassed but not arrested. i was a ticket holder not a gate crasher =)
wUEA5NWlQU0

RadicalModerate
08-13-2013, 10:43 AM
I saw this guy at Tulagi when he and I were both much younger and when the hat he wore was a lot more "country".
He started the show sitting on a stool playing some kalimba riffs.
A kalimba is the famous African thumb piano from "Daktari" . . .
8mVWWmIXKxk

Saw Linda R at the same venue.
She spent about half the concert bitching about too many people in the audience smoking. Tobacco.
Her pedal steel player on "Silver Threads and Golden Needles" had the longest hair on a dude I'd ever seen.
And this was in Boulder, Co in the late 60s.
A0qm8nq8RcA

Saw this bunch there too.
Vassar Clements played fiddle that night.
Earl Scruggs wore a suit and tie.
pH0FmUV4gkM

Oops . . . Just realized you said ROCK tune or concert . . .
Never saw these guys live but this is one of my favorite ROCK songs of all time
wlq0lYB3iSM

Prunepicker
08-13-2013, 06:08 PM
I saw Linda Ronstadt In Santa Fe with George Lucas. She was
visiting and not performing. It was in the Square and standing
outside of Dunlap's, or something close. I was with a girlfriend
at the time. Well as luck would have it, Linda raised her skirt to
clean her sunglasses. I told my friend to "Take the picture! Take
the picture!" She waited until she dropped her skirt. Dang! Oh,
the flash went off and Lucas took her arm and said, "let's get
outta here!"

Prunepicker
08-13-2013, 06:12 PM
I didn't see them at The Fillmore East, but I did see them at The
Denver Arena not long after. They did pretty much the same set.
I liked it when I was approching 19. Today . . . maybe not so
cutting edge. =)
I believe I attended more Zappa concerts than any. One had
Jean Luc Ponty and George Duke in the band. Everybody had a
wah wah solo, including the clarinet player. Zappa was noted for
performing the LP that was going to be released. Then a medley of
20 or so fan faves.

Mel
08-13-2013, 09:06 PM
I wish I could have seen Zappa in concert.

RadicalModerate
08-13-2013, 09:26 PM
At one point in the performance Frank acted like someone had thrown some sort of vegetable at the stage and had hit his guitar. He seemed to be so pissed off and so angry that the entire audience got real quiet. Then he said, "Speaking of vegetables . . ." and the large ensemble launched into one of his compositions involving vegetables. At the end of the show, Flo and Eddie unexpectedly performed "Happy Together" which was one of the biggest hits of their former band The Turtles. It was a night to remember. =)

Here's another Zappa favorite of mine. Just as true today as it was when it was new.
girnJH7tvpM

Achilleslastand
08-13-2013, 09:34 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6cplMM3d_Q
I don't know if you've ever heard Steve Vai's story about his audition for Zappa but here it is.
Its pretty funny.

RadicalModerate
08-13-2013, 09:40 PM
If there was still a Like button, I would click it.

Achilleslastand
08-13-2013, 10:18 PM
Not sure if anyone here has heard of Terry Reid? He was Jimmy Pages first choice to be the frontman/singer for Led Zeppelin but couldn't due to contractual reasons.
Seed of Memory

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgshmDZGZaA

Achilleslastand
08-13-2013, 10:19 PM
To be Treated

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amObTuA9cyg

Prunepicker
08-13-2013, 10:30 PM
I never saw Steve Vai with Zappa. Dang.

He's quite a musician.

kelroy55
08-14-2013, 06:26 AM
I wish I could have seen Zappa in concert.

I did and it was a great concert. I got to meet Zappa after the concert and he signed my ticket and like a dumbass I lost it somewhere over the years.

RadicalModerate
08-14-2013, 07:48 AM
I saw Jimmy Buffett and the original Coral Reefer Band at the Lloyd Noble center about 25+ years ago.
Seems like only yesterday . . .
RhOYcZsD-To

Achilleslastand
08-15-2013, 10:46 AM
Im sure most people think the show must go on is a three dog night song but actually its a Leo Sayer composition written by Leo a year before Three Dog Night covered it.
The original is superior in every way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6gEkfwozhE

kelroy55
08-15-2013, 11:18 AM
Leo Sayer had several hits and did some good songs.

OKCisOK4me
08-15-2013, 01:18 PM
Im gonna bring some new flavor to this thread. I have not been to a ton of concerts but for what I've been to its a tie. Best widest array of bands at one concert, Ozzfest '98 in Kansas City. Best overall experience, Page & Plant at "Myriad" Convention Center, downtown.

You guys will probably think this is lame but Creed is my second place finisher. Saw them twice. Before they were big at Kattfest in Bricktown behind the brewery and at Lloyd Noble Center (where one of the ceiling tiles fell from the roof and nearly hit Scott Stapp).

ctchandler
08-15-2013, 01:38 PM
Nobody put an "age" restriction on this, so the two "concerts" I enjoyed the most are a rock and roll show in the mid-fifties with about seven singers or groups. Fats Domino, Chuck Barry, Jerry Lee Lewis, Little Richard, The Platters, Brenda Lee, and others that escape me at the moment. What a show! A little later in my life, my wife and I went to see the Four Seasons. They were great and the crowd was so good, they wouldn't leave the stage, their encore just kept on and on until the management had to come out and stop the show because there were people outside waiting for the second show. It started about fifteen minutes late.
C. T.

RadicalModerate
08-15-2013, 03:01 PM
Those were all before my time . . . except on PBS/OETA . . . =)
(yet ANOTHER reason to support public broadcasting)

(I DID get to see Flash Cadillac and The Continental Kids at Tulagi before Sha Na Na ever existed . . . =)

Twice at The Zoo Amphitheater . . . once at Frontier City
EkaKwXddT_I

BlackmoreRulz
08-15-2013, 07:10 PM
Saw this lineup at the Incomparable Myriad in 77 or 78, the guitar god himself with the late Cozy Powell and Ronnie James Dio, backing up REO Speedwagon. Not sure if the REO fans quite knew what to think when Ritchie started destroying his Strat.....absolutely incredible show.
3RiJKuYvy0s

Top 5 concerts I saw in the OKC area:

1. The afore mentioned Rainbow, Dio's voice just boomed

2. Queen, in support of the release of "Live Killers". Freddie Mercury was such a great entertainer

3. Jethro Tull at the Fairgrounds Arena in support of the "Thick as a Brick" album 73 or 74

4. REO Speedwagon and Foreigner at the Civic Center, there was an opening act that night that gained quite a bit of recognition later in their careers called Judas Priest but this was before they found leather and studs. 1977 I think

5. Black Sabbath at the Lloyd Noble Center in support of "Heaven & Hell". Anyone have the exact date of this show? It's not listed on sabbath tours, and I know I was at the concert.

RadicalModerate
08-15-2013, 07:25 PM
I was at an REO Speedwagon concert at The Myriad a couple of years before that.
We sat way, way up in the stands, directly in line with those giant, megaphone speakers.
I thought that was called "the nosebleed section" but the only thing that bled was my ears.
I "fought the feeling" for about three days and the bleeding stopped. =)

Trout Fishing in America. Fairgrounds Art Museum (twice--"kid's concerts").
Tall guy on the right had hair down to the floor at the time.
Short guy on the left played an electric cello.
Didn't interfere with doing the best version of this song EVER.
Wish they could do a gig at The Blue Door.
She--eet they only jis' lives over there in Arkansas . . .

pnHN6syC65s

Prunepicker
08-15-2013, 08:19 PM
I was at an REO Speedwagon concert at The Myriad a couple of years before that.
We sat way, way up in the stands, directly in line with those giant, megaphone speakers.
I thought that was called "the nosebleed section" but the only thing that bled was my ears.
I "fought the feeling" for about three days and the bleeding stopped. =)

Trout Fishing in America. Fairgrounds Art Museum (twice--"kid's concerts").
Tall guy on the right had hair down to the floor at the time.
Short guy on the left played an electric cello.
Didn't interfere with doing the best version of this song EVER.
Wish they could do a gig at The Blue Door.
She--eet they only jis' lives over there in Arkansas . . .
Is that REO? At a Trout Fishing event? I should have been there.
Trout fishing is a passion.

ljbab728
08-15-2013, 08:54 PM
Nobody put an "age" restriction on this, so the two "concerts" I enjoyed the most are a rock and roll show in the mid-fifties with about seven singers or groups. Fats Domino, Chuck Barry, Jerry Lee Lewis, Little Richard, The Platters, Brenda Lee, and others that escape me at the moment. What a show! A little later in my life, my wife and I went to see the Four Seasons. They were great and the crowd was so good, they wouldn't leave the stage, their encore just kept on and on until the management had to come out and stop the show because there were people outside waiting for the second show. It started about fifteen minutes late.
C. T.

C. T., I also saw a great "Oldies" show a little after that. It was a Dick Clark Caravan of Stars show at the Municipal Auditorium. Headliners were Paul and Paula, Brian Hyland, The Dixie Cups, and Bobbie Vee. My most memorable show was the Moody Blues at the State Fair Arena which also included one of my all time favorite rock songs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9BCpIm_P9Y

elitespy
08-15-2013, 09:18 PM
I would say this is my favorite song live. I saw them in Atlanta earlier this year and they played this for their last song and it's just perfect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKxNCNtMd0U

Prunepicker
08-15-2013, 09:31 PM
Nobody put an "age" restriction on this... C. T. I just did! HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Prunepicker
08-15-2013, 09:31 PM
Here are a few performers, although not exhaustive, that's I've
performed with.

Della Reese
Tony Bennett
Shirley Jones
Riders of the Purple Sage
Kingston Trio
Roger Williams
Four Seasons
Anna Maria Alberghetti
Allen Vizzuti & Jeff Tysik
James Galway

Lots of fun.

ctchandler
08-16-2013, 10:35 AM
ljbab,
The sad part of my story is that my aunt who worked at Hardy's Steaks (all performers ate there when they were in town) had a choice of free tickets and asked my sister and me which show we preferred. We decided a multiple group/performer show was a better deal. Looking back, my sister and I wished we had gone to the Elvis Presley concert. Oh well, who knew?
C. T.
C. T., I also saw a great "Oldies" show a little after that. It was a Dick Clark Caravan of Stars show at the Municipal Auditorium. Headliners were Paul and Paula, Brian Hyland, The Dixie Cups, and Bobbie Vee. My most memorable show was the Moody Blues at the State Fair Arena which also included one of my all time favorite rock songs.