View Full Version : World's largest 20-Plex Theater to be built in Moore

TheImmortal
07-10-2005, 11:44 AM
I know there is a post for Moore but I found this big enought o have its' own discussion.

Warren Theatres, out of Wichita, Kan., announced today it will be building a 150,000-square-foot, 20-plex movie theater in Moore off Interstate 35.

The estimated cost for the theater is $30 million and it is scheduled to break ground within five months and be completed next December.

The theater will be situated off 19th Street in south Moore on a 25-acre site west of I-35 and off Telephone Road. The 20-plex will sit behind a Wal-Mart Superstore and be the north anchor of the growing commercial development off 19th Street, including the Riverwalk retail area.

Warren Theatres Founder and President Bill Warren said his theaters are distinct in that they are reminiscent of the grand cinemas of yester-year, including art deco architectural elements, luxury terrazo marble and granite flooring and detailing and plaster sculpted ceilings. However, he said his theaters have the modern touches, as well, and include custom-designed, high-back recliner seats.

As well, the theater will be the metropolitan area's first theater to include balcony seating (for an extra $15 fee), custom designed love seats, at-your-seat dining and cocktail services, a lounge, and an intimate sitting area featuring a fireplace. The theater also will house a "Forties-style" soda fountain, game room and crying room for families.

In an Oklahoma City press conference today, Warren said the theater will be the largest 20-plex in the world, complete with 80 foot wide wall-to-wall screens and waterfall draperies which will rise when the movie is about to start. And, unlike other cineplexes, the Warren Theatre will not feature advertising on its screens prior to movie showings.

However, Warren said, his theater's tickets prices will be comparable to other theaters in Oklahoma.

Currently, Warren Theatres is comprised of a handful of theaters in the Wichita, Kan., and Springfield, Mo., areas. As to why Warren chose Moore to build his company's largest theater he said: "We really looked around and because of Moore's growth and the highway access and certainly because of the warm reception from the mayor and all of the people, it was a really good choice."

Warren, who used to own some years ago a theater in Tulsa and the former Shepherd Twin Theater at Shepherd Mall, added: "I love Oklahoma City, always have. We've been looking to come to the Oklahoma City area for 24 months.

When the Warren Theatre in Moore is completed next year, it will employ about 200 people dressed in "uniforms reminiscent of Radio City Music Hall," be safety patrolled, be equipped with automatic ticket machines and conduct ticket sales via the phone and Internet, as well.

Spangenberg Phillips Architecture, out of Wichita, KS is heading the design of the complex, Warren said, and the bidding for a general contractor soon will commence.- OKCBusiness.com

TheImmortal
07-10-2005, 11:46 AM
Why couldn't these guys have come along before Harkins? This would have been a perfect type establishment for Bricktown...something visitors would truly remember...and something residents can't experiance anywhere else in the metro. sigh.

HOT ROD
07-10-2005, 01:33 PM
ya. it would hav e been nice to have this real tourist attraction downtown.

But at least it is in the OKC metro area. Although I want downtown to get much of the investment and activity, it is great to see the rest of the metropolitan area grow and prosper as well.

Good for Moore and Great for the Oklahoma City Metropolitan Area!

HOT ROD
07-10-2005, 01:35 PM
but yeah,

It would have been nice to have the Warren Movie House in Bricktown, while the Harkin's Cinemaplex could have been located elsewhere downtown or in the suburbs (since it is quite suburban).

Pete
07-10-2005, 02:03 PM
They are planning a location at the SWC of Memorial and McArthur as well.

Patrick
07-10-2005, 04:10 PM
They are planning a location at the SWC of Memorial and McArthur as well.

They're dreaming if they think their theater will be able to compete with the AMC Theater at Quail Springs.

I'm surprised these theater companies are still building in the metro area. All current marketing studies show that the metro area is saturated when it comes to movie houses.

By the way, don't put too much hope in Bill Warren. He originally proposed a theater in Bricktown to replace the Edwards Theater Hogan had chosen. Needless to say, Hogan found working with Warren to be somewhat of a joke, and he went with Harkins instead. Warren may very well build a theater in Moore, but in the past he's been more talk than action.

http://www.bizjournals.com/wichita/stories/2003/02/10/story1.html?page=2

Karried
07-10-2005, 06:36 PM
Patrick, I agree wholeheartedly with you. For some reason, when I drive through that section of Moore, it is such a different experience ( somewhat negative) - especially compared to Quail Springs - that place is hopping - night and day - the theatres are always packed. And isn't Quail still supposed to get big Omniplex Screen next year?

I do wish them well, it can only help our economy but still?...

Patrick
07-10-2005, 08:00 PM
Oh, I was actually referring to the comment that they were going to build a multi-screen Warren's Cinema at MacArthur and Memorial. That's just a few blocks from AMC. Way too close to ever be able to compete. They'd be better off just sticking to Moore.

BDP
07-11-2005, 08:09 AM
Patrick, thaks for the link. I thought I remebered something with Warren and Bricktown. I found this interesting though...

"Mr. Hogan is doing a sizable development of retail and specialty shops, so we're studying how the theater could fit in."

Ummmm, what happened to that? Maybe it's not Warren that's the joke when it comes to lower bricktown.

cinedude
04-28-2006, 03:39 AM
Does anyone happen to know the name of the architect and/or architectural firm designing this theater?

Patrick
04-28-2006, 12:04 PM
Is it even still a go? I haven't heard anything new about this in months. I'll be surprised if Warren actually follows through.

We have plenty of theaters on the metro area. In fact, the market is just about saturated. I don't see the point in opening another multi-plex cinema at this point.

I guess the one in Moore would make more since than another one on Memorial though.

The south side only has two large theaters, one at Crossroads, and one in Norman.

BricktownGuy
04-28-2006, 01:34 PM
I think the southside does need another large theater. Hollywood in Norman... is always really busy and some of their seats are really uncomfortable.

I think this site is another Ron Wilhite development, if I am not mistaken.

writerranger
04-28-2006, 02:23 PM
$30 million theater project to start today
Oklahoman, The (Oklahoma City, OK)
March 30, 2006
Author: Staff Reports

Warren Theatres will break ground on its $30 million project in Moore today.

The Wichita, Kan.-based company plans to build a 20-screen theater, which will be off Interstate 35 and SW 19 Street in the development area known as Riverwalk North.

(from Oklahoman Archives) via library's Newsbank

OklaCity_75
04-28-2006, 02:39 PM
I found some pictures of the one in Wichita. The theater will most likely look something like these photos.

http://www.wichitaphotos.org/graphics/wsu_ms99-3.2.theaters.3.jpg

http://www.wichitaphotos.org/graphics/wsu_ms99-3.2.theaters.2.jpg

OklaCity_75
04-28-2006, 02:41 PM
Photos Continued

http://www.wichitaphotos.org/graphics/wsu_ms99-3.2.theaters.4.jpg

http://www.wichitaphotos.org/graphics/wsu_ms99-3.2.theaters.5.jpg

http://www.wichitaphotos.org/graphics/wsu_ms99-3.2.theaters.1.jpg

writerranger
04-28-2006, 02:58 PM
No question his theaters are showplaces. I like that he wants to bring back the old cinema palaces of old. When the multi-screen theaters came in - all thought to decor went out; he's making a name for changing that.

Bobby H
04-28-2006, 05:46 PM
They're dreaming if they think their theater will be able to compete with the AMC Theater at Quail Springs.

LOL! You're joking right? Have you ever been to one of the Warren locations in Wichita?

There's simply no comparison. A Warren theater soundly stomps the tar out of any AMC location, period. We're talking a monumental difference in presentation quality.

I'm sorry, but most AMC locations stink by virtue of the really odd choices in their auditorium designs. Many have non-perforated, vacuum sucked Torus screens. You cannot put speakers behind them. Instead they are mounted above and below. Echo is an awful problem. On top of that, many AMC auditoriums have the surround speakers stupidly stuffed up into the ceiling. So you get really hollow sound quality of one effectively out of focus audio channel in front of you and another on top of your head. That's just plain awful. AMC does this for the marginal benefit the Torus screen can provide to picture quality. But the difference isn't all that noticeable compared to another theater with traditional screens that simply handles and projects film correctly.

Warren Theaters typically builds all of their auditoriums using best of breed equipment. All of their 1st run theaters are THX-certified. They regularly tune their auditoriums and check projection. So when you see a show there you're going to see an appropriately sharp picture and have surround sound that sounds great and isn't wimpy.

On top of that, Warren is putting more into the decoration and showmanship atmosphere than I have ever seen at any of AMC's locations. Putting it simply, I'll drive a significant distance to watch a movie at a Warren location. I won't drive out of my way to watch a movie at an AMC location.

The only thing I don't like about the design of the Warren 20 in Moore is their largest theaters are going to have screens that are too big.

Warren is boasting the theater will have screens 80' wide. I'm sorry, but no 35mm projector made can fully light such a screen to SMPTE specs (12 foot lamberts at the edge and 16 foot lamberts in the center). No digital projector alive can do it either. Christie's newest 3-chip 2K DLP model doesn't take a lamp any larger than 6000 watts. You need 10,000 to 15,000 watts of lamp power to illuminate such a screen properly. A 5-perf 70mm lamphouse is the smallest gate that will manage it without burning the film. Frankly an 80' screen is getting into IMAX territory (15-perf horizontally drawn 70mm).

Given that 70mm is pretty much dead in traditional movie theaters (not counting special venue), Warren would have done better to keep the screens at no more than 55' or 60' in width. Before anyone brings up the Cine Capris in Bricktown -that 70' screen is also too big for 35mm to handle. They have a high quality Kinoton projector in that booth complete with a liquid cooled gate, custom reflector and 7,000 watt lamp. But for all that effort the pictures still look dim. 5/70mm prints would look a LOT better.

John
04-28-2006, 05:51 PM
I believe they (Warren) still have the Gaillardia location on the backburner.

That might be the death of the Quail AMC.

cinedude
04-28-2006, 06:12 PM
I did some digging and was able to find that the Moore Warren is being designed by Wichita-based Spangenberg, Phillips Architecture, the firm that designed the three Warren Theatres in Wichita. It will be similar in design to the east side and west side 20 screen Wichita houses, but maybe a bit more orderly, since it will be built all at once and the Wichita theatres started with fewer screens and were later expanded.

The pictures posted by OklaCity 75 are interesting. The decoration of the dining area of the theatre looks a bit more successful than that in the auditorium, where it looks as though the elements are just glued to the walls rather than integrated into the structure. The outside is gigantic- I find it a bit intimidating, even in a photograph. Still, it's better than the bland, monstrous boxes that most theatre chains were building a few years ago.

Patrick
04-28-2006, 07:44 PM
I don't question that Warren Theaters are nicer than AMC, Harkins, or whatever. I just question them locating down the street from an already existing 24 screen theater complex. One of the theaters will lose out, and I'd hate to see another empty box in either location. The mall location would be the most difficult to fill.

Quail Springs is already having problems getting national retailers to locate in their mall. Penn Square is stealing them all. I have a feeling, the loss of AMC at Quail would be devastating for that mall, especially if a mall is also built in Edmond.

Developments like Spring Creek Plaza have already hurt Quail. Stores like Ann Taylor loft, Talbots, etc. are choosing to locate there instead of the mall.

Seems like the two locations for upscale stores right now are Spring Creek or Penn Square. I have a feeling those two will remain dominant in that area.

Bobby H
04-29-2006, 09:37 PM
I'm not familiar with Warren's effort to build a movie theater along Memorial Road on the north side of Oklahoma City, and in somewhat close proximity to Quail Springs Mall and the AMC 24-plex operating inside.

I thought a comparison was being drawn between the AMC site and the new Warren theater being built south of OKC, in Moore. It seemed a little like an "AMC is the best in town" sort of claim. Currently Harkins' Bricktown complex is Oklahoma City's best movie theater. But probably not for long. And the area's movie fans will benefit.

As to the health of Quail Springs Mall, I agree a new, lush and luxurious, all-THX Warren site just down the street from there has potential to be devastating to AMC's business and the mall in general.

However, I think the AMC theater there will still get a lot of traffic for a couple of reasons.

First, if both theaters are within a couple of miles of each other they won't be able to show the same movies. They'll be stuck in an allocation agreement system where film companies will have to divide their releases between both locations.

Some movie fans like myself are very discriminating on what we expect in show quality from a theater. Others don't seem to care.

In my neighborhood in the Lawton area, the Carmike 8 is by far the best place to see a movie. But more people go to the Central Mall theater with its tiny screens and lackluster presentation quality. Carmike is even going to convert all 8 screens to digital projection using Christie's new 3-chip 2K DLP CP2000 model. But lots of people will probably still drive to the mall because it's the closest theater.

More long term, Quail Springs Mall and most traditional shopping malls as we know them will eventually disappear.

Many merchants are preferring to build bigger stores either in standalone configuration or in large strip shopping centers with a limited number of big tenants.

Shopping malls have very limited space and tend to command very high rent prices. They're extremely limiting when it comes to movie theaters. The space is far too cramped and the ceilings are way too low. AMC was only able to build the Quail Springs 24 by adding a new structure and covering up the diagonal glass atrium that used to serve as the front of the mall.

OklaCity_75
04-29-2006, 11:13 PM
Memorial and Macarthur was supposed to be the site of the new theater.

Plans may have been scrubbed for it because all the people living behind the site were complaining about the possiblilty of traffic problems.

I hate to tell those people that a shopping center has been planned for Memorial and Macarthur for some time now. Possibly long before the houses were built behind the site.

Patrick
04-29-2006, 11:18 PM
More long term, Quail Springs Mall and most traditional shopping malls as we know them will eventually disappear.

I think that depends. Malls that make an aggressive effort to lure upscale tenants will continue to do well. The Gallerias, Mills Malls, etc. have a unique offering of stores that sets them apart from strip centers and open air centers.

At the present time, I'd have to say Penn Square is the only mall in the city headed in the right direction. Crossroads has already fallen, and Quail Springs will if they don't aggressively seek unique tenants.

I don't think you'll see too many new malls built in years to come, and you'll see many under producing malls converted to other uses, but the strong malls in their respective markets will continue to thrive.

Patrick
04-29-2006, 11:20 PM
by adding a new structure and covering up the diagonal glass atrium that used to serve as the front of the mall.

And I still think that was a mistake. I miss the feel of the old Quail Springs.

SoonerDave
05-02-2006, 01:45 PM

Yeah, that idea has been around for two decades, and yet the malls persist. Granted, many of them are bereft of quality tenants, but they remain, nonetheless.

When I was in college, the prediction was the same, malls were dead, and plans were unfolded to "demall" North Park Mall, and those plans never went anywhere.

As far as theaters go, if I were Regal at Crossroads, I'd be worried, although the distance between them isn't exactly as "next-door" as you might initially think. Regal hasn't done much with that theater since it opened, and they shut down a nice little snack/coffee bar maybe a month after it opened. The place is clean, seats are so-so, and I don't consider it a "destination" theater as I do AMC at Quail. Hollywood in Norman is an absolute pit. Went there one time - to see Titanic, in fact - YUCK. Not again. Regal is a night for the latest animated kid-flick; AMC is a date night. And even that is mitigated (sometimes significantly) by Harkins downtown.

Warren will probably negatively impact the likelihood of my going to AMC on the northside. AMC needs to get its act together and build the IMAX at Quail they hyped up over a year ago, but never did. Whazzup with that? Anyone know?

Its kinda ridiculous that all these new theaters have popped up all over town, and there's not an IMAX in the bunch.

-SoonerDave

writerranger
05-02-2006, 02:05 PM
Its kinda ridiculous that all these new theaters have popped up all over town, and there's not an IMAX in the bunch.

That is a very good point.

Bobby H
05-03-2006, 09:28 PM
Honestly, I would worry if AMC was in charge of building an IMAX theater. They would install one of those silly Torus screens and have all the speakers stuffed up over your head in the ceiling. Absolute garbage.

Neither Warren Theaters or Harkins have any IMAX screens in their theater circuits. Regal has a couple of IMAX locations in high profile markets, but Cinemark is the biggest player in theatrical IMAX out of any movie theater company doing business in OKC.

Basically I think Harkins goofed in not putting an IMAX-3D theater in Bricktown. That is EXACTLY where such a theater needs to be located within metro OKC.

The commercial movie theater industry is currently is an odd state of flux. Many deals are taking place to remove 35mm film projectors in favor of video projectors that show imagery at levels slightly sharper than HDTV. I refuse to call this stuff "digital projection" and it is definitely NOT better than film projection done right. Yet lots of lies are being spun around from various biased parties and that really stupid "digital" buzzword is being thrown around quite liberally.

Over the next few years most commercial theaters are going to be transformed into two classes: one class being theaters that show a glorified version of television and another that shows IMAX 15-perf 70mm film presentations. That's two pretty big extremes.

The sad thing is most theaters are going to be doomed by their adoption of video projection since the same fanboys of all things "digital" will be among the first to betray those "D-Cinema" theaters for their new home HDTV systems with just as many native digital pixels playing from Blu-Ray or HD-DVD discs.

The even worse thing that may happen is all the sales droid idiots in Hollywood completely removing release windows between theatrical and home video release. If a movie appears in theaters and on DVD at the same time, 99% of viewers are just going to save a ton of money staying at home to watch the movie on DVD. Very simple math.

On top of that, the average quality of product from Hollywood has been very deplorable for the past few years. That certainly doesn't bode well for the launch of those Blu-Ray and HD-DVD formats.

The next few years look extremely troubling for the movie theater industry.

OklaCity_75
05-03-2006, 09:42 PM
I think I would go see a movie at Harkins before I would go to AMC.

AMC would be good for a weekday matinee or something like that.

AMC's and Quail Springs has become a dumping ground for teenagers. Parents turn thier kids loose and leave. Luckily mall security and county deputies have been combating that.

One night on my way to eat at Garfields I saw a county deputy standing at the door turning parents with car loads of kids away. He told each parent "Unless your going in to supervise them take them home. This is not a playground and the employees of the mall have better things to do than babysit." That same deputy was kicking crowds of kids out of the mall when we left.

I have only been once but Harkins seem to have a more mature crowd.

AMC draws all the idiots that want do everything but watch the movie.

{la_resistance}
05-03-2006, 10:58 PM
Yes! I live in Moore. But that theatre looks too fancy...

Bobby H
05-04-2006, 07:58 AM
There's no such thing as a theater that looks too fancy. The more ornate the better. Warren puts some real effort into their theaters.

I'm just tired of all the bland 'plex box buildings with some slight attempts at cartoonish versions of art deco decoration.

Patrick
05-04-2006, 10:03 AM
AMC's and Quail Springs has become a dumping ground for teenagers. Parents turn thier kids loose and leave. Luckily mall security and county deputies have been combating that.

Exactly why Penn Square has said no go on any theater expansion. They'd rather focus on upscale retail, not juvenile problems.

Patrick
05-04-2006, 10:04 AM
Yes! I live in Moore. But that theatre looks too fancy...

What's wrong with a fancy theater? For once, it's actually something classy for the OKC metro area, instead of the typical, run of the mill multi-screen cinema.

{la_resistance}
05-04-2006, 10:32 AM
I do not like fancy. Example: Versailles-WAY TOO ORNATE!!! I prefer modern, technological pronunciations of the human intellect. Or to put it simply- I like computers and technological looks. (if that makes any sense.

OklaCity_75
05-04-2006, 11:08 AM
Well I think we need a little bit of style and class when it comes to buildings.

Otherwise, everything gets that cookie cutter look Wal-Mart and Walgreens are probably the most famous for that.

Patrick
05-04-2006, 11:35 AM
I do not like fancy. Example: Versailles-WAY TOO ORNATE!!! I prefer modern, technological pronunciations of the human intellect. Or to put it simply- I like computers and technological looks. (if that makes any sense.

Okay, let's tear down most of OKC and replace it with concrete block square buildings. We'll be known for being the most boring city in the world. Hey, at least that will put us on the map.

Bobby H
05-04-2006, 07:21 PM
Commercial movie theaters are simply NOT the place to demonstrate techno-oriented contemporary design (or minimalist, Bauhaus and any other disclipes some deride as "dead-tech"). One might be able to get away with an exception here and there -perhaps for an all art-house movies theater or something.

Nostalgia is a big factor in commercial movie theater marketing. Many sophisticated movie fans look back fondly to the days of 2000 seat single-screen movie palaces. Today's cookie-cutter stadium seated "megaplex" often does not evoke any of those feelings at all.

There's also lots of ways to incorporate lots of state of the art lighting and decorative fixtures in a nostaligic type of design. Fundamentally the goal is to arrive at something that looks really great without just looking old.

Now, about the Penn Square thing...

...that theater? Expand? Hehe. The only way Dickinson Theaters is going to be able to expand that location is by closing down the theater inside the mall and building a completely new one at a location nearby.

Shopping malls simply have far too many limitations against any modern movie theater design. You can't have any real stadium seating in such a location. You only get tiny auditoriums with something more like high school gym bleacher seating.

I did like the Penn Square Mall 10 theater at one time...when General Cinemas was running it. At that time they had a good THX-certified screen in there capable of running 70mm prints. I don't know if the 70mm projector is still there (strongly doubt it), but since Hollywood doesn't bother with 70mm anymore there's little point anyway.

jbrown84
05-06-2006, 08:12 PM
No offense Bobby H, but you movie projector industry talk is giving me a headache. Too much detail for me.

The Warren Theatre will be a very nice addition and I think if any theatre suffers it will surely be the Regal at Crossroads because the mall itself is dying and the Warren will be so much nicer.

okiemom
05-06-2006, 10:12 PM
I woud love to see a theater located just off I-44 between SW 134 and the Tri-City exit. It would pull in people from SW OKC, Tuttle, Newcastle, probably Chickasha, and possibly Blanchard.

windowphobe
05-07-2006, 01:28 PM
The Reno 8 on El Reno's south side is pretty plain, but it gets the job done, and it saves a long trip into the city.

okiemom
05-07-2006, 04:40 PM
El Reno is a long drive and out of the way for the area I'm thinking of. A theater along 44 would also pull in a lot of folks from the west part of Moore.

SoonerDave
05-08-2006, 09:22 AM
Before Regal was built at Crossroads, talk was they were planning to build that theater at the corner of SW 59th @ I-44. Plans, obviously, changed.

Does anyone here remember the Shepherd Twin theater at Shepherd Mall? Or the Park Terrace just north of 59th on Western?

Part of all this theater talk reminds me that when I was a kid, going to the movies was A Big Deal. It was An Event. Movies were larger than life, somehow. These days, its nothing special at all, except the ticket prices are ludicrous....(to say nothing of the fact that most of the movies are, well, not very compelling -- the current slasher-flick glut completely turns me off).

That perception change has happened in just the last, oh, 25 years or so. I remember it was a pretty big deal when my whole family went to see "9 to 5," or even the wonderful old Pink Panther movies. Great times...

-SoonerDave

metro
01-08-2008, 08:37 AM
Real Estate Moore’s $30M megaplex likely to open around April 1, official says
The Journal Record
January 8, 2008

MOORE – Moore is a few months away from adding another major attraction on the west side of Interstate 35 between S. Fourth and S. 19th streets. And it happens to be the anchor, and one of the top reasons for so much growth in the immediate area.

Warren Theatres of Wichita, which paid $1.7 million for the 25-acre site, began construction nearly two years ago and is looking at a spring opening, said Deidre Ebrey, director of the Moore Economic Development Authority. The facility will have 20 screens and several state-of-the-art amenities.“Warren Theatres hasn’t selected a firm date, but we are anticipating that it will open at the very beginning of April,” Ebrey said. “The end of March is a possibility. It will probably open during the opening of a particular movie, which we don’t know right now.”

Ebrey said the $30 million facility will be the main attraction in the area that’s shown substantial growth in the last few years.“We knew the theater would change the area,” Ebrey said. “There is a Lowe’s and restaurants on the frontage roads, and now Harley-Davidson is between Lowe’s and the theater. The area is bordered by Fourth Street on the north and 19th Street on the south. Wal-Mart has been the southern anchor for 10 years and businesses down there have been built around it.”

Ebrey said Warren Theatres owns pad sites on the property that could be used for more growth once the facility is settled in.“Warren will probably not offer any pads until they know what the parking situation will be, and then they will possibility develop it,” she said.The I-35 access road will be widened, she said.

The new businesses have been a boost to the city’s coffers in sales tax alone by as much as $500,000 per year for the first three or four years, but the big money will be spent by visitors to the area.

http://journalrecord.com/_images/articles/t_labswarren%20theatre.jpg
The $30 million megaplex under construction in Moore will sport a similar design to this Warren Theatre in Wichita, Kan. The 20-screen cinema will likely open around April 1, said Deidre Ebrey, director of the Moore Economic Development Authority. (Courtesy photo)

Oh GAWD the Smell!
01-08-2008, 01:54 PM
Then maybe they should start widening the access road NOW.

venture
01-09-2008, 08:18 AM
Pro-active road work in the metro? Now that's funny. :)