View Full Version : H&M comes to Oklahoma ... via computer

kevinpate
08-02-2013, 05:32 AM
Like H&M?
Hate driving south of the Red river to shop H&M?

No worries, unless you just have to try something on before you buy.
H&M Online is now open.
H&M offers fashion and quality at the best price | H&M US (http://www.hm.com/us/shop-online-opening-us)

betts
08-02-2013, 06:40 AM
Are they collecting sales tax? If not, it doesn't really help OKC.

kevinpate
08-02-2013, 07:30 AM

I haven't made a purchase, but it would surprise me if they do not.

I'll agree to disagree it doesn't help OKC. Funds city shoppers spend going to Texas, other than gas purchased locally I suppose, do not help OKC. If Hal or Hanna H&M'r fan can buy the same clothes from a laptop in their metro living room, the trip to TX travel funds are freed up, and possibly will be spent locally instead of elsewhere.

My niece and daughter are both happy about the news. Neither live near the metro, but their respective communities are even further from an H&M brick and mortar than OKC is from Plano, so online is a nice addition to their list of shopping choices.

BoulderSooner
08-02-2013, 07:45 AM
I haven't made a purchase, but it would surprise me if they do not.

it would be shocking if they did

venture
08-02-2013, 07:52 AM
I took a look yesterday when it opened. Didn't see anything to buy right now, so meh. LOL To answer the question, no they don't collect sales tax. Why would they? They don't have a location in Oklahoma and therefore aren't required.

betts
08-02-2013, 08:04 AM
I try to avoid Internet shopping. I like to feel like I'm contributing to MAPS and local businesses. But that just my opinion.

kevinpate
08-02-2013, 08:13 AM
I sit corrected on the sales tax Q. It would be the responsibility of the individual to remit the appropriate use tax for such purchases. Of course, last estimate I saw was that only about 4% of folk actually do this.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
08-02-2013, 08:17 AM

Probably not.

But neither does the place that I buy my expired candy corn in 30 lb bags. Though they should for what they charge.

venture
08-02-2013, 08:24 AM
I try to avoid Internet shopping. I like to feel like I'm contributing to MAPS and local businesses. But that just my opinion.

Which everyone is entitled to. :) For me...I love my Amazon Prime account and get the most out of the free 2-day shipping.

Spartan
08-02-2013, 09:48 AM
Have they not always had online shopping? I don't get it...

bchris02
08-02-2013, 10:25 AM
Amazon, in my opinion, is worse for local business than Wal-Mart. Circuit City, Ultimate Electronics, CompUSA, Borders, Waldenbooks, numerous home and car audio stores, etc are all gone because of them. Best Buy and Barnes and Noble are in jeopardy because of them. In my opinion anyone who is anti-Wal-Mart but buys from Amazon is showing hypocrisy.

However, shopping online at H&M may have some benefits. If they get enough online orders coming in from the OKC area they may be more likely to put a store here.

Dubya61
08-02-2013, 11:19 AM
Amazon, in my opinion, is worse for local business than Wal-Mart. Circuit City, Ultimate Electronics, CompUSA, Borders, Waldenbooks, numerous home and car audio stores, etc are all gone because of them. Best Buy and Barnes and Noble are in jeopardy because of them. In my opinion anyone who is anti-Wal-Mart but buys from Amazon is showing hypocrisy.

However, shopping online at H&M may have some benefits. If they get enough online orders coming in from the OKC area they may be more likely to put a store here.

Amazon either does or intends to start collecting sales tax on all sales. They are in an agreement with the various governments that will actually be quite profitable for them to make it work for them, and then begin collecting it for other online entities for a small fee.

Plutonic Panda
08-02-2013, 11:26 AM
I buy from the Internet all the time and I wish they would collect sales tax to help with infrastructure improvements and such.

Spartan
08-02-2013, 12:39 PM

The absence of H&M is weird. They're not Nordstrom's. The Cleveland area might have a half dozen I think. Dallas and Houston have several, too.

bchris02
08-02-2013, 03:01 PM
The absence of H&M is weird. They're not Nordstrom's. The Cleveland area might have a half dozen I think. Dallas and Houston have several, too.

I agree. H&M isn't a stretch for OKC and I wouldn't be surprised to see them one of these days.

pure
08-02-2013, 04:49 PM
My thing about H&M is their sizing is all over the place. I have a lot of t-shirts from them, all size Medium, all fit differently. (same style/model). I also have button-down shirts from them, all range in size from Small to Large....all fit the same. I probably won't shop online on their website since their sizing is so screwy.

venture
08-02-2013, 06:23 PM
Have they not always had online shopping? I don't get it...

Nope. Just started yesterday.

I don't think they are worse by far. I dabble in selling laptops and Amazon is a huge help with that by selling through them. They are a huge help when it comes to getting to a larger audience. Book stores also love them. A lot of them use it to sell books that no longer sell from their stores. Yes you have to be competitive and don't get the margins your brick and mortar store would, but it is better than them collecting dust.

Spartan
08-02-2013, 07:47 PM
I agree. H&M isn't a stretch for OKC and I wouldn't be surprised to see them one of these days.

They'll probably do a Dick's-style expansion

Questor
08-02-2013, 08:28 PM
I was going to say, I'd have sworn it was already possible to buy online from them.