View Full Version : Road Construction in Nompton

Bob Loblaw
08-06-2013, 10:13 AM
The kids are coming back to town and that's making getting from here to there in a timely manner semi-frustrating - but it's being made worse by numerous construction projects on Norman roads

Not counting the Main Street bridge project or the emergency Indian Hills Road bridge issue, there's construction/lane closures on:
1) Robinson heading east as you get to 24th NW (backs traffic up all the way to 36th NW)
2) Flood Ave north of Main; and
3) 24th NW between Main & Robinson

That's all I discovered as I scooted around town yesterday but that was maddeningly enough - anywhere else?

I realize there's NEVER a good time for road construction/lane closures but I can't help but wonder two things:
first, why weren't these projects done back in May when school let out as opposed to trying to cram them in now before school/football starts?
second, why are all these city road projects being done at the same time (or are they inter-related)? :headscrat

Bob

Geographer
08-06-2013, 10:25 AM
The kids are coming back to town and that's making getting from here to there in a timely manner semi-frustrating - but it's being made worse by numerous construction projects on Norman roads

Not counting the Main Street bridge project or the emergency Indian Hills Road bridge issue, there's construction/lane closures on:
1) Robinson heading east as you get to 24th NW (backs traffic up all the way to 36th NW)

That's all I discovered as I scooted around town yesterday but that was maddeningly enough - anywhere else?

I realize there's NEVER a good time for road construction/lane closures but I can't help but wonder two things:
first, why weren't these projects done back in May when school let out as opposed to trying to cram them in now before school/football starts?
second, why are all these city road projects being done at the same time (or are they inter-related)? :headscrat

Bob

Anything related to the interstate is ODOT and not Norman, so you can blame them for that one haha.

With the other ones? I am not sure. I'm sure there's some kind of funding timeline along with the capital improvements plan/timeline that they are trying to keep up with.

venture
08-06-2013, 10:34 AM
I'm sure timing is funding related on when the money is opened up. Of course then it depends when road crews are able to actually be there. Robinson has had some sporadic closures mainly for curb repair after Porter before 12th NE...but that all should be done.

Hwy 9 construction should start soon I believe on the widening project from 77 to 48th SE (in 2019 to 72nd and then all the way to Tecumseh).

kevinpate
08-06-2013, 10:56 AM
Tecumseh is still closed north of Porter if memory serves, but Porter is open all the way to Tecumseh now.

Plutonic Panda
08-06-2013, 11:52 AM
Well, you guys are doing better than Edmond, a city that can't seem to manage more than one road project at a time.

(Also, was the the title Nompton, intentional, if so, someone will need to explain that to me as don't have the slightest notion what that means)

ou48A
08-06-2013, 12:08 PM

Bob

It s not always posable but the City of Norman trys to limmit its road constuction during football season.
Projects are somtime are put off until after the season is over. Other projects are only started if they know they can get done by the next kick off date.

The State also attempts to avoid constuction that would impact football traffic. Sometimes the state has had contracts that requier both lanes of North and South I-35 be kept open for OU-Texas weekend..Fortunately much of the 1-35 reconstruction has been completed.

kevinpate
08-06-2013, 01:02 PM
Well, you guys are doing better than Edmond, a city that can't seem to manage more than one road project at a time.

(Also, was the the title Nompton, intentional, if so, someone will need to explain that to me as don't have the slightest notion what that means)

As for the title, figure it was a typo.

As for unable to manage more than one project at a time, I've been in Norman since 86 and Norman has pretty much always had multiple projects going on somewhere.

HangryHippo
08-06-2013, 01:07 PM
Nompton is a pet name for Norman given to it by OU students. At least that's why I and most of my friends call it Nompton. Our little hood (the compton part) in Norman = Nompton.

Mr T
08-06-2013, 01:08 PM
I thought it was a combination of Compton and Norman.

Plutonic Panda
08-06-2013, 01:21 PM
As for the title, figure it was a typo.

As for unable to manage more than one project at a time, I've been in Norman since 86 and Norman has pretty much always had multiple projects going on somewhere.i meant Edmond almost never has more than one road project going at a time and I can't remember more thn one major(or what would be considered a major) project at once. It's good to see Norman being bold and tackling them.

Geographer
08-06-2013, 01:22 PM
Yep...a lot of us tend to call Norman, Nompton.

Plutonic Panda
08-06-2013, 01:22 PM
Nompton is a pet name for Norman given to it by OU students. At least that's why I and most of my friends call it Nompton. Our little hood (the compton part) in Norman = Nompton.gotcha, thanks for the clarification! :)

rcjunkie
08-06-2013, 05:18 PM

Bob

Just got back from Arlington Texas,via I-35, I-820, I-30 and I-360, I will never complain about road construction in and around Norman ever again.

Plutonic Panda
08-06-2013, 06:55 PM
Just got back from Arlington Texas,via I-35, I-820, I-30 and I-360, I will never complain about road construction in and around Norman ever again.You and me both. They had literally the entire highway from Fort Worth to Austin being widened to 6 lanes WOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOW!!!!!!!!! Texas highways are freakin beast! It crazy man, and it was bumper to bumper too. . . Don't even get me started on the traffic in Austin, we took 130 going to Corpus and coming back we went through Austin and it was a freakin mess.

Mel
08-06-2013, 08:08 PM
I feel silly for using google earth to look for nompton.

bille
08-06-2013, 09:15 PM
Tecumseh is still closed north of Porter if memory serves, but Porter is open all the way to Tecumseh now.

Yes it is, from Tecumseh to Franklin. Between that (which seems to be taking forever) and Indian Hills bridge being out it's made trips to Norman more timely. Porter being closed is the most annoying however as it's our main path to Norman. I emailed the street department in Norman and nobody knew or could tell me about the project. Figures.

SOONER8693
08-07-2013, 12:21 PM
Yep...a lot of us tend to call Norman, Nompton.
That's really stupid/moronic.

Geographer
08-07-2013, 12:46 PM
That's really stupid/moronic.

To each his own.

venture
08-07-2013, 02:10 PM
The sad thing...I've lived here for 15 years and never heard the term Nompton used. :-P

kevinpate
08-07-2013, 04:03 PM
The sad thing...I've lived here for 15 years and never heard the term Nompton used. :-P

Ditto plus 12 more. This thread was a first time for me to see the term.

jedicurt
08-07-2013, 04:15 PM
when i used to hang out on campus corner, i heard it a few times said by kids who frequented Logans and the New O'Connells. i guess it is just O'Connells now aswell, not new

venture
08-07-2013, 04:47 PM
when i used to hang out on campus corner, i heard it a few times said by kids who frequented Logans and the New O'Connells. i guess it is just O'Connells now aswell, not new

Yeah I was bored and did a google search and found an entry on Urban Dictionary for it and a few other places. Looks like it is a certain demographic that tends to use it and not one that I normally associated with - so I guess that would be why. :)

SOONER8693
08-07-2013, 04:59 PM
Yeah I was bored and did a google search and found an entry on Urban Dictionary for it and a few other places. Looks like it is a certain demographic that tends to use it and not one that I normally associated with - so I guess that would be why. :)
Bet it's not too hard to figure out which demographic that would be.

Geographer
08-07-2013, 05:59 PM

Lolz.

ou48A
08-08-2013, 08:08 AM
The Nompton word has been around for at least 10 to 12 years that I know of.

The word has been pretty popular with some Norman High school, OU students and others who are trying to sound so cool.....
But when I have come into contact with these people IMHO they largely fail, sound silly and that's being nice.
Like many other fads most people eventually figuer it out and grow out of it.;)

venture
08-08-2013, 08:39 AM

Eh probably just a younger subset of folks. I normally find myself with an older crowd...always have.

dankrutka
08-16-2013, 12:31 AM

What demographic is that? I'm seriously asking.

I'm not so young anymore and I've heard the term used for at least the last decade or so for what it's worth.

Plutonic Panda
08-16-2013, 01:14 AM
What demographic is that? I'm seriously asking.

I'm not so young anymore and I've heard the term used for at least the last decade or so for what it's worth.My guess would be blacks. Associating Norman with Compton and Compton has a lot of blacks, that is what I would assume, unless race is left out of the equation. A younger, more "hip" crowd might be what he was referring to.

dankrutka
08-16-2013, 02:55 AM
My guess would be blacks. Associating Norman with Compton and Compton has a lot of blacks, that is what I would assume, unless race is left out of the equation. A younger, more "hip" crowd might be what he was referring to.

I kind of figured that might be the assumption, but it's a bad one from my experiences. Lots of white, suburban kids refer to Norman as Nompton. It would probably make for a good sociology study though...

Plutonic Panda
08-16-2013, 01:33 PM
I kind of figured that might be the assumption, but it's a bad one from my experiences. Lots of white, suburban kids refer to Norman as Nompton. It would probably make for a good sociology study though...Yeah and what makes it even more strange is, and correct me if I'm wrong on this, Norman is a town of white flight. OU seems like it has helped with diversity tremendously though, but it still is funny.

venture
08-16-2013, 03:39 PM
Yeah and what makes it even more strange is, and correct me if I'm wrong on this, Norman is a town of white flight. OU seems like it has helped with diversity tremendously though, but it still is funny.

It really depends where you go. If you go to NW Norman in the more suburbia area, you'll see more whites I would imagine. My neighborhood here in East Norman, which is only 15 years old, is a very realistic mix of everyone. We definitely aren't Gaillardia or Edmond when it comes to the white flight problem. :)

rcjunkie
08-17-2013, 07:43 PM
I have lived in Norman off and on for 30 plus years, Mom, Dad, brother and 2 daughters graduated from OU, son graduated from Norman North, and I've never heard the term Nompton. Live and Lean

RadicalModerate
08-17-2013, 09:14 PM

Bob

"Loblaw" . . . Coolest handle ever.
(i, too, would be confused about road construction if i didn't live in TheOKCMETRO (aka Nompton/Central North Sprawlburg) or had just moved here. i feel your pain.)

The worst stretch ever was the slab over by The Cowboy Hall of Fame between I-35 and Western that done stayed tore up fer about 20 years and the unconnected--yet equally annoying, to be fair--hunk of I-35 between the former Crosstown and Soonerville that still isn't finished. Did I say "isn't"? Sorry . . . I meant ain't.

I reckon ya' jist t' be careful where ya' scooters and equally as concerned about where ya' lob yer laws.
(but i've been wrong before. =)

Shee-it . . . You ain't seen nothing 'till you seen the Clusterphuques up thar in Minneapolis/St.Paul not far from Dinkytown.

Plutonic Panda
08-17-2013, 11:00 PM
"Loblaw" . . . Coolest handle ever.
(i, too, would be confused about road construction if i didn't live in TheOKCMETRO (aka Nompton/Central North Sprawlburg) or had just moved here. i feel your pain.)

The worst stretch ever was the slab over by The Cowboy Hall of Fame between I-35 and Western that done stayed tore up fer about 20 years and the unconnected--yet equally annoying, to be fair--hunk of I-35 between the former Crosstown and Soonerville that still isn't finished. Did I say "isn't"? Sorry . . . I meant ain't.

I reckon ya' jist t' be careful where ya' scooters and equally as concerned about where ya' lob yer laws.
(but i've been wrong before. =)

Shee-it . . . You ain't seen nothing 'till you seen the Clusterphuques up thar in Minneapolis/St.Paul not far from Dinkytown.http://i.imgur.com/e9Hel8T.jpg

ljbab728
08-17-2013, 11:46 PM
http://i.imgur.com/e9Hel8T.jpg

Plupan, haven't you figured out RM yet? LOL

I usually just read about one sentence and then move on.

Plutonic Panda
08-17-2013, 11:55 PM
Plulpan, haven't you figured out RM yet? LOL

I usually just read about one sentence and then move on.Yeah I have, he is a funny guy, but for the life of me, I couldn't make out anything that was typed and this was a specially weird paragraph he wrote lol

Bob Loblaw
08-20-2013, 03:54 PM
Sorry to throw some of you off with the verbiage - Norman, Nompton, Don't Edmond My Norman, Dallas North, call it what you want, I still love the place

Glad to have the OU kids back, glad that mine are going back to school, glad that the road construction on Robinson just west of 24th NW and on 24 NW south of Robinson looks to be done and dusted

Really wish the Flood/Main construction would kick into high gear as closing that intersection is really annoying at the moment - ODOT projects are what they are, made to take a long time so complaining won't do much - however, the biggest inconvenience my daughter tells me is the Chik-Fil-A parking lot construction - others might call it the Mardel's/Hobby Lobby parking lot, but for her it's all about CFA (my pleasure)

Bob