View Full Version : OKC City Employees & Unions

OKCTalker
08-05-2013, 08:31 AM
The city of San Francisco is dealing with another threatened strike by BART (Bay Area Public Transportation) employees which affects 400,000 commuters every day. So I wondered could it happen here? Are any of our municipal employees unionized? Which ones? Can they legally strike? Are there problems looming that might result in a strike?

MustangGT
08-05-2013, 08:40 AM
After the police strike in the 70's strikes by public safety employees were made illegal. As to the current labor situation there are no major issues or even minor issues that would anywhere rise to the level of real serious discord let alone a strike. Currently the battle is on the state level over pensions. The police pension is fully solvent. The fire pension only slightly less so. Teachers are so poorly funded that it probably will not survive without very expensive injections of capital or fundamental changes.

LakeEffect
08-08-2013, 07:35 AM
OKC is unionized on most service/field jobs, and I believe some low-level administrative staff positions. I've never heard too much grumbling from the unions...