View Full Version : How about a college like this for our central core?

Pete
08-06-2013, 04:25 PM
Absolutely stunning and innovative college with student housing and meeting space under construction in Hollywood:

RrU3QfFTpkc#at=184

ljbab728
08-06-2013, 09:33 PM
That is a spectacular building, Pete. I would love to have the building in downtown OKC but not as a college. A potential downtown college in OKC was discussed in another thread and most posters, as I do, think it's not a good idea. There is a big surplus of colleges and universities in Oklahoma and the Oklahoma City area. This college focuses on a very specific industry which is very viable in the area where it is being built. The only thing I would approve of in downtown OKC would be something which is similarly focused, like the ACM or OCU Law school.

Midtowner
08-07-2013, 07:43 AM
I believe UCO and OU have downtown classes available, maybe somewhere over in the Santa Fe Garage area? I'd love to see OCCC open up a downtown extension campus for degree completion programs, offering paralegal certificates, etc. I'd like to see UCO offer its MBA program. I don't think OU's MBA would be a good fit for downtown and of course OCU Law is going to be a great addition to the downtown fabric. I've become less and less enchanted with ACM, but it's still a good fit for the community.

But a whole new college? We need to be focused on lowering administrative costs, not duplicating them.

Pete
08-07-2013, 09:53 AM
Just to be clear, Emerson is a private specialty school focusing on new media, animation, film-making, etc.

I'm not proposing yet another broad-based college.

Plus, I just thought the structure was incredibly cool and innovative. :)

Midtowner
08-07-2013, 10:04 AM
Is Emerson for-profit?

I'd truly hate to see downtown littered with those for-profit vultures.

Pete
08-07-2013, 10:14 AM
Is Emerson for-profit?

No, non-profit.

Just the facts
08-13-2013, 08:31 PM
I would like to see downtown OKC have a polytechnic university, a couple of thousand students, and a division 3 basketball team.