View Full Version : Favorito la Cucaracha Entrenadors (Roach Couches)

Prunepicker
08-07-2013, 03:26 AM
This is mainly about Mexican taco trucks y comidas. Are there any
faves? I like the pork at a place at S.W. 29th and S. Western. I
don't remember the name. It was the Big Red Steak House for
decades.

Has anyone tried the trucks at S.W. 44th and S. May or Pollo Regio
at S.W. 29th and S. May? I've seen them many times but haven't
had the time to stop.

There was a truck at N.W. 23rd & N. Ann Arbor that had good
chicken tacos. I didn't see it tonight.

Roger S
08-07-2013, 05:43 AM
I've tried one of the El Dolar trucks and they had one of the best carnitas tacos I have eaten.

Best truck I knew closed down a couple of years ago. Forget the name but it was the only truck I knew of that served breakfast. Also served chicharone tacos.

Don't eat from the trucks as often as I used to. Mostly go to the taqueria's now. Went and tried Taqueria Rafita's at 12th and Penn the other day and it was pretty good. It's run by the former cook at Los Comales so it's basically Los Comales at better prices. $1.50 for a taco and $4.75 for a burrito.

RadicalModerate
08-07-2013, 07:26 AM
I'm a bit confused here . . .
Wouldn't a "Roach Couch" be una "Sofá de Cucaracha"?
And a "Roach Coach" un "Autobús (or coche) de Cucaracha"?
Wouldn't a "Cucaracha Entrenador" be someone who might encourage a cockroach to do more sit-ups after eating too many tacos?

One thing for sure: This thread title would never appear on "Seattle Talk" . . . =)

Martin
08-07-2013, 07:45 AM
Has anyone tried... Pollo Regio at S.W. 29th and S. May?

yep. they also have a brick and mortar in an old taco bell at sw 35th & western. while they serve tacos, i'd say that their specialty is more towards roasted chicken. it's not bad but i don't make special trips just to go there. if you're looking for taquerias to try, another decent one is los comales just north of sw 15th & agnew.

-M

Roger S
08-07-2013, 07:52 AM
yep. they also have a brick and mortar in an old taco bell at sw 35th & western. while they serve tacos, i'd say that their specialty is more towards roasted chicken. it's not bad but i don't make special trips just to go there. if you're looking for taquerias to try, another decent one is los comales just north of sw 15th & agnew.

-M

I like the brick and mortar El Pollo.... Noticed the other day while I was there that they do costillo de res too. Plan to try them on my next visit.

Have you been to Los Comales since the cook moved over to Taqueria Rafitas? I'm wondering how much of a difference that may have made.

Martin
08-07-2013, 08:22 AM
I like the brick and mortar El Pollo....
i don't want to sound as if i don't like the place... i just don't find myself going out of my way to go there. it's been awhile, i should go back. haven't tried their costillas... i'm weird about ribs and really hate them when they're tough, so i typically only eat them in barbecue.

Have you been to Los Comales since the cook moved over to Taqueria Rafitas?
i'm going to guess no... it's actually been a couple years since i've been there. i sampled a bunch of different types of tacos and really enjoyed it. -M

Roger S
08-07-2013, 08:51 AM
i don't want to sound as if i don't like the place... i just don't find myself going out of my way to go there. it's been awhile, i should go back. haven't tried their costillas... i'm weird about ribs and really hate them when they're tough, so i typically only eat them in barbecue.

I've had hit or miss meals there. Some days the chicken is cooked perfectly and other days... meh... But I love their green sauce!

I'm assuming these are the ribs they slice through the slab across the bones into thin strips and grill. If they are cooked right they are really tasty but the key is cooking them right. They can be tough and fatty when not done correctly.

I will buy some from Morelo's when the wife wants fajitas and grill them while the fajitas are cooking and eat them right off the grill while I'm waiting on the fajitas to finish.

i'm going to guess no... it's actually been a couple years since i've been there. i sampled a bunch of different types of tacos and really enjoyed it. -M

I believe Rafita's has just opened within the last one to one and a half months. Los Comales has always been my favorite but know Rafita's is being run by their former cook and Rafita's prices are cheaper.... Well I don't know if I'll go back.... Then again the new cook at Los Comales could be better than the old one.... So maybe I should. :D

There is also a truck that sets up in front of a strip club (may be out of business strip club) out west on 10th street that I have heard good things about, and have seen long lines at, but have never stopped and tried. I think it's called Sanchez.

Martin
08-07-2013, 09:06 AM
I will buy some from Morelo's when the wife wants fajitas and grill them while the fajitas are cooking and eat them right off the grill while I'm waiting on the fajitas to finish.

i've seen the crosscut ribs at hispanic and asian markets but haven't tried cooking them myself... they seemed to lend themselved to grilling, but my concern was that they'd turn out like shoe leather. -M

Roger S
08-07-2013, 09:15 AM
i've seen the crosscut ribs at hispanic and asian markets but haven't tried cooking them myself... they seemed to lend themselved to grilling, but my concern was that they'd turn out like shoe leather. -M

I cook them until the fat is crispy, carmelized, and mighty tasty. Next time I get over to Pollo Regio I'll give them a try and get a pic of them to post here.

RadicalModerate
08-07-2013, 08:42 PM
I think that "Tacos al HydroCarbón" would be a great name for a "Mexican taco truck" . . .
It would probably be my favorite. If it existed. Which it doesn't. Yet.

Mel
08-07-2013, 10:37 PM
I've never stopped but the one at SW 29th and May, oh man, the smell's so good that it makes makes me salivate like Pavlov's dog.

Roger S
08-08-2013, 05:05 AM
I've never stopped but the one at SW 29th and May, oh man, the smell's so good that it makes makes me salivate like Pavlov's dog.

That's El Pollo Regio.... if you don't feel like getting out of your vehicle to try the trailer. They have a location on Western that has a drive-thru. It's in an old Taco Bell that was across the street from the closed Sooner BBQ.

Prunepicker
08-08-2013, 09:50 AM
I've never stopped but the one at SW 29th and May, oh man, the smell's
so good that it makes makes me salivate like Pavlov's dog.
I'm going to be in that area today and am going to give it a try.

Prunepicker
08-08-2013, 04:13 PM
Today I ate at El Pollo Regio. The food truck on S.W. 29 and S. May ave.
Loved it. The green salsa was creamy y es muy sombroso! The red
sauce, too.

Roger S
08-08-2013, 04:59 PM
Today I ate at El Pollo Regio. The food truck on S.W. 29 and S. May ave.
Loved it. The green salsa was creamy y es muy sombroso! The red
sauce, too.

An I.V. drip of that green sauce would keep me happy all day.

Prunepicker
08-08-2013, 06:20 PM
An I.V. drip of that green sauce would keep me happy all day.
I wonder if it's processed longer or if sour cream, oil or something is added
to it?

Martin
08-08-2013, 08:05 PM
i made some once... i don't remember everything that went in but do remember putting sour cream, mayonnaise, olive oil, minced jalapenos, lime juice , and cilantro in it. you just throw all the ingredients into a food processor and emulsify it like salad dressing.

-M