View Full Version : Thunder Drive

ljbab728
08-09-2013, 11:12 PM
I'm a tremendous fan of the Thunder but I totally disapprove of this street renaming. This street has been named Robinson since 1894 and I see no real benefit in the change. The Thunder don't need a street named after them to get national recognition. Sometimes older traditions trump modern ones.

208 Thunder Drive could become new address for Oklahoma City Thunder | News OK (http://newsok.com/208-thunder-drive-could-become-new-address-for-oklahoma-city-thunder/article/3870736)

What if (perish the thought) 20 years from now the team relocated? It's just a momentary feel good change which I'm not in favor of.

catch22
08-10-2013, 12:24 AM
I strongly disfavor this proposal.

We have too many streets that are named different block after block.

soonerguru
08-10-2013, 12:56 AM
This is a dumb idea.

Plutonic Panda
08-10-2013, 01:52 AM
Yeah, I would vote a big no on this.

Stew
08-10-2013, 08:09 AM
I'm totally in favor of it. I have no idea the significance of the name 'Robinson' or any reason why I should be in favor of keeping it. We got a big league team that does much to put OKC on the map so hey what not put them on the map as well.

CaptDave
08-10-2013, 08:21 AM
This is silly. We need to act like a major league city on this one. As much as I love our team, this is not a good idea and rather childish. Everyone knows exactly where Thunder Alley is even though the street sign still says "Reno".

If anything, what street is the Thunder training facility located on? That would be more acceptable.

OKCisOK4me
08-10-2013, 08:25 AM
I'm totally in favor of it. I have no idea the significance of the name 'Robinson' or any reason why I should be in favor of keeping it. We got a big league team that does much to put OKC on the map so hey what not put them on the map as well.

Huh?? If anything...the stretch should be changed to Bennett Avenue...who did THAT MUCH to bring a franchise here. The recognition the Thunder has given our city stays in the arena. Renaming the street is a joke.

Stew
08-10-2013, 08:32 AM
Huh?? If anything...the stretch should be changed to Bennett Avenue...who did THAT MUCH to bring a franchise here. The recognition the Thunder has given our city stays in the arena. Renaming the street is a joke.

Who doesn't like a good joke?

progressiveboy
08-10-2013, 09:06 AM
This is silly. We need to act like a major league city on this one. As much as I love our team, this is not a good idea and rather childish. Everyone knows exactly where Thunder Alley is even though the street sign still says "Reno".

If anything, what street is the Thunder training facility located on? That would be more acceptable. Agree! This is soooo cheesy to say the least. C'mon OKC, you move 5 steps forward, then, seven steps back. Please start acting like a major league city and not a juvenile kid in a candy store, LOL.

catcherinthewry
08-10-2013, 09:44 AM
How is this different than Russell Perry Ave, Johnny Bench Dr, Joe Carter Ave, Mickey Mantle Dr or Flaming Lips Alley? The Thunder have brought OKC more positive publicity and goodwill than all of those combined. Let them have their block.

catch22
08-10-2013, 10:11 AM
How is this different than Russell Perry Ave, Johnny Bench Dr, Joe Carter Ave, Mickey Mantle Dr or Flaming Lips Alley? The Thunder have brought OKC more positive publicity and goodwill than all of those combined. Let them have their block.

Because we can't keep that habit going... If anything we should rename those back to their main names. It's confusing giving directions to people. Go down Robinson Ave, where it will turn into Thunder Drive, at the intersection of Thunder and Reno, turn left and take Reno all the way down to Mickey Mantle Drive, follow it until it turns ito Walnut Ave.

Jake
08-10-2013, 11:13 AM
I don't agree with the name change, but geez people. Kind of acting as if it's bringing shame upon our houses.

OKCisOK4me
08-10-2013, 11:47 AM
Because we can't keep that habit going... If anything we should rename those back to their main names. It's confusing giving directions to people. Go down Robinson Ave, where it will turn into Thunder Drive, at the intersection of Thunder and Reno, turn left and take Reno all the way down to Mickey Mantle Drive, follow it until it turns ito Walnut Ave.

At least you know where you're headed! Lol

Snowman
08-10-2013, 12:58 PM

The main one that stands out on that list is Flaming Lips Alley, because nowhere else in the city was there a road name that spanned miles across the city being re-branded for a couple blocks. Quickly scanning across a map, I do not even see an alley at that latitude anywhere else in the city.

Just the facts
08-10-2013, 04:37 PM
Just rename EKG to Thunder Dr. Otherwise, this idea is about as lame as it gets.

zookeeper
08-10-2013, 05:32 PM
Just rename EKG to Thunder Dr. Otherwise, this idea is about as lame as it gets.
Yeah, I agree. Somehow I don't think Clay Bennett would go along with changing EKG! Hmmm, wonder why? Blood is thicker than concrete.

kevinpate
08-10-2013, 08:57 PM
... Blood is thicker than concrete.

Not sure about blood, but frying pans probably are.
:wink:

ljbab728
08-10-2013, 09:34 PM
Is Madison Square Garden on Knicks Drive? Is the Los Angeles Forum on Lakers Drive? Is Boston Garden on Celtics Drive?

Nope, I don't think so.

Just the facts
08-10-2013, 10:20 PM
New York, LA, and Boston don't have insecurity issues.

HOT ROD
08-11-2013, 01:51 AM
I also dislike this naming; seems very small-time. I would be a little bit more welcoming if it were called "Thunder Alley" and if it were the Reno section in front of the arena (where Thunder Alley typically is located anyway).

Thunder Drive ala Robinson is small-time, misplaced, and seems to be over-reaching on part of the Thunder and OKC to 'establish' the team, similar to how the city does Oklahoma City this or that (most of which I like in that regard, but "Oklahoma River"? come on. ...).

UnclePete
08-11-2013, 03:05 AM
Are their any guarantees that the basketball team will be here forever? What if the Thunder is replaced by another team, then you have to go through this crap again.

rcjunkie
08-11-2013, 03:40 AM
WOW, this much uproar over the renaming of a one block section of Robinson. This requires the changing of a few street signs and that's it. This World as far greater things to be upset about.

catch22
08-11-2013, 03:53 AM
WOW, this much uproar over the renaming of a one block section of Robinson. This requires the changing of a few street signs and that's it. This World as far greater things to be upset about.

I think it's fair that people get upset about the city wasting its time doing something that makes us look like a city of 10,000.

Plutonic Panda
08-11-2013, 01:49 PM
WOW, this much uproar over the renaming of a one block section of Robinson. This requires the changing of a few street signs and that's it. This World as far greater things to be upset about.That's a pretty big deal to me, esp. as others have said, when it makes us look like a small town

Stew
08-11-2013, 03:12 PM
That's a pretty big deal to me, esp. as others have said, when it makes us look like a small town

How does it make us look a small town?

Just the facts
08-11-2013, 04:14 PM
Maybe OKC needs to adopt an honorary street name system and put those names on red signs that hang below the actual street name. The entity wanting to dedicate the street pays 100% of the cost for putting them up plus another $1000 per year to go towards common area maintenace along that stretch of road. They can talk to the post office about mailing address issues.

http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x378/KerryinJax/aveofarts_zps920773d4.jpg

kevinpate
08-11-2013, 05:22 PM
The Blvd. - mandatory to be named Oklahoma City Blvd. Twixt and tween Ford Center and Chesapeake Energy Arena, the arena had to be named Oklahoma City Arena for a spell. And of course, the team is required to be named the Oklahoma City Thunder, ugly font and all. Yet, the short strip of pavement is fine to be simply renamed Thunder Dr.

Maybe OKC is growing up a bit after all.

bchris02
08-11-2013, 05:46 PM
I think it's fair that people get upset about the city wasting its time doing something that makes us look like a city of 10,000.

I agree. To me, this seems like a small town naming one of their streets after their school mascot.

Snowman
08-12-2013, 01:56 PM
I noticed this in Melbourne, Australia

http://www.jefflindsay.com/gif/australia/13-05-06_70405.JPG

Though it is actually named after a guy named John Batman who was a politician in the 1800s and involved in founding the city

ljbab728
08-12-2013, 11:12 PM
Steve makes some very good points which echo my original thought about this name change.

http://www.oklahoman.com/article/3871453?embargo=1

The elimination of one-way streets this past year as part of Project 180 has made traveling a bit easier. But another source of confusion, the renaming of some small sections of streets, remains and the temptation continues to expand on the problem rather than make it better.

Let's experience driving as a visitor. We can exit the new Interstate 40 at Shields Boulevard, which then turns into E.K. Gaylord two blocks later. Or we can hop on Joe Carter Avenue (named after an Oklahoma City native who won the 1993 World Series for the Toronto Blue Jays) in Bricktown which then morphs into Russell Perry Avenue.

That's not confusing at all, is it?

If all the dreams for MAPS 3 come true, this stretch of Robinson Avenue will be a critical corridor for downtown visitors traveling to the Myriad Gardens, the new Core to Shore Park, the arena and the future convention center. Those visitors will hopefully also someday want to visit our community's Hispanic community, and all they have to offer, in Capitol Hill.

So a visitor staying at the Colcord Hotel will be expected to understand that to get to Capitol Hill, they will be traveling along Robinson Avenue, Ron Norick Boulevard, Thunder Drive, and Robinson Avenue again — all while staying on the very same street.

That's not confusing, right?

Anonymous.
08-13-2013, 03:20 PM
So who actually gets to vote/decide on this?

Just the facts
08-13-2013, 03:41 PM
I shutter to think how my car's GPS would interpret all these street name changes. I still say we adopt an honorary street name system like most cities (New York, Chicago, and Philadelphia to name a few). Why does OKC feel it needs to reinvent the wheel for everything? Just do what already works in other places.

http://www.chicagoreader.com/chicago/best-honorary-street/BestOf?oid=2015126

In 1984 Chicago passed the Honorary Street Name Ordinance, instituting a surprisingly rational method of honoring VIPs by naming city blocks after them without actually changing the official street name—saving mail carriers, police, and firefighters some major headaches. The special brown street signs spread like kudzu, and they now number more than 1,200. Honorees include civil servants, entrepreneurs, philanthropists, celebrities both local and not, and several dozen clergy. You have to wonder about some: Does Chicago really need a “Diana Princess of Wales Way” (700-800 N. Fairbanks)?

http://wwwdelivery.superstock.com/WI/223/1566/PreviewComp/SuperStock_1566-692470.jpg

BoulderSooner
08-14-2013, 09:27 AM
So who actually gets to vote/decide on this?

the city council

Just the facts
08-16-2013, 08:24 PM
Interesting article from Steve today about how Sheridan Ave got its name and the person it is named after.

Street Names, Part Two | News OK (http://newsok.com/street-names-part-two/article/3872639)

I would prefer that the return the street back to its original name - Grand Ave, and not because of the action of the man it was named after but because I don't like naming streets after people (and this is one of the reason why)

ljbab728
08-16-2013, 09:45 PM
Interesting article from Steve today about how Sheridan Ave got its name and the person it is named after.

Street Names, Part Two | News OK (http://newsok.com/street-names-part-two/article/3872639)

I would prefer that the return the street back to its original name - Grand Ave, and not because of the action of the man it was named after but because I don't like naming streets after people (and this is one of the reason why)
You don't like all of the streets named after Marjorie Main? :)

Plutonic Panda
08-17-2013, 01:54 AM
How does it make us look a small town?Makes it seem like the city doesn't have anything going for them except the Thunder and going crazy over one thing is just a small time move, imo.

bchris02
08-17-2013, 06:41 AM
Makes it seem like the city doesn't have anything going for them except the Thunder and going crazy over one thing is just a small time move, imo.

True. A lot of people from elsewhere try to say the Thunder's popularity is simply because there is nothing else to do in OKC, and doing stuff like this supports that perception.