View Full Version : Tulsa to get Wimax

oasis_812005
07-09-2005, 05:42 PM
From the tulsa metronet website:

Tulsa MetroNet is using cutting-edge WiFi and WiMax technology to bring residential and business customers hi-speed wireless Internet! Wireless service is affordable, fast, and lets you use your laptop, PDA, or wireless device anywhere there's coverage. We are not a "hot spot" like most WiFi locations at a coffee shop or fast food restaurant. Tulsa MetroNet is a large scale mesh network of continuous coverage that gives entire square miles of seamless access, and our network is growing every day. When all phases of Tulsa MetroNet are complete, a subscriber will be able to login anywhere in the Tulsa Metropolitan area. This means you could use your wireless laptop or PDA at home, in your car, at school, in a restaurant, at the park, riding in the back seat of someone's car, on the bus, while waiting at the doctor's office (and much more) all for one monthly price. Mobility is the future.

I think that wimax is the future of the internet and I'm really excited Tulsa is getting it. Was wondering if there is any plans for wimax in OKC?

Shake2005
07-11-2005, 09:49 AM
Tulsa already has an existing WiMax network with CherokeeConnex, this would be a second WiMax network.

venture
07-13-2005, 09:43 AM
OKC is already hot zoned with a mesh network by Tropos - the same company doing Tulsa. However it is restricted to emergency responders use only. Unfortunately the deployment of mesh networks is extremely high and unless it is a company with very deep pockets, it won't happen. Typically when WiFi companies approach metros about a mesh network, offering free access to the city is usually a negotiating factor - since the APs typically have to be mounted on city street lights.

mranderson
07-13-2005, 09:45 AM
What is "wimax?"

oasis_812005
07-13-2005, 04:41 PM
Wimax is wireless internet for large areas. Kinda like cell phone towers but for the internet.

This company is launching the wireless network on their own and they aren't partnering with the city. I believe it will go through. I would post the link but I can't since i'm a newbie.

venture
07-13-2005, 11:10 PM
The press release from Tropos is here: http://www.tropos.com/company/2005_07_07.html